Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-04-20, 12:24

• colors, bitches!
  • green, blue, orange, red, purple, yellow, silver
  • pale front and white trim by the screen with a vivid deep back, pale stand
  • M1 confirmed for the inside
  • 1080p FaceTime camera for better videocalls (lowlight and overall image signal processing improvements from the M1)
  • three mic array for better listening
  • increased power for the speakers and noise cancelling woofers, 6 speaker system with a 'massive soundstage' and 'spatial audio with Dolby Atmos'
  • 4.5K screen with P3 wide color gamut
  • boasting of improved bootup times
  • 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, magnetic power cable with power adapter, ethernet goes into the power adapter
  • new keyboard + mouse options. 10keyless with options for emojis as well as spotlight/dictation/do not disturb; 10keyless with TouchID ; TouchID with numeric keypad. Magic Mouse and TrackPad also come color-matched.
  • $1299 for 4 colors
  • $1499 for all 7 colors (and says 8-core CPU/GPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
  • April 30th pre-order, shipping 2nd half of May

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

Last edited by Capella : 2021-04-20 at 12:37.
¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 12:35

Multiple keyboards to match multiple colors. Ken's inventory in shambles.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

That safety yellow one is HAWT.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2021-04-20, 12:38

If I was getting one, I would have trouble deciding between the blue or that teal green-blue. Are they doing the laptops in the same colors?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 12:45

I'm thinking we're getting a good sneak peak at future MacBook Pro. Perhaps not the colors, but just the overall look, shaping, little touches, etc.

All the original fruit colors, plus banana.

It is cool that they included a non-color option. So everyone can be happy...those screaming for color, and those not.

They all look good, but they never stayed still long enough in that video to get a super good look. Can't wait until the site is updated.

So are the three extra color options + 8-core (vs. 7-core) graphics the difference between the two? I hope the BTO RAM pricing has been tweaked (downward), but I know better than to hold my breath on that.

I said yesterday I'd never buy an orange (or any color computer again). I probably still wouldn't, but these look way nicer than I ever thought they would.

Holy hell...not only are they complicating their manufacturing/shipping/warehousing lives by doing the iMac itself in seven colors (which I never would've predicted), they're adding to that with the peripherals being the same. They must have some system in place to make this easy/manageable. I would've assumed the mouse and keyboards just come in the one color, as always.

They're really done a throwback to 1998 in some ways, huh? Those jellybean iMacs had matching keyboards and mice too, you'll recall. I would've never guessed they'd go that far. Just watch...mixing/matching/combining will become a thing...yellow iMac, orange keyboard, red mouse, etc. People will be posting their iMac setups to social media, with all the mixing of colors.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2021-04-20, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
They're really done a throwback to 1998 in some ways, huh? Those jellybean iMacs had matching keyboards and mice too, you'll recall. I would've never guessed they'd go that far. Just watch...mixing/matching/combining will become a thing...yellow iMac, orange keyboard, red mouse, etc. People will be posting their iMac setups to social media, with all the mixing of colors.
Yeah but the keyboards and mouse shipped with those. This is more complicated because they're hyping the choice of keyboards (3 types) and pointer peripheral (2 choices). If they bundled it in it would be easier...

twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Quagmire
meh

2021-04-20, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Yeah but the keyboards and mouse shipped with those. This is more complicated because they're hyping the choice of keyboards (3 types) and pointer peripheral (2 choices). If they bundled it in it would be easier...
I suspect it will be similar how it is now. The keyboard with the lock button is the stock keyboard. Then in configuration, you can choose the one with touch ID for $10 more. Then numeric keyboard with Touch ID for $30 more all locked to the color you chose for the iMac itself.

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
EDIT: It does come with a keyboard and mouse...whew. The way I read that, I was worried for a second.

PS - Drew, you were talking about a pink iMac yesterday. They're calling that red one pink, so there you go.

They have a $1,699 model with 512GB SSD, but still 8GB RAM.

The BTO configuration stuff isn't live/working, so I can't see what any of the upgrades cost. But in the tech specs, it does say the SSD is configurable to 1 and 2TB and the RAM to 16GB (no 32GB).

They're gonna get you on the RAM, one way or another.

This does feel "next generation", all that minimalism. Is that a headphone jack on the side?

Everyone at MacRumors is squawking over the presence of the chin, as though that's something worth squawking over. I think it would look a little odd without something on the bottom.
Quagmire
meh

2021-04-20, 13:08

Keyboard is included. One with touch ID included with the $1499 model.

https://imgur.com/ucxPv29
¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 13:12

The low-end iMac loses 2 USB 3.1 ports. It's weird decisions Apple does like that that make me cringe.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 13:13

And the Ethernet port is on the power brick. They're really wanting this thing to have as few ports/holes as possible.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2021-04-20, 13:15

Quote:
Wait...are you saying the keyboard and mouse are not included now, at those $1,299 and $1,499 prices? Surely they are, but you can choose a different color or keyboard type beyond the stock ones included (a mouse and basic keyboard, color-matched, comes in the box...but you can upgrade your keyboard, or opt for a trackpad instead, as before and in your color choice?

Or are these things coming in the box with NO input devices and you have to shell out extra now? Are these a Mac mini with a screen?

PS - Drew, you were talking about a pink iMac yesterday. They're calling that red one pink, so there you go.

They have a $1,699 model with 512GB SSD, but still 8GB RAM.
Oop, you're right, it does come with the base model keyboard - on the $1299 model it's plain, on the second two models it's the one with Touch ID and you can upgrade. I briefly spaced and remembered the minis which do Not come with input peripherals. My bad.

The $1299 model only having 2 TB/USB4 ports and not having the extra USB3 or Ethernet just feels weird. I wish it was $1099 with that level of crippling. I also wish I knew what the GPUs were equivalent to in this system for pixel pushing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 13:24

If I ever got one of these I'd just get the silver iMac, but I'd find a way to get the orange keyboard and mouse. A little splash of color, just not the whole computer itself.

The pricing does seem off, somehow. Would've been a no-brainer to see a $1,099 (crippled), $1,299 and $1,499 layout.

Assuming their RAM pricing remains the same ($200 to go to 16GB), that $1,499 model (256GB SSD) is now $1,699. That's the bare minimum of anything I'd buy in 2021 (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD). I've got 256GB now and right at half full, so I'd be okay with that amount again. But the 16GB RAM, I won't budge on.

But you do get a larger screen, the M1, the better camera, sound, etc.

So I guess it all kinda shakes out in the end. Just depends on what's important to you.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-20, 14:11

Wonder if these keyboards will work with other T2 chip enabled Macs. I would welcome TouchID on my daily use MBP.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-20, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Holy cow, you ain't kidding.

7 colors of computer
7 colors of mouse
7 colors of trackpad
7 colors of keyboard x 3 (21 options).

Good news: These things come with color-matched mouse and keyboard. So far, it appears that Touch ID options are only available with their respective computer options. So, inventory will be contained within the box. Since most of our customers prefer the 10-key, that's how we will stock them. And that's just the way it will be.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-20, 14:50

Am I missing something or is the only choice a 24” screen? I don’t see any sign of anything else. Bummer. Guess I’ll have to tell the folks to wait and see if a larger screen option comes later.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-04-20, 15:12

I'm so tempted by these. I think the yellow looks more orange than the actual orange one does.

The color matched accessories looks sweet too.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-04-20, 15:16

I kind of want a Red one, although this one is actually dark pink. Maybe a (Product)Red version soon?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 15:20

Y'all, that yellow is EXACTLY "my" color - kind of a school bus / earthmover color yellow. I would LOVE it if they came out with a MacBook Pro in that color but worry that the color would get scrubbed off with use.

REALLY would love to have an iMac in that color "just because" but it TURNS OUT THAT I AM NOT AS RICH AS I THOUGHT I WOULD BE AT THIS POINT IN MY CAREER THANK YOU VERY MUCH rPLANK DEBACLE.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Quagmire
meh

2021-04-20, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Am I missing something or is the only choice a 24” screen? I don’t see any sign of anything else. Bummer. Guess I’ll have to tell the folks to wait and see if a larger screen option comes later.
Bigger version probably coming when an M1X/M2X is available to power it. M1 in a 27" replacement would be a bit of a downgrade compared to the Intel 27" iMac, at least the higher end 27" iMac's.

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 16:05

I wonder how long these colors stick around? Changed/tweaked a year from now? Forever? Any special editions coming (space gray, or even black)?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-20, 16:32

Quote:
I wonder how long these colors stick around? Changed/tweaked a year from now? Forever? Any special editions coming (space gray, or even black)?
Darker color choices for the 32-inch iMac with M1X this fall, I’m guessing. Like iPhone vs. iPhone Pro.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 17:03

You really expect a 32” iMac? I assumed it would go from 27” to 30”.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 17:34

Kinda curious about how much Jony Ive was in on this. If at all. Or did he just spend his final years at Apple obsessing over curved glass walls for the new campus?

If he wasn't part of this, I wonder what his take on it is.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-20, 17:45

Quote:
You really expect a 32” iMac? I assumed it would go from 27” to 30”.
Maybe. If they want to reuse the panel of the Pro Display XDR (which will help drive down cost), it’s 32. Otherwise, I suppose 30 is plenty.
¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Darker color choices for the 32-inch iMac with M1X this fall, I’m guessing. Like iPhone vs. iPhone Pro.
Oooh man, a Pacific Blue iMac? Maybe that Midnight Green from the iPhone 11 Pro? Yummy. I may get my sage iMac after all!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 19:19

It’s been hours and people at MacRumors are still wigging out that the chin remains.

I believe they have officially veered into “get a life” territory. There are a half-dozen other things, far more legit and meaningful, to squawk about if you want (pricing, RAM, the arbitrary tying of colors to specs, the white bezel, the odd crippling of a model costing $1,299, etc.). The chin keeps it from looking like an Acer monitor at Staples.

BTW (speaking of monitors), minus the computer guts, wouldn’t this make a nice 24” Apple display for those not looking to sell a kidney? And the stand is included! Pair with a Mac mini or 13” notebook. Apple used to sell displays in various sizes, then they seemed to give it up and push those LG offerings.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-20 at 19:37.
¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 20:19

If the chin is removed then where will I put my sticky notes? Speaking of... and I just now noticed this... there's no Apple logo on the chin of the new iMacs.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 20:45

Yep. They’re crying about that too. This is proving to be a very divisive product. For everyone who loves/praises it, there are two who rip it (talking about MacRumors).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 20:56

I love the chin.

Those people can STEP OFF.