Page 2 of 8 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-10, 12:59

And more. Sheesh.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-14, 13:19

Are you guys sure you want to use these things?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-14, 13:21

I saw that article and have admit it is just bad. Though, if you actually look at the app and what it does, most people who put five minutes into looking at the footage would be able to figure out where you live anyway. The fact that this is an Amazon product adds to the "hell no" factor for me ever considering something like that.

In other news, I read Google completed it's acquisition of FitBit. Good thing they stand with "don't be evil" as their catch phrase. You can trust them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-14, 13:54

Oh, hell, I'm so glad I don't use one of those anymore. Even still, Google now has my exercise data for about a year from back when I wore one. Glad I don't anymore.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-14, 14:33

As soon as the plan was made public I downloaded Mrs T's and my own data and deleted our accounts. Hopefully Google never gets their hands on them... but that is assuming delete account actually meant "delete".

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-22, 17:42

Turtle pointed this out, and it deserves to be in here.

I cannot understand why anyone wants to have the inside of their home accessible to the internet. We are seriously asking for trouble.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-25, 11:02

Parler DB compromised and published showing the faces of Capitol Hill rioters.
Quote:
Late last week, a website called Faces of the Riot appeared online, showing nothing but a vast grid of more than 6,000 images of faces, each one tagged only with a string of characters associated with the Parler video in which it appeared. The site's creator tells WIRED that he used simple, open source machine-learning and facial recognition software to detect, extract, and deduplicate every face from the 827 videos that were posted to Parler from inside and outside the Capitol building on January 6, the day when radicalized Trump supporters stormed the building in a riot that resulted in five people's deaths. The creator of Faces of the Riot says his goal is to allow anyone to easily sort through the faces pulled from those videos to identify someone they may know, or recognize who took part in the mob, or even to reference the collected faces against FBI wanted posters and send a tip to law enforcement if they spot someone.
This is why you have to understand what sharing your GPS data on your images does. This isn't about the politics of the idiots, it is about the fact that this one company did such a bad job securing their chat services that it compromised the identity and privacy of the users.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-28, 12:40

While I do not believe Apple is perfect or exempt from scrutiny, I do believe they are headed in the right direction. The linked Apple article is worth a read.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-01, 17:45

Amazon wants your biometric data in the name of ease.

Hmmm... I trust them so much I should send them a DNA sample too for good measure.

While the concept of ease is nice, the giving up of immutable biometric data is not. Once it is done you can't get it back. I mean, you could theoretically destroy your palm to make it never look like it did when it was scanned, but that would suck more than your data going out.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-05, 11:26

And the data breeches continue. This time, it's Facebook's turn.

I find it interesting that the financial system doesn't seem to get hacked. At least not that we know of. Would they tell us?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-04-05, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
And the data breeches continue. This time, it's Facebook's turn.

I find it interesting that the financial system doesn't seem to get hacked. At least not that we know of. Would they tell us?
*Equifax has entered the chat*

*Wells Fargo has entered the chat*

*Capital One has entered the chat*

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-06, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
*Equifax has entered the chat*

*Wells Fargo has entered the chat*

*Capital One has entered the chat*

Well, I know that customer information has been hacked, but the actual *financial system*, i.e. hacking into the system and moving money around? Has that been hacked?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-06, 12:56

All the time but in small portions limited to specific users more than a single large breach that filled a Swiss bank account.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-06, 13:24

But, is this hacking someone's account and transferring money, or actually hacking into the system to move money "behind the servers" sort of thing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-06, 23:11

If you mean did hackers get a back door into the largest world banks and make behind the scenes transfers? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have been. We likely would never hear about it, because there would be no user to notify, so they would just never disclose it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-07, 12:18

It's an interesting thought, and I suspect it's more likely than not. Plus, it might start a panic if people knew the money supply could be so "easily" manipulated.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-08, 18:13

LinkedIn.

A few bucks and you can have people.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-10, 10:04

That has got to make Microsoft proud of that purchase!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-29, 15:11

Amazon totally cares about your privacy.

I mean, while this is horrible in almost every way, I understand the problem they are trying to fix. Their method though... I mean, you have to opt out rather than opt in. Who is going to take the time to opt out? Almost no one and they know it.
Quote:
By default, Amazon devices including Alexa, Echo, Ring, security cams, outdoor lights, motion sensors, and Tile trackers will enroll in the system. And since only a tiny fraction of people take the time to change default settings, that means millions of people will be co-opted into the program whether they know anything about it or not.
I didn't realize Tile was their product too.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-05-29 at 16:16.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-05-30, 00:00

Auto opt in seems to be the default with most of these big tech companies. It likely allows them to mine data they couldn't otherwise get. Just another reason not to get smart junk.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-04, 10:42

TikTok to begin collecting user's biometric data.

What. The. Hell?!?

Use at your own future risk.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-04, 11:25

I assume it’s to keep tabs on their users’ health while taking part in the latest Fuckwit Challenge du jour (gunpowder eating, Tabasco up the butthole, dancing in the freeway,, etc.)

PS - It’s harder than you think to come up with the above because most of my initial efforts were too close to things I can imagine morons actually doing. And I’d say there’s a 50/50 shot on the three things I made up becoming a thing before the year is out.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-04, 12:10

Spewing purple vomit while fire-walking?

OK. I just realized how bad a condition my mental health is in. Time to start drinking!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-04, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Spewing purple vomit while fire-walking?
Believe it or not, that isn't stupid/pointless enough. If you could do so while dancing outside your moving car (or trying to kiss a rattlesnake), maybe you'd be onto something.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-24, 18:15

WD My Book storage being wiped for unknown reason.
Quote:
Western Digital, maker of the popular My Disk external hard drives, is recommending customers unplug My Disk Live devices from the Internet until further notice while company engineers investigate unexplained compromises that have completely wiped data from devices around the world.
Of course, these are "unsupported" devices at this point but still. I'd be REALLY pissed if I lost 2TB of my files.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-24, 20:49

Wow that would suck, and I bet for some people that was either a primary backup, or cloud photo storage.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-05, 11:26

It appears that Audacity is jumping onto the spyware platform.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-05, 14:11

That’s too bad, used that app for years to do audio recordings to go over video, or conversions.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-05, 14:23

Yeah, how many of these apps and services are getting scooped up by bigger players whose only purpose is to collect and sell data on their users?

I remember wanting to get a Nest thermostat, and then they got bought by Google and I was like, "NOPE!"

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-14, 15:59

iOS Zero-day installing cross-site malicious packages. [ARS]
Quote:
Attacks targeting CVE-2021-1879, as the zero-day is tracked, redirected users to domains that installed malicious payloads on fully updated iPhones. The attacks coincided with a campaign by the same hackers who delivered malware to Windows users, the researchers said.
If the targeted device was an iPhone or iPad, a server used an exploit for CVE-2021-1879, which allowed hackers to deliver a universal cross-site scripting attack. Apple patched the zero-day in late March.
Can't even trust iOS. Good thing I'm hesitant to click random crap.