AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Help me find a MBP Thunderbolt dock please

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help me find a MBP Thunderbolt dock please
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-10-14, 00:14

I have one, and it's kernel panic city. No idea why, it can have nothing hooked in but power, and blammo. Like, 4x/day blammo.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 08:29

Wow! I'm do glad I don't have that problem. I don't know if I could handle that. What are you connecting too? Mine is a 15" TouchBar MBP (2016).

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-10-14, 20:13

15" MacBook Pro (2020), just got it, got the CalDigit to go with, and haven't been able to use it all. :P

Did the google, and I'm far from the only one.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 20:17

Wonder if it is a change in the TB port with the 2020 version. I'm VERY grateful I'm not in that mix though. That is just no fun at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-10-14, 23:06

Nope, it's a consistently inconsistent issue with the last few years' models. :/

No one can seem to find a pattern, other than the KPs tend to happen when there's a change to the power subsystem, such as wake/sleep, or, more frustrating, dock/undock because the dock supplies power. :P

If I unplugged it to go sit on the couch, I would usually get a KP before I sat down. Reboot, decide to go back to office, plug in, and a minute later, *blam*.

The punchline? No panic report to send to Apple. Completely blank. Nothing in the logs.

Nada.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 23:29

Ohh.... maybe I don't experience it because I just about never undock it. I pretty much use it like a desktop nowadays.

Is it stable for you when you leave it docked?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-11-14, 16:02

Update:

Firmware on TS-3+ has remained constant at 44.1, macOS now at 10.15.7 (was at 10.15.5 IIRC)

No kernel panics in the past week of use. I've plugged/unplugged, slept/woken, all the things that used to cause it to go haywire, and nothing.

It's working as expected now. I'll let you know if that changes, but so far so good. It's a nice dock, it (or the laptop) was just misbehaving.

UPDATE UPDATE:

*I HAD TO POST IT*...

boom. Kernel panic. No log. Back to wanting to toss it through the window.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2020-11-14 at 19:00.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-15, 10:31

Well that just sucks. Wonder how v11 works with it. I'm not ready to use mine mobile yet...

Does it matter what is plugged into the dock? Drives, monitors, etc.. Does changing those change the result?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-11-15, 23:17

Well, it didn't used to, but it was stable for a few days as just a charger.

I plugged in a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter to finally use one of the two monitors on my desk (that haven't been used in MONTHS), and it worked well for quite some time.

And then I unplugged, went to the couch (without closing it), and by the time I sat down, it was KP'd out to pasture.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-17, 11:00

You know, you're making me really never want to undock my MBP now.

Maybe after I finally upgrade to macOS 11 I'll try it. Actually, I'm going to be more mobile soon when I start actually building my floor in my office.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-19, 16:35

This thing was just announced by OWC.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-20, 11:51

You made me worry as I have a CalDigit dock for my newish 2019 13" MBP. (I need to run Windows, so it's ok!)

But it's this one: https://www.caldigit.com/mini-dock/

No KP issues for me.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-12-21, 16:29

Update: Big Sur 11.1 has not experienced a CalDigit TS3+ kernel panic in three days of regular use, including using two monitors (one DisplayPort -> HDMI, one USB-C -> HDMI), using it exclusively for charging, and repeated plug/unplug/PowerNap/sleep combinations.

Fingers crossed.

BTW, I *also* went back and cleared out the *ahem* copious legacy kernel extensions that came along for the ride from my prior MacBook Pro. Which came from the MacBook Pro before that. Aaaaaaaand the B/W G3 Tower before that. *cough*

There was some truly historical crap in there. Unknown if any of them conflicted / were loaded for god knows what reason, but it's a data point.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-21, 16:44

I'm glad to hear this. I will likely update from 10.15.7 to 11.1 over my Christmas vacation that starts Wednesday night! Any time I get a new machine I start as a clean install. I manually install and copy over anything I need. Maybe that is one of the reasons I've not had the KPs either? I mean, mine does stay docked most of the time, but the lottery has been on my side so far.

I was reading about VMware and M1 and it looks promising there too. Not sure I'll be able to run x86 based VMs on an M1 chip, but at least it is feasible.
Quote:
“While we’re not quite ready to announce our timeline, we’re happy to say that we are committed to delivering VMware virtual machines on Apple Silicon!”

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-12-21, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I was reading about VMware and M1 and it looks promising there too. Not sure I'll be able to run x86 based VMs on an M1 chip, but at least it is feasible.
Well… VMware isn't an emulator.

Parallels now has a public beta of running ARM VMs. And you can run Windows on ARM in there, which in turn contains an emulator to run x86 apps. So once VMware ships, the same will apply there. But it won't quite be the same as emulating the entire OS — on the plus side, it should come with far less overhead; at the same time, there are limitations (like, say, if you need to use hardware that requires installing a driver, odds are that driver just plain doesn't exist for ARM).

Very curious to see someone try VS.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-06, 17:53

Update update: three weeks of daily CalDigit dock use (plug, unplug, plug, repeat; two displays; use of SD slot; use of Enet port; use of USB-A and USB-C ports)

No problems. I think 11.1 + the cleanout I did of all legacy kernel extensions did the trick.

Probably the latter. Advice: do that.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-01-08, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
709, does that OWC one pass 85W? I had it preordered when they first announced it but cancelled when I saw it was only 60W.
Out of curiosity, is that actually a problem? Most computers aren't running flat-out all the time, and, at least in my experience, laptops less frequently than desktops. Does it hurt anything to use an under-spec'd PS to keep a laptop charged up while it's mostly idle and then let it pull from its battery and the PS while under heavy load? I've always assumed it'd be fine, but I don't think I've ever tried it. I mean, I suppose it'll depend on how sophisticated the charging and power delivery circuits are, but with USB-C and TB 3 both being able shove so much power through all those ports, maybe that level of sophistication is inherently necessary these days.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-01-08, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Update update: three weeks of daily CalDigit dock use (plug, unplug, plug, repeat; two displays; use of SD slot; use of Enet port; use of USB-A and USB-C ports)

No problems. I think 11.1 + the cleanout I did of all legacy kernel extensions did the trick.

Probably the latter. Advice: do that.
Why do you suspect the legacy kernel extensions? Did they have something to do with power management?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-08, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Out of curiosity, is that actually a problem? Most computers aren't running flat-out all the time, and, at least in my experience, laptops less frequently than desktops. Does it hurt anything to use an under-spec'd PS to keep a laptop charged up while it's mostly idle and then let it pull from its battery and the PS while under heavy load? I've always assumed it'd be fine, but I don't think I've ever tried it. I mean, I suppose it'll depend on how sophisticated the charging and power delivery circuits are, but with USB-C and TB 3 both being able shove so much power through all those ports, maybe that level of sophistication is inherently necessary these days.
It really matters when running VMs that consume tons of power/CPU. My MBP would slowly deplete over time during my normal usage. I really should be using a desktop, not an MBP for the work I put my machines through. Would it technically function? Sure, but then when I want to go mobile (which is happening more and more) then I don't have a half dead machine. Do you know how much battery Minecraft consumes?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-08, 15:55

It was an assortment going back to a B/W G3 tower, including ATA extensions for an MO 3.5" drive, one that came with a USB joystick (circa 2008), and other items.

11.1 update: reduced crashes
Removed kexts: no crashes yet

Yup, I've just migrated my drives to new machines for 15 years, never a clean start. Maaaaaaaaybe that was a mistake.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-08, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Yup, I've just migrated my drives to new machines for 15 years, never a clean start. Maaaaaaaaybe that was a mistake.
When the new iMacs drop, I'll be starting from scratch because of this. No more migrating until the whole thing is cleaned up with a fresh start.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-22, 11:55

Hey Kick, how's the dock still treating you?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-22, 13:59

Not a single hiccup.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-22, 16:01

Nice
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-22, 19:56

In the past few days I've docked/undocked it multiple times a day, added an external drive, used the SD slot, connected a powered mic, fiddled with the display hookups endlessly (reorg of the desk), etc, etc.

Not a single issue.

I can now recommend this little beauty.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-27, 11:14

Today I discovered there is actual software to go with the dock so you can mass eject drives and such. There are even drivers that make it more stable they say.

I looked into this because I have this odd flickering happening on one of my displays. I thought it was the dock but figured out it is VMware and it not handling the monitor as well as it should. It seems like a physical issue though because I can replicate it by hitting the desk. After moving some things around and relieving some tension on the HDMI cable it seems to have helped too. Now I don't get the flicker when I hit the desk, but it still does it at random.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-28, 00:00

Have you tried blowing out the cable with oxygen? I hear aligning the crystals helps too.

Seriously, sounds like an internally frayed cable.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-28, 08:54

I did have to change while HDMI cable feeds the monitor when I moved the dock because the original one wasn't long enough. I'm going to have to go with that cable is bad. Now I need to get a new one ordered... or try to dig one up around here because I'm sure I have 80 or so in a box somewhere.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-03, 16:23

It looks like it is one of my monitors. I mean, it could theoretically be the dock... but I'm pretty sure I've isolated it.

My left monitor won't actually display anything now. I replaced the cable assuming that was the problem but I can't get anything to show on it now via the dock. The right monitor displays fine.

I swapped the connectors and the left monitor still won't display but the right one will. I also swapped the adapter (HDMI -> USB-C, HDMI -> DP) and still the monitor on the left doesn't display. Occasionally it will flash black and then OSD HDMI1 No input. I moved the cable to HDMI2 but get the same result.

The thing is, I can plug my Xbox into the monitor and it works as expected. I can't verify the settings for the monitor's resolution and refresh rate because macOS thinks the monitor is working and is displaying the settings on the monitor that is black to me.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-02-03, 16:44

Click 'Gather Windows' in the bottom right of the Displays pane in System Prefs. All the individual monitor windows will be brought to that screen.