User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Anti Virus and Malwear

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anti Virus and Malwear
Tom Marcello

2019-02-25, 21:42

What is the best anti virus and malware program that you use for iPad, iPhone and iMac? My bank account was hacked and I need to clean up all of my devices. Thanks in advance.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-26, 00:06

Well, your iPad and iPhone won't need anything. They are too sandboxed. If you are really concerned you can reset it in settings and restore from iCloud. I wouldn't bother though.

As for Mac, I don't use one so I can't recommend one. Dollars to doughnuts you were phished and not actually hacked. I'm guessing your Mac is clean but since I can't see it I wouldn't really know. The straight answer there though is a clean macOS install and restore files and apps you need. When you do that, create an "admin" account that you only use for installing apps and such. Then create another that is your daily use account. You use it all the time and not the admin. If you need to install a program it will prompt you for the admin username and password.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-02-26, 12:14

www.malwarebytes.com

All you need. Free download (trial is 15 days, but simple mode continues to work for free). Download, install, run. That's it. If it comes up clean, you are clean. If not, the software will provide a list of junk and offer to remove it. Do so. And stop clicking links!

There are no (zero) viruses running on Mac OS, so anti-virus is nothing to worry about. See this thread for a complete rundown on the different types of Yuckware®.

P.S. Don't click on those "Adobe Flash Player is out of date" links. 99.9% are scams. If you think you need a plugin, go to the horse's mouth and get it straight from the developer, i.e. Adobe, Java, etc. Never follow links for plugin downloads.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Tom Marcello

2019-02-26, 15:21

Thank you!
Tom Marcello

2019-02-26, 15:26

I used Malwarebytes on my iMac and MacBook . It found some items on the MacBook that my bookkeeper uses. Thanks for the advice and help.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-03-08, 01:26

I thought we were going to talk about bad clothes.

1claire

2019-03-11, 23:45

Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac is one of the most accurate virus protection suites for Apple devices on the market, and it comes with a host of features, including multi-layer ransomware protection, adware removal and more. If you're concerned about internet nasties, then this is the correct software to install.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-03-12, 04:16

I don’t know if this applies here or not but I’ve always been curious and maybe someone has an answer. Certain websites, whether when I go there in safari on my iPhone or via a link in Tweetbot, will take me to the page and then will redirect me to a spam page like a fake Amazon or something of the sorts. The original link isn’t spam though. It’ll be like a local news affiliate news article or something of the sorts but it’s pretty common and makes trying to read the article useless. Any ideas?

Just to clarify, this is only on my iPhone.

Last edited by Yontsey : 2019-03-12 at 04:36.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-03-12, 04:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
If you're concerned about internet nasties
Yes
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-03-12, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I don’t know if this applies here or not but I’ve always been curious and maybe someone has an answer. Certain websites, whether when I go there in safari on my iPhone or via a link in Tweetbot, will take me to the page and then will redirect me to a spam page like a fake Amazon or something of the sorts. The original link isn’t spam though. It’ll be like a local news affiliate news article or something of the sorts but it’s pretty common and makes trying to read the article useless. Any ideas?
If I understand correctly, this is an effect of the way ads go through networks, who in turn sell them to the actual websites hosting them. That is, a site like The Verge doesn't really control which ads its displays, and the network that does it for them doesn't always do a great job vetting them in advance.
leotekka

2019-04-19, 01:28

i love feces
¡Damned!

2019-04-19, 07:47

begone tbot!
Fakert
BANNED

2019-04-22, 02:35

Google would give a better answer,but for clean up all of your device,factory reset is not enought.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-04-22, 12:15

Lé sigh

murbot
Hoonigan

2019-04-22, 21:01

Jesus christ.
nina22

2019-04-23, 14:18

Don't click on those "Adobe Flash Player is out of date" links. 99.9% are scams. If you think you need a plugin, go to the whore's mouth and get it straight from the developer, i.e. Adobe, Java, Xender Tainter Omegle

Last edited by nina22 : 2019-04-23 at 15:13.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-04-23, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Don't click on those "Adobe Flash Player is out of date" links. 99.9% are scams. If you think you need a plugin, go to the horse's mouth and get it straight from the developer, i.e. Adobe, Java,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina22 View Post
Don't click on those "Adobe Flash Player is out of date" links. 99.9% are scams. If you think you need a plugin, go to the horse's mouth and get it straight from the developer, i.e. Adobe, Java,
I'm pretty sure a red flag just jumped up out of the back of my head. The bots are getting smarter!

Or dumber.

You decide. Hell, Nina22 copy/pasted on its first post!

Edit: The little bastard is editing its posts with inserted links after the fact. I wonder what it's like to get up every day knowing you're a worthless hunk of pond scum?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-04-23 at 15:22.
jiji20

2019-05-03, 19:27

so anti-virus is nothing to worry about. See this thread for a complete rundown on the different types of Yuckware
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-05-03, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
so anti-virus is nothing to worry about. See this thread for a complete rundown on the different types of Yuckware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiji20 View Post
Murbot?

Tell Brad to give me kill power and I'll help you with this nonsense.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-05-03, 19:37

They like copying you kscherer. You set quite the standard it seems.