AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhone Trust issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone Trust issues
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-11, 10:20

Why does my iPhone have trust issues with my MBP?

Almost every time I plug my phone in I have to "Trust" the MBP and enter my pin into the phone. Why can't it just understand that some relationships are made with trust and shouldn't be questioned constantly. Just trust it dang it! I'm mean, it isn't like the MBP cheated on it or anything.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-05-11, 10:57

You just have to give it time, man. It's been hurt before. Maybe don't rush straight to plugging in but try some wireless communication first to set the mood. Some light Bluetooth or Wifi streaming.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-11, 11:18

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-11, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Why does my iPhone have trust issues with my MBP?
There seems to be an issue in iOS 13. Try resetting your privacy settings to truly reconfigure computer trust settings.

Quote:
I'm mean, it isn't like the MBP cheated on it or anything.
https://i2-download.imgflip.com/4100o8.jpg
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-11, 15:47

Man, this phone really doesn't trust my MBP. Maybe I need to get my MBP and the phone on Springer to see if they can work it out for us.

I actually did the reset privacy thing and now other than having to approve all my apps access to things like microphone and location it still doesn't trust the computer once and for all. At least the phone trusts the apps that are on it after the first time.

Do I need a lighting adapter condom while this gets worked out?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-11, 16:08

Which OSes are you on?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-11, 16:19

10.15.4 and 13.4.1
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-05-11, 20:55

It's not just you, I've had this problem with my last two iPhones and a late 2018 Mac Mini. Nothing I do will fix the issue, but I hardly ever plug it in anymore so I don't worry about it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-14, 07:45

I ordered Qi pads so hopefully I won't care much longer either. I just don't understand why it is an issue to begin with and why it hasn't been resolved by now.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-14, 11:26

There is likely something that Catalina is struggling with. Some latent piece of 32-bit code trying to load in the background, maybe? Same advice I had in another thread: Try Launch Agents and Launch Daemons in your Library folders. We've been having more troubles than ever with those two folders, especially with 10.15. Clearing them out has been super handy at solving more troubles than I can count!

And I do mean "clearing them out!"

Also, have a look at all the remembered devices in the Finder (they used to be in iTunes, and now I think they live in Apple Menu/About This Mac/Storage/Manage and then under iOS Files. Nuke anything old, blah, blah, blah.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-05-14 at 12:07.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-05-14, 12:27

Quote:
I ordered Qi pads so hopefully I won't care much longer either. I just don't understand why it is an issue to begin with and why it hasn't been resolved by now.
Wait, do you plug the phone into your computer just to charge it?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-14, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Wait, do you plug the phone into your computer just to charge it?
Not specifically, but the dock on my desk plugs into a USB strip that is connected to the computer.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-05-14, 12:51

Ah, that makes more sense.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-20, 15:48

Updating to iOS 13.5 did not resolve this trust issue. Not that I expected it would, but it sure would have been nice.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-05-20, 19:30

I don’t even know if this would be an issue on my iPhone since I rarely plug it in to a computer.

I do seem to recall it’s been asking to be trusted, but who the hell knows if it’s all of the time.

Probably not a big enough complaint at this point for Apple to pay too much attention to at this point.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-20, 19:41

Yeah, I know. I should have bought a Qi dock for my desk but... this works so well. At least it did before I started seeing the trust issues.