Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2018-09-12, 12:49

iPhone XS and XS Max
  • they're calling it 10-ess
  • 5.8" and 6.5" super retina screen
  • IP68 water resistance (2 meters / 30 min)
  • 3D touch, tap to wake, FaceID, color
  • cool stuff about 7nm, improved CPU GPU and neural engine
  • up to 512GB internally and new gold color
  • camera improvements: 12MP wideangle + telephoto on back, OIS, new sensor ; front camera has IR and RGB cameras
  • faster networking, more bands, dual sim and e-SIM
  • more battery, 30 min on standard and 1.5 hour more on max

and also!

iPhone XR
  • colors: white, black, blue, coral, yellow, and product RED
  • IP67 dust/liquid protection
  • edge to edge LCD display with the notch, "fanciest LCD ever in a smartphone" and they call it "Liquid Retina", has truetone
  • bigger display than iPhone 8+ and smaller physical design than 8+
  • appears to have the same wide-angle camera system on back and TrueDepth on the front
  • 1.5 more hours of battery vs the 8+

and the US pricing details
  • XS: starts at 64GB and $999
  • XS Max: starts at 64GB and $1099
  • XR: starts at 64GB and $749

Friday Sep 14 for the XS series and October for the XR.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

Last edited by Capella : 2018-09-12 at 13:41.
¡Damned!

2018-09-12, 13:55

Looks like 'scates finally gets his orange iPhone! (if the coral color on Apple's website is accurate)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-12, 14:13

So no more SE. That kinda sucks for those looking for a small phone.

I have an iPhone 7 that I'm ready to upgrade. I'm thinking I'll end up with the 64GB XS. I want the better camera more than anything. While I could get away with the XR, I like the stainless steel and the fact that the XS seems slightly smaller.

My 7 is 128GB and I have 88GB free. Clearly I don't need more space so 64 would be just fine. Plus, I pay Apple for 2TB of storage for my family now. Might as well get the most of it!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-09-12, 14:20

The Xs is the same size as the X. I have the X and think it is perfect. A bit big in the pocket, but I've gotten used to it.

I have no reasonable need for this much phone, but it sure is cool!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2018-09-12, 15:03

Wait so the 128GB model is gone altogether? Harrumph! A $1049 XS model would've been nice.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-09-12, 17:31

Even though I bought an 8 last year, I plan on upgrading to the Xs. Face ID and the dual lens setup are the killer features for me.
noleli2

2018-09-12, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Yup. Came here to say that. (Hey, y’all 👋 Been a while!) My SE had better last forever. Will this incentivize me to use a case? Nah…
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2018-09-12, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
Yup. Came here to say that. (Hey, y’all 👋 Been a while!) My SE had better last forever. Will this incentivize me to use a case? Nah…
I'm so glad I'm not the only one salty about this. I really wanted an SE 2, with 7S or 8 guts in the formfactor.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-13, 00:30

I was hoping too, but clearly Apple isn't looking in that direction anymore. Steve's "one hand" requirement is clearly a thing of the past.

I was looking through the colors of the Xr and like the idea of Red but there is something just drawing me to the Xs. I'm sure it's the camera and Stainless Steel. I'm a sucker for polished SS.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-09-13, 10:04

I can’t bekieve I’m saying this but I think Iim going to skip this years update. Going from an X to an Xs seems like a minimal update. Definitely jumping on some stainless Apple Watches tonight though.
noleli2

2018-09-13, 10:39

I realized that by discontinuing the SE, Apple no longer sells a phone that

• Can be comfortably used with one hand
• Doesn’t have a notch
• Can sit flat on a table without a case

What’s going on over there‽
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-09-13, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I can’t bekieve I’m saying this but I think Iim going to skip this years update. Going from an X to an Xs seems like a minimal update. Definitely jumping on some stainless Apple Watches tonight though.
I have a X, and have no need for a Xs. Probably wont upgrade for another 2 years or longer. This thing is just crazy good! My wife is headed to AT&T tonight to hunt for a X on clearance. It's that good of an iThing.

Quote:
I realized that by discontinuing the SE, Apple no longer sells a phone that …

• Doesn’t have a notch …
Neither the 7 nor the 8 have notches.

And I can tell you that, after most of the year with a X, the notch whining is just that: whining. Both notches serve a purpose, neither gets in the way, and the look of the phone has grown on me. No one will ever mistake it for a Samsung!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
heymargaux

2018-09-14, 00:48

I like the new design and the camera specs wherein you can easily blur the background without trying so hard.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2018-09-14, 09:11

Not a a bad set of updates, although not having 3D Touch across the entire lineup just makes them look cheap at this point, not on XR, really? As someone who uses the feature a lot that’s a deal breaker. Guess I’ll keep my 6s yet another year, I refuse to pay for the top end phones since prices in Canada are ridiculous (the XR 64GB is $1029).

Count me as another person who dislikes that the phones keep getting bigger, but then I don’t tend to use my phone to watch TV show or movies, since it’s much more enjoyable to watch on an iPad.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-09-14, 12:22

I hear a lot of folks around here complaining that the SE is gone. That form factor had a large following, and I think it is a mistake to drop it, although I consider it too small. However, I am not the only customer Apple has.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-09-15, 00:44

I know someone in the contingent who will miss the SE. It actually looks really cute now. Time marches on, some get left behind. I've been one of those before and will again. Sucks when you're in that barrel

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-09-15, 15:18

Quote:
I realized that by discontinuing the SE, Apple no longer sells a phone that

• Can be comfortably used with one hand
• Doesn’t have a notch
• Can sit flat on a table without a case

What’s going on over there‽
In theory, I would prefer a smaller phone. In practice, while I miss being able to swipe down Notification Center with the very thumb that's holding the device, it really doesn't bother me much. On the contrary, I appreciate more screen estate and easier typing with my fat fingers.*

I don't have an X yet, but: in theory, no notch might be nicer. In practice, complaints about it on Twitter died down fairly quickly. Seems to me that those who actually own one found that it didn't really bother them.

Lastly: the wobbling is a bit disconcerting, I guess? But while I often put my phone on the table, I don't do so to use it. It's kind of a poor form factor for that. I can imagine it being more problematic on the iPad Pro, however.

But, to get back to the SE: I believe it was Siracusa who's optimistic they'll bring back a smaller size in a year or two. I'm not so sure. Most other manufacturers don't, suggesting that the market has spoken loud and clear that they want larger sizes. I can see why.

(And if you want a really small devices for phone calls, Apple does offer that now, separately…)

*) To be clear, they did once make an ad campaign about how the thumb should be able to reach the entire screen, so…
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2018-09-15, 20:45

The only thing that really bugs me about the bigger phones is pocket fit. It can be hard enough to get my 6s out of my pocket at times, cannot imagine having something any bigger. The size of the SE was perfect, but I skipped on the SE, because it lacked 3D touch. Typing is much easier on the bigger phones, but that's not a big part of my job, so it's not a high priority.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2018-09-15, 23:22

Where is 3D Touch now? Oh wait I have memoji.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2018-09-16, 05:09

I'm leaning iPhone XR@128gigs for $799. I've used about half that amount on my iPhone 7@128. At this stage I'm starting to spend more time deleting apps than adding them. I'm starting to slim down the use on my phone to fewer things that waste less time. I'm a bit worried about the all glass phone and I'm hoping repairs on any problems occurring with this phone would be more reasonable than they were reported for the iPhone X (and I'm presuming that trend would continue with the XS, etc.)

I'm willing to try FaceID now that it has been out for a year and round 2 will be a bit faster. (I did the same with Touch ID back in the day.) I'm going to presume the LCD won't have the color shifting or burn-in potential that the more expensive OLED displays have as a concern. It's the only phone with a 128 gig option for $50 which is my sweet spot both in use and in cost. It has about 95% of the top end features for about 70-75% of the cost.

Finally I don't even really need a new phone but the kiddo is stuck on an iPhone 6 and so time to pass on mine and he gets the upgrade an upgrade as well.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-09-16, 06:50

I don't have new phone fever right now (still have 7 installment payments left on my 7 Plus) but I was curious to determine which phone would suit me when I do eventually upgrade in a year or two.

Apple has a page set up for just that purpose.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-09-16, 17:14

Put in a preorder for the 256GB XS.

I currently use about 60GB with a ~third being photos. Tempted to change the order to a 64GB and just let iCloud sync older photos off the device, but I figure I'll end up regretting a phone with that little headroom.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-09-16, 22:59

My 7 Plus has 256GB of storage and it has proven to be the game changer that will ensure that I keep and use the phone for at least 3, maybe 4 years. Using it over that sort of duration is my normal routine.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-09-17, 08:13

I was hoping to upgrade our SEs to SE2s (or whatever they would have been called.) Oh well.

I guess I'm different than other (most?) Apple customers. I like having my phone small and easy to pocket. Unnoticeable. But not so small that it can't be used for things that do require screen space if necessary... but no bigger. iPhone 6 tips the scales to too large (for me.)

When I need a bigger screen - like iPhone 6 screen size and bigger - I use an iPad. Apple is the king of the ecosystem. Why are they trying to make the iPhone more iPad-ish? They should be trying to get people to "accidentally" get a too-small iPhone and then, "Whoops, I need a bigger screen, better also get an iPad."

An iPhone Xc ('c' for "Compact") would have been sooooo . Same size as iPhone 5, but the screen goes to the edges like iPhone Xr.

Ugh.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2018-09-17, 15:06

The taller aspect ratio and greater screen to body ratio of the new phone makes it not that much larger, physically, than the iPhone 6/7/8. Despite the XR having a 5.8" diagonal screen, it's only 4 mm wider and 5 mm taller than the 6. The screen to body ratio increased from 66 to 83%.

Screen size is just one area where even Apple couldn't resist consumer demands any longer. The iPhone 8 is still for sale and it only has a 4.7" screen (which is tiny by today's standards; the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is 5").

Last edited by Luca : 2018-09-18 at 12:25.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2018-09-18, 11:38

I think this was the moment Apple jumped the shark for me.

Who named these things. Their marketing / naming dept has been such shit lately.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-09-18, 12:56

Hopefully, they'll eventually give up on the numbering. (Who wants an iPhone seventeen?)

Within a year or two, I'm hoping it'll become more like the Mac. The 6-inch iPhone Pro (Late 2019), the 5-inch iPhone Pro (Late 2019), the 5-inch iPhone (Late 2019). Done.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2018-09-18, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hopefully, they'll eventually give up on the numbering. (Who wants an iPhone seventeen?)

Within a year or two, I'm hoping it'll become more like the Mac. The 6-inch iPhone Pro (Late 2019), the 5-inch iPhone Pro (Late 2019), the 5-inch iPhone (Late 2019). Done.
I think you're right. But right now it is just getting to the point that it's farcical. The iPad is already there, I'm lost about the iPhone.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2018-09-18, 18:43

No doubt next years iPhone will be the iPhone X II, just to make it even worse.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-09-19, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
An iPhone Xc ('c' for "Compact") would have been sooooo . Same size as iPhone 5, but the screen goes to the edges like iPhone Xr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I think this was the moment Apple jumped the shark for me.

Who named these things. Their marketing / naming dept has been such shit lately.
I feel so embarrassed. I really should have checked with Apple's guidelines before posting. Of course I should have written, "iPhone XR."

However, as "iPhone Xc" is my own creation, it stands as is, with a lowercase 'c'. Sorry, Apple, that's a lowercase 'c' not a small caps 'c' (yes, you can totally tell the difference.)

Ugh.