16 and 14 Inch MacBoob Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
16 and 14 Inch MacBoob Pro
Page 2 of 12 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-16, 14:37

I was thinking in terms of the base models, but sure some higher end options were dropped. The loss of USB-C ports was not good. 10GigE, not a big deal for most people, for people who use a mini as a file server, I agree. I agree, a higher end model with more ports and options would be nice though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-19, 12:38

I kinda think their unhinged quest for Almighty Thinness™ forced Apple to become extremely consumer-oriented in that 2010-2020ish period, because the focus seemed to be on sleek, as-few-ports-as-possible, which isn't a good fit for "pro" machines that should be a little more full-featured. They let that trash can languish for six(!) solid years, doing nothing in that space.

Perhaps with Ives' departure, they'll return to an earlier stance of "we can - and probably should - make different types of machines for different users; not everything we do has to be designed for 17-year-old Instagram influencers".

They seemed to have gone down that particular road a bit harder than I ever would've imagined.

Here's hoping. Because while I'm not in the "pro" camp, I have buddies or casual, friend-of-a-friend acquaintances who are, and most are still on their cheese grater towers. None of them own the trash can (they knew what was up with that the moment it was introduced) and I've yet to know anyone who's forked over for the current tower.

If Apple put out something that was headless, full-featured, somewhat expandable/customizable - and didn't start at $6,000 - they'd probably find a welcoming audience. They sold such a machine for years, in various names/forms, so it isn't like I'm talking crazy here or bringing up unheard-of points.

Maybe that's what the rumored smaller tower is all about? $2,000-3,000 and more in line with what these people own and require (and can afford) for their work?

Because there is such a thing as "too much"/overkill (and ignoring that middle-ground where many - most? - users reside). For whatever reason, Apple saw fit to see everyone's cries of "you have no true pro tower" as a "hold my beer" challenge, and then just went absolutely nuts with this current one, leaving that $2,000-3,500 space that was always served by a G4/G5/Power Mac tower totally abandoned this past year or so. I never saw the introduction of this current pro tower as any great moment. I see a boatload of users still not being serviced or addressed because they went too upmarket/high-end and left that other space open.

They can do both...the crowd who spends $1,000 for a display stand and several hundred for wheels...and those who don’t.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-19 at 21:15.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-19, 19:49

Dunno, every significant advance Apple has made to push the industry forward has been because they 'went too far'. It's how you FORCE innovation, instead of just enabling it. Even missteps and mistakes push the edge further in those cases.

Super-goddamned thin is what really drove thermal profile innovation, instead of "meh, throw a bigger heat sink on it, it'll be fine". That in turn drove energy use, because seriously, who the hell cares how much power their PC is drawing? Meh, you plug it in, it works, right? That in turn drove efficiency concerns, etc, etc, and holy crap suddenly that laptop that seems way too freaking thin has driven the whole industry in a direction that benefits us all in ways that may not be immediately obvious.

Without 'too thin', I don't believe we'd have the M1. Or the iPhone, they wouldn't have had the experience to pull that off. Or, or, or. It's not just a design-of-form issue, it pushes the technology to accommodate, driving the functionality.

Let's face it, they've been focusing 'inwards' for so long, extracting every erg of efficiency out of the designs in a push to deal with Intel's *in*efficiencies, that now that they have a new baseline for computation/W in the M1, the sky is the freaking limit.

What does an M3 in a desktop unit that doesn't care *quite* so much about battery life perform like? I mean, jeez, what we're seeing in the M1 is crazy, and a year-over-year leap like we haven't had since the mid '00s, if not the mid '90s.

Look back at the A* CPU progression of the past decade, extrapolate out, soften the power constraints, and holy *crap*.

All because they went 'too thin'.

I'll take it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-19, 21:26

No, I see the point on that sort of front.

I’m specifically talking about how they took perfectly functional machines and kinda went the other way in chasing minimalism.

A lot of users were left in the cold.

Things look so promising/interesting now. I’m all for the M1 and beyond, what it represents.

They just can’t seem to dial in things on the pro tower front in recent years. The trash can was a dud and went untouched for years, and nobody can afford the current one.

Somewhere in all that is some workable middle ground. That the smaller (and, I assume, cheaper) smaller tower is a rumor is encouraging.

Nobody asked then to completely up and abandon that $1,500-3,500 neighborhood. Still lots of pro users living there.

2021 is going to be a hoot-and-a-half to see what shows up. Come November-December it should be a pretty amazing lineup (I don’t think that transition is going to take two full years; I think they, wisely, gave themselves up to six months of 2022 wiggle room, just in case.

I think the entire lineup is going to be M-whatever come December.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-19, 22:59

Dammit Kick, you lurk like a cougar but when you strike it's good stuff!

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-20, 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Dunno, every significant advance Apple has made to push the industry forward has been because they 'went too far'. It's how you FORCE innovation, instead of just enabling it. Even missteps and mistakes push the edge further in those cases.
Yes, absolutely, but that's also a tricky mindset because sometimes too far really is too far.

See, for example, the butterfly keyboard. I'm not even sure that was a misstep per se: perhaps it was exactly the right keyboard for the 12-inch MacBook. But it certainly, especially in its earlier unreliable incarnations, was the right choice for the entire Apple laptop line-up (keep in mind desktops have been playing a minor role for a decade and a half now). The vast majority of Macs sold between 2016 and 2020 had… a problematic keyboard.

Other than that, yes, I'm inclined to agree. The 2015 MacBook and 2016 MBP did further drive innovation.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-20, 05:56

The keyboard thing is a nice example. The entire notebook line was affected (infected?) by a less-then design. That shouldn’t have happened because it wasn’t a superior take on things. Yet, somehow, everyone was asked/expected to pretend otherwise for quite a while.

That they went back to what was in place before is them saying “yeah, we kinda botched this”. But that, big picture, is a good thing, that they’re not so arrogant and bull-headed that they’re still being used, mucking up an otherwise great product. The notebooks got better when they (finally) realized “maybe what was in place before was a more reliable design”.

Misfires count too. It’s how long they stick around that matters.

If Ive were still around and running things, I honestly don’t know if they would’ve made that change. I have real doubts on that.

Someday we’re going to get the full story on his departure. I guarantee you it wasn’t as amicable and voluntary as has been presented. I think some ultimatums and questioning were involved, and someone got mad, took his ball and went home.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-20, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If Ive were still around and running things, I honestly don’t know if they would’ve made that change. I have real doubts on that.
Yeah, it seems Ive was a bit too dogmatic on this.

It's hard to say, though. Apple has a fairly long hardware pipeline (think about how long it took from the early-2017 "thermal corner" meeting to actually shipping the new December 2019 Mac Pro; if you accounting for internal early design, it probably took about three years!), so I suspect about two thirds of the Magic Keyboard taking so long to ship on the MacBooks (with band aid revisions in between) was "we're right and our customers are wrong" hubris/dogma, and the remaining third was simply the engineering work required to make the design adjustments.

(Not a massive new design like the Mac Pro, but nonetheless an adjustment — you to design that keyboard in the first place, you need more vertical space to account for it, which in turn means your thermals change, so you need to re-test how those behave, etc.)

Quote:
Someday we’re going to get the full story on his departure. I guarantee you it wasn’t as amicable and voluntary as has been presented. I think some ultimatums and questioning were involved, and someone got mad, took his ball and went home.
There seems to be an element of "man, designing Macs and iPhones has gotten boring; I want to do new stuff like $18k gold Apple Watches 'Edition'", too.

I'm guessing Cook was OK with that until he realized "by OK'ing this side project, I didn't mean you could phone our other hardware product designs in".

I agree with Kickaha that Apple should be daring, and oftentimes that means making controversial decisions, but sometimes those decisions are flawed, and meanwhile, tens of millions of people can't get their work done because some British dude in a white room thought he needed to further reduce the Mac to its eSSEnCe.

(How is there no Jony Ive copy generator on the intarwebz yet?)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-20, 08:41

With regard to the MacBoob Pro, I am still using a machine with a plethora of ports which was the raison d'etre of the device - ultimate utility in a small package. The dongle dilemma speaks to a stumble in my mind.

Will the next MBP regain specialty ports?

Time will tell.
Tim will tell, too.

chucker

2021-01-20, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Time will tell.
Tim will tell, too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-20, 10:04

4I consider that a bad decision as well, yanking the ports/utility from a machine with “pro” in its name. Use the Air platform for any streamlining, minimalism fetishes. At $999, those customers aren’t doing heavy-lifting work in fields - video, photography, music, etc. - where the lack of ports/functionality matters on the day-to-day. In theory that's the reason they bought an Air...they knew they didn't need all that power and capability for their basic, modest needs. Give the Air one Thunderbolt port and I'll wager $50 nobody cares or squawks. That's the model you can get away with that stuff on.

The MacBook Pro re-gaining that stuff is, to me, another positive sign that “okay, we might’ve gone too far with the sleek minimalism on a model that really doesn’t benefit from it.” Painting the pro-level Macs, desktop and portable, into corners (thermal, functionality, etc.) via questionable design decisions doesn't help, or impress, anyone in the long run/big picture.

It’s just unfortunate we spend years headed down unasked-for, wrong-headed rabbit holes before things get corrected. I’m hoping to see less of that wasted time in the future. Because a lot of users and journalists/reviewers could've saved Apple some upfront hassle/effort by saying "hey, don't get too cute with the MacBook Pro...it is what it is, try to respect that. Make it look nice, of course, but nobody is expecting, or even asking for, Air-level minimalism or sleekness...certainly not at the expense of power and utility. And not for the $1,799 entry price. So tell that Jony guy to maybe try and get a #%@!& grip...".

There's "daring innovation", and sometimes there's "solutions in search of a problem" (or, worse, creating problems where none existed). Apple seems to blur those lines at times and dabbles in the latter a bit. And, for the reasons chucker cites, it takes years to undo/return from them. That butterfly keyboard was an issue from the get-go, but because such importance was placed on thinness, they weren't going to go back on that anytime soon. I promise you, everyone who was affected by that (repairs, returns, replacements, less-than usability) would've been okay with another few millimeters of thickness if it meant a reliable, solid keyboard as they've known for years. A repair or replacement isn't going to necessarily fix the issue if the overall design itself (almighty thinness over all else) is part of the contributing factor that helped lead to this new, less-reliable keyboard being developed. Or they should've worked a little harder on it. It didn't fail in the labs and testing stages? That's tough to buy.

Having the "Thinnest [fill-in-the-blank] on the Planet." doesn't mean anything if the trade-offs are real-world hassles/aggravation. At that point, you're just doing it for bragging rights and design accolades. Users forking over this kind of money couldn't care less about either of those things. And, to me, you're disrespecting your customers for less-than-noble pursuits. Customers/users want reliability and functionality; none of them are sitting there, daily, with a micrometer and calling their friends about the resulting numbers.

"Hey, my keyboard isn't working worth a shit, but my laptop is .84mm thinner than that lame HP you have! Just wanted to let you know again, okay? Hahahahahaha!"

Nobody does this. The biggest spec-whore mental patient in the world doesn't do this, and, brother...I know a bunch.

All the above is my opinion, yes. But if this rumor is legit and pans out, then it would appear Apple themselves are thinking/realizing the same sort of thing after years of...not. Better late than never.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-20 at 11:28.
chucker

2021-01-20, 12:40

Quote:
4I consider that a bad decision as well, yanking the ports/utility from a machine with “pro” in its name. Use the Air platform for any streamlining, minimalism fetishes. [..] That butterfly keyboard was an issue from the get-go,
To this point, I wonder if it would've been a non-story if they had only ever used that keyboard on the 12-inch MacBook. Make it a very-clearly-niche computer (aside from the misleading name). It's fine to have just one port. It's fine to have a less productive keyboard.

But no, they had to apply that mantra to the Pro.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-20, 12:42

Here's another way to look at it: if Thunderbolt is to be the end-all/be-all (for now, anyway...I'm sure in a few years something else will come into play) of ports/connection, fine. If having 2-4 of those ports on Mac notebooks makes more sense than Ethernet, USB, HDMI, etc., I can buy that. If that simplifies manufacturing and design or presents a truly better, easily-managed peripheral situation, fine. Whatever. I don't think we're there yet, but those are the "going too far" moments Kickaha talks about, where people are dragged forward, sometimes unwillingly, to a brighter, better future.

Okay, that's part of progress.

Where I think Apple might've stumbled, and lost some goodwill, is not bridging that gap as well as they could have.

I recall, back in the day, Apple would include a few basic adapters in their Macs (this or that display connector, etc.). They stopped doing that some time ago and, for certain things, it makes sense.

But if they're going to, overnight, yank such ubiquitous ports as USB and others from their notebooks, why couldn't they have just tossed in a simple USB-C to USB adapter? I think that simple act would've gone a long way because I do think it's bad form to charge $1,799+ for something and then turn around and expect the customer - who may not be aware (although they should; that's on them to make more informed buying decisions, but that's another discussion) - to fork over another chunk, even if it's just $19, simply to connect things they most likely have...digital camera, thumb drive, external hard drive and, yes...an iPhone or iPad.

Mind you, I'm not some hippie constantly dropping the "c"-word and "g"-word and railing against "corporations" and "greed" 24/7, but sometimes even I think "okay, guys...you don't have to be that unhelpful and bare bones in your packaging of $999-$2,499 products...toss in a damn adapter that costs you next-to-nothing, and help people out a little. Because you used to do this."

You can be progressive (lower-case "p") and not be an unhelpful asshole about it.

This sort of thing all really came about, post-Steve. So I figure a lot of that is from Mr. Supply Chain and efficiency himself, Tim. I do know people, just regular users, who've bought a new Air or MacBook Pro in recent years and have called me to ask "where do I plug in my...". And when I tell them what's up, the words they use make me blush.

So I know, in the real world, such a thing would be appreciated and sidestep a lot of "f-you, Apple!" sentiments. Because I've heard 'em, firsthand.

I know I'm going to encounter this when my mom eventually replaces her 2013 MacBook Air (which she does connect her iPhone and a thumb drive to). On that day, I'm just going to go ahead and buy her that $19 adapter and give it to her so she doesn't even have to get surprised/upset. Because she's not going to understand, or care about, the reasons. All she'll see is "I just paid $1,199 and suddenly can't connect any my stuff as I've done for years?"

And I honestly couldn't blame her.

Multiply her times gazillions of others out there.

Not everyone's a spec-aware forum-monkey, so you know good and well normal, regular users out there have hit this wall in recent years (replacing an older Mac that did have USB ports, and now realizing their new one doesn't, and they're looking at getting in the car and schlepping out to the nearest Apple Store, Walmart or Best Buy to drop $20 on something they never had to before.

I don't care how you spin or present it, that's not building any sort of goodwill or warm feelings toward Apple from these folks.

You can have bold, daring progress...and still assist users along that path. Those kinds of products/devices are still in heavy use, and I think a lot of customers got a rude $19 smack upside the head these past few years. Apple could've - and should've - headed that off at the pass. Everyone here knows how it's human nature to remember/hang on to the negative or less-than experiences than otherwise. People typically don't go out of their way to praise a good, positive experience, but they can't wait to notify the planet about their latest screw-job or shitty experience. If you doubt me, just go to Yelp and cruise through the reviews...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-20 at 13:10.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-20, 16:48

"Where I think Apple might've stumbled, and lost some goodwill, is not bridging that gap as well as they could have."

Yup. They used to go out of their way to build incremental almost invisible bridges, to the point that by the time the big daring move was unveiled, it was... easy?

But, that's a lot easier in software than hardware.
zippy
Veteran Member

2021-01-20, 17:35

I think things are falling into place for my long hoped for dream machine:
Take a MacBook Pro and replace the screen with a detachable iPad. Two complete machines in one.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-20, 17:43

They were certainly a bit more generous in the past with their included-in-the-box goodies, that's for sure. A slight return to that, when the notebooks went Thunderbolt/USB-C only, would've been nice. Just to allow folks the ability to plug in/use all their USB stuff, out of the box.

Progress hurts the butt sometimes.

Apple frequently manages to be both a high-end luxury outfit and the chintziest, most nickel-and-diming one I've ever known. About like Audi or Mercedes charging you $4.75 every time you turned the AC on.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-20, 20:35

Just give me the current form factor with the old keyboard and MagSafe—and Apple Silicon guts, of course. For bonus points, an SD card reader but I can live without this.
chucker

2021-01-22, 09:34

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-2021.2281407/

They're really trolling Paul now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 10:17

More power to them. The Air should be as thin and light as possible if that’s what they’re going to call it. It’s already stripped down and barebones (hardly any ports, no fan, etc.).

As I say upthread, this should be their “get cute and daring” platform because it’s not positioned/sold as a pro-level powerhouse to begin with. Going nuts with thinness on this particular model makes sense and wouldn’t represent the sacrificing of performance and features the way it might on a higher-end, pro-oriented model.

If this M1 battery performance and running well without a fan means this model can get even more sleek and light...great! The customers this machine is made for will love it. Hell, I’d love it if/when I ever decided I’m done with the drawing/image/design-based stuff and just wanted a nice, basic Mac for surfing/writing and YouTube-watching.

My only gripe is when they chase that sort of thing - excessive thinness, etc. - on the MacBook Pro at the expense of power, useful ports, headroom, etc.

I’m perfectly fine with them treating the $999 Air and the $1,799+ Pro like the two different machines/user targets they’re supposed to be.
chucker

2021-01-22, 12:29

Quote:
My only gripe is when they chase that sort of thing - excessive thinness, etc. - on the MacBook Pro at the expense of power, useful ports, headroom, etc.

I’m perfectly fine with them treating the $999 Air and the $1,799+ Pro like the two different machines/user targets they’re supposed to be.
Yup.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-22, 12:53

I heard the new MacBook Air will fold up and tuck neatly into the MagSafe Wallet on your iPhone.

I think that's what they meant when they said "MagSafe".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-22, 13:14

I was actually wondering if they wouldn't put a plastic patch on the bottom of the case and make it compatible with the existing line of "MagSafe" branded products.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-22, 15:54

The latest reports say that the new MacBoobs will once more ship with SD card slots.

Please please please...

Last edited by drewprops : 2021-01-22 at 20:04.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 16:25

turtle brings up a good point. Are we all assuming the old-school "MagSafe" in these rumors, that quick-release/anti-klutz thing, or will their be some implementation of this new take on the word introduced with the iPhone 12?

I supposed it could all be called the same thing, just meaning different uses/functions for notebooks vs. iPhones?

They should've come up with a better name for the iPhone 12 thing. Mag-something, or something-Mag. I just don't get the "safe" angle, as with the notebook implementation.

Maglet (Magnet + wallet)?

When I hear "MagSafe" all I think of is that MacBook power cord connector they never should've gotten rid of (but, oddly enough, post-Ive, it seems to be on its way back). Funny how that works, isn't it?

News flash: the only person I love mocking/eye-poking more than J.J. Abrams is Jony Ive...so get used to it because it'll probably be a while before I lay off either of these dorks.
chucker

2021-01-22, 17:06

Quote:
turtle brings up a good point. Are we all assuming the old-school "MagSafe" in these rumors, that quick-release/anti-klutz thing, or will their be some implementation of this new take on the word introduced with the iPhone 12?

I supposed it could all be called the same thing, just meaning different uses/functions for notebooks vs. iPhones?
Yeah, Apple is definitely not shy to reuse a brand in a different way. Cocoa, iSight, SuperDrive, …

I suspect, if the rumor is to be believed, that these will be a lot more like the old MacBook MagSafe.

For one, there wasn't that much wrong with it. I wish there had been third-party chargers, and that the plug had been less prone to fraying, but the technique per se worked just fine. Maaaaaaybe one problem with MagSafe in recent years was weight; MacBook have become lighter, throwing the magnet mechanism out of wack.

And two, unlike on the iPhone, I can't see it being anything like Qi charging. Qi only goes up to 30W (and I'm not even sure there's even an implementation that goes above 15?). You want something like 90-150W (accounting for ~33% overhead due to wireless charging) for Mac laptops, and aside from being non-standard (does Apple care?) that would presumably run way too hot.

(I am not an electrical engineer, though.)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-22, 17:08

Yep, that's right. Keep pushing the "envelope" with the Air.

That's what it was created for, and it needs to be substantially different from the Pro line.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-22, 17:39

I would suggest that it also needs to do away with the Air name. Just call the darned thing a MacBook and be done with all the fluffy stu..

MacBook
MacBook Pro

See how easy that is?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 17:42

The MacBook Pro, IMO, should never come with apologies or caveats. For the $1,799+ involved, and the a name written on the box and below the display, it should be about nothing but performance. That doesn't mean it has to be a bulky, ugly chunk of 1996-era laptop design...we know Apple is well beyond that.

But those truly making a living with their Mac in fields that demand that sort of horsepower, they're not looking for fashion statements or Thinnest Notebook on the Planet™ bragging rights. They're just not. Apple has spent years believing otherwise, IMO.

Over these past 7-9 years, Apple has been so squarely focused on the dancing, social media-using and selfie artisans.

And that's fine...those people buy phones and computers too.

But they should never forget, or abandon, the crowd that brought them to the dance. The users and industries that stuck with them and championed the platform through the lean, uncertain years. And sometimes, sadly, they do. We've all seen it, on the hardware and software front over the years.

I know that market isn't as glamorous and fun as the dancing, social media-using and selfie artisan crowd, but is Apple not big enough to serve/accommodate both? Their new round digs would seem to suggest "yes".

Maybe with their own in-house stuff, we're about to see a return to form in a way they just couldn't get from Intel for whatever reason? That would be nice.

Apple can do trendy youth and seasoned, serious professionals. And all points in between.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-22 at 17:53.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I would suggest that it also needs to do away with the Air name. Just call the darned thing a MacBook and be done with all the fluffy stu..

MacBook
MacBook Pro

See how easy that is?
Yeah, but where does that leave the $1,299-1,499 13" Pros which are always slightly less-than the full-blown $1,799+ models, but a good bit more than the Air? I think there's that third middle-ground market that they're already selling to (and shouldn't be abandoned/neglected), it's just named/marketed weird.

You're on the right track (by removing part of a product's name)...

- Keep the Air, and its $999. That's your "small and light" platform and their "let's see how far we can push design" test-bed...students, writers, travelers, mommy bloggers, grandpa, etc. Those who don't really need to do much heavy lifting on a demanding, consistent basis.

- Keep the $1,299-1,499 models but simply re-name those MacBook...the "default", standard line for many (most?) users who need a bit more than the Air can do (slightly better graphics, a fan for a bit more demanding work, etc.) but don't require full-out, expensive ($1,800+) muscle.

- The "Pro" is reserved for the $1,799+ (14" and 16") models, with no-apologies, balls-out performance, for those who truly need it, and are happy to pay for it (and will get it).

"Pro" shouldn't be used by anything that truly isn't. It cheapens the word and confuses customers. Those two $1,299 and $1,499 models are fine machines, but should just be sold as MacBook, IMO. They're more than Air, but not quite Pro. Customers would have three obvious, truly distinct lines to look at, vs. the weird-ass mess it is now (and has been for years, with the all-Intel lineup). And it's extra confusing/weird right now because it's half M1, half Intel (Apple should've just held off on the MacBook Pro transition, IMO, and did it all at once...renaming, or removing, models as needed, once everything was on equal M1 footing). They kinda created a weird situation for the moment with those $1,299-1,499 M1 models being "better" than the $500 more expensive Intel-based ones. That's a bitch-and-a-half to try and explain to people.

"You're not gonna believe this, but you're actually better off getting the $1,299 model...".

"You're on drugs, and I feel like I'm being trolled. Knock it off."

"No, really...here's what happened." (out come the charts, timeline, etc.).

They can go about all this in a couple of ways, I suppose. We probably won't know until the day they announce those redesigned 14" and 16" models what the rest of the lineup will look like...what stays, what goes away, what might get renamed, etc.

Just imagine how nice everything is going to be, 12-13 months from now. That's the thing you gotta keep telling yourself. This transition will all shake out and be over and then it's all M-whatever (all the notebooks, the iMac, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-22 at 18:36.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-22, 20:04

The latest reports say that the new MacBoobs will once more ship with SD card slots.

Please please please...