User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 27 of 42 First Previous 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31  Next Last Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-17, 11:24

PScates. I remember exactly the symptoms you were talking about. The product was an artificial fat substitute called O-LEAN or Olestra or something like that. If I’m not mistaken potato chips may have been one of the first proposed applications, and the headline side-effect of the day, at least the one all the late night hosts were making fun of, was… “Anal leakage”
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-17, 11:50

Yep, it was Olestra.

Matsu, I have read your posts several times now and it simply became more terrifying with each subsequent reading. It seems nearly a miracle that your wife survived. I sense that she's likely to have long-standing issues from this experience and for that I'm especially sorry.

You have complete justification to vilify those who use a pandemic for political gain. Turn your flamethrower up to eleven.

And please keep getting better.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 12:52

That was it...Olestra. Man, I couldn't believe my ears the first time I heard the radio spot. I was driving and nearly ran up on a curb. "What did he just say?!"
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-17, 13:27

The odds were bad: in the time I sat by her side in ICU, I witnessed a half dozen beds "turn over" About half the time the person got well enough get off ECMO and finish recovery on ventilator only, about half the time they simply didn't make it. On one day a man about my age had no further prospect for survival, I didn't get the details, but I gather he likely succumbed to stroke while in coma. It must have happened in the early morning. His body would die as soon as the circuit was disconnected. His mother came in. They shielded off the room. Disconnected him. And she cried. I remember reading to my wife so she wouldn't hear what was going on, if she could hear. It takes about an hour to drive home from that hospital. I cried all the way home... until I knew my kids would be waiting.

The day my wife got off ECMO, one doctor worked harder than anyone else. He was racing. Others came in to wish us well and encourage her to stay strong for a few more weeks on a vent. He was on two different phones, pouring over a screen in the hallway. Must have made 20 calls in the 8 hours it took to transfer us back to a regular ICU. I knew he was turning over our suite, only two percent of ICU beds have ECMOs and he was going to take the next best candidate and put them on it...

The prognosis is we won't really know how much recovery is possible for another 18 months or so, lungs take up to two years to fully recover. If we do everything right and continue to be fortunate, there may be relatively minimal long term complication. The improvement to date is miraculous - as confirmed by a number of doctors, their words. On the positive side, her family has quite good longevity on both sides - all her grandparents, save a war victim, reached advanced age in relative strength/vitality - and she had no underlying health issues so the other organs made it through relatively unscathed, though the circuit challenged both the kidneys and heart to the extent that they depended on their own life support systems before function returned to normal. She is free of all external life supports save supplemental oxygen and has been "training" daily - periods of zero external O2 support.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-17, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
The problem is they can't draw a direct line of causation, so have to report them as side-effects. ie: people with kidney issues took this drug and later experienced kidney failure. Was it the drug, or the original kidney problem that caused it? Can't prove it either way...
Definitely. That’s the trouble with it. In my case I’m talking about use of a common over the counter extra strength pain killer drug. Now the issue only comes into play if you take more than the daily recommend does (6 in 24 hours). Thankfully the pain has not got past what that covers very often. I went to the hospital to get morphine once last year. Thankfully I haven’t needed it again.

As for COVID it’s so fast for some people. One of the first 50-100 people to die in BC was someone my Dad and I know. Not well, but we were in a club with him. My dad had seen him just two weeks before he died.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 15:22

The rates - cases, hospitalizations, deaths, etc. - are all going up in Hamilton County (Chattanooga) and the surrounding areas, including the northern border Georgia, considered part of the Chattanooga metro area.

It's horrible. When you look on a graph, everything's pointing in the wrong direction (up).

I really thought we were going to get past all this, but I should've known better 2-3 months ago.

We didn't ease back into anything. There was no "grace period" where things slowly opened and returned to normal. Someone just threw a switch and one day everything was closed and, the next, everything - theaters, concerts, bars, gatherings, ballgames, etc. - were a go.

What did people honestly think was going to happen, taking that approach (and with all the Alex Jones meat-beaters acting the role at the same time). No wonder it's exploded here again, now could it not? A perfect storm of idiocy, irresponsibility and dontgiveafuckitis swept over the region. Chattanooga made national news a few weeks ago because of it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-17, 18:49

Tomorrow is the 17th annual running of my pirate-themed pub crawl.

Last year we were entirely virtual and produced 8 hours worth of material.

This year I have split the baby in half: live-in-person, and virtual.

There are a fair amount of mask-hating, vaccine-avoiding people who joined a local pirate club (yes, god, they exist) and I have realized that since the bars are open and accepting business and much of the event takes place outside, there's no reason not to let them go do it.

I will be at home, missing my own pub crawl.

It will be weird, but I will be okay.

In giving them a live version I seem to have thawed the chill between myself and some of the people who are anti-mask, anti-vaccine. We can talk again, and that allows me to work quietly to attempt to push them toward getting vaccinated.

It has been a tough decision, because people could literally DIE because they attend this thing.

I have warned them, but laid the decision to attend at their feet.

If they die they will die as foolish friends, instead of dumb former-friends.

And I will cry at their blindness.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-17, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I read that the FDA has some pretty stringent naming requirements. This means they end up having to be REALLY creative with their names.
I understand that they went with Comirnaty because they want mRNA in the name.

The funny thing is that I believe that the Comirna vaccine would have worked and sounds much better.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-18, 18:53

Okay, YMMV, but I think this has the potential to make things much, much worse.

If the vaccines are contentious, can you imagine the distrust this would create within the food chain?

As John Stewart said, science is great, but no one ever tells those guys when to stop.

As we discussed earlier in the thread, I fully support the creation of a Covid vaccine in pill form, and I think it will take the vaccinated numbers well over 90%.

But seeding vegetables with it is going to make Europe's anxiety over GMO-foods look like peanuts.
They're going to have to create a whole new category of 'organic' foods.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-18, 20:03

While a nice idea, I can see some issues. What happens if someone eats too much and exceeds the recommended dose? What if they don't eat enough? What happens to other creatures that love to nibble on those plants? I have a hard time believing big pharma will allow themselves to loose control of production and distribution. Way to many legal issues could arise.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-09-18, 23:27

Matsu - only catching up today on this thread, but so glad your wife has come through this and is on the mend.

In Melbourne, we’ve been in lockdown for over 230 days… and there were protests yesterday that made news. It’s scary what comes out and how selfish and wilfully careless some people are.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-19, 16:16

I've kinda wondered about this.

I think a lot of this stuff is arbitrary, or guessing. But it kinda has to be on something like this, huh? Just erring on the side of caution and what sounds good, with what is known. As time rolls on, we'll hear more about this sort of thing, and, as more concrete stuff is learned, some protocols/approaches might be looked at in a different light.

That's just how stuff goes, anything. But I've always been amused by the whole "five feet isn't enough, but six is" thing. "What about 5-feet, 10-and-a-half inches?"

Cut me some slack...I'm looking for amusement/chuckles today a bit more than usual.

Me, two weeks ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The older lady across the street from me, in her 80's (sweet, funny as can be), went into the hospital with COVID on Monday afternoon. I saw her family over there, never an ambulance. I guess they took her. A friend is friends with her daughter so I'm hearing updates through her. She's been admitted, etc.

Not sure what the prognosis/outcome will be. While she's in her 80's, she's quite healthy/spry/active and sharp as a tack. If I didn't know better, just personality-wise, appearance, physicality/activity, her mind, etc. I'd honestly think she's about 62-65. 68-70, absolute TOPS...certainly not 80-something! She's not frail or couch/bed-ridden (or already sick with a bunch of other things), so I hope it goes well for her. I've known her for years and years and I've always liked her.
Barbara died this morning. Broke my heart. I keep thinking about how, when she left her house Monday before last, she never returned. That was the last time she saw her house, kitties, kitchen being remodeled/repaired, her yard/garden, the neighborhood, etc.

That thought, for some reason, has just drilled a slow hole through me throughout the day...

Pouring rain all day, and just grey and gloomy, so it's just been a lousy Sunday all around. Maybe I was being naive that she'd pull through and be home at some point in the coming weeks and we'd all go out for Taco Tuesday come late-October or so, like we all used to. If/when the rest of us do, there will be an empty chair where she used to sit and eat her enchilada or fajita. That's gonna sting, that first time we all do that and we're one person short from the usual gang.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-19, 16:31

That really sucks man. Sorry for the news. While she wasn't your family, really she was.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-19, 16:50

Yeah, just a sweet person who was never anything but kind to me. Years ago she learned that I loved banana bread. Two days later I get a knock on the door and she's standing there with a plate covered in Saran Wrap with what turned out to be the most perfect, delicious banana nut bread I've ever had. Completely from scratch. She gave me her recipe. Might be a nice week to bake a loaf.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-09-19, 17:52

Paul, so sorry to read this.

As Tony said, even though she wasn’t family, she really was. Take care.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-09-19, 19:46

Please bake a loaf in her honor. And I hope her kitties are well cared for.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-19, 20:02

A good neighour is like having a pot of gold in the bank, sweet to have and deeply missed when gone.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-20, 17:08

Oh my friend my heart goes out to you and her family and to her memory.

I have just discovered a website that collects stories of people who have passed from Covid because they did not get vaccinated and it has made me so sad.

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

Dr. Bobsky

2021-09-20, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
While a nice idea, I can see some issues. What happens if someone eats too much and exceeds the recommended dose? What if they don't eat enough? What happens to other creatures that love to nibble on those plants? I have a hard time believing big pharma will allow themselves to loose control of production and distribution. Way to many legal issues could arise.
meh. i am not sure these are the right questions when we don't even know if you can eat mrna and get an immune response. think about it for two seconds: you eat plants all the time, they naturally have a load of mrna, are *you* producing plant proteins in your cells?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-20, 19:11

I got to work from the office for the first time today since March 2020. Just temporary while there's construction at my place.

Surreal to be back in that setting.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-20, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Oh my friend my heart goes out to you and her family and to her memory.

I have just discovered a website that collects stories of people who have passed from Covid because they did not get vaccinated and it has made me so sad.

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

This list, unsurprisingly, skews very white and very male.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-20, 21:15

PScates. I’m sorry to hear about your neighbour.

That sorry anti-vaxxer site seems in bad taste.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-20, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
meh. i am not sure these are the right questions when we don't even know if you can eat mrna and get an immune response. think about it for two seconds: you eat plants all the time, they naturally have a load of mrna, are *you* producing plant proteins in your cells?
You mean it's not normal to have a tomato grow out of your ear after eating one. I kind of decided to steer away from the obvious issues with it, and was approaching it more from a theoretical mindset. I mean there couldn't possibly be a reason the vaccines are injected into your muscles rather than a blood vessel. That's kind of the problem with the eat it solutions for vaccines.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-20, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
That sorry anti-vaxxer site seems in bad taste.
I agree that it's kind of morbid and seems a quiet mockery of folks who have passed from Covid.

The stories I've read on there are fascinating and devastating though.

Putting a face on the people who dared and lost, makes it seem even more tragic somehow.

The links to GoFundMe campaigns in some of the write-ups drop you into the lives of the people left behind.

So yeah, it might be a bit ghoulish?

But it's hard to look away.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-22, 14:25

Are we still pretending that it's just a coincidence that this virus came out of a city that houses a coronavirus lab?

When DARPA is saying, "Hey, this research proposal is off-limits because it's way too dangerous" maybe it was time to take a step back.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-22, 16:02

Implying some nefarious intent by the Chinese changes nothing. Was it nature that caused this? Was it incompetence? Hubris? Who can say?

We still need all the same safety measures recommended by most medical officers of health, including masking, distancing, testing, contact tracing, and, crucially, vaccination.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-22, 16:04

That particular lab isn't solely about the Chinese.

It appears that the U.S. and others were actively funding and contemplating crazy stuff there that they couldn't get away with at home.

Edit: Here's a link to the Telegraph story that doesn't require a subscription.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-22, 16:24

I realize that, but if there's something there, whatever comes of it, it'll have to be part of a different reckoning. Right now, much of the world is still contending with infection control. It doesn't take much of a slip to make things worse than they have to be. Look at Alberta, and the wake left by Kenney's criminal abrogation of responsibility? You can't simply will this away with the force of denial. It takes discipline and focus.

Dr. Bobsky

2021-09-22, 17:06

So China was right, it was the Americans all along.

And no there's zero evidence the American labs (or Chinese collaborators) did any of the things proposed, and this is clearly an abandonment of the lab leak theory. The grant proposal was in line with the demands of the Darpa call. The proposal was about vaccinating bats without exposing them to viruses (the telegraph reporting, haha, is wrong). etc.

I wish certain folks would take a step back and ask, why is this incredibly important news only being covered by an unread right-wing broadsheet?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-23, 08:02

I don’t know why it’s so important for people to add layers of noise to the pandemic. Well, no, that’s not right, I know why: profiteering. Most of them are selling something - ads, clicks, or themselves and their politics - to an audience already predisposed to certain messages. The psychological markers of those predispositions are interesting and something I want to understand better.