User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 135 of 221 First Previous 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-13, 12:26

It’s funny to see them all follow each other around, throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Is anyone asking for a Facebook watch? Would anyone trust one?

Yeah, the car thing is just noise to me. Maybe I’ll come around if/when something concrete - no pun - ever starts to rev up on that front, but I don’t think it’s anything that will materialize, from Apple, before I turn 60 (I just turned 52 last month). I just don’t. But we’ll see.

Hell, they may still be trying to design/sell a successful, affordable tower in all that time as well. Guys just put some stuff into a box and sell it for less than $6,000. How hard can it be? You did so for years.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-13, 21:02

The horror.

“Demanding an apology” has apparently become the national past time.

Lady, worry about bigger stuff. I can provide you with a list if needed.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-14, 12:30

Oh, please.

Back in April 2020, after the big shutdown and all the 1st-world folk were raiding the TP aisles, I remember walking through Costco on our normal monthly foray and there were people rushing about buying all of life's essentials. We turned a corner and there were two pallets of artichoke hearts sitting there unmolested. Yeah, when the artichoke hearts are gone that lady will be shutting her mouth because she'll have much bigger fish to fry.

The moral of this story: The 1st world—and especially America—is spoiled as a rotten egg, and haven't got anything better to do with their lives than worm into other people's business to draw attention to themselves and their ridiculous virtue signaling BS.

Find something better to do, lady!

And I would have celebrated if that trophy fell into the water. That would have been awesome!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-14, 13:00

TIL in 2020:

Using the phrase "virtue signaling" is just another kind of signaling.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-14, 14:13

Horseshit. No it isn’t. It’s an apt description of what so many kill themselves to engage i at every opportunity. I’m around someone four times a week who should write a book about it. It’s all she does.

Name it something else if needed, but it’s a thing.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-14 at 14:24.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-14, 16:18

You miss my point.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-14, 16:27

Make it better then. But if it's anything like ones from the past year or so, it's probably got a chiding, finger-wagging "shame on you" angle to it.

I'm sorry I didn't like The Rise of Skywalker*...but you're really going to have to get past that at some point. It's been over a year now, FFS. Feel free to let me up any time.

I wasn't even talking about it. My post was about some dingbat whining about a trophy, demanding an apology over a celebration that has nothing to do with her. Ken ran with it and brought up other things.

But your "point" seemed to be that "virtue-signaling" is a term used by some to describe a particular practice, but because those who typically use it (decidedly non-Woke™ right-of-center types), it's no doubt viewed as a triggering dog whistle (or however the fuck people talk ) to many, and, therefore, doesn't count. Or is outmoded, or seen as a bad thing. Hell, it's probably been linked to the January 6 dipshits by now, I suppose. I wouldn't doubt it.

That's my point.

I don't care. I really don't. Somewhere between you and me probably lies the perfect citizen of the world (and they're probably closer to you than me...fair enough?). God bless 'em.

*I originally wrote that as The Last Skywalker, which worked too even if it wasn't the correct title.

In all seriousness, drew...if you weren't one of my all-time favorite people here, I wouldn't even engage at all. I hope you know none of the above is meant in a truly mean, hateful manner. I'm just poking you because a) I like you, b) I know you can take it, and c) I've been on the receiving end of yours and I didn't melt/implode either. I don't want there to be any confusion or misunderstanding on that. If I didn't like/respect you, we wouldn't even be talking. Ever, about anything.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-14 at 17:08.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-02-14, 17:55

It really is another form of signalling. Like the use of dingbats to only describe women you disagree with (among other choice phrases I am sure). I don’t understand why this specific woman is so offended, but my take on the toss was that it was somewhat disrespectful to the idea of the trophy as a desirable representation that these assholes spent their whole lives pursuing. That is their prerogative of course but it brings into relief the entire stupidity of this and other games as professional activities.

Still. Political dog whistles are becoming increasingly popular. Virtue signalling, SJWs, etc are just the latest versions of older phrases used by conservatives.

Last edited by Dr. Bobsky : 2021-02-14 at 18:36.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-14, 19:27

I know your heart Paul and we are very much sprung from the same font. I mean, we are seriously close to being brothers and I know that had I not met a few extra people along the way that I would be as comfortable using some of these terms. I really would, and I don't disagree about how there exists political speech that is just as responsive to liberals as these are to conservatives.

My point is that these are reflective - mirrors of a fashion.

When you meet the Buddha in the road, kill the Buddha.

Love to all.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-16, 10:30

You can call off the contest. I have found the most 2021 headline of...well, 2021.

And it ain’t even March yet...that might be a record, I’ll have to check.

It’s got it all.

I eagerly look forward to the TED Talk presentation once this sonofabitch pandemic is over. With any luck, the paper towel guy is still taking bookings.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-16, 11:41

Thanks for wasting 15 seconds of my day, Paul!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-16, 11:52

You could've made a life-changing tortilla in that time. Don't blame me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-16, 14:35

But, hey...let's not stop there!

Woman shares life-changing cheese hack on TikTok.

I have to say...this is a little more sensible/practical/share-worthy than the breathless tortilla revelation above. And I've been doing this for decades, and didn't realize it was anything special/cool or a "life hack". I love buying cheddar cheese blocks and that's how I seal/cover it back up. Sometimes with tape, but usually the snug fit does the trick. Been doing this as long as I can remember. Just seemed like the smart, obvious use of the cut-off piece of plastic/wrapping, so the cut cheese (no jokes) isn't exposed, and I'm not having to waste a Ziplock baggie on it.

Hell, apparently I've been an influencer all this time...who knew?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-02-16, 21:59

Re TikTok food hack's not sure if it's on there, but something I started doing recently that has been life changing: using chopsticks when eating Cheetos/Doritos/snacks like that. No more messy fingers lol.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 13:03

Okay, a quick break from the power grid/education/fingerpointing...

For those unable to master the intricacies of Tide Pod and cinnamon challenges, you’re in luck!

All you need is some Gorilla Glue, stage 4 attention whoredom and no functioning brain cells.

Any time I make a wisecrack along the lines of “oh man, next they’ll be be...”, I’ll be damned if real life doesn’t come along and beat me to the punch.

“There’s no way people would shoot peanut butter-coated bottle rockets up their butthole. Right? I mean...”

TikTok: hold my Red Bull

Wait for it...the Skippy Challenge. You heard it here first.

PS - And I was going to make a comment about "I'm sure the inevitable GoFundMe page is being set up as we speak...". And then I skimmed down and saw where that was (allegedly) already a thing too. I cannot keep up with real-life idiocy, no matter how quick-on-the-draw I try to be!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-17, 13:31

Same page as your link. Rush Limbaugh is dead.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-02-17, 19:45

Ding dong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-18, 08:49

Roaring Kitty was a professional according to a new lawsuit against him and his (leading) role in the GameStop stock fiasco.

This will not end well for him if he is actually (or was at one point) licensed. He is going to be the lamb taken to the slaughter. This GameStop saga has been a really fun one to watch.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-18, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Ding dong.
Stay classy, fuckwit.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-18, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Ding dong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Stay classy, fuckwit.
OK, you two!

Bruce and Pscates sitting in a tree

P-I-S-S-I-N-G

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-18, 18:38

I'm with Frank on this one. The Big Texas Talk has been snipped off and moved over here.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-19, 08:53

I don't think Rush Limbaugh is worth fighting over. I'll repeat this (heard on the radio the same day) largely because I agree with it. Having died doesn't make someone a better man, but it's worth looking at the whole all the same. On the one hand you have to give him his due for basically inventing a radio format, it's not easy to pioneer something like that. On the other hand, he did a lot of damage to the lives of poor people, promoting and entrenching attitudes and policies that hurt them, and some could say badly so.

Personally, I think it's a significant black mark on his memory, such as it may be, that any look at modern American extremism is now a look at popular extremism thanks to a formula he created - the likes of Alex Jones, Newsmax, Brietbart, the world of fake news and celebration of hate... all draw a straight line back to him.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-20, 18:38

What can I say?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-21, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
all draw a straight line back to him.
This. And I'm moving on.

Dr. Bobsky

2021-02-21, 06:58

Quote:
Stay classy, fuckwit.
bwahahahaha. an actual defender of the slobby, oxy-addicted, racist douche nozzle that gave nothing to the world but spawned a whole lot of hate? shouldn't be surprised, but am. You didn't have to say anything, Paul... but you did. bwahahahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I don't think Rush Limbaugh is worth fighting over. I'll repeat this (heard on the radio the same day) largely because I agree with it. Having died doesn't make someone a better man, but it's worth looking at the whole all the same. On the one hand you have to give him his due for basically inventing a radio format, it's not easy to pioneer something like that. On the other hand, he did a lot of damage to the lives of poor people, promoting and entrenching attitudes and policies that hurt them, and some could say badly so.

Personally, I think it's a significant black mark on his memory, such as it may be, that any look at modern American extremism is now a look at popular extremism thanks to a formula he created - the likes of Alex Jones, Newsmax, Brietbart, the world of fake news and celebration of hate... all draw a straight line back to him.
I wouldn't go that far. He wasn't that novel -- white supremacists radio sermons predate his brand of BS by a long shot. He was the first to get properly wealthy from it, or well would have if it weren't for the rest of his personality...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-21, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I had heard about stories like that but assumed they were stretching the truth and not have actually happened. You know the whole, I know some one who knew some one that ... thing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-21, 12:20

Yeah. I didn’t fully agree with the invention part either, because I know a bit of history of American Radio and evangelism, but the radio host I tried my best to capture wanted to give him that - perhaps charitably - or simply to acknowledge his prominence.

I think Limbaugh proved the case to those that came after that there was a lot of money to be made peddling that stuff, and grew the market for it too. Not a good thing, but a thing.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-02-21, 19:30

The most charitable thing one can say is that he was the El Chapo of bigotry.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-02-22, 04:05

Quote:
Stay classy, fuckwit.
The best defense I've seen so far is "yeah, he was an asshole, but at least he was our asshole".

Which, ok, cool.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-24, 13:24

See (and control) Spot go on a rampage!

This site allows random users to remotely control Spot (of Boston Dynamics) complete with the ability to shoot paintballs at available targets. Personally I think this is awesome. Not sure about the real implication of a true weaponized remote controlled bot though.