View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-24, 23:55

Heh, the Illustrator comment is interesting because my mom is in the same situation. She's used Illustrator in Systems 6-7 (about ten years) for longer than she's used it in OS 8-X (eight years), and she still uses Illustrator 6 in classic mode because she's used to it (in addition to Illustrator CS). And she still holds down on menus instead of clicking once, as if she's using System 7. So you think 5.5 was the pinnacle? I thought that was 6, since version 7 sucked and messed with everything. I have worked with 6 a bit myself, creating simple artwork when I was in grade school. I would make little pictures of Star Wars ships and then paste them into battle scenes. Some of them got pretty complex.

Anyway, back to the topic. I've also tried networking System 7 to OS X and have had problems. It's possible, but I think it can only go one way. I don't remember which way though... I guess I had to use the OS X machine to browse the files on the System 7 machine. I mean, I was able to get all the transfers working, but only when accessed from the OS X machine. So you might consider upgrading to OS 8 on that PowerMac. You might also be able to move some TCP/IP files from an OS 8 installation into System 7 - I know that you can move the Appearance Manager from OS 8.0/8.1 into a System 7.5.x or 7.6.x installation and actually get System 7 to look pretty like OS 8. So if you have the ability to get OS 8.0 or 8.1 installed on a different computer, you should try moving the TCP/IP extensions and control panels into your 7.5.3 system folder.

Otherwise I'd say just upgrade to OS 8. Really, get with the times man! 8.0 came out in 1997.