Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Special Event 10Sep2020?
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-03, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Apple has been first to market with many things, like the notch.

But seriously, they have been first with many things, and done it well, but that seems behind them now. Apple seems very stagnant, other than in the silicon area. When the biggest innovation from a mega tech firm in a five year period is wireless headphones, you know they are running out of ideas.
I understand the idea, but disagree with the conclusion. There is more to innovation than just what we can see on the outside.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-09-03, 18:40

I honestly don't see any big under the hood type stuff coming from Apple in that 5 year period either. I think the only team at Apple that is really firing on all cylinders is the silicon R&D group. Anyway, sorry for dragging this thread off topic.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-04, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Samsung beat Apple to the folding phone market, too. And we all know how that went.

First to market is not best to market. Those two things are so completely different from one another that I'm surprised it's even an issue.
We probably won't ever get the full story on this, but I wonder to what extent the Galaxy Fold and the Apple Watch were expedited in their schedule based on analyst+pundit expectations. Apple "needs" to do a smartwatch because otherwise, Apple can't innovate Phil's ass any more. Samsung "needs" to make an innovative new type of phone because their high-end phones have become boring.

Both products ended up being a bit premature, and having some ideas that just aren't working. For example, from Apple's press release:

Quote:
Apple Watch will enable you to communicate in new ways right from your wrist by sending and receiving messages, answering calls to your iPhone, and with Digital Touch, sending something as personal as your own heartbeat. Apple Watch also introduces comprehensive health and fitness apps that can help people lead healthier lives.
That "also" ended up becoming the main function. Digital Touch still exists (I think??), but you won't find Apple mentioning it on stage any more.

(It's also interesting how some stuff mentioned there didn't happen for years. It mentions "an audio message through Walkie Talkie", but that feature didn't ship until 5.0, which doesn't actually run on the first watch. And "The companion Fitness app on iPhone" wasn't actually called that until iOS 14, which hasn't even shipped.)

These products were approached with "alright, we got the tech to put some sensors, a CPU, and a display in a wristwatch-like form factor; what do we do with that?" and "so you know how sometimes, you really wish your phone had a screen more the size of a tablet, and how our displays don't quite break entirely if we bend them a little?".

To quote a late 1990s' philosopher, “You’ve got to start with the customer experience and work backwards to the technology. You can’t start with the technology and try to figure out where you’re going to sell it.”

I still wear that "Series 0" Apple Watch every day — but I don't use quite a few of its features. It's clearly underpowered to run most apps, but even if it weren't, many of them just don't seem that enticing.

With Microsoft's Surface Duo coming up, maybe the foldable phone form factor will end up becoming successful, especially as a differentiator of the high end. But the Galaxy Fold ain't quite it yet, I think.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-04, 06:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
We probably won't ever get the full story on this, but I wonder to what extent the Galaxy Fold and the Apple Watch were expedited in their schedule based on analyst+pundit expectations. Apple "needs" to do a smartwatch because otherwise, Apple can't innovate Phil's ass any more. Samsung "needs" to make an innovative new type of phone because their high-end phones have become boring.

Both products ended up being a bit premature, and having some ideas that just aren't working. For example, from Apple's press release:

"Apple Watch will enable you to communicate in new ways right from your wrist by sending and receiving messages, answering calls to your iPhone, and with Digital Touch, sending something as personal as your own heartbeat. Apple Watch also introduces comprehensive health and fitness apps that can help people lead healthier lives."

That "also" ended up becoming the main function.
I get what you're saying, and you're right. But to be fair, the modern Apple does indulge itself in "hobbies" from time to time.
It was clear that wearables were the Next Big Thing, and Apple now has the time and money to relax a bit and throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks.

It's also clear that health care on this planet is in the dark ages, and Steve's hospital experience imprinted on the company's mission.

If not for the pandemic, telemedicine would still be a thing mainly for people living in the Arctic. We send rockets to space, but when we get sick we're still living Seinfeld's bit from the 90's where we're ecstatic because we've moved from the big waiting room to the small waiting room.

There's a lot of room for Apple to innovate in health, and the watch seems to have found its calling as the main diagnostic tool. Bring it on.

Quote:
I still wear that "Series 0" Apple Watch every day — but I don't use quite a few of its features. It's clearly underpowered to run most apps, but even if it weren't, many of them just don't seem that enticing.
Yeah, I really only wear my Series 0 during the workday. I like that it notifies me of calls (my phone's always on vibrate) and text messages.
I use it for exercise counting and will upgrade for health features, but I'd prefer a separate armband or something for sleep monitoring.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-04, 10:39

Quote:
To quote a late 1990s' philosopher, “You’ve got to start with the customer experience and work backwards to the technology. You can’t start with the technology and try to figure out where you’re going to sell it.”
Funny. I just watched that clip a few days ago.

And I still don't own an Apple Watch. I just cannot be bothered with one more habit-forming device on my person. Besides, I don't like anything attached to my body.

And I haven't owned an iPad since … the first-gen Mini? Which I used for about 6 months before the [still] utterly useless text editing tools chased me away. I haven't been back. And I still don't write anything on my iPhone, other than texts and notes. I've written 5 manuscripts, and editing them on iOS/iPadOS just sucks so badly that I've not written more than a few paragraphs. It's very poorly executed.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-04, 12:05

Yes, the iPhone is a great communication and media device, and the Mac is where real work gets done.

Everything else is optional.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-08, 08:28

Given we haven't heard anything I'm guessing there won't be an event on the 10th.

There has to be one coming soon though. I heard it from a reliable source. You can trust me...really.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-08, 08:57

I thought the current hot rumor is that there will be press releases for the Apple Watch Series 6 and the new iPad Air tonight.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-08, 10:32

Quote:
I thought the current hot rumor is that there will be press releases for the Apple Watch Series 6 and the new iPad Air tonight.
Only because of twitter Apple rumor nerd flexing. Prosner was wrong (but now claims he was right). Gurman was right.

Both of them are tools.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-08, 10:47

It's September 15th for the iPhone 12.
¡Damned!

2020-09-08, 11:03

More likely to be a new Apple Watch considering the tagline "Time Flies". Maybe iPads too?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-08, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
It's September 15th for the iPhone 12.
Gurman is putting himself out there and saying no iPhone announcement on September 15.

Pretty bold for him to do that. Also kind of weird if true, and may mean the iPhones are late October and Apple doesn’t want to destroy iPhone sales at the end of the quarter. But seems like the event wi inevitably be a disappointment for most without iPhones.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-08, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
There has to be one coming soon though. I heard it from a reliable source. You can trust me...really.
Wait, what? You must have a "reliable source inside Apple." What's their name? Come on, you can trust me!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-08, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Gurman is putting himself out there and saying no iPhone announcement on September 15.

Pretty bold for him to do that. Also kind of weird if true, and may mean the iPhones are late October and Apple doesn’t want to destroy iPhone sales at the end of the quarter. But seems like the event wi inevitably be a disappointment for most without iPhones.
I think a lot of people are forgetting that Apple has a few new Apple Silicon products to roll out this November/December.

So the product rollout cycle inevitably has to start earlier. Even without the pandemic, 2020 was always going to be a different year for Apple.
chucker

2020-09-08, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
More likely to be a new Apple Watch considering the tagline "Time Flies". Maybe iPads too?
Yup. That would mean Prosser was partially right about Watch + iPad. Just that he thought today would be the announcement. Instead, today is the schedule for the announcement.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-08, 15:00

At least apple is sticking with Tuesday for their announcements. That does tend to be their pattern.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-09-09, 00:38

Quote:
Wait, what? You must have a "reliable source inside Apple." What's their name? Come on, you can trust me!

Doesn't count unless they're making plastics.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-09, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Doesn't count unless they're making plastics.
:: nostalgic heart icon ::

chucker

2020-09-09, 05:57

There must be some (ThinkSecret?) reference that's flying past my head.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-09, 09:59

AppleInsider forums. We had somebody post in there that they were "making the plastics" on one of the as yet to be announced Mac products. This is roughly around the time that one of our folks here (not mentioning by name unless they want to step forward) was contacted by Apple because he drew a mock-up based on what we had heard about a new product, maybe a new mouse? It was the advent of the internet leak, and we were there as immediate bystanders. Probably had all of us on personal surveillance by Steve.

Good times

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-09, 10:02

There is only one person I could imagine doing the mockup. I was not around back then so I really don't know who it was. I'm still not going to say their name but would love to know if I'm right. They have/had skills in that regard.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-09, 10:46

I gotta go "P"!

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-09-09, 11:12

Quote:
I gotta go "P"!

That's what I was going to say as well.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-09, 12:09

And the rumor bombs continue to drop.

From the article:

Quote:
The internal GPU in the unit are [sic] said to be comparable to the Radeon Pro 5500M. Overall performance metrics in the upcoming 14-inch will be in line with the current 16-inch MacBook Pro. It is expected that the gaming experience will be exceptional, but only for games optimized for Apple Silicon.
I put very little faith into these "leaks" and consider this one to be suspect. Still, if that bit is true, then

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-09, 14:00

Yeah, I saw that. But I would expect Apple to announce shipping for the OS that's going to power the ASi Macs first.

I'm sure the 24" iMac and the 14" MBP are close to ready. But without the OS being certified Golden, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-09, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.
Nah. Announcing the systems and shipping them are not the same thing. The OS does not need to be ready until just before the computers are.

If (and it's a big "if") ARM Macs are being announced next week, it will be at least a month before they ship, and that will provide plenty of time to finish the OS.

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-09-09 at 16:26.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-09-09, 14:43

I suspect Apple will want to focus on getting supplies of chips for the iPhone 12 through most of the fall, we might see a ASM in December, unless there is low iPhone demand.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-09-09, 14:49

Quote:
I gotta go "P"!

Sure, sure, just skate on by that one.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-09, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I suspect Apple will want to focus on getting supplies of chips for the iPhone 12 through most of the fall, we might see a ASM in December, unless there is low iPhone demand.
They're not going to use the same chips as the iPhone. That will be A14. iPad Pro will be A14x. Macs will either be A14x or some variation of A14xx. Apple has likely contracted with TSMC to push Mac chips down a different line. If the numbers are correct (and boy I sure hope they are) then I seriously doubt if that is the A14x. To get 16" Pro-level power they likely have an A14xx with more cores for both CPU and GPU. Either that, or the A14x architecture has come light years since A12x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Sure, sure, just skate on by that one.
I sharpened my "skates".

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-09-09, 20:06

Quote:
They're not going to use the same chips as the iPhone.
Fully aware of that, but TSMC doesn't have unlimited production capacity. Apple sells way more iPhones than Macs (like 20-1 most likely), so it would make sense that they would prioritize iPhone chip production.