AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Lets go ride bikes!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lets go ride bikes!
Page 2 of 20 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-04-30, 09:19

But where are you going to take your lovely lass to town, if there's no backseat to do your thing?
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-30, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
But where are you going to take your lovely lass to town, if there's no backseat to do your thang ?
better!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-04-30, 09:46

Well, in retrospect, I probably should have said thus:
Quote:
But where are you going to take your lovely lass to town, if there's no backseat to do your thong?
which would have been funnier.

Oh well.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-04-30, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I'm thinking of spray painting it a nice dull grey.
You seriously should !!

What about Flames's color ? ... I'm talking about a nice little purple and white. Like on this little dress you posted
Perfecting_Zero

2007-04-30, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
...platforms with enough surface area to throw a decent party! The fact that he consciously chose these...things...over clipless offers a good starting point for assessing his mental health state.

I'm no fan of reflectors in the spokes though. "An ounce off the wheels is a pound of the bike" and all that.

By the way, shaving your legs is not optional! You know you want to. Gives you an edge in the bluffing stakes, too.

DG, I couldn't have summed up those pedals any better myself! I chose platforms because so much of my riding is urban, stop-and-go mayhem. In truth, I've already acceded to the idea of riding clipless next season. Or, if I buy another bike this year, I may outfit that one with some clipless pedal-and-shoe-contraption. As it is, I ride those platforms with a super grippy/gummy shoe -- this one.

I've almost removed those spoke reflectors... so many times. I just keep thinking that they might save me from being car-splatted one night.

My legs are unshaved. And they'll remain that way... for now.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
beardedmacuser

2007-04-30, 15:30

Apologies for the crappy photos (I don't have a digital camera, so these are stills from my video camera) but here are my "rides" right now;

First-up my main training/commuting bike. A no-nonsense old-school steel frame from Bob Jackson up in Leeds hand built for me almost ten years ago now. Still riding like the day it was new! It's gone through a few groupsets in its time, currently running on a 9-speed Campag Centaur groupset. Who knows how many thousands of miles I've trained and raced on it?! However it is no longer my bike for racing, which is now my carbon Trek beast (but I wouldn't really want to use that for commuting and leaving at work).

And secondly my "town bike" for the days I'm not training and just want to get to and from work with minimal hassle, maybe just a little bit of speed and mudguards for when it's wet. It's some generic far-east factory built aluminium frame badged-up by Ridgeback here in the UK to which they've given a 9-speed Shimano flat bar groupset and wheels. I'm never going to run out of wheels for this beast; I've got three pairs of old race wheels waiting in line for it once these ones have had it!
Perfecting_Zero

2007-04-30, 15:52

ThunderPoit, that looks like a great cruising/commuting bike. Specialized has a wonderful reputation. Looking at the photo of your bike, I just see one of those stylish, sleek and contemporary brushed-stainless steel... what to call them? beverage containers. I guess you can't properly call them water bottles. And of course you'll need an equally cool cage. Colorado Cyclist is a good mail order resource for cycling accessories -- including helmets. Have you purchased a helmet yet? Also, REI is good. I've had excellent experiences with both.

Yes, a cycling computer will add another dimension to your rides: at least, it'll help you measure and meaningfully improve your rides. Decent cycling computers are inexpensive, and their installation requires just a little fiddling with small wires, nylon ties and precisely-placed magnets. I recommend a computer which includes cadence.

Finally, as a general suggestion and resource for all cycling enthusiasts, Sheldon Brown is a man who writes passionately -- if not a little idiosyncratically -- about cycling... and the idea of cycling.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Last edited by Perfecting_Zero : 2007-04-30 at 16:09. Reason: keep forgetting stuff
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-30, 16:24

We just about all ride bikes in Holland (as many of you probably know).
I use it for just about all my transportation needs between 1 and 10 km's. Since Leiden is a typically European compact city, I bike quite a lot. (I estimate about 15.000 km/year.)

Unfortunately, about half a million bikes unlawfully change ownership yearly in this country, so for crosstown traffic most people ride rather old and inconspicuous bikes. Many people own a second (better) bike for the weekend recreation though.

I've owned about a dozen bikes since I came to live in Leiden (16 years ago). My typical bike is bought second hand for about € 50,00 to € 100,00. So they last for about a year and a half until they break down terminally (or get stolen, though older bikes are relatively safe when properly locked).

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-04-30, 16:28

What do you mean by "about half a million bikes unlawfully change ownership yearly"? Is it illegal to give your kid your old bike or what?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-04-30, 16:53

Half a million is close to the figure in England too (440,000 a year), which works out to a bicycle stolen every 72 seconds.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-30, 17:23

What Dorian says.
Except that we are with 16,5 million and the Brits are with 61 million.
So the chances of having ones bike stolen in Holland are pretty high.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-04-30, 18:00

Aha, I tripped over your earlier statement, thinking they made a weird law making it illegal to sell your bikes to your cousins or something like that.

That's why euphemisms are bad.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-30, 18:09

English ain't my first language, so I didn't even realise it was an euphemism
Though literally it [euphemism] suggests that I'm using auspicious words.

I have a flat tire though - on my bike - which means I'll have to walk to work tomorrow morning.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-04-30, 18:13

Quote:
OK, I'm cheating here, but whatever. I took mine for a 100km spin this morning.

Set a new personal speed record of 282 km/hr before having to slow down for traffic. (damn cars)
Wait...you went 175 mph? Are cops lenient in Canada or can you just pick the right road and time to go as fast as you want?

btw, that is a kick ass motorcycle!

Last edited by macleod : 2007-04-30 at 18:30.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-04-30, 18:17

The mounties simply don't have sufficiently fast helicopters...
They do have horses though.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-04-30, 18:29

Yeah, they're not that lenient. You have to choose your spots carefully.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-05-01, 07:57

I suck at locking up my bike. I'm always spazzing out trying to juggle the lock and my seat and my bag. I think it took my less time to bike then it did to lock the fucking thing up. I gave up today and just brought the front wheel up to my office instead of locking it to the frame.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-01, 12:50

Hey ThunderPoit, as you're a new rider, here's another tip: don't try this (50 MB MPEG-1 video).

Actually, guys like that animate people such as this gentleman. Although with a face like his I can't really blame him for having a chip on his shoulder.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-01, 12:59

Quote:
Actually, guys like that animate people such as this gentleman. Although with a face like his I can't really blame him for having a chip on his shoulder.
And he says the bikers are the militant ones!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-05-01, 13:39

Quote:
Hey ThunderPoit, as you're a new rider, here's another tip: don't try this (50 MB MPEG-1 video).
Can someone teach that guy about video compression, please? We know you're on eleventy-bajillion megabit connection, Dorian, but some of us have to use BT's best effort...
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2007-05-01, 14:56

Here are my rides right now:

First up is a '05 Specialized Demo 8 Pro that I built up with the components from my old hardtail (pics of it are in a different thread I believe). Nothing too special about it; it is my main trail riding bike and Whistler / Sun Peaks bike. A few parts have changed since this picture but the bike is pretty much the same.

The next picture is of my new street / dirt jump bike that I bought for my birthday. Its an '06 Brodie Miscrient and it's just a simple single speed bike and the only thing that is different on it from the stock bike are the mechanical disc brakes, the forks and the bash guard.

stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2007-05-02, 13:32

This is my bike, a Lemond Zurich. I absolutely love it.

Road cycling is the shit.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 14:50

Here's mine (or at least a representative photo of mine):

'tis a joy to ride. I just need my back to stop hurting so I can get on it now that the weather's cleared up a bit.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 14:52

Lovely bike, stevegong, but does it really say "I brake for Koreans" on the top tube?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2007-05-02, 15:05

Quote:
Lovely bike, stevegong, but does it really say "I brake for Koreans" on the top tube?
No, Murbot is being funny as fuck and tampered with my post...
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-05-02, 15:07

I hope you have some proof, steve. You can't just go running around making accusations like that! I would never edit a post to include such inflammatory content.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2007-05-02, 15:08

Quote:
I hope you have some proof, steve. You can't just go running around making accusations like that! I would never edit a post to include such inflammatory content.
Oh damn right I have proof:

clickity click.

http://homepage.mac.com/murbot/.Pictures/lemond.jpg
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-05-02, 15:10

Hmm, forgot I had done that. My bad.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-02, 15:13

Quote:
Hmm, forgot I had done that. My bad.
Wow. It sounds exactly like a bitchy teenager drama queen would say to her plastic friends.

Did you take Midol or some kind of estrogen supplement?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2007-05-02, 15:20

So I did some hacking on murbot's computer myself, and check out what I found in his "family adventure" folder.

A pic of murbot on his "bike"

Sure looks cold.

P.S. He needs the oestrogen supplement to put on extra adipose tissue for insulation.