View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-12-19, 03:21

Works great. Replaced my Alienware/mostly custom built rig. No problems.

Can run F.E.A.R., Company of Heroes, Empire at War, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, and many more at 1920x1200, all settings maxed out.

Full specs in my profile, but the gist of it is: 2.66 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB Boot Camp partition, and X1900XT.

As for noise, it spins really loudly on startup, and then during an intense battle in EaW or a shootout in F.E.A.R. But other than that, very quiet.

I would also venture to guess thats it's somewhat futureproof... that is, keep bumping the RAM, and if ATi/nVidia releases a new Mac GPU every year or so, you should be fine. I bet this time next year there's an X2800XT upgrade available. Of course, an X2900XTX will be available for PC, but likely unnecessary unless you are pushing some serious pixels.

In theory, and this is strictly theory... if you had a monitor with multiple DVI inputs, you could install a PC video card in a separate slot, and then toggle your monitor every time you reboot. (Or switch the cable, but that would be a colossal pain the ass.) But thats completely theoretical, I don't even know if it would work, and probably unnecessary unless you are compelled to drive twin 30's or something.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.