View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-05, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
chucker,

I understand your point, but what does that have to do with the 'case' I presented?

Every note you posted is very applicable and of concern when it comes to a system with more then one user, or a system on a larger network of users. Non of them really apply to a single user system.

A single user would not need to restrict access to directories from other users as there are no other users on the system.
Well, Windows XP is intended as a "family" system, hence features such as fast user switching or the simplified login screen. It's not (primarily) a single-user OS. In which case, yes, it does matter.

Quote:
... I never said the 'protection' built-in to windows is useless. I'm simply pointing out that any security differences (in regards to that spectrum slice of security) between home and pro are a moot point because currently better tools for the job can be found for free with various third party sources.
And I disagree.