View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-10-29, 16:48

I always wonder about high profile failures and their consequences, within an organization like Apple.

I mean, certainly Siri and Maps were over-promised and under-delivered, and sure Forstall was in charge of those efforts, but I can't imagine major initiatives such as those just sort of happen in Scott's Secret Lab and he occasionally checks in with Tim and Tim goes "So we're cool with the magic software?" and he's all like "absolutely boss, magic as hell" and then they release them and they have problems and Tim is all like "FORSTAAAAAALLLLL!!!!! YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE NOW!!!!"

You know? If Maps wasn't ready I would have thought there would be some kind of checks and balances in play, and if it was behind schedule and Forstall wasn't getting it done, we should have never known about-- as opposed to just releasing the thing as is and letting the chips fall where they may.

At any rate, clearly the Browett piece is good news, and speaks well of Apple's ongoing commitment to the Store experience (although what the decision to hire him in the first place meant is less clear).

I guess being willing to admit you made a mistake and correcting it is a good thing, and all, but even better would to be to not make so many mistakes.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated