The Evolution of Apple Silicon

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Evolution of Apple Silicon
Page 5 of 9 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-25, 09:44

Yeah, my mom does nothing strenuous on her computer at all. Online shopping and basic spreadsheets. The biggest challenge she is going to have it not being able to keep her REALLY old copy of Excel running and have to buy a new copy. She doesn't want to move to Numbers so she gets to pay.

Here is the actual projected time right now: Arrives Feb 17 - Feb 24

I'm actually surprised it is that far out. Even for a BTO model. You'd think that the second tier with doubled RAM would be readily available but I guess Apple is still struggling with parts or something. That is a long way out. I do hope it gets here sooner though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-01-25 at 10:48.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-02-17, 14:46

So now there is M1 specific malware. A user demonstrated getting around all of Apples protection, gaining root access, deleting apps, and such.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...gun-to-appear/
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 14:47

Good grief.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-17, 15:14

I didn't read the specifics of that malware but it looks pretty rough once installed. I'm sure (but, again, haven't read the specs) that using a non-admin account could mitigate the problem here. I mean, if you give it install rights with those admin crews then you are screwed still. If it can gain admin rights without a source admin account though... that is something different entirely.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-17, 15:18

Don't install Adobe Flash, Acrobat, or anything "anti …" or "clean …" and you are likely to never find this stuff.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-02-17, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Dead wrong. Most Windows users I know find the Mini the most compelling Mac. mind you I’m not talking about the types that would buy a Dell/HP/Acer/ASUS prebuilt machine. I for one am a builder, by your definition, yet I also own three Macs (iMac + 2 Mac Mini). As a builder, a Mac Mini is there perfect Mac for the few Apple apps that I prefer to use over Windows software. I already have several high quality 1440p monitors, I have no use for an iMac now, and wouldn’t buy one again.
I’m one of those people that has been nursing along a 2008 unibody MacBook as my base “Apple desktop or app required system” with a built PC (housed in a G5 case) for pretty much anything else.

Now both need desperately need an upgrade and I finally gave some free funds after emerging from a medical/student loan induced Chapter 13. Given the state of the graphics card and RAM market building is a terrible idea right now. I’m planning on getting a M1 mini to tide me over for the next 9 months until the PC gaming/mining world shakes itself out.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-17, 16:38

I saw a thing at AppleInsider where 16GB RAM Mac minis are on sale for a good price (well, a bit less than the $899 they'd go for direct from Apple).

Here it is.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-17, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Don't install Adobe Flash, Acrobat, or anything "anti …" or "clean …" and you are likely to never find this stuff.
And run an ad-blocker. A lot of malware side-loads through infected ads.

This malware, a Safari extension, was using using an Apple signed signature, meaning it could install without throwing up warnings. Apple has revoked that signature and it will no longer run on Big Sir.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-18, 12:35

Quote:
And run an ad-blocker. A lot of malware side-loads through infected ads.
Yes. And do that.

I use ABP, and other good ones exist I'm sure.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-20, 19:45

I use Macs precisely so I don't have to deal with crazy viruses and rampant malware.

Haven't run an ad blocker before. How does malware sideload through an ad? I thought individual apps ran in protected spaces to prevent things like this?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-21, 02:07

It doesn't. But for a lot of folks, ads are the way in just by getting the user to click on "Adobe Flash is out of date. Click here!"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-21, 10:14

And there is a second malware variant that is native to both Intel and M1. Been out for a while too. Though this one doesn't seem to actually do anything yet.

Given the likely vector is malicious ads I'm sure it targets those who needed to install their Flash updates too.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-21, 10:45

Not many ads use flash anymore, most are HTML5, or pictures. I suspect the biggest uptake is from illegal torrents and sketchy download sites. I’ve had to remove malware and pups from my parents computers a few times. My mum always got them from ads on genuine baking/cooking sites. Sadly their computers 09 iMac/09 13” MPB, are all running old versions of Mac OS, so they cannot run a modern version of Safari, and no adblockers seem to work on that version anymore. I’ve tried to get them to switch to a browser that is at least up to date (Firefox or Chrome) but they won’t. At least I got them to use malwarebytes to get them off. I’m really looking forward to the M1 iMacs, they will upgrade when they come out.

Last edited by PB PM : 2021-02-21 at 10:55.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-02-21, 16:54

Quote:
Not many ads use flash anymore, most are HTML5, or pictures. I suspect the biggest uptake is from illegal torrents and sketchy download sites. I’ve had to remove malware and pups from my parents computers a few times. My mum always got them from ads on genuine baking/cooking sites. Sadly their computers 09 iMac/09 13” MPB, are all running old versions of Mac OS, so they cannot run a modern version of Safari, and no adblockers seem to work on that version anymore. I’ve tried to get them to switch to a browser that is at least up to date (Firefox or Chrome) but they won’t. At least I got them to use malwarebytes to get them off. I’m really looking forward to the M1 iMacs, they will upgrade when they come out.
Definitely some targeted audiences by the choice of websites that get hit with malicious ads.

My router notifications light up like a Christmas tree with blocked malicious site messages while the girlfriend is browsing knitting/crochet sites.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-21, 17:41

Dirty, dirty Knitters.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-22, 16:07

A commenter at Ars actually went through pretty details steps to remove or verify you're clear from the Silver Sparrow malware. For once, the comments were worth reading. At least one of them anyway.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-22, 21:01

Maybe we should copy those instructions over here?

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-22, 22:12

Maybe it's not a bad idea if Apple takes their time with the M1X.

Although I suspect, since AI has a story on iMac discounts, that the M1X is already baked and in the process of delivery.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-22, 23:14

Chip development has to be at least 2 years ahead of final production. The M1X was finished perhaps 2 years ago. I can pretty much guarantee they have been in the production-testing phase for 6 months or longer. In the labs they are production-testing the M2, and finalizing designs for the M2x, prototyping the M3 and M3x, and developing plans for the M4 and beyond. This stuff takes years to hash out.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-22, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Maybe we should copy those instructions over here?

Direct link to the source with all the actual details: https://redcanary.com/blog/clipping-...parrows-wings/

TLDR: If you find a file at any of the following locations, your system is likely infected. Deleting them and rebooting is a good start, but there are more things you should check and purge as well.

/tmp/agent
/tmp/agent.sh
/tmp/version.json
/tmp/version.plist
/tmp/verx
~/Library/._insu
~/Library/Application Support/agent_updater/agent.sh
~/Library/Application Support/verx_updater/verx.sh
~/Library/Launchagents/agent.plist
~/Library/Launchagents/init_agent.plist
~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist
~/Library/Launchagents/verx.plist

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 09:46

So I'm clear, the only difference between the current Air and 13" MBP is TouchBar or not right?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-30, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So I'm clear, the only difference between the current Air and 13" MBP is TouchBar or not right?
Mostly. The Pro has:
  • a fan, which has pros and cons: it can sustain high performance for longer; the Air eventually has to throttle; OTOH, it obviously makes noise and means yet another moving part that could possibly break.
  • a bigger battery
  • a brighter display
  • better speakers and mics
  • the Touch Bar (a pro or con, depending on whom you ask)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 10:33

Hmmm... For $250 I can get the improvements. That doesn't really seem to make sense. Really, this is for my teenager and while I would like them to get something "nicer" I just can't justify that price difference. Headphones are how they use their computer anyway so speakers are not relevant. Less moving parts seems like a better option for young ones...

Wonder when I'll see refubs for the new Air?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-30, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
OTOH, it obviously makes noise
Has anyone heard it yet? I haven't.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-30, 11:27

Quote:
Hmmm... For $250 I can get the improvements. That doesn't really seem to make sense. Really, this is for my teenager and while I would like them to get something "nicer" I just can't justify that price difference. Headphones are how they use their computer anyway so speakers are not relevant. Less moving parts seems like a better option for young ones...
In this situation, it would be the Air for me, hands down. Not even a question.

Quote:
Wonder when I'll see refubs for the new Air?
They're already out, and have been for a while (since March or so, I believe). The searching thing is weird, so it almost works better to just manually cull through all the refurb Airs. But I've seen them for well over a month now (minis and MacBook Pro too).

Here you go...hope it's still there. A silver M1 MacBook Air for $849 (the 8 core/7-core graphics) with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD). There are others available, but this is the base, cheapest one...$150 off the regular $999 price.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-30, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Has anyone heard it yet? I haven't.
I don't think I've ever heard a computer fan. So people either exaggerate the noise, or I'm just deaf as a hammer. Maybe a bit of both.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-30, 12:09

Oh, we hear them all the time. Still, the M1 runs so cool even under load that the most the fans really do is run at idle just to keep air moving.

The point I was making is that I have yet to hear the fans spin up in an M1 machine.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-30, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard a computer fan. So people either exaggerate the noise, or I'm just deaf as a hammer. Maybe a bit of both.
It depends. Due to space constraints (doubly so: less room for chips to cool down, and less room for fans to move a lot of air at a time), laptop fans tend to be a lot louder. A recent Intel MacBook Air/Pro can get very shrieky.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-04-30, 12:41

Can confirm, when it gets cranky (OneDrive sync, looking in your direction), the fan kicks on enough to be disruptive to video conferencing calls.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-30, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Can confirm, when it gets cranky (OneDrive sync, looking in your direction), the fan kicks on enough to be disruptive to video conferencing calls.
M1?