User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 144 of 221 First Previous 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 16:43

Seems there have been a ton of stories in recent months about people just losing their minds/misbehaving on planes. I know everyone's all cooped-up and fed-up with everything, but you still have to know how to act in public. COVID can't be the blame/cause for EVERYTHING. This makes at least the eighth story of this kind I've heard since late May.

Flight attendants tackled/restrained a guy last month, another guy punched a flight attendant, I've read 2-3 stories about fights between passengers, two guys - both originating out of LAX (one to Nashville, the other to Atlanta) - tried to storm the cabin and had to be subdued/tied up and the flight diverted so they could land and have the chump carted off.

People, chill out. How hard is it to sit there, read a magazine/book, surf on your iDevice, listen to music or podcasts, do a crossword or sudoku and STFU for a few hours? I do it every single time I fly, so it can't be that hard.

I've taken flights over the years and it'll be a 9:40am out of Nashville or whatever and there will always be a couple of bro-dudes ordering drinks, as though that makes them look like rock stars or something. I hope their livers fall out. Drinking at that hour...there's a word for it. And I've had the mid-level-manager type crowing in my ear about his numbers, position, favorite golf courses, etc. (but apparently not doing well enough that he can be up in first class and leave me the hell alone) after he gets a few of those little mini bottles in him.

I've never seen anything violent/physical, but I've been on a few flights where morons who don't know how to drink caused a ruckus and got everyone around them riled up and exchanging words. Fortunately I've never had to leave my seat, but I won't lie...the idea of punching some drunken, deserving asshole in the mouth in front of about 120 people without getting arrested (and possibly being applauded) is very appealing to me. Maybe someday!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-03, 17:18

People act out against that which they fear.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 17:26

Flying?

Or acting like a sane human being?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-03, 17:51

COVID
Masks
Vaccines or not
Flying
Government intrusion
Frogs
Bruce

All the things.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-03, 18:37

The headlines should read "Florida Man..." I mean, he was head to Miami.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-03, 19:12

Yeah, mental health is a serious thing right now.

Pre-Covid stuff like this was funny, but lots of people right now are isolated and broke. That is a really bad combination to be inflicting across the planet.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-03, 19:19

Agreed, so many mental health issues that people have been able to somewhat handle are now off the rails. I expect it to get worse until we as a society take mental health more seriously.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 21:23

Quick update on the grizzly bear idiot from upthread.

Quote:
Bob Murray, the U.S. attorney for the district of Wyoming, announced on Monday that charges have been filed against 25-year-old Samantha R. Dehring of Carol Stream, Illinois.

Dehring is ordered to appear before a magistrate judge in Mammoth Hot Spring, Wyoming, on Aug. 26 to answer to charges of willfully remaining, approaching and photographing wildlife within 100 yards. She is also charged with one count of feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intentionally disturbing wildlife.

If convicted, she could be sentenced to up to a year in prison and ordered to pay a $10,000 fine, Murray said in a statement.

All for a picture of some bears. Hope you got some good ones, hammerhead.

She's lucky to be walking around, period, so $10K and a year in the clink would be a fair trade-off, IMO. It would give her 12 months to figure out how to not be a dumb-ass. Maybe she can watch a few bear documentaries.

PS - I still think they need to question her s.o. or whoever she was with in the car that day.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-04, 10:38

Meanwhile, in Canada...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-04, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
She's lucky to be walking around, period, so $10K and a year in the clink would be a fair trade-off, IMO. It would give her 12 months to figure out how to not be a dumb-ass. Maybe she can watch a few bear documentaries.

PS - I still think they need to question her s.o. or whoever she was with in the car that day.
As far as jail is concerned, I hope she gets off fairly light. I think she's a buffoon, and if the bear had eaten her I'm not sure I would shed any tears. But, pay the actual cost to move the bear (not some inflated government cost—and the judge should demand receipts) and 100 hours of clean-up-a-trash-hole community service should suffice. A year in jail is an awful lot for this.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-04, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yeah, mental health is a serious thing right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Agreed, so many mental health issues that people have been able to somewhat handle are now off the rails. I expect it to get worse until we as a society take mental health more seriously.
Mental health is too complex an issue for our society to handle as it stands right now. Too many jack-wad "press" (aka, social media "experts") are pushing the mental health issues as if they are somehow "progressive" and "good". Human beings have to exercise self control or we run off the rails and the resulting train wreck is too expansive (and expensive) to clean up. Unrestrained self-expression is dangerous! That the YouTubers and other social media enablers get to push it as "normal" is bad news for all of us, and the longer we let it roll on down the tracks, the harder it will be to switch to a safe line without disastrous consequences.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 11:19

Quote:
I’d like to know more details. Were these long-feuding neighbors and the pissing a deliberate, malicious act? Or was this someone out on a walk with a legit bladder issue and he tried to discreetly relieve himself behind a tree or some bushes and the homeowner saw him and lost his mind?

Because there is a difference. Both are lousy/not ideal, but the former is purposely being a pot-stirrer while the latter is slightly forgivable (“I understand it was an emergency, but please don’t do it again”).

For the guy to get so mad that he ran the pisser over, that makes me think it’s the former. Two guys with a long-standing beef going back and forth and this was simply the latest exchange and it went horribly sideways.

I’d love to know the background.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-04, 11:22

Quote:
Hmm … I think running him over is a reasonable response.

If I see someone taking a leak in my yard, two things are gonna happen: 1) Cops are getting called and charges filed; 2) I'm going out there with my tree loppers!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 11:59

Eh, you gotta allow for context/situations. That's why I was curious about the details/background above.

Some old man whose medication messes with his bladder control, I'm going to throw him a pass (assuming he was discreet and low-key, he apologizes and we understand that it's not to become a habit).

But some bro-dude or some moron neighbor who's been a thorn in my side for ages, out there and openly/proudly pissing all over my yard in full view of everyone (kids, spouse, neighbors, etc.), then yeah...depending on my mood, that's either a call to the cops or an old-fashioned ass-beating (loppers optional).

I'd hope the former, just so I can avoid any time in court and the GreyBar Hotel.

I realize I'm lucky in that I don't have any jerks for neighbors. I've got a sweet, funny older lady across the street, a retired pool/concrete guy beside me who keeps to himself but is super nice and a Mexican family on the other side, behind, who I've gotten to know over the years. But I hear the horror stories of nightmare neighbors and years-long feuding/oneupsmanship and escalation. I've never had to deal with that sort of thing, knock on wood. That fireworks bunch across the side road, they're only an issue 2-3 times a year, so they're not even a true hassle/nuisance (as long as they knock off the noise by 11-midnight). They're not out there 5-6 nights a week until 2am.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 14:12

A cobra may be on the loose in Texas.

Stories like this creep me out. I have a severe snake-o-phobia (I'm sure there's a more scientific name), so I'd just have to pack a suitcase and leave town until it was caught.

On a serious note, I'd be livid if a dipshit neighbor was keeping venomous, illegal animals like this in their home anywhere near me.

There was a guy here locally who got in trouble a few years back when one of his copperheads bit, and killed, his friend. PS - I live in East Ridge

I just don't think a residential house - near OTHER houses - is the place for these things. A zoo, a lab, etc., fine. Just not some schmo's house in the suburbs. I'd hate to know I lived next door to someone with a room full of rattlesnakes, cobras, mambas, puff adders and the like. I'd never sleep.

So this guy in Texas had a cobra, it got loose. Now it'll mate with a Western Diamondback and Syfy will have to make a movie about it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-05, 14:16

Well, if it's not a pregnant female it will be a short-lived problem—cobras mate with other cobras.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-05, 17:53

First, this is beyond awful.

Second, I can understand the desire to employ "this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl" jokes.

Brothers killed by train were mourning a 3rd brother who was struck at same spot last week.

!!!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-05, 18:23

I mean …

Uhm …

Well …

Hmm …

I got nothing.

Later …

Oh, wait, I got something. So, since my sister died going over this waterfall, we should have the memorial right at the edge of the waterfall. What could go wrong?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-05, 18:37

Yeah. I cannot wrap my mind around the logic of what these brothers were thinking. I hate to say it, but how can you be that dumb?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 19:31

All three brothers killed in the span of one week, from the same cause?

This is kinda like a twisted, dumber version of Saving Private Ryan. Wasn't that the basic gist of that movie? Matt Damon's three other brothers were all killed in action and they were sent to find him and send him home so his mom wouldn't lose all her sons?

I've always wondered how people get hit by trains. It's pretty easy to stay off train tracks. I've never been walking/driving along, see some tracks and think "I need to be on those, right now!"

When I was 4-8 we lived in a neighborhood and our house was on a dead end and through about 50 yards of weeds/brush were train tracks. I was told, under penalty of death , to never cross that field and play on those tracks. I did one time and got a spanking that I still feel to this day (but guess what...I never ventured up there again).

But if you make that choice to walk/play on them, how do you not see/hear a train coming your way? Does it have to do with physics and sound travel? If you're standing in front of its path, you're just not hearing the engine or the whistle/horn?

How can that be? Loud is loud, isn't it?

Just seems like it should take some effort to get hit by a train. I've never even come close in 52 years.

That's awful. Their poor parents.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-06, 04:44

Very sad to hear.

Grief can be an impossible thing to get over at times, and definitely impacts your awareness of what's going on around you.
Add serious impairment and you have a recipe for disaster, wherever you are.

And this is looking at it just from an accident point-of-view. Grief has been known to cause people to do terrible things to themselves at times.

We run the GriefShare support program locally for people dealing with loss.
Never taken it myself, but there are always signups. 😔
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-06, 10:58

Quite often, the train tracks follow the shortest distance between two points. So, if you're on foot, they may be the fastest way to get somewhere—and an easy way to die.

Also, trains are loud while they're running by you. I had an acquaintance many years ago who lost a friend on the tracks. The way the story goes, the friend was walking on parallel tracks. As a train approached in front of him, he skipped over to the other track and kept on walking as the train roared by. BUT! As the train roared by, it was blaring its horn full blast in a continuous blast. Suddenly, the guy was run over by a train that came up behind him that he never heard because the train passing him was too loud. Later, the engineer of the passing train told investigators that he was on his horn trying to warn the walking man of the train approaching behind him. Alas, dude died.

Moral of the story: Stay off the tracks!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-06, 13:03

Well, yeah. That's kinda my point. These brothers could've had their observation from 20-25 feet away, safely. No reason they had to "honor" him in the exact spot - a train track - where he was killed. That's just kinda asking for lightning to strike again, isn't it?

"My friend was killed by a grizzly in this cave yesterday. Let's go there, walk inside about 30 feet with a meat-lover's pizza and light a candle in his honor."

Stay off the damn tracks, people. Doing so dramatically decreases your odds of getting hit by a train, according to studies on the matter.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-06, 21:38

Yup, as kids (we are talking kindergarten) they hammered into us the saying, “Any time is train time.” Some of us got it, others not so much.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-12, 15:50

Yeah, and they'll still screw the order up, guaranteed.

But, hey...they'll look super cool and modern doing it!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-12, 16:27

I quit eating there when the meat started tasting like aluminum. Every Va Beach Taco Bell was like that so I assumed it is just the way the process the beef now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-12, 16:38

I've liked some of their things over the years, but now that a Del Taco has opened the same distance, just the opposite direction, from where I live, I go there now. Way tastier, filling and even better prices. And great guac-based stuff (burritos), and they have fish tacos and burritos, which Taco Bell doesn't. Taco Bell doesn't hold a candle, IMO.

I'm happy this one opened so close to me.

I used to eat at Del Taco when I lived in California, but I haven't thought about them in 17-18 years, until I saw this new one going up just over the Georgia line back in winter. Been going there since they opened (literally the second day they had their doors open, I was over there ordering). Would've gone the first day but I got my dates confused.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-12, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I quit eating there when the meat started tasting like aluminum.
Sounds about right, almost all fast food tastes like crap. Kind of goes with the territory of using grade C or D meat/other ingredients. If I need something fast I grab a Donair these days.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-13, 00:41

What is it with these brothers??

Three Brothers Die After Passing Out From Fumes In Manure Pit

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-13, 04:18

The Private Ryan Effect (or Syndrome), where three brothers, together or separately, all die from the same cause within a short time of each other.(WWII, trains, toxic fumes, etc.).