Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple Media Event December 2

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Media Event December 2
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-18, 17:06

Well, another media event. Looks like Apple is just honoring some favorite apps, but strange to host a media event if that is all they are going to do. I can't come up with anything speculative, other than the official launch of the Mac Pro.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2019-11-18, 17:11

Weird.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-18, 17:19

Yeah. Not sure if Apple has ever hosted a December media event, before.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-11-18, 17:25

I have a bad feeling about this.

Either they have a surprise announcement, or this will be terrible.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-18, 17:52

It is possible that there were a few things they wanted to announce in September that just weren't finished yet, and they still want to get them out in time for that end-of-the-year-shopping-thing. Still, the tag line indicates they just want to talk about games and stuff. If that's the case, then who cares? Doesn't seem media worthy to me.

There is also the case that Apple may be working behind the scenes to push some apps that will get a lot of attention and suddenly start selling really well, which doesn't hurt Apple's bottom line.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-18, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

Part 2 of that Apple News thing from the spring. I've never wanted to jump off a bridge more in my Apple-using life.

"So, it's come to this, huh?"

They're positioning this as the software-honoring(?) thing, but you know it's going to be the official rollout of the Mac That Nobody Can Afford (and the monitor stand that costs Your Soul™).

Didn't they say on some call the other week that the new Mac Pro would be released in December?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-11-18, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
It is possible that there were a few things they wanted to announce in September that just weren't finished yet, and they still want to get them out in time for that end-of-the-year-shopping-thing.
Ehhhhh. Software-wise, that's possible.

But as far as hardware products go (say, the U1-based tracker), the window for a big holiday splash is over.

Puzzling.

(Apple+ services bundle?)
chucker

2019-11-18, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Part 2 of that Apple News thing from the spring. I've never wanted to jump off a bridge more in my Apple-using life.

"So, it's come to this, huh?"
I still haven't watched that video. Feels like I haven't missed out. Was targeted at Wall Street and Hollywood, I suppose.

Quote:
They're positioning this as the software-honoring(?) thing, but you know it's going to be the official rollout of the Mac That Nobody Can Afford (and the monitor stand that costs Your Soul™).

Didn't they say on some call the other week that the new Mac Pro would be released in December?
Yes, the Mac Pro is coming in December (and I believe the folks who got the MacBook Pro press demo also got to see the Mac Pro?), but showing it at this event seems… a poor fit?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-18, 18:04

I don't think they're going to show it any more than, "hey, this thing is shipping now."

Quote:
but you know it's going to be the official rollout of the Mac That Nobody Can Afford (and the monitor stand that costs Your Soul™).
I know it's not the display for "the rest of us", but find one cheaper. Go ahead, I dare you! Of those, the closest in price is more than twice the money, and only 17"!! Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a replacement for the LED Cinema Display and Thunderbolt Display, as would a number of our customers. I hate that Apple is not in that market any longer, but the Pro Display XDR is cheap compared to its competitors. That Apple doesn't offer a cheaper, more consumer-focused option does not take away from that.

Also, we have a client who will find the new Mac Pro an invaluable tool. Precisely the type of workload these types of systems are designed for. I can't afford one, and you can't afford one, but he can. I would have preferred a $2000 Mac Pro, but what Apple built is actually cheap, again when compared to its actual competitors.

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-11-18 at 18:21.
chucker

2019-11-18, 18:12

The first problem with that monitor is how they pitched it. The venue, the context, the way they priced it without the stand included, none of that was smart.

The second problem is that, after seven and a half years of Retina Macs, there still isn't a good option (or hardly any option at all) for an external retina display, and this just feels like adding insult to injury.

If they had simply shown it at, say, NAB, it would've been fine.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-11-19, 01:22

Waste of time and I wish the media would push back. Can’t wait to see Gruber defend this and continue to claim how careful and selective is when choosing to hold events.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-11-19, 04:02

I'll reserve my hip animosity until after the event, as I recall how wrong I was about some past successes.

chucker

2019-11-19, 04:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'll reserve my hip animosity until after the event, as I recall how wrong I was about some past successes.

Hm.

What's our scorecard so far? I haven't actually subscribed to any of those services, but it sounds like it's roughly:
  • Apple Arcade: A
  • Apple TV+: A-
  • Apple News+: B-
  • Apple Card: B

I haven't seen much negative stuff at all about Arcade.

TV+ seems to have launched fairly well, with no blockbusters yet but a reasonably good start line-up. However, the software/UX seems less than ideal (which is embarrassing for Apple).

I haven't seen anyone who loves News+.

People seem to find Card satisfactory, but it has problems, and I'm not sure Apple can convince us that partnering with Goldman Sachs was a good idea.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-19, 10:50

Quote:
  • Apple Arcade: A
  • Apple TV+: A-
  • Apple News+: B-
  • Apple Card: B
Interestingly, I don't use any of them.
chucker

2019-11-19, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Interestingly, I don't use any of them.
Me neither.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-19, 12:46

Arcade: Not much of a video gamer beyond Minecraft, and I barely have time for that right now. I'm buried in too many things and gaming takes a seat in the way back. Besides that, I'm just not compelled by the never-ending march of experimental video games looking for attention. They interest me not in the least, I find them incredibly mind numbing, uninspiring, and a total waste of time.

TV+: I just bought a new Apple TV so I could have Disney+, and it came with a free 1-year subscription to Apple TV+, but I have yet to even look in there. Seriously, until the Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg Army Air Force series is released, there is absolutely nothing in there that compels me at any point. Literally nothing!

News+: An absolute treasure trove of copy/paste journalism can be found in this black hole of partizan politics, sporting frenzy, movie star-worshipping, and glamor crap hole! Nothing in there but FUD and time-sapping BS.

Apple Card: Honestly, I tried on this, but got turned down. Apparently I am over-extended with my one credit card, truck, and two homes (one is a remodel project/flipper) and until that second one is finished and sold my credit is … really good (750+) but not good enough for Apple? Maybe that's a good thing.

Other than Apple card, I have no interest here, and may never try Apple Card again.

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-11-19 at 14:13.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-11-19, 23:49

Quote:

Hehe, yup Apple is going to announce that it is splitting. Everything Mac will be spun off under the new "Mac" brand, which will be lead by a former HP CEO. "Apple" will be phones, watches, and AI/Siri powered home hubs that will control everything from your lights to your garage door via machine learning that will figure out your schedule and make it things happen right as you need them to.

What will it really be? Homepod 2.
chucker

2019-11-19, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
What will it really be? Homepod 2.
Not a bad guess.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-20, 11:40

Hmm.

That actually makes sense. Although, considering the manner of things lately, it will be called "HomePod Pro" and cost $499.
chucker

2019-11-20, 13:14

Well, the rumor is more that of a HomePod mini, no?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-20, 13:40

MiniPods?

chucker

2019-11-20, 14:23

AirPods?

Oh wait.