Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-09-15, 12:27

Series 6
  • Blue (aluminium)
  • Graphite black-grey (stainless)
  • Product RED (stainless???)
  • Blood Oxygen Sat app
  • Family Setup: letting you setting up modes for kids to specify who they can message, track where they are, have it set up by parents' iPhone
  • S6 system with dual-core processor based on A13 Bionic
  • $399

Apple Watch SE
  • uses S5 chip
  • accelerometer, gyroscope, motion sensors, etc of the series 6
  • bigger display and watchOS7
  • starts at $279

They're hyping the recyclability with 100% recycled rare earth elements and tungsten in taptic engine. They're dropping USB power adapter (wall wart).

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
starts at $279
Not cheap enough. The entry $199 thing is gone and the new $279 replaces it?

Why bother. With the Watch, $100 has never been a big enough separator. And maybe that's the point?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2020-09-15, 12:40

I think the Series 3 is still available at $199.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-15, 12:40

Does the SE have the always-on display?

(edit) no. https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/ Makes sense to me.

Last edited by chucker : 2020-09-15 at 14:39.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-09-15, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Not cheap enough. The entry $199 thing is gone and the new $279 replaces it?

Why bother. With the Watch, $100 has never been a big enough separator. And maybe that's the point?
Until we get the detailed reviews and teardowns, I'm curious what the series 6 has the SE doesn't. The 6 has the blood ox sensor, but the SE has most of the other hardware that tracks motion and fitness uses... it seems like the $279 SE is the no-brainer choice, more features than the $199 series 3 (the model I currently have), and only 1 fewer than the $399 series 6.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 13:04

I thought I saw the screen is the same from the S6 and SE, don't hold me to it though.

I actually like that there is a Family Setup option now. I mean, I don't want to give my kids a phone but they can have my old Watches. Sure the time will come when they get a phone, but if I have an old Watch to pass down, why would I want to give them a phone too?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 13:24

So S6 isn't going to get to me (via shipping) until the 25th - 29th.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 14:07

It seems that the SE is a rebranded Series 5.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I think the Series 3 is still available at $199.
Yep. Just checked and it is.

So, really, the lineup looks like this:

Series 3: $199
Series 5(SE): $279
Series 6: $399

Yet another in-between (or tail-end) product placement that makes almost no sense. Apple used to be very focused at "This or That", and now they are focused on "This, That, and The Other Thing".

Are the few extra features of the Series 6 worth $120? Are the many extra features of the SE worth $79? Is the Series 3 good enough? Both my wife and daughter have Series 3 models and use them all the time, and both have been very satisfied. In my experience, the cheapest model is the best value, so I have to stick with that. But! $79 for the feature-set of the Series 5 is a very good value. Another $120 for the Series 6 does not seem like it's worth it … unless you're old or have some other ailment where realtime blood oxygen monitoring is actually, you know, necessary? But that also encompasses most of the features of the SE, except for the screen, which may very well be worth $79.

Also, it seems that the sleep thing is a bit too much of a novelty, as the Watch's battery life isn't long enough. It seems you can either wear it during the day and get that info, or during the night and get that. But if you drag it through day and night, you will be out of juice before the next cycle can be run. This makes sense on low-power Fitbit things, but high power devices like Apple Watch? That's just reaching, methinks.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-15, 14:44

$80 for:

Larger display
Fall detection
Compass
Better altimeter
Noise monitoring
Haptic feedback on Digital Crown
Better speaker and mic

Another $120 for:

Always-On Display
Blood Oxygen
ECG

Seems fine to me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 14:45

I went with the S6 because I don't like the Sport Watch. It is too fragile. I'm not seeing SE in Stainless and I can't find my OG Watch in SS. I was going to get the S5 in Titanium but it just doesn't look right to me. I like the SS option that much better.

I actually really want to O2 sensor for when I'm sleeping. I don't know that I would call it necessary, but there seems to be some relevance to me.

Also for sleeping with it, you can easily track your stats and charge the Watch along the way. I am only wearing my S3 right now and basically charge it while I'm at my desk. I get my standing credit right after the top of the hour and then it is charge before the end of the next hour. It easily lasts two days and that is with at least a 30 minute workout both days. I OG Watch never had that battery life.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-09-15, 14:54

I might finally take the Apple Watch plunge. Probably just go all the way for the S6.

Plus I lost my Fitbit so I'm in the market for a new wearable.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-09-15, 17:57

I absolutely love my Apple Watch. I have the S4 but last year I didn’t see any real reason to upgrade. Kinda feeling that way again this year. Nothing earth shattering. VO2Max would be nice for working out but is it worth the upgrade?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 17:58

That is entirely up to your training. My guess is if you are asking then the answer is no.

My wife still has an S4 and won't be upgrading this cycle. Maybe she gets on next year instead.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 17:59

Still don't own one. Still have no compelling reason to. Still manage my workouts the good old fashioned way: By working out until my arms and legs fall off and the only thing I can think about is greasy cheeseburgers!

chucker

2020-09-15, 18:04

Would’ve ordered an SE but first need to get a new credit card because apparently the Apple Store still has weirdly limited payment options.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 18:45

Sounds like you should grab an Apple Card?
chucker

2020-09-15, 19:10

Isn’t that US-only? But also… still kinda gross.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 23:12

Hell if I know, but it's the best card I've ever had.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-09-16, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Isn’t that US-only? But also… still kinda gross.
Yes it is US only. Cannot think of why I would want one anyway, it’s coming from the same people that make the other credit cards, they just slapped an Apple logo on it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-16, 14:59

But... it is made out of metal. Custom special metal at that! So nice you can even make a knife out of it!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-16, 16:13

At first I thought the best next step for the Apple Watch was to move to a round face. I now believe the next best step is a slightly larger wearable wrist computer. I mean, at this point why not?

chucker

2020-09-17, 05:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yes it is US only. Cannot think of why I would want one anyway, it’s coming from the same people that make the other credit cards, they just slapped an Apple logo on it.
Well, it does have some nice UI/integration on top of it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-21, 14:01

My Watch came in today. Faster than originally stated so that's good. I'm glad I got the upgrade. Snappier than the S3 I'm using as a backup now. I actually like the slightly larger display too. Not massive, but noticeable after wearing the 42mm for years now.

Aways-on display is really nice too. I would have loved it while I worked out this morning, but it was delivered until much later so I'll get to enjoy it Wednesday.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-21, 16:11

The improvements from Series 4 to 6 are not significant enough for most people.

And the two health sensors, EKG and Blood Oxygen, while cool, and very helpful to some, are also very useless to most. EKG in particular.

It will be interesting to see what the next big redesign of the Apple Watch is. At this point, my biggest frustration with the Apple Watch is battery life, and that has not changed in 6 years.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-09-21, 19:16

Battery life, and size are the big turn offs of the A watch. Apple is in a conundrum with the battery, to make it last longer they’d have to either make the watch thicker (uhhh NO), or use weaker, lower powered chips, lower resolution or monochrome screens. None of those is a good option at this point, at least from what I can see.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-09-21, 23:58

I’m not after the watch, but I am hoping for an Apple fitness band.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-22, 00:50

Bingo!!!! This is exactly what I was thinking, but better. Much better.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-09-22, 00:55

In a fit of nerdom, I actually wrote to Tim Cook about it.
chucker

2020-09-22, 02:26

I’m still waffling a little on whether I want the Series 6 because of the AOD (and just for the novelty of trying EKG and blood oxygen a few times; I probably don’t need those).

Anecdotally, my dad, who has no Watch but has been asking me for years if he should get one (and might have gone for the Series 4 if EKG had been available in Germany on day one), seemed quite sure the other day that he wants a Series 6. I reminded him that there’s cheaper options, but he immediately responded, “yup, but this has EKG and blood oxygen”. In his age group, those are great features to have.