User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 28 of 42 First Previous 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32  Next Last Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-23, 11:25

I completely understand your family's had a rough time with this virus Matsu.

But we can discuss the origins of the pandemic whilst fighting it. One does not need distract from the other.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-09-23, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I completely understand your family's had a rough time with this virus Matsu.

But we can discuss the origins of the pandemic whilst fighting it. One does not need distract from the other.
It absolutely does, because blaming random people for the origin of the virus absolves everyone else from doing anything now to stop it.

Why should I wear a mask when the Chinese created the virus? Why should we have to lock down this city from a manufactured American threat? Plandemic... etc.

None of these discussions about the origins of the virus do anything but inform stupid people to do stupid things.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-23, 12:59

I take my father-in-law as a great example. He loves social media. He's cynical about governments. English is not his first language. He's literate, but self taught, not formally educated. He's smart and hard working and entirely self-made. He grew up sleeping on baled hay in stone buildings without heat and built his family entirely on hard work and discipline. He trusts competency: he likes results he can see. He's opinionated. And, I see him routinely befuddled by social media messages from "experts" who appear superficially competent, but could simply be pundits, or quacks. It's easy for him to get into a headspace of "I know what I know," and dismiss anything that causes dissonance while elevating and sharing information that confirms what he already thinks... No way he was getting vaccinated or stopping his travel patterns until my wife got sick. Then he changed over night. All the pandemic noise only makes it harder to get through to someone like him.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-23, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
It absolutely does, because blaming random people for the origin of the virus absolves everyone else from doing anything now to stop it.
1. They're not random people. It's a government-run bio lab dealing with the exact same kind of viruses in the exact same location the pandemic began.

2. The virus is now worldwide. The responsibility for defeating it no longer lies solely with the country/region where it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Why should I wear a mask when the Chinese created the virus? Why should we have to lock down this city from a manufactured American threat? Plandemic... etc. .
1. Because the virus is worldwide, genius.

2. You seem so intent on blaming America solely, where the CCP holds no responsibility. Even when the lab in question is absolutely a CCP-run facility. Why is that? We in Canada have intimate knowledge of what the CCP was doing to collect viruses around the world even before this pandemic started. In case the link isn't clear enough for you, we are dealing with people who have no problem shipping the ebola virus by regular mail if that's what it takes.

3. Planned or not, whether it escaped from the lab before being altered or after, none of that has anything to do with whether or not it's necessary to wear a mask to protect oneself. I would expect better logic and reasoning from someone in the sciences.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-23, 14:31

I remember loving that Sesame Street segment with the Me and My Llama song.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 15:11

Seems relevant.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-23, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Seems relevant.
It's another satirical joke made up by an ad agency. The trouble is, most people only look at billboards for a few fleeting seconds, and I'm going to guess the vast majority will fail to visit the website.

It's crafted for social media discussion and newspaper columns, but the takeaway message isn't what you want people to remember.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 16:16

Agreed.

I happen to think they got their money's worth of advertising though.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-09-24, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
1. They're not random people. It's a government-run bio lab dealing with the exact same kind of viruses in the exact same location the pandemic began.

2. The virus is now worldwide. The responsibility for defeating it no longer lies solely with the country/region where it started.

1. Because the virus is worldwide, genius.

2. You seem so intent on blaming America solely, where the CCP holds no responsibility. Even when the lab in question is absolutely a CCP-run facility. Why is that? We in Canada have intimate knowledge of what the CCP was doing to collect viruses around the world even before this pandemic started. In case the link isn't clear enough for you, we are dealing with people who have no problem shipping the ebola virus by regular mail if that's what it takes.

3. Planned or not, whether it escaped from the lab before being altered or after, none of that has anything to do with whether or not it's necessary to wear a mask to protect oneself. I would expect better logic and reasoning from someone in the sciences.
WOOOOOOSHHHH!

You are so thick, you cannot identify parodying sarcasm.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-24, 14:53

Apparently the ad I posted above was from an ad agency looking to use fear as their method to push people to vaccinate. At least it will make some think about it. The TV station linked here talks more details about it. Interesting enough is there is no funeral home by the name on the truck, at least not in the Charlotte NC area where the truck apparently was driving.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-24, 22:58

Fear seems to be the driving force on both sides, kind of sad. If only reason and logic were enough.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-25, 04:55

Primal emotions like fear and desire drive humanity. Manipulating those emotions for profit is an ancient practice.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-25, 09:10

On a practical note. We’ve decided to continue rehab on an at home basis - in collaboration with the teaching hospital - and require a smart watch capable of taking a single lead ecg and monitoring SPO2 during the day and overnight where we can share the information with the hospital on a daily basis. A respiratory therapist will be making daily suggestions about setting O2 levels based on the data collected, and team members will make periodic visits for other vitals/blood work as well as physio.

They said an iWatch is sufficient. I see Fitbit also has these features now. Any recommendations. Mostly interested in the medical accuracy of ECG and SPO2 readings.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-25, 12:05

I will say I've compared my Series 6 Watch to a finger tip pulse ox and they match up. I've not compared the ECG to one administered at a hospital because I haven't had one there with the Watch. The overnight readings are nice and the new watchOS seems to know when you're sleeping better so it also monitors respirations now too, even on my S6.

If the general period check isn't frequent enough then they can always be manually triggered. Of course, ECG requires manual intervention because ou have to put your opposite finger on the crown.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-29, 04:04

Looking to get mom scheduled for her booster shot I discovered that there are "third shots" and "booster shots". Deciphering the difference took far longer than it should have.

Discussed it with a person who deals with covid for their company and this was news to them.

We determined that the difference isn't the contents of the dose, but the timing. People who are at greater risk due to compromised immune systems can get a third shot sooner than a booster shot.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-30, 20:40

Just back from urgent care.

Mom's got Covid.

Been boggy since Sunday. Lots of coughing and a wheeze. Got her to call her doctor's office this morning. She is 90 and still expects them to phone in a prescription for antibiotics, which of course they didn't. They told her to go to urgent care.

We stopped by a Walgreen's first, as I had scheduled us for PCR swab tests.

At urgent care they gave her a chest X-ray and swabbed her, because they have the processing equipment there.

Before they could come in to give us the news mom's phone rang. It was a different wing of that healthcare system attempting to set her up with a monoclonal antibody infusion!

So I don't have official word that I have it yet, but since I live with her it's quite likely.

She either got it at Thanksgiving (seems too fast), from her dentist (who adjusted a denture last Monday and was coughing), or from me after a super spreader event I attended on the 20th.

Anyhow, that dreaded day has hit our house.

Edit: I think that her initial resistance to getting a monoclonal antibody infusion is fading. If she's willing I'll be driving her to get it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 21:01

I’m sorry to hear this. Wishing her, and you, the best.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-30, 21:02

Sorry to hear that. Hope she (and you) come out of this okay.

It is great to hear that at least one branch of the health care system is moving with lightning speed. You really don't hear anything about Monoclonal Antibody Treatment in Canada. I have no idea at all whether we are using it in large numbers.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-11-30, 22:05

Sorry to hear that Drew. Hopefully both of you come out of it alright.

My wife and I got our boosters a few weeks ago and I feel a little better, but my 2 year old still can't get vaccinated, so we're still staying away from gatherings and wearing masks when we're indoors in public.

My family on the other hand has basically traded this entire pandemic as a nuisance and have never really stuck to the guidelines. We did let my mother come down to see us last month, but she was fully vaccinated and we told her she could see our daughter once she was. The rest of the family still gets together regularly for big events, even with my sister just having a baby last week. Jsut doesn't make sense to me.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-01, 08:39

Drew, I really do hope she gets through it with a full recovery and no lasting effects. While I personal know people who didn't do well, 99% of those I do know had covid got through it and are fine on the other side. I'll pray for y'all and ask my family to do the same.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-12-01, 10:16

Hi Drew. Antivirals weren't an option for us because too much time had elapsed already; it's good they're on it early. We're praying for you.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-02, 15:21

I'm thankful we could get them in her. Hope it was in time and makes a difference. This afternoon my results came in. Unsurprisingly, I also have Covid. No real symptoms, yet.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-02, 15:24

Damn.

This time of year, everyone getting together and all. Tough to stomp it out. Four really big “gathering” holidays in a two-month stretch…Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Factor in the increase in shopper/store traffic post-Thanksgiving and it’s just dicey all around.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-02, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm thankful we could get them in her. Hope it was in time and makes a difference. This afternoon my results came in. Unsurprisingly, I also have Covid. No real symptoms, yet.

Sorry to hear that, Drew.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-12-02, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Damn.

This time of year, everyone getting together and all. Tough to stomp it out. Four really big “gathering” holidays in a two-month stretch…Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Factor in the increase in shopper/store traffic post-Thanksgiving and it’s just dicey all around.
and the drier weather, seasonal colds which mask symptoms... etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-02, 15:41

It will be interesting to see how Omicron reinfects and if it really does. I'm seeing reports of it does and others that it doesn't. Given I've had covid twice now I'm really curious.

The reports claiming reinfection for Omicron so far are that is it REALLY mild. So you could think you have a cold/sniffles and be none the wiser. I still take my allergy meds daily which suppress most of the symptoms as it is.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-12-03, 19:30

Drew, wishing the best for you and especially your mom.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-12-06, 11:07

Omicron definitely reinfects, this was one of the ways they identified it. Mild symptoms reported thus far are in the young, but they are more severe than the mild symptoms of Delta in the young... So it's still too early...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-06, 12:08

Thanks all. I would say that my symptoms have been so mild as to be undetectable from seasonal adjustment to cooler weather.

Mom's oxygen levels have been better than last week, most likely due to the infusion. She's quite fatigued though, so the majority of her day is in bed or a lounge chair. I hope to get her lungs checked again in the next few days, and to get her retested. She tested positive last Tuesday, but began showing symptoms a few days earlier than that.

It would be cool to know which strain we have, but I don't think they test for that in these tests?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-06, 14:06

Wishing you and your mom a speedy and thorough recovery, Drew! I’m glad to see your symptoms have been mild at least.