View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-15, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
Isn't this just an animated, slightly changed version of Episode II? Seemed like it from the trailer I watched.
It takes place between the events of Episode II ("Attack of the Clones") and III ("Revenge of the Sith"). So no, not a remake or mirror. Just a "filling in the gaps". But yeah, it's stuff we've seen already (the clone troopers fighting the droids, so it's going to look a lot like much of Episode II, just from who's fighting, the machines and weaponry involved, etc.).

I don't see the point; we've seen it before already, via a feature film and an animated TV show. So it's not even new, fresh territory.

Quote:
Also, Yodas voice acting was unimaginably atrocious.
I don't think many people from the original six films are involved in this. No Frank Oz, John Williams or Ben Burtt (sound effects and editing). Certainly none of the people from the first three, and not even Rick McCallum from the prequels (although he's working on the TV version). None of the design guys from the prequels (no Doug Chiang, etc.). Samuel L. Jackson, Christopher Lee and Anthony Daniels providing voice work, but that's about it, actor-wise.

Quote:
In regards to the changes, I feel the change where Han Solo kills the bounty hunter in the bar in Ep. 4 is pretty telling. Originally, he shoots unprovoked. In the new version, the bounty hunter shoots first. Why change it? Han Solo is not a nice guy.
I guess for the same reason(s) Steven Spielberg removed guns from "ET" and replaced them with walkie-talkies...terminal pussification and acute boneheadedness?

Lucas had to make Han Solo more "likable" and non-threatening for those 90's kids, I guess (apparently those of us who saw him nail Greedo first in 1977 were scarred for life). Messing up an otherwise awesome scene with dodgy positioning effects and a rushed "Greedo shoots first!" bit of CGI work was just silly.

No, it's not a huge thing and it doesn't "ruin" the movie. But here's what it does do: it undoes a bit of stature/vibe. Even in 1977, at eight years of age, seeing Han Solo unbuckle his holster and get the drop on Greedo was cool. It showed, right there, that you're dealing with a bit of a bad-ass cowboy (something that movie needed).

The digital re-working to "Greedo shoots first" - in addition to being so damn unnecessary and silly - was also done in the most unnatural-looking, goofball way imaginable. The reason people hate it is two-fold: it robs the beloved Han Solo of two-plus decades of a certain image/rep, and it looks so cheesy and manipulated (how did Greedo miss from that distance? He was right across the table!).

Just one of a few dozen "Lucas-isms" from the past decade or so...

I know they're his movies and he's got the right to make them look the way he wants, but every time he gets his digital paintbrush out to "improve" the original trilogy he just takes something away (or, worse, adds something that doesn't need to be or that helps).

I'd have so much more admiration for him, at this point, if he said "you know, I've told this story...the Skywalker/Clones/Vader thing. Six movies, TV shows, etc. Let's go back 1,000 years and look at things from the start...the first Jedi and Sith".

Or hell, even "let's explore this universe 100 years after the fall of the Empire" or "we've got two of the most popular characters in movie history - Han Solo and Boba Fett - and we've really not done anything with them; they've both got an interesting life and backstory...let's create, and follow, their adventures in a new movie!"

Nope. More clones and droids, and Anakin and Artoo and anyone else they can cram in from the six films (Jabba? As a baby? Really?).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-08-15 at 15:30.