View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-04-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
This is how it COULD work. But does anyone think Apple - in true Apple fashion - might somehow try to fix up a way where folks couldn't do this? Who'd buy all new Macs if their processors could easily - and cheaply - be upgraded by the user?

Certainly isn't out of character for Apple to break, deny, block, cripple, disable, plug, lock, solder, hobble, etc. things like this if they thought it would affect Mac sales.

Summer 2007: "Hmm, I've got a Rev. A Intel iMac that I've had for nearly 18 months; I can buy an all-new iMac for $1,299, OR I can boost it to 64-bit, 3GHz goodness for a few hundred bucks...".

I don't know all the technical ins and outs, but are we pretty confident this is something Apple would allow and keep possible? Sure doesn't seem like their way...

G3 and G4 towers were not hobbled, and are very upgradeable. iMac's have never really been very upgradeable short of buying a new logic board with a faster CPU. I can understand soldiered CPUs in notebooks because it most likely saves space. Most users wouldn't know how to upgrade their machine so once it reached a point that they need an upgrade, its likely they'd just buy a new machine.