User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 130 of 221 First Previous 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-30, 14:25

They gave the girlfriend a psych eval for reporting this guy?

Way to go, Nashville PD. Golf claps all around.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-30, 14:50

That’s what I’m talking about. There’s just something weird about all this.

I thought talk of bombs/explosives were automatically taken seriously by law enforcement? These days more than ever?

Even if she was/is a complete whackjob, you still have to properly check things out just to be sure.

They didn’t and we saw what happened.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-30, 16:55

Is this just laziness and/or stupidity on the part of the cops, or did they just decide a white guy isn't worth worrying about?

It's not like lonely white dudes have a history of blowing shit up in this country or anything.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-30, 17:00

That's why I said what I said earlier (re: the name involved, assumptions possibly made, etc.). I usually don't go down that road, but I just find it weird that nobody seemed all concerned about a bomb-making/explosive warning, when I thought that was the very sort of thing we were supposed to notify law enforcement about.

Again, I don't give a shit about the guy's race - or the state in which it happened, like some seem to - but it sure it weird that a possible bomb-making nutball being up to no good was ignored. How hard did anyone really try?

So, yeah...you have to consider all the things it could be: stupidity, laziness, racial/cultural angles, he was tight with someone in local law enforcement who ran interference for him, etc. I've read in several articles that he was a known hater of cops, so it's tough to imagine him having friends on the force. But, with the kind of work he did (IT, alarms/security, etc.), I'm sure he met some people over the years who worked in law enforcement? Maybe he became buddies with some? I don't know.

The fact they gave his girlfriend the business makes you wonder about a few things, for sure. Can you imagine going in to do what you think is your civic duty, in an effort to maybe prevent a horrible event/save lives...and the focus/investigation turns to you? Yikes...

She'll never assist, or cooperate with, law enforcement again, for the rest of her life. I almost couldn't blame her. No good dead goes unpunished.

All I do know is that if someone dropped a dime on me because I was engaging in such actions/pursuits, I'd expect some persistent knocks at my door and to be in a good bit of trouble. At the very least, to be hauled in and questioned for a pretty good while and have the cops and Feds crawling up my butt until they were satisfied I posed no danger. But I don't think any of that really ever happened here, and I just find that...weird.

So, yes...there has to be a reason for it. And it can't possibly be anything positive or above-board either. It just can't.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bit if some sort of secondary scandal (corruption, obstruction, shady connections, etc. within the Nashville PD) emerges from this at some point. And it'll be ugly when it does.

This fool should've been questioned/thwarted a year ago, and never allowed to do what he did Friday.

Once I learned the girlfriend/cops knew angle, my thoughts on all this changed quite a bit. I smell a huge rat somewhere.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-30 at 17:25.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-30, 18:16

I think it would have been pretty easy for them to call in for a search warrant—had they cared enough to do so. That they didn't means they either didn't take her seriously, they didn't think they could make a case for a warrant, they didn't care, or they were complicit.

I don't even like to think the last two are options.

Believe me, those cops are beating their heads against the wall right now, and I can pretty much guarantee they're grateful no one died.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-30, 18:24

Crazy story all around. Gets a little more so each day, as some new element unfolds. Who knows what we'll hear tomorrow.

I can't believe that idiot was the only fatality. That's the "Christmas miracle" here. Three hours later, on any other day, and there would be dozens of funerals taking place in metro Nashville throughout this entire week. It would be a completely different story, far more tragic/heartbreaking.

PS - My AT&T cellular/LTE service finally kicked back in fully yesterday morning. I was doing fine without it (holiday period, I'm not much of a phone talker, etc.), but I know others are happy to have it all back up and working. It had been down since Friday morning, through all of Monday. It started momentarily coming on Monday night, 3-4 times, and then would go back to "no service". When I woke up yesterday, around 6:15, the top of my phone showed the reception bars and "AT&T", and when I left the house, the wifi symbol switched over to "LTE" again. Been working ever since.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-30, 21:59

You know, I'm not happy that some idiot did so much damage, but at least they had the decency to do it when the likelihood of collateral human casualties was small. I mean, I'm sure there was someone who needed an ambulance but couldn't reach one because the phones were down happened and that patient died, but at least it wasn't during the prime work day or such.

I'm on vacation (stay-cation) so I've been missing the news. Just now even catching up on AN for that matter.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
Not gonna miss that name that's in red either. Funny given how much they hate red.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-30, 22:03

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-31, 12:08

And here we go...

What was I saying, just yesterday?

- There could be a troublesome, unsavory reason why the bomber wasn't looked into fully

and, as a result

- Nashville PD might have some things to explain/answer for

Seems they're both hitting now. I would not want to be one of the higher-ranking/leadership members of that police department right now...the coming days/weeks are probably going to be a bit rough and uncomfortable.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-31, 12:32

Hindsight is always 20/20 but some things likely should have been looked into with a bit more gusto. Given the day and age we are in, anytime someone reports a bomb making process in action you would think SWAT teams would have been deployed at the word "bomb".

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-31, 12:43

Exactly. You gotta take this seriously, especially when all we've been told for nearly 20(!) years is "if you see/hear anything like this, report it immediately!"

Oh, and the latest update...

Holy. Crap.

Quote:
NBC News reported Wednesday that investigators have obtained evidence that Anthony Quinn Warner, who died in the explosion, may have subscribed to a conspiracy theory that many of the world’s most powerful figures, from Barack Obama to the late Bob Hope, are actually evil, lizard-like extraterrestrials in disguise.
Not sure whether to laugh or run crying at this one.

I truly had no idea this was a thing.

And while it would go a long way toward explaining James Carville, personally I don't think it's as widespread/common an issue as Warner seemed to believe.

But seriously...it just all gets a little weirder each day with this story, huh?

This guy was definitely 4-5 sandwiches short of a picnic.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-31, 15:34

What you aren't one of us lizard people? Quickly remove this person from the forum!

I almost forgot about the lizard people thing, I think I saw something about that on one of those Saturday night TV shows years ago. The more you read about this event the crazier it gets.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-31, 15:48

I knew some girls who pushed that idea years ago. I haven't heard it since.

And I have no idea on this planet where that line of thinking comes from.

No idea at all!

I'm not aware of any teaching within the halls of evolution/atheism, nor am I aware of any teaching within the halls of creationism/Christianity. Such ideas are straight out of the realm of sci-fi, so I'm blaming them!

Weirdos.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-31, 16:07

I believe it comes from the halls of Batshit University.

EDIT (two-plus hours later): I'm still wrapping my head around the whole "lizard people" thing. I remember seeing a movie ages ago with Rowdy Roddy Piper where aliens were living among us and if you wore special glasses you could see their true form (scary skulls).

Is it like that?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-31 at 18:26.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-12-31, 20:09

Not technically news but happy 2021!
tomoe
Veteran Member

2020-12-31, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I remember seeing a movie ages ago with Rowdy Roddy Piper where aliens were living among us and if you wore special glasses you could see their true form (scary skulls).

Is it like that?
I think you're referring to the movie They Live by John Carpenter. It's sort of funny how that movie was a small, low budget film, yet it's had some oddball cultural impacts. For example, the cliche about "chewing bubblegum, kicking some ass, and being all out of bubblegum" came from They Live (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du5YK5FnyF4). Also, if you've ever seen the OBEY stickers or clothing brand , those to are also an homage to They Live. That started out in the late 1990s with the Andre Has a Posse) stickers that could be found in cities throughout the US.

John Carpenter used to do a lot of collaboration with Kurt Russell, who, I have to say, looks similar to Roddy Piper. Part of me wonders if John Carpenter ended up using Roddy Piper because Kurt Russell was unavailable at the time...

Anyway, Happy New Year, and here's to leaving 2020 behind and seeing what lies ahead.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-31, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Not technically news but happy 2021!
I hope all is well with you in Deutschland, and Ich wünsche dir ein schönes Jahr, mein Freund!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-31, 23:09

Yep, that was the movie! Keith David was in it as well. And an actress with the lightest blue eyes I’ve ever seen. I remember how she almost freaked me out.

EDIT: Meg Foster is her name. Google her. They’re beautiful but also a bit unsettling/freaky.

Yeah, I could easily imagine Kurt Russell in that role, now that you mention it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-05, 10:15

Have you guys seen this weird story?

Tanya Roberts - the prettiest/sexiest of Charlie's Angels IMO, A View to a Kill Bond girl, cast member of That 70's Show and queen of 80's/90's B-grade erotic thrillers (titties + murder) - supposedly "died" the other day after collapsing at home after walking her dogs on Christmas Eve.

For 1-2 days, both her partner and her agent told the world she'd died.

The story I saw a couple of days ago was that her her partner, Lance O'Brien, said he was "allowed in", again COVID protocols, to see Tanya in the hospital (where she'd been since Thursday night) because he was told "she was on the way out". He said he held her hand, she opened her eyes and then closed them. At which point, allegedly, he believed she died...and he left. And promptly notified Roberts' agent/publicist of the news, who then put it out to the world, based solely on the word of Roberts' partner who seemed to assume a lot of things.

So he did all that.

What he didn't do, strangely enough, was stick around to get any confirmation about ANYTHING. He just saw someone close their eyes and thought "well, I guess she's dead...I'm outta here."

Who in the hell does that?

You don't check for a pulse or breathing, something that takes a whole 30 seconds and requires zero medical background/training? You don't notify a nurse or anyone passing by in the hallway? You don't push the alert/call button and summon help (or stick your head out of the doorway and scream for it) to see if there is a chance to revive her?

A normal person would do some, or all, of the above in that scenario.

A day or so later he's, of course, doing an interview for Inside Edition when his cell rings during the interview and it's the hospital notifying him that Roberts wasn't dead/never died...apparently she just closed her eyes to go back to sleep, and this Lance goof just assumed she passed, left the hospital without any real confirmation and started putting the word out to the world (he's giving an interview to Inside Edition, ffs...that might tell you a little something about where his head is, and his priorities).

Here's the video of the interview he was giving Inside Edition when he received the call that she wasn't dead.

I've not seen acting of this caliber since O.J. struggled to put on that glove.

There's just something...weird. If I'm at a hospital to see a sick loved one and they close their eyes, I'm gonna assume they're sleeping unless/until the machines they're attached to start making beeps/alert noises and medical personnel frantically rush in to administer CPR, the paddles, etc. And, call me crazy, but then I'm gonna stick around and get some sort of confirmation ("we were able to stabilize her and she's currently resting", "I'm sorry, but there was nothing we could do...we lost her", etc.). This dope assumed the worst, just left, announced it to the world, and spent an entire 1-2 days thinking (hoping?) she was dead (never wanted to see the body or started any arrangements?). Was he just sitting at the house, watching TV and eating In-N-Out from the drive-thru, thinking the hospital and the SAG would see to all the arrangements?

Come on.

Something is off here, I'm telling you. His Oscar-level "relief" in the above video comes across more as "oh shit, she's alive...I'm screwed" to me. There's just something shady here.

I've watched enough NYPD Blue and Sipowicz interviewing perps to know a sleazy, up-to-no-good boyfriend/husband when I see one.

Or this guy is just a big idiot. I suppose that's always an option. It isn't like the world has a shortage of them.

UPDATE: TMZ says she has died, for real this time, last night at Cedars Sinai in L.A.

What a weird last 1-2 days of her life. Poor girl.

I hope L.A.P.D. is planning a nice, long sit-down with that Lance guy. They better do some digging...life insurance, finances, recent will amendments, etc. I'm smelling a rat. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to cop to it if so. But my Something Isn't Right meters are pegging the red. I'd find out where this greasy goof was last night, for sure. Stalking the halls of Cedars Sinai would be my guess. And if not that, they need to make damn sure he wasn't the reason she wound up there Christmas Eve to start with.

And, yes...I know all about "shock" and how people respond to/process grief in different ways. But damn...really?

Would any of you, at your worst, do any of the above things he did? No, you wouldn't. At the very least, you'd stick around for confirmation/info/reassurance. Which brings up...she closed her eyes, he assumed she was dead. He just left, walked down the hallways and just never said anything to anyone (nurses, etc.)?

"Eh, they'll find her soon enough; it's almost lunch time...".

Seriously? Would anyone here do that to their mother, a sibling or grandparent, etc.? "They'll find her...it isn't like she's going anywhere...". I just can't imagine that. Shock doesn't make you a heartless asshole, last I checked.

Maybe he had nothing whatsoever to do with any of it. But he could certainly write the definitive book on how to behave otherwise. Yikes, guy...at least try to act the part a little. Could you wave those red flags a little higher maybe? I don't think Canada can see them yet.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-05 at 11:35.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-05, 11:46

Umm …

I don't really care about celebrity stuff. So, whatever.

But!

What in the hell is she doing with him?

I mean, what in the serious hell?

P.S. Any blind man could now see this is a setup of the weirdest kind. Clearly, he is seeking attention.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-05, 13:08

I was gonna bring that up, but decided not to...I've got no room to talk. I'm no Brad Pitt, but yet, somehow...love is indeed blind, I'll just say that. I've been luckier in that department than a schmo like me ever should've been. And I'm grateful. So all I can say to the guy is "way to go, pal!" He is, however, an idiot on wheels, it seems.

I'm not looking at this as a "celebrity" thing but more of a "could this whole thing be any weirder" angle? Had these been "civilians", with all this weird stuff in play, it still would've caught my eye and I would've typed the same post (minus her filmography and all).

I can't imagine just walking out of a hospital after you think your partner/spouse just died and you never told anyone there (but made it a point to notify her agent/publicist right away).

Just his behavior, overall, and the weird circumstances makes this one of those things you'd see Keith Morrison or John Walsh hosting a show about.

"Beauty found love with the beast...or did she?", etc. [cue ominous music]

I don't think we've heard the last of this situation, or this guy. Let's just say if he winds up in county lockup by the weekend, it won't surprise me one bit.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-05, 16:06

And now, apparently she is dead after all.

Boy, what a zoo of "I don't get paid enough to research the stories I publish."

I don't know who to believe, but her Wikipedia page says she died on January 4.

So, yeah.

I don't want to laugh about it, but … just

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-05, 16:19

That’s the whole point of my original post. She died last night (Monday, January 4) after her guy thought she’d died the day before...because she closed her eyes (a sure sign of death, apparently) and, then he simply saw fit to leave the hospital and not let anyone know.

But then she did indeed pass, a day after he’d prematurely put the word out. And, apparently, he was with her last night when it happened. Maybe he did the right thing this time and called the nurse or sought help.

I read they’ve been together for about 14-15 years. There’s always a chance this is just a misunderstanding and, in his grief/despair, he just made some lousy, questionable choices about how to proceed, making himself look a bit shady in the process. Okay.

But damn...he pretty much did everything wrong and weird, top to bottom, a person could do in such a situation.

If he truly thought she’d died in his presence Sunday, stopping by the nurse’s station on his way out would’ve spared him a lot of turmoil and upheaval, and he would’ve had another full day to spend with her.

“Sir, she still has a heartbeat and she’s breathing. Those are the first things we check for. She hasn’t died.”

“Oh, okay...”.

I just can’t figure out the “I thought she died, but I didn’t really check and I didn’t tell anyone, so I just left” angle. That’s just weird, shock/grief or not. In your shock/grief, you’d want to know, or you’d want the staff to know so they could begin whatever procedures are needed on their end.

He just left, leaving (what he believed to be) her body to be found just...whenever? By whoever happened to walk in the room next.

She - anyone would - deserved a little better. I can only buy the shock/grief so far. At some point stupidity and/or malice enters the picture.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-05, 17:28

Glad I'm not a celebrity. Stupid crap like this hits the news and the world gets bug-eyed.

When I die, ain't nobody gonna care.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-05, 17:42

Well, she wasn't quite an A-lister. And I don't know what the hell is is.

There's no circus here like there would be had it been a super high-profile "mega"-star. And, had she just died peacefully or via illness, without all this weird confusion/back-and-forth involved, most wouldn't even know. I can't remember the last time I saw her in anything, so she might've been semi-retired and out of that limelight.

Heaven help us the day Beyonce or a Kardashian bites it...well, more than they already do.

I'm here all week.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-05, 17:45

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-06, 15:55

I’m not going to get political here, but Washington DC is going nuts. Honestly before the election was even finished down in the US, I figured the election could lead to a second civil war. Is this how it will start? I sure hope not.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-06, 16:16

Wow. I just saw a few posts about it. I'm saddened it is such a mob. That isn't a protest, it is a mob.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-06, 16:20

Yep. Please, let's try to keep the political finger-pointing out of the way.

I'll say this: I'm not happy about it. Too many adults acting like children this year, and on both sides of the aisle. It's insane. This is not the way to handle things, and the instigator-in-chief is not helping.

FYI: Better run to the store and get yourselves a few roles of TP. Could get fugly this week.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-06, 16:21

Funny enough, I have CASES of TP because my wife and I didn't realize how much we were ordering when we did. It isn't a year supply, but lets just say I'm not running out any time soon.