View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-15, 13:16

True. The first two were the best (and yes, it's quite telling that the best one, "Empire", wasn't written or directed by him ). The third one, I like, but it was much lighter and campier (Harrison Ford acted like a doofus throughout, the "comic relief" - but not even good or edgy like he was in "Empire" - and the Ewoks certainly gave it a particular Disney-ish vibe).

The original idea, if that's true, would've been so much better (Wookies, etc.). That was kinda the first peek, the Ewoks, to the "cute" fascination or a conscious "let's make it for kids", I guess (later resulting in Jar Jar, etc.)?

Kids and grown-ups alike could watch and enjoy the originals. I know very few adults who feel anything about the prequels, beyond the initial, fleeting thrill of "ohmigosh, new 'Star Wars' movies...allriiiiight!" (but that quickly faded upon viewing).

Truth is, we, as kids, were never that stupid and dumbed-down. I saw the first two at ages 8 and 11, and nothing was spoon-fed to me. I didn't require any excessive cuteness or wisecracking to "get it" as a kid. I loved them just the way they were...the rebels on the run, Luke's aunt and uncle murdered (and we saw the smoking skeletons), Obi-Wan whacking that guy's arm off in the bar, Han shooting the shit out of Greedo (first, and with no apologies), Alderaan blown to bits, killing all those detention block guards, Obi-Wan sacrificing himself on the Death Star, seeing orange-suited rebel pilots dying during the Death Star battle, Vader killing all his screw-up commanders, Luke failing over and over on Dagobah, Boba Fett tracking our heroes and then watching them ultimately betrayed by Lando, Han getting frozen, Luke getting his hand sliced off and learning the truth about his father, etc. That's all pretty heavy, serious stuff. And I ate it up as a kid! We all did.

That "blame" for these prequels, since he wrote and directed (and if the DVD extras are anything to go by, micro-managed every tiniest detail and asked some of the goofiest things from his artists and technicians), falls 98% to George Lucas.

I don't feel so bad saying that now because it's honest, clear-eyed analysis and observation. I can still love the franchise, but I don't blindly suck up everything thrown at me. I expect more.

The best parts of any of the three prequels can't even touch the worst parts, frankly, of "Empire". IMO.

BTW, I've scrounged up three more reviews of "The Clone Wars", and they were all negative...

Nobody is liking this thing...holy crap, I never thought I'd see that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-08-15 at 13:29.