User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-02-15, 22:25

Yeah, my colleague’s Samsung does this. Kind of a neat gimmick. You place the phone on the desk and can glance at it. Except… if you’re not using the phone, but you’re at a desk, you’re probably using the computer? Which has its own clock?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-15, 23:01

Same here. It’s easy enough to raise to look (or whatever that feature is called) or to ask Siri the time or battery life. I don’t need the display on for something that’s in my pocket on on a desk for much of the time. I really don’t.

Not once, since owning/using an iPhone since summer 2007 have I ever wished for this capability/feature.

If it does come, I assume it’ll be able to be turned off/disabled in Settings. I’m sure it will.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-16, 12:20

Ah hell, drew...do yourself a favor and just stick it out until 2023, and then treat yourself to a proper iPhone!

Quote:
Introducing iPhone Jackknife...if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

- Timmy C., September 2023

On a positive note, they will have figured out how to get a 7-8" smartphone to still fit in your pocket!

Kinda makes me think about what will be expected/commonplace come 2030 or so...

Quote:
iPhone XX...the thinnest 11" smartphone on the planet.

We may not need laptops if they keep this shit up. Your phone will be your phone, laptop, desktop, tablet and TV!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-16, 13:39

It's headed that way. I really like the way they handle phones and wall displays on the show The Expanse.

Like many of you, I'm going to sit out the first few rounds of folding phones. Trying to understand how anything will be superior to a screen that undergoes minimal flexure... but huzzah to innovation, if they can pull it off!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-16, 13:46

Oh, they'll pull it off … eventually. I'm still trying to sort out why it's needed other than "Because, that's why!"

My eyesight isn't getting any better, but I'm finding myself wanting a smaller phone.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-16, 14:14

Yeah, I can't wrap my head around the folding screen. All we've ever known is "this thing should NEVER flex or be anything but perfectly straight and rigid...in fact, it's usually a controversy, or a repair program, when it isn't!"

And now, to imagine it folding like a wallet just blows my mind. Will there be a visible crease/seam? Or will that be "built in", to where a screen will be on two separate planes with the in-between gap designed around? But all the talk says "folding screen", so that means the screen itself is bending/folding.

All that is way beyond my feeble grasp.

Apple being Apple, they'll pull it off. But it'll be pricey, and that first generation will be a dice-roll to end all dice-rolls. I wouldn't buy one if you put a bazooka to my neck. That's a little too Rev. A for me.

I'd be completely thrilled with a third-generation, full-face iPhone SE at some point. And I'm sure it's coming. Some day. I'm guessing they'd love to have all their iPhones with a full-face, no button/chin/forehead design. "de-Cadillac" the 12 mini design (remove a camera, ditch the OLED, downgrade a few display/camera-related specs as needed, tweak the materials/construction, etc.) and there's your $399 third-gen SE.

I don't know what's coming this fall...the rumors are all over the place the past few months.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-12, 10:14

Told you so!!!

12S may be more likely name this time around.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-12, 14:36

heh

I could see them skipping it because it is a minor upgrade to the 12 more so than superstition.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-03-12, 16:10

They had iOS 13. Granted, that's not as big a brand as iPhone, but still big enough that superstition doesn't seem to deter them much.

In contrast, Microsoft Office skipped version 13 and went straight from 2007/2008 to 2010/2011, even though you would've barely seen the 13.x version number anywhere.

I kind of got the sense that the era of the 's' years is over, but maybe not. Even so, if this year's is the 12S, that doesn't answer whether next year's would be the 13 or 14.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-12, 19:10

The 2022 version will be the iPhone Maurice.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-12, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The 2022 version will be the iPhone Maurice.

What a bunch of hobsqwauble!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-29, 22:09

Apparently, we'll be needing to buy tinfoil cases for our new iPhones or the satellites will get us.

That's not a minor upgrade.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-29, 22:29

LEO will apparently be US only for years, so they would have to make different phones for regions outside the US. Some family members of ours used to have a satellite phone for when cellar networks didn't have the coverage they have now, but it was not cheap.
chucker

2021-08-30, 01:17

Kuo is fairly reliable, but this sounds hard to believe.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-30, 10:55

The Apple stock price believes it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-30, 11:40

What does all this mean, in plain English, for the regular buyer/end-user? A more expensive iPhone? An add-on service option for those who need it? A 22" antenna?

And does it mean I get to hack in/take over/re-aim any warhead and/or laser-equipped satellites like the Bond villain I've always kinda wanted to be? Because that's worth $699 to me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-30, 13:51

Apparently the last Ted Lasso episode also featured a notchless iPhone. Looks like a 12 from the back, but the front clearly has no notch for FaceID. Wonder how that will fit into 13.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-30, 14:15

Please tell me that Apple isn't seeding AppleTV+ shows with unreleased gadgets now because they think it will improve ratings.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-30, 14:22

I suspect it's just a prop.

Could be the real McCoy, but it seems like there would be too many loose ends to corral.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-30, 14:32

This episode was probably filmed quite some time ago. Does it make any sense it’s an actual working notchless iPhone or just a dummied-up prop?

My money is on the latter. The worlds most secretive company isn’t gonna give it up in a silly TV show shot 5-10 months ago (or longer?) are they?

What’s free think about this? He’s got experience/background in this sort of thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-07, 12:07

Well here we go...next Tuesday, September 14.

We knew it was coming very soon...too much chatter, too many leaks, etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-07, 12:09

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. Hopefully the new Watch gets shown as well as something compelling about the 13 compared to my 11 that I'm not in a rush to replace.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-09-07, 12:35

Also coming from an 11. My contract goes 18 months so I could’ve upgraded already, I guess.

I expect to have a hard time deciding between the 13 mini and 13. I like the iPhone 4-style design. I’m not sure I care about anything else the 12 brought; I think charging magnetically makes sense, but I also don’t really care about inductive charging; MagSafe just makes it slightly less dumb.

I dunno. Will Safari be snappier?

Will the camera be even better? It’s already outstanding on the 11.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-07, 12:52

I also almost forgot that we should get the official release date for iOS 15 during this announcement. Likely macOS won't be far from this release date either.
¡Damned!

2021-09-07, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Well here we go...next Tuesday, September 14.

We knew it was coming very soon...too much chatter, too many leaks, etc.
The heck? How am I supposed to play Decipher The Clues without some circles, squigglys or rounded edges anywhere? Absolutely infuriating.

[edit]: Dead-leaf-brown & overcast-sky-gray are two new iPhone colors, confirmed by The Mamas & the Papas.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2021-09-07 at 13:37.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-07, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Also coming from an 11. My contract goes 18 months so I could’ve upgraded already, I guess.

I expect to have a hard time deciding between the 13 mini and 13. I like the iPhone 4-style design. I’m not sure I care about anything else the 12 brought; I think charging magnetically makes sense, but I also don’t really care about inductive charging; MagSafe just makes it slightly less dumb.

I dunno. Will Safari be snappier?

Will the camera be even better? It’s already outstanding on the 11.
Wasn’t one of the rumors that the Mini didn’t sell well and wasn’t coming back?
chucker

2021-09-07, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Wasn’t one of the rumors that the Mini didn’t sell well and wasn’t coming back?
If the mini sold very poorly, we probably won’t see the effect of that until the 14.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-07, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
The heck? How am I supposed to play Decipher The Clues without some circles, squigglys or rounded edges anywhere? Absolutely infuriating.

[edit]: Dead-leaf-brown & overcast-sky-gray are two new iPhone colors, confirmed by The Mamas & the Papas.
That glowing Apple surely must point to something? Or not. I quit doing this ages ago because a) it drove me crazy, and b) I was never right anyway.
¡Damned!

2021-09-07, 15:52

tbh I think a brown iPhone would be sharp. Not, like, Zune brown, but a nice unsweetened baking chocolate brown.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-07, 15:57

Or, as a cool, retro beach cruiser bike I once owned, a nice metallic caramel/root beer kinda hue? It was gorgeous and very close to this. When the sun/light hit it just right, oh man...*drool*