Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac 2021
Page 5 of 11 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-19, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yep. I read that these aren’t much larger, side-to-side, than the 21.5” models. That’s pretty cool. I’m always a big fan of “big a screen as possible in smallest packaging”.

I know they’re popular, but every time I’ve ever sat in front of a 27” iMac, it just felt overwhelming and like it was going to eat me. I always gravitated you the 21.5”
I currently have the 21.5" iMac that I'm replacing with the 24" M1 iMac....

....and a 27" Thunderbolt Display.

I used both monitors constantly with spreadsheets and reporting, so I'm bullying used to them now.

I'll be bumping the Thunderbolt display over to my "secondary" monitor that the iMac currently is used for and get the shiny hotness of the M1 iMac as my primary viewing display.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-19, 15:32

Great. But does it match the M1 iMac?

I've never really seen a dual-monitor setup that really appealed to me.
I think if I went dual monitor, I'd pair the 24" with a portrait/vertical screen.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-19, 15:54

Seeing as how I've never had anything larger than that 20" iMac (1680x1050), if I wound up with one of these M1 iMacs, I'd be in for a treat, any way you cut it. I look forward to seeing these in person. Those unboxing/review videos have stirred my interest a bit more.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-19, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Gruber has made comments to the affect of "The Talk Show is the Director's Commentary to Daring Fireball"

I could see that.

He sometimes goes way into products both on DF and the podcast, and other times, he just gives a few paragraphs and a few minutes on others.

I do like reading/listening to him more so than the rest. He just seems like a "regular guy who likes Apple stuff" more so than a product reviewer.
I'm kind of an on-again-off-again listener to that podcast. He gets very opinionated, and is often very right. And sometimes quite wrong.

I know this is kind of a tech nerd problem, but I often find myself frustrated when podcasters either make an assertion, then wonder out loud (gee, if only there were a way to pause recording, look it up somewhere, resume), or worse, they proudly proclaim that it doesn't even really matter if they're right "because it's a podcast". Like, OK, is that really your production standard?

Quote:
I'm not expecting much out of these videos that hasn't already been covered in the Mac mini and MBP reviews. The biggest difference is the screen and the color, and both of them will have to be seen in person to truly grasp.
Something about the first few seconds of both of those videos just really delighted me. It's just a fun product to look at. Not every home has rooms whose interior is this colorful, but a lot of homes do, so, hey.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-21, 21:51

Got this today.

I'm not going to post any pictures or anything because others have done those better. Jason Snell's pictures are exactly what I got. The orange one is great, but not as bright as I would have liked. The brightness comes off more in pictures than it does in real life.

first impressions so far:
- Display is great, but that's a given at this point for any display from Apple.
- TouchID on the keyboard is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it's any better/worse than using an Apple Watch for the same purposes. Obviously, if you don't wear an Apple Watch, it's a very nice thing, but not sure if you need both.
- It's fast as anything, but that's not surprising given I've been using an M1 MBP for the last few months as well. Basically the same computer in each, just different form factors.
- Color matched accessories are great. Apple needs to make all of their cables braided from this point forward.

I'm sure I'll get more else of this over the next few days, but overall, for the first few hours, this thing is super impressive and will more than handle what I need it to handle.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-22, 05:42

Quote:
TouchID on the keyboard is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it's any better/worse than using an Apple Watch for the same purposes. Obviously, if you don't wear an Apple Watch, it's a very nice thing, but not sure if you need both.
I think Snell said it's a little slow (which makes sense, wireless communication and all), so I wonder how that compares to the Watch?

Quote:
Apple needs to make all of their cables braided from this point forward.
Yup. (I'm hoping this helps with fraying.)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-22, 08:48

Having seen a few reviews, the magnetic power cable seems a little, dumb. Why bother if it doesn’t protect against tugs and pull out like MagSafe did? One showed it pulling the iMac right off the desk like a normal cable would have. Add that to the smooth feet on the bottom, which makes it easy to slide (who asked for this?), and you have a disaster waiting to happen for users who put them on desks that don’t back onto a wall.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-22, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think Snell said it's a little slow (which makes sense, wireless communication and all), so I wonder how that compares to the Watch?
I know I may be in the minority here, but I have absolutely no problem right now with the one wire going from my Apple extended keyboard to the back of the iMac. And I never have to care about whether the keyboard is charged or not.

If the wireless option slows down TouchID, give us a wired option.
chucker

2021-05-22, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I know I may be in the minority here, but I have absolutely no problem right now with the one wire going from my Apple extended keyboard to the back of the iMac. And I never have to care about whether the keyboard is charged or not.

If the wireless option slows down TouchID, give us a wired option.
Same here. I kind of get wireless mice (cable gets in the way and tangly when you're moving the mouse around a lot), but I don't really understand wireless keyboards and trackpads, on a desk. For the couch setup where you have a big screen in the back and your keyboard on the sofa, I get it, but that never really seemed to take off as a lifestyle.

My setup is cheapo Cherry or Logitech keyboard + Apple Magic Trackpad 2. Because their trackpad is fantastic, but there's plenty of keyboard competition.

If I were to get an iMac, I might go all-in on Apple accessories, but I can't think of a reason I wouldn't still use them wired.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-05-22, 18:04

First thing I'd do is get a different keyboard and mouse, Apple's keyboards are so, so and the mice are down right terrible. Step one, pick up a nice wired mechanical keyboard, step two, get a good Logitech wired or wireless mouse to make the machine usable. Step three, put Apple's keyboard and mouse on eBay.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-05-24, 10:21

Remember how I was talking about the issue with the needless death of perfectly good and usable iMac screens last week? So why hasn’t Apple done this with the M1 iMac? Seriously, Apple do this and make the screen usable for more than one generation. Dell more innovative Apple (a few years ago at that), so sad. If Apple wants to decrease their carbon foot print, which they say they do, stuff like this would go a long way.

It would be easy to do as well., they could still sell entire machines, and have separate upgrade modules. That would be huge for people who find out they need more CPU power, and not have to toss/sell a good monitor to do it. The USB/Thunderbolt connectors would have to be on the compute unit on the stand, rather than the screen, but would that really be such a bad thing? The position of the ports now are a pain anyway. Apples implementation would be better, screen and stand all one piece, with the modular unit plugging in to that. It would have to lock in somehow to prevent theft of course. So the screen, speakers and such are built into the housing, a set to be used for 5 years or so (which they have basically been doing anyway), and you have swapable units. That would be great for people who want to take their machine to and from work as well. Just have two stands.

Last edited by PB PM : 2021-05-24 at 10:35.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-24, 12:34

Apple's never going to do that. They make a big deal about the environment and climate change, but their whole business model is based on locking users in to the ecosystem and charging premium pricing. Easily upgrading your equipment messes with that model.

Not to mention that allowing you to upgrade your AIO screen means that you might - gasp - choose a better screen from another company.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-05-24, 12:49

Which is why I said Apple wouldn’t do it that way, if they did have a semi-modular approach. It would be an iMac as you know it, but the computer plugged into the stand. I know they won’t, but they should.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-25, 15:55

We just got our first in stock. We aren't setting this one up, but did unpack it.

First impressions:

- Very unstable side to side for some reason (the foot is too narrow) and 5-year olds are going to be knocking these things over like crazy. Moral of the story: If you have littles, get AppleCare+.

- Super thin

- There's enough cardboard in the box to pack three twelve-packs and a small mule.

- The box weighs more than the computer.

- Check out all those tiny little connectors in that power plug.

- Reminds me of a 3rd-party display a bit with all of the "plastic covering everything" packaging.

Otherwise, very sexy!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-25, 16:06

Ooh, I've yet to hear anything about that side-to-side stability. That's concerning.

Add "cats" to that "littles + AppleCare" advice. My Jasper is always hopping up on my desk to chat, and he likes to nudge everything with his head.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-25, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Ooh, I've yet to hear anything about that side-to-side stability. That's concerning.

Add "cats" to that "littles + AppleCare" advice. My Jasper is always hopping up on my desk to chat, and he likes to nudge everything with his head.
Yeah, he's gonna knock that sucker over.

I consider this a very disappointing design choice, and I suspect it is going to be the subject of some class-action lawsuits in the very near future.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-25, 17:27

Of course. Suing Apple has become a top 5 hobby/pursuit for some.

So it’s really that serious, huh? Why have none of these unboxing/review videos and articles touched on this?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-25, 17:48

I don't know the answer to that. I just know that we put it on the counter and thought it was a touch unbalanced. Then we "rocked" it and it rocks back and forth like a pendulum 4 or 5 times.

chucker

2021-05-25, 17:59

#rockgate
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-25, 18:02

Nice.

I hate that I can’t rag on Ive for it. Or can I?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-25, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
#rockgate
<3

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-25, 19:05

I’m waiting for the big fencing company to have a horrible snag/recall involving their faulty swinging doors/barriers.

You see where I’m going with this. I just wanna see the stupid word in print.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-26, 15:44

Got a couple more in today. Both blue, one is an 8/8/16/512*, and the other an 8/8/16/256*. The blue is a very nice color, but I'm not sold on the two-tone, yet. I need more time with them.

* For our purposes, this is the way we define them: CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-26, 18:06

So, we're doing our first data migration.

The display is gorgeous, as we've come to expect from Apple.

The blue is beautiful on the back, a bit too light on the front.

The power brick is larger than the 96w adapter for the MacBook Pro, and not quite as big as some of the older ACD pucks. The ethernet port is, well, an ethernet port.

If you look inside the magnetic power coupling, there is a row of 10 or 12 pins for the USB something-or-other ethernet connection. I suspect we might see some 3rd-party innovation if they can figure out how to use those pins (although it is likely patented by Apple, so don't go expecting miracles).

This is the first Mac in a very long time where we have had to unpack the power cord in order to even set it up.

There are 14 keyboard, 7 mouse, and 7 trackpad options, and since none are yet available at retail, the customer will have exactly zero options in-store beyond what's in the box.

Boot-up and update feels every bit like an M1 Mac Mini, but with an actual display that isn't just average.

Everything is color coordinated. The mouse and keyboard, the power cable, the lightning charger cable, the desktop background on boot-up (which feels too bright), the "Hello" slogan at boot, the little KB/MS markers printed inside the box, and even the USB-C boards on the inside of the computer! I think the spawn of Jony Ive lives inside this thing (much to Paul's contempt)!

We're using a USB KB/MS, so I have no input on those things. Still, they're just the regular thing but in pretty colors, so

Overall, a very nice looking computer, with crazy, overkill packaging making it clear that Apple may be done with styrofoam and have instead chosen to murder at least 3 trees per iMac. Seriously, the unpacked box weighs almost 30 pounds, and the computer is only 10 of those. The box is 13 pounds alone! Accessories and other fluff account for the remainder.

Did I mention the display is gorgeous?

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-05-26 at 21:42.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-05-26, 19:02

Most reviews said the display was very reflective (as in more so than older models), true, or untrue?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-26, 20:39

I wouldn't say it's any more or less reflective than the previous models.

Still a glossy screen that will show reflections, but no more so than that other iMacs did.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-26, 21:40

Once the display was turned on, I didn't notice anything. I was in our brightly lit service department with lots of overhead LED light panels. However, I was not with my back to any light sources. Once we get our floor model out, it will face a window and I'll have more input.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-27, 11:35

OK. A few more tidbits:

1) If your cat/dog/parrot/rabbit/rabid kid chews up your power supply, good luck! So far, they are not available at retail nor as service parts, and I suspect they are going to be in thin supply (I will update this as I get more info). This (and the KB/MS/TP) are a bad move service-wise, as no replacement parts are available yet. Also, if you need to take your 2021 iMac in for service, make sure you take your power supply with you. We normally have all kinds of power cables/supplies laying about, but not for these things.

2) After we do a data migration or any other setup, we like to pack the computer back into the box as closely as new as possible so our customers can have a nice unpacking experience. Holy cow, these things are like, well, ever unpack a Barbie play set? I have a daughter, so I've unpacked a million of them. And there is no way on this planet you can get those things back into the box they came in. The new iMac is just like that! Good grief, Charlie Brown! Between the cardboard-wrapped cables, the finicky scratch-jacket, and all the plastic sticky-wrappers, this is by far the most annoying packaging Apple has ever come up with. From a 1st-time opening experience, it's quite good. After that, though …

3) Still no sign of glare from the display (when it's on and running). It's just that good! Beyond the M1, this is the real "bright" spot. That display is just outstanding!

This is a very good computer. My complaints are mostly with superficial packaging issues, the "rocking" thing (although this is no problem unless Felix gets rambunctious), and the toss-it-all-at-the-wall-for-attentioin-to-detail-color-matched things are a bit over the top. I get Apple's desire for attention to detail, but this thing is just way over the top and could create a replacement-parts customer service nightmare down the road. I get the KB/MS/TP, put the power supply and lightning cable? Apple should not have released these things until they had enough parts inventory to immediately make them available, especially for service. A dog is going to chew one of these cords, and then the customer is gonna be stuck—and flipping angry as hell!

No. Good. At. All!

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-05-27 at 12:00.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-27, 11:49

I said this since day one. Sure, make the computer colors if that's what everyone thinks they want. Whatever. You know what? Give a nod to 1998 and match the mouse and other input devices. Go right ahead, I don't give a shit. Fine.

But, yeah...the rest seems to just be looking for something to do and something to crow about from Apple..."look at all the stuff we matched!"

Nobody cares about the cabling (a rarely, if ever, seen power cable?). You'll see, what...10-15", at most, before it waterfalls over the back side of your desk? And the lightning one which many probably won't even use? Yeah, those could've just been left white/light grey/whatever (especially the far-more-important power cable).

I hate to imagine a scenario where Rufus chews through one (hope he's okay) and it becomes a stupid situation of someone lamenting their sad lot in life (on Twitter and TikTok, of course) because their pink, green or purple iMac can't get a new, matched power cable, and they're having to settle for blue or yellow because of stocking/supply issues. Or, worse, none at all.

What Apple is going to call "attention to detail" and "getting the little things right" (so people like Gruber can tug it over 38 paragraphs), I'm going to call an unasked-for pain-in-the-ass on the parts/service front, and something that never had to happen (but will, guaranteed).

The headache they've created for themselves, going this bonkers on all the color-matching: computer, mouse, keyboard(s), trackpad, cables and packaging/printing...x7! I think 98% of the planet would've been cool/impressed with just the iMac itself being a nice color. Aside from parts of the colored aluminum surrounding the keyboard keys, you really don't even see the coloring on the mouse and trackpad, seeing as how they're mainly on the underside (and little, barely-visible slivers on the sides). It's just weird that they saw that as something worth undertaking and fooling with, that much extra work/SKUs for such little real-world payoff or impact.

15 years from now, when the inevitable "Tim era" book gets written, I'm hoping a page or two is devoted to this new iMac's development, and some behind-the-scenes stuff on the color choices, and how far they took it. To be a fly on the wall at some of those meetings! I bet there was some serious opposition from some.

"Guys...WTF?! Really? Lightning cables? We can make them all white and save a boatload of money and hassle!"

"Piss off, Grinch. Everyone on the planet has lost their mind over this past year...we're going to slap them back to happiness with colors, dammit!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-27 at 12:16.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-27, 12:17

Yeah, and for small shops like ours, keeping power supplies in stock at all is going to be troublesome. Even in a non-panicked-everything-is-available world, power supplies are sometimes out of stock. Now, we might have green available, but no orange or silver. Thus, customers will be forced to either A) Wait; or B) pick up a *gasp* non-matching power supply!

I can't wait!