User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 77 of 103 First Previous 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81  Next Last Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-04-05, 11:25

I'm pretty sure our culture's affinity for the celebratory fist-bump came directly from the Wonder Twins.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-05, 11:27

It would be funny to see a well-made (capturing the full Zack Snyder vibe/flavor) parody of those characters set in this new Snyder-verse!

Desaturated, speed-ramping, nobody smiling, the twins killing bad guys left and right (jaywalking, double-parking, etc.). Maybe a giant spider somewhere?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-04-05, 12:00

zippy
Veteran Member

2016-04-05, 12:16

Crap. I forgot all about Gleek! Thanks for reminding me. Back when I was a little kid, and pretty much all super-heroes were cool, the Wonder Twins just never were.

I would actually love it if they introduced them and killed them off in the same movie. That's the only way to properly deal with them IMO.

Or, if not killed off, have the water boy end up permanently frozen in the middle of Antarctica and animal girl locked up in some weirdo's private animal collection.

(I do not know their names and refuse to look them up on principal)

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-05, 12:34

Zan and Jayna.

Those pics above are awesome. The third one looks like it might be an Alex Ross?

When I was little, I never missed the Super-Friends show on Saturday mornings. When I was real little, it had a certain look/theme/feel (it was just Batman, Robin, Superman, Aqua-Man and Wonder Woman). Eventually they added other characters and the bad guys all lived in a giant Darth Vader helmet in the swamp.

I always liked the earlier ones from my younger days. Those seemed more straightforward and fun (and are 10x more hilarious now). They had Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog as their young helpers/trainees(?). After 1977, everything had to start having a "space" or "galactic" angle to it (thanks to you-know-what), including Saturday morning cartoons. Things quickly spiraled out of control and even my 11-year-old self was like "alright, enough of this silliness...", and I graduated to more sophisticated, nuanced fare like Thundarr the Barbarian.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-04-05 at 12:46.
zippy
Veteran Member

2016-04-05, 13:09

I think you and I are about the same age. The Superfriends was awesome at that age. I can still hear that double-zing audio byte they did when doing scene changes, followed by the narrator's voice:

Ziiing...Ziiing.... "Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice, Superman and Wonder Woman were dealing with Lex Luther and Grod the Gorilla...."

Somewhere between those early years and the debut of the Justice League, I seem to recall an updated Superfriends where they first made Batman super-cool. The animation was better, the character was a bit darker/subdued. I didn't see many of those since I was older, but that was when I first started to view Batman as the stud that he is.

Good times.

But now you've reminded me of Gleek and provided the Wonder Twins' names. A pox on you!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-04-05, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Those pics above are awesome. The third one looks like it might be an Alex Ross?
*ding ding* Got it in one.

Quote:
and I graduated to more sophisticated, nuanced fare like Thundarr the Barbarian.
Ookla the Mok is my copilot.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-04-15, 01:10

To take a break from super heroes for a moment...

Scarlett Johansson has been cast as Major Kusanagi in an upcoming live-action Ghost in the Shell remake.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/...t-in-the-shell

Not sure if I'm quite on board with a live-action adaptation of that film.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-15, 09:04

She just never looks bad. There isn't a hair style, length or color she doesn't fully pull off.

I'm not familiar with this story/project, but just going by the source material is she playing a character who is Japanese? Is that not going to stir up a bit of a brouhaha/controversy? Or is the appearance/background of the character kinda open-ended or non-specified?

I certainly don't give two flaming shits, but I know how the molehill-to-Everest racket typically operates these days.
¡Damned!

2016-04-15, 09:15

Well she'll be naked within the first 5 minutes, so there's that.

I don't know if I'm on board with this one either. There's certain things that just shouldn't be translated from animation to live-action, and GitS is one of those things, imo.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-15, 09:20

How come?

Just the overall look or style would be hard to capture? Or it's just so over-the-top or stylized that it wouldn't translate to live action?

I'm not familiar with the thing so I'm genuinely asking.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-04-15, 10:36

Quote:
She just never looks bad. There isn't a hair style, length or color she doesn't fully pull off.

I'm not familiar with this story/project, but just going by the source material is she playing a character who is Japanese? Is that not going to stir up a bit of a brouhaha/controversy? Or is the appearance/background of the character kinda open-ended or non-specified?

I certainly don't give two flaming shits, but I know how the molehill-to-Everest racket typically operates these days.
Yeah, she's playing a Japanese character. It's pissed off some. I don't really give a damn. My concern definitely isn't casting her in the role, I'm sure she can pull it off.

[i]Ghost in the Shell[i] is a cyberpunk film, in the same vein as Blade Runner or The Matrix (in fact, The Matrix is in large part inspired by GitS). The main characters are a special-ops team in a futuristic post-nuclear-war Japan, some cyborgs, some human. They're tracking an elusive hacker across cyberspace as they find themselves wrapped up in all sorts of political intrigue and conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Well she'll be naked within the first 5 minutes, so there's that.

I don't know if I'm on board with this one either. There's certain things that just shouldn't be translated from animation to live-action, and GitS is one of those things, imo.
Maybe that makes the rest of the film worth it.

Quote:
How come?

Just the overall look or style would be hard to capture? Or it's just so over-the-top or stylized that it wouldn't translate to live action?

I'm not familiar with the thing so I'm genuinely asking.
I think both are the concern. It's a distinct style that's hard to capture in live-action.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-15, 11:18

Yeah, but it's Scarlett Johannson with short black hair (and possibly doing a lot of brooding/pouting while sporting some type of form-fitting outfit).

They've pretty much got my $8.75.

Off to read the Ghost in the Shell Wiki to learn what's what...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-17, 19:49

I just now saw the trailer for this on TV...

Possibly the perfect storm/The Expendables of chick-flickery?

If they could've only somehow squeezed in Sandra Bullock...

But holy smokes, talk about your chick-flick/rom-com trifecta: Julia Roberts? Jennifer Aniston?! Kate Hudson?!? Those are the all-time queens of the genre, each of them appearing in at least 65-70 movies of that sort over the years! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would've thought it was some sort of Funny or Die parody trailer...it's a little too "perfect" in the casting!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-04-21, 22:10

Amazon is producing a move about... Elvis meeting Nixon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTFEJVS/...0-347890f1b8ce

The trailer does not inspire hope.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-21, 22:20

It certainly helps, when portraying two extremely famous people, that the actors hired bear a halfway passing resemblance to the subjects. I guess since it got nominated for a bunch of awards, that recent Jobs movie just gave producers and casting agents free rein to just do whatever they want when filling roles, and putting "physical resemblance to the involved characters" at about #35-40 on the list of stuff to pay attention to.

Hell, making it animated (or just giving the Clutch Cargo treatment to actual still photos of Nixon and Presley) would be more convincing.

I don't know why shaky, inaccurate and "WTF?!" casting bugs me so much, but it sure does.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-04-21, 22:48

Quote:
Yeah, but it's Scarlett Johannson with short black hair (and possibly doing a lot of brooding/pouting while sporting some type of form-fitting outfit).

They've pretty much got my $8.75.

Off to read the Ghost in the Shell Wiki to learn what's what...
If you are going the check out the movie, YouTube (which, I just learned, rents movies) is the place to get it. Netflix doesn't have it anymore and Amazon's version is a newer edition with completely different animation. YouTube rents the original 1996 version. The content is identical but the styles are very different.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-04-22, 10:01

Quote:
It certainly helps, when portraying two extremely famous people, that the actors hired bear a halfway passing resemblance to the subjects. I guess since it got nominated for a bunch of awards, that recent Jobs movie just gave producers and casting agents free rein to just do whatever they want when filling roles, and putting "physical resemblance to the involved characters" at about #35-40 on the list of stuff to pay attention to.

Hell, making it animated (or just giving the Clutch Cargo treatment to actual still photos of Nixon and Presley) would be more convincing.

I don't know why shaky, inaccurate and "WTF?!" casting bugs me so much, but it sure does.
I'm with you.

Spacey looks okay, although watching the trailer I never thought "That is Richard Nixon," I thought "That is Kevin Spacey." Maybe it's just that he's done so much work lately, specifically playing a different President, that makes it harder to swallow.

Elvis looks completely wrong. Way too gaunt, sunken cheeks, like a bad Elvis impersonator. And he looks really old. I had to check - Elvis was 34 at the time of the meeting; his actor here, Michael Shannon, is 41. It's less of an age difference than I thought, but I guess he just looks old for his age, with pockmarks and lines on his face. Elvis in 1970 still looked pretty young.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-22, 12:18

Yeah, Michael Shannon looks like the love child of Patrick Swayze and Willem Dafoe and is about the most non-Elvis-looking portrayer - perhaps other than Danny Trejo or Don Cheadle? - they could've gone with.

I know, I know...good actors can, in theory, overcome that and "blend into the role" and "make you believe". So the popular wisdom goes. But let's cut the shit...neither of these guys are Daniel Day-Lewis, so that's maybe asking/expecting a bit much.

At this point, Kevin Spacey, to me, is just like Samuel L. Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman or Jack Nicholson. I don't see the roles they play...I only seeing these actors being themselves, over and over again. They're certainly not bad actors by any means. But they are a bit predictable and one-track at this point, IMO. You've seen one performance by the above guys, you've pretty much seen 20-25.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-04-22 at 12:32.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-04-22, 14:23

Silverlight to watch that Amazon trailer? No thanks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-27, 14:06

Saw this on Daisy Ridley's Instagram (hope it looks links right):

Rey is gonna be so cool to watch as her powers/skills grow (trained by Yoda Luke). She's got moves!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-06, 20:22

So I just got finished watching Deadpool. Finally, I know.

I was warned it would be so crass and vulgar. I actually laughed so hard the whole way through. I mean, I won't let my kids watch it and I recommended Mrs T not watch it either. Still, that was so funny and well worth the two hours to watch it.

Who is the female X-men character in that movie? I know I could search, but I don't recall her at all right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-05-06, 20:26

Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

And yeah... it's goddamned brilliant in its vulgarity.

The missus and I may have been dying at the proposal. There may have been similarities to ours. Not exact, thank god, but enough similarities that we were *DYING*.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-06, 23:34

Your ring pop was warm huh?

I was laughing so much because the humor reminded me of my Navy days.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-05-17, 10:22

Finally saw Captain America: Civil War this past weekend. Glad it was a matinee, as it wasn't anything I've not seen from this bunch before.

While it was loads better than Age of Ultron, it was still that same predictable, formulaic, ever-so-breezy (you truly get the sense that nothing happening in these movies really matters to the characters, as long as they can quip and snark their way through it with a few good zingers).

This stuff is just running completely on auto-pilot at this point, and is the epitome of check-box cinema.

I enjoyed it for what is was (I like Chris Evans, Anthony Mackie, Scarlett Johansson and, now, Elizabeth Olsen and the way they play their characters, so that's always a reliable aspect), but it's been right at 48 hours and I'm pretty sure I couldn't recall anything particularly meaningful or memorable about any of it (the overall plot, the villain, who's with who and why, etc.). When you have to cram 130 characters into something (and try to shoot for as short a runtime as possible because multiplex screening schedules) some shit is just going to fly by, or get lost all together.

The cinematic equivalent of cotton candy. Enjoyable and fun at the time, but nothing you really think or care about afterwards (or that you'd want too much of).

It looked great (I liked the huge, screen-covering title cards throughout that gave us the location we were in...Lagos, Bucharest, etc.). That's usually done in a smaller font at the lower left or right of the screen (and often in that military style teletype(?) font/sound effect). But this was big, white screen-filling Futura(?) overlay which was an interesting approach to take. This movie took place in quite a few international locations, so it appeared a good 4-5 times).

But the quipping, the huge CGI set pieces (and accompanying destruction), the "suit up" moments, etc. have all kinda run their course.

I think it's good they have a plan, and a definite out/end to this in the coming years. It's right on the verge of becoming self-parody and just a little too by-the-numbers.

All good things must - and should - come to an end. And this series is no exception. Until convinced otherwise, this property peaked at with the first Avengers movie or the Winter Soldier one, IMO.

Of course I'll stick through it all - I've seen them all at this point, even the two weak Thor entries - so I'm in for the long haul. But I know exactly what awaits...more of the same cotton candy. Tasty, but fleeting. Enjoyable while eating but doesn't stick with you at all afterwards.

I would, however, be interested in a smaller, character-focused offshoot flick, should Marvel be interested? Basically Black Widow's butt on screen for 120 minutes? Black jeans, dress, leather jumpsuit, post-shower towel, etc. Pretty much a guaranteed $600M on a $30,000 or so budget, according to my back-of-the-napkin calculations.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-05-18, 20:56

Just wait till the Guardians of the Galaxy join with Doctor Strange and the entire Avengers crew in Infinity Wars.

Maybe throw in the Defenders for good measure.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-05-19, 10:40

That's true. They're definitely working to that. It'll be a glorious, eye-popping mess, I's sure. And my goofy, pointlessly-loyal ass will be there, of course. Again.

But, hey...at least they have a plan and have obviously mapped all this out years ago and it's all falling together just like it should, piece by piece and well-planned.

You know, unlike that other comic company and their big-screen endeavors...

"Hey, let's cram all our characters, upfront, into a single underperforming, point-missing movie in such an incoherent, ham-fisted way that ensures nobody gives a true flaming crap about any of it, going forward! Let's kinda make it up as we go, and let the same director keep blowing bazillions on uninspiring, muddled WTF-ness that isn't connecting with audiences the way you'd think it should, considering the characters involved! Yeah, that's how well do it!" - DC/WB

*ducks*
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-05-19, 11:01

Side note: I saw Civil War two weeks ago, at a theater in Singapore. You don't really grasp American soft power until you watch Captain America duke it out on-screen in a foreign country.

I had a similar realization a few years ago when I watched the last of the Nolan Batman flicks at a theater in Malaysia, that ours is the only national anthem heard round the world. Kinda surreal actually.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-04, 10:37

I got up this morning and asked myself if there was anything exciting coming out of Hollywood, so I popped over to iTunes Trailers and found this. Two minutes later I realized that Hollywood—all of Hollywood—is smoking something very, very bad.

Seriously?

I mean, the cute little placeholder looked like something Pixar would do. You know, sort of in a Cars way. Very deceiving. I think I'll sue for false advertising. The pain and suffering I just went through is enough to make me spend the rest of my day cowering under my desk.

What are these people thinking, and why do they do this to me?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-06-04, 16:19

Still looks better than Mother's Day.

Been on a South Korean crime/noir/thriller/mystery tear of late.

I rewatched Chan-wook Park's (or is it the other way around? I've seen it both ways) "vengeance trilogy" ("Lady Vengeance", "Oldboy" and "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" (all on Netflix, as are all of the following).

And I also rewatched my favorite of this whole genre/style, "I Saw the Devil". So good/enjoyable.

And while on a two-week vacation/housesitting gig in KC, I watched:

- A Hard Day
- Blood and Ties
- Confessions of Murder
- For the Emperor
- Monster
- No Tears for the Dead
- The Chronicles of Evil
- The Commitment
- The Divine Move
- The Man from Nowhere
- The Suspect

I liked a few of those quite a bit (The Man from Nowhere, A Hard Day, The Chronicles of Evil), but I enjoyed all of them in one way or another.

I like anything from South Korea with cops, killers, gangsters, revenge, a secret/mystery, etc. I always watch the English subtitle versions, with the original Korean audio/dialogue. I don't understand any of it, but I think the emotion comes across better (and there are no distracting mouth movement mismatches as there would be with an English overdubbing).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-06-04 at 16:31.