View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-03, 14:10

While I was scouting chunks recently to delete for regenerative smoothing, I had another thought, but I didn't want to hold up the 1.19 upgrade on account of it.

How would we feel about deleting 3.1? It's the one south-east of 709's museum and directly east of Ken's castle town. I peeked underground and checked the surface, and I couldn't find any signs of civilization save for one thing: preserving the canal south of the museum that runs east-west. I think the east-most structure in the vicinity is the underground collider track, and it's plenty clear of the edge. Between the collider and the edge is what appears to be an old mineshaft that has been lit up with torches and stripped of all useful resources.

With previous iterations of Minecraft's terrain generator, we would have been rightfully concerned that deleting that region could result in a new landmass blocking the canal. But now that it has really good transition smoothing?

I tried it locally, and here are the results. I explored along the edge, and it did a really good job of connecting to the canal to the west and ocean to the north. Plus, regenerating that region seems to have invited some villagers! (and who knows what underground). Here's how the new surface generated:

Thoughts? No strong feelings here one way or another, but I wanted to offer this up as an idea if we wanted to see more fresh land and resources. I'd want to get 709's and kscherer's blessing before proceeding, of course, and I'd probably just add it to the delete script and trim the whole world again to make sure bordering regions regenerate cleanly too without their old transitions.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.