User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Okay, who else is happy that autumn is approaching?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Okay, who else is happy that autumn is approaching?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-05, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You’ve edited my post. 🤨
I had to think about what you said, and then go have a look. I must have hit "edit" (which I have for every post) instead of "quote".

I have zero idea what happened, and apologize publicly if I mucked something up. 🤷‍♂️

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-05, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I had to think about what you said, and then go have a look. I must have hit "edit" (which I have for every post) instead of "quote".

I have zero idea what happened, and apologize publicly if I mucked something up. 🤷‍♂️
You didn't. I just thought I caught you sneaking something in.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-05, 11:42

Well, maybe I should.

Something subtle. I could change one letter.

Then you would have something to bitch about!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-05, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Then you would have something to bitch about!
#lifegoals
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-05, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
#lifegoals
Aim high!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 12:38

I left out something that I always enjoy about this time of year (October, specifically): all the cable channels (well, a lot of them) roll out their "30 Days of Fright" and "Halloween Scare-Fest!" movies for the month.

While not a major, big-time horror movie fan, I do tend to kinda set October aside to partake in the genre a bit more than the other 11 months. I always make it a point to watch The Exorcist on Halloween (been doing so for over 15 years now), and then I'll watch some others that I enjoy. But I also try to see some completely new stuff as well, old or new. I'll always come across some new things I've never seen.

Several nights a week throughout October I'll sit here with a bowl of popcorn and take in 1-2 scary movies on AMC, Sundance, Paramount, Syfy or whatever channel is playing some.

Some are awful and I've bailed 30-45 minutes in on a handful, but I've enjoyed far more than I haven't. And I finally got around, this past weekend, to seeing some of those Stephen King movies I've never seen (Christine, Carrie and Pet Sematary) and I enjoyed them all.

Kinda going through the schedule and picking out which channel/movies I might want to be sure to catch. Something about watching scary movies (with Jasper sitting beside me, totally in his element...a black cat in October ) this time of year makes me very happy.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 15:30

I forgot something too: Spring is only 6 months away.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 16:14

Ugh. You'd feel differently if you lived here (and I'd feel differently if I lived there). So happy to see summer go the hell away for a good, long while. It's actually been cool/cloudy here today and just the slightest bit of "oooh, I know what's coming" chill in the air. I love it. Worked part of the day outside and never broke a sweat. Two months ago I'd be dying to death. 🥵☀️
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 16:23

Yeah, I don't know about your humidity stuff. Here, it's dry and rarely over 100 (although we had ourselves a long, hot, dry summer). Don't get me wrong. I love the cool-down to the high 70's/low 80's. But I absolutely hate the cold weather. Mucky, mushy, frosty mess with brown soup puddles and rainy leaves and yuck!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 18:17

Raked the leaves for the first time yesterday and filled two whole city-bags*. 🍂 I actually love raking leaves, and the dirty, wet, slug-filled handfuls to toss at your friends and people named Ken.

*big-ass yard waste bags the city will come 'round and take on Fridays.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Raked the leaves for the first time yesterday and filled two whole city-bags*. 🍂 I actually love raking leaves, and the dirty, wet, slug-filled handfuls to toss at your friends and people named Ken.
Peckerhead!

I actually compost all my leaves. Don't like the raking part, but love the composting part. Makes the garden ver ver happy! Got lots of trees, so get lots of leaves.

¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 19:13

Do you just pile them or have the roller thingy? I've been looking at getting a small roller for my veggie waste and egg shell whatnots, just enough to feed the trees/beds on my city lot and the plants inside.

Growing up, my grandpa would always make me flip the leaf piles for his gardens... so gross. There was every number of creepy and oozy in that shit, but flipped it was.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2021-10-12 at 19:40.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-12, 21:23

I literally just saw a post by one of my Facebook friends explaining why raking leaves is an atrocity to your property's ecosystem. Life is tough once you realize how every step you take is harmful to something, many words you use are disrespectful to someone, some thoughts you have are inconsiderate of somebody. Knowing those things and proceeding to live your life doing the least harm is the best we can do.

And then there's Murbot.
::loud motorcycle on fire::

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-13, 08:25

Man, I feel good about never raking now! I'm helping my local ecosystem apparently! It has nothing to do with me being lazy about it at all.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-13, 08:47

Yup, why throw away free fertilizer? As they break down the leaves release some of the nutrients that were used to create them. Nature knows what it’s doing, don’t mess with it! If you don’t like the look of it, mulch it with your lawn mower or leaf blower and put it back on. Summer, sure remove it if there is fire risk due to extremely dry weather. Don’t rake the leaves in fall, you are just throwing away free new soil.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-13, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Do you just pile them or have the roller thingy? I've been looking at getting a small roller for my veggie waste and egg shell whatnots, just enough to feed the trees/beds on my city lot and the plants inside.

Growing up, my grandpa would always make me flip the leaf piles for his gardens... so gross. There was every number of creepy and oozy in that shit, but flipped it was.
I put them in a "holding pile" for the winter (a space about 8' x 14'. Then, come spring, I begin adding them to my 3-bin compost. Working pile, resting pile, and finished pile. The finished pile gets screened (1/2" screen) and then put into a storage bin or directly into the garden.

The roller things can get really messy, especially with wet ingredients. They're fine for small spaces. Just make sure you add dry ingredients. A well maintained compost "decomposes", it does not "rot". Rotting makes a tremendous stink. Composting smells "earthy".

The likely reason your grandpa's pile was "oozy" and "creepy" is that it was too wet, which causes rot and attracts the wrong kind of critters. A good pile should be like a damp sponge (not a wet sponge). Kitchen waste should be stirred into the pile, not just dumped on top to rot. Lots of leaves, add some grass clippings, and keep the pile moving. Always stir in wet materials, and only stir the top 6" or so. If you have the right moisture level, the deeper stuff will cook and steam and you want that. Once the working pile is full, I rotate it into the resting pile, add some water, and stir it up good. It will heat up and finish the process. Once that is done, I rotate it over to the finished pile. Add no water, but break it up and fluff it good. Then let it sit for a few weeks before screening it.

murbot
Hoonigan

2021-10-14, 21:05

I like fall enough... get to wear jeans and hoodies without sweating to death and all that... but then again, golf seasons ends soon, which sucks, and I know that this kind of shit is coming before long: (last winter at work)

Depressing time of year as it gets closer.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-15, 11:50

Snow can suck a stick!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-15, 12:24

But it’s beautiful!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-15, 12:52

You all do realize you can move farther south where there is less snow if any right? I mean, winter doesn't have to suck.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-15, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
But it’s beautiful!
It is. And I take my kid snow shoeing every year to enjoy it in the mountains where it belongs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You all do realize you can move farther south where there is less snow if any right? I mean, winter doesn't have to suck.
Idaho is an awesome state. I'll stay put, even with winter.

chucker

2021-10-15, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
But who would want all the bad of winter and then not even snow?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-15, 18:43

Southern summers are brutal, no way.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-15, 18:58

Northern Winters ===><=== Southern Summers

Monte Carlo: whistling