View Single Post
spiff

Send a message via AIM to spiff  
2004-07-10, 19:28

I'm using a first generation flat panel iMac, 700 mhz, 256 RAM, OS 10.3.4. I have hooked up to it an external hard drive from Fantom via firewire 400.

The problem is that the drive keeps coming unmounted when I'm using it. Copying files to and from it in the finder usually doesn't give me any problems, but when working in iDVD with files on the external drive it keeps unmounting and giving me an error message saying the device was not properly removed.

Besides that, it's performance is a bit glitchy, some times it doesn't mount the first time it's turned on and I have to turn it off and then on again to get it to work. It's a 120 gig drive and I have about 80 gig worth of important files on it.

I have run a full test with a program called Drive 10 which said everything was fine. It did a random read and write and checked the power supply and almost a dozen other things. I have also checked for any sort of firmware update from Fantom and there is none. I have also just completely wiped my hard drive and done a clean install of OS X. I've had the drive for maybe 8 months now and have been using it only with OS 10.3, through all 4 minor updates and it's always given me problems.

Any help would be very appreciated.