User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 152 of 221 First Previous 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-14, 15:35

Not being an NRA type, I wouldn't know.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-14, 15:36

I guess we would just all grab the driver and literally beat him to death. That's what they do in California.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-14, 15:43

"It's a dry year, let's set off fireworks in the desert near homes."

I love fireworks, and this year I told my wife and daughter that not a one of them would be set off on our property. NONE!

Cause burn!

So, these four hoodlums — who are old enough to know better — decided that "It's October. Ain't nothing gonna burn!" and promptly burned down the hills and forced evacuations, including one of my coworkers. Dumbasses!

Fortunately, no one was hurt, and no structures were burned. Considering this has been a drouth year, it's nothing short of a miracle that our bone-dry foothills didn't go *POOF*! Hopefully, these teens and their families will be assessed the actual cost of putting out the fire, likely in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. And too bad we treat them as "teens" and not as adults. I would make them pay every square cent until the debt is paid!

And, as a matter of community service, I would make the little bastards go and assist these folks in whatever way they need. And if they saw fit to laugh, I'd bitch-slap them until their faces were purple.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-14, 16:03

I'm amazed at how much this happens every year, somewhere. People are beyond oblivious. I know for a fact that communities go out of their way to make it known "hey, we're in a drought...no burning of anything and certainly no fireworks!", and yet someone will always ignore that and do it anyway.

And this is what happens.

And I agree on them/their families, to some degree, being on the hook financially. And while they're probably too stupid/useless to assist in actual firefighting efforts, they can fetch water or supplies, or, at the very least, do cleanup work. Some sort of firefighting-related community service is totally reasonable in this case.

Because you're right...they are old enough to know better. 15 and 16? Yeah, that's definitely old enough. If it were a couple of brain-damaged three-year-olds, okay. But that's not the case. They do need to see, first-hand, what their actions caused.

This is not wrist-slapping time.

Those nitwits who started that huge fire in Gatlinburg, TN a few years back...they were tossing lit matches on the ground (hey, what's the worst that could happen?) and 14 people were killed (not to mention all the land and property that burned). Charges against the two twats were dismissed/dropped.

I don't even know how that happens unless there was backroom wheeling-and-dealing and knob-gobbling taking place amongst the two sides (prosecution and defense, along with the judge, the families of the two perps, etc.). Were the perps from the "right families" and some "they're good boys, let's not pursue this too hard" calls were made? Because I sure as shit couldn't go burn down half a mountain (and kill 14 people in the process) and be allowed to walk.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-15, 12:43

I was a kid (pre-teen at the oldest) who once with someone who threw lit matches into the woods/park near my house. I don't know why we did it, maybe it was bad influence or just I was a hellion at that point in my life (I was, didn't know Jesus at that point in my life). Me and another kid who lived on my street went walking through the woods/park flipping matches off of a matchbook. It was great fun, until it wasn't. The wind kicked up and we just couldn't stomp out the fire this time.

Thankfully the response time of the fire department was really fast and home owners that backed up to the woods came out and helped with shovels and rakes. We split by then since it was beyond us.

A few days later the fire marshal knocked on my door and asked my mom (who answered the door) if she recognized and item he was holding. Yeah, I left something at the scene.

I don't know what happened to the other kid. My mom and his parents banned us from seeing each other again. He was the one who threw that match so the bulk of the "charges" fell to him. I got community service of sorts, though mine was voluntary and I didn't end up with criminal charges out of it. It was rough work. My mom was not merciful in the least and made sure the "boss" wasn't nice either. I learned my lesson.

In the end it was just some leaves on the ground burned and contained. I think the county fire department billed the other kid's family for their services since it was arson.

I became a fireman later in life, though it wasn't because of this. Kinda wild how I had to "repay" my debt for my involvement in that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-15, 14:59

In a church, no less.

25-year-old perp arrested, no info on "motives", etc.

Yeah.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-15, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I became a fireman later in life, though it wasn't because of this.]
Funny how things work out.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-15, 16:06

Oh man! I hope that was a practice structure!

(I do believe in redemption; giving people another chance.)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-15, 16:29

Yeah, it was one of the last training burns using existing structures in my fire district. An old farmhouse they wanted demoed. The owner offered it to us to burn. We brought a bail of hay to make it easer to get started. I think the EPA killed that from happening anymore since there are toxins that do get released during training burns like this.

It was great fun fighting that fire though. Over and over we got to put out the fire and light it again... at least until it was beyond saving and wasn't safe to enter again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-15, 17:37

Well, he didn't get thinned from the herd, but I suspect he won't be doing anything quite this stupid again.

Quote:
According to TMZ, Goodwin was suspended 70 feet in the air by his feet while in a straightjacket, with two cars suspended next to him that were swinging back and forth. He was reportedly supposed to free himself, then fall safely onto a mattress below. But TMZ reports the cars smashed together and Goodwin was sandwiched between them, before he fell to the ground.

Oh, the stupid things we do to get attention.

Part of me wants to because … well … it's funny as hell!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-15, 18:01

It’s hilarious. What a doof.

Everybody wants to be Houdini (or Blaine), until they aren’t.

At least he was wearing a mask.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-15, 18:06

We learned of this early today. The crew who witnessed it were terribly shaken, it's an awful and scarring thing to witness.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-15, 18:47

Of course it is. Which is why it just shouldn't be done.

There is no point to this … other than to get squished on TV.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-15, 19:40

Exactly.

He didn't die doing something noble or advancing the species/race. He didn't blow up in space or get crushed thousands of feet down in the ocean.

Like some of the other stories upthread, he died doing something unnecessary or stupid.

I can't spare the sympathy/handwringing for these types. They're entertainment, at best. Sad cautionary tales, beyond that.

If that makes me an asshole, then an asshole I will be.

But this asshole reserves his concern or grief for those who deserve it a bit more, sorry.

I don't have the endless well I once did, and this world, in recent years, seems to be taking it from me faster than I can replenish.

Am I "rationing" my concern and empathy? You bet I am. To those who deserve it...accident and crime victims, those suffering from horrible illnesses, the neglected and abandoned, the abused and bullied, the defenseless, etc.

Not morons who do things nobody is asking for or needs, and wind up dying (or severely injured) in the stupidest fucking ways imaginable.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-16, 09:21

Eeeeeek!!! I’d HAVE to move.

I’d never feel 100% safe. In the yard, at night, etc. Her house is basically buikt on a den site, with babies being born by the dozens in late summer. And with the rocks present, there’s no way they’d ever manage to find/capture all of them…cycle repeats.

No thanks!

This will give me a nightmare tonight.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-10-16, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Eeeeeek!!! I’d HAVE to move.

I’d never feel 100% safe. In the yard, at night, etc. Her house is basically buikt on a den site, with babies being born by the dozens in late summer. And with the rocks present, there’s no way they’d ever manage to find/capture all of them…cycle repeats.

No thanks!

This will give me a nightmare tonight.
this is true horror
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-17, 08:19

Absolutely, especially to this full-tilt snakeophobe.

It would be lousy enough if it were non venomous garter snakes or whatever. But rattlers?! Nope.

If they ever found access in to your warm house - a crack or separation somewhere, etc. - they could slither in by the dozens. You open your closet to get your shoes and…

Nope. Gotta move. I would never sleep. And there’s no way I could walk through the place in the dark (wake up to pee in the middle of the night). I’d constantly be wondering “is this the day they’ve discovered a way in? Will there be 5-6 of them lying or coiled up in the hallway as I walk through barefoot and in my birthday suit?!”

Screw that existence! I’ll take my chances in a cardboard box beneath the freeway overpass or an empty boxcar. The snakes can keep the house.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-19, 11:40

I wish I could find something to say.

I guess this is all I've got: Any person found to have video of this incident who neither tried to help nor called for help should be charged with aiding and abetting!

And then shot!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-19, 12:23

That's the world now. Anytime something weird or bad is happening (accidents, fights, assaults, injuries, confrontations, vandalism, crashes, bullying, trolling, arguments, etc.), people stand around filming it with their phones. Entire websites built up/around it, hosting such videos.

I saw that story yesterday and just shook my head. If you don't want to "get involved", that's your choice...fine, whatever. But you DO NOT get to stand there and film it like the useless, cowardly p.o.s. you are. Do something, ffs...call 911, go find a cop, yell for help/make a scene, etc.

There's no excuse for doing nothing.

I hope anyone filming this is somehow caught and on the hook for something...misdemeanor voluntary pussydom, at the very least.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-19, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I hope anyone filming this is somehow caught and on the hook for something...misdemeanor voluntary pussydom, at the very least.
A much, much greater example must be set, and a very strong message: Anything less than Accessory During the Act is unacceptable. They watched while a woman was raped, and did nothing but show the video to their friends.

Bull.

Shit!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-19, 14:52

There are way too many events like that these days, like a local case a few years ago when a group of teens watched and recorded their ‘friend’ dying from an overdose. Several of them were charged and convicted in the case, one for supplying and pressuring the kid to take the drugs (manslaughter) and others for doing nothing when they realized what was happening.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-19, 15:13

These instances demonstrate a combination of paralyzing fear, a lack of compassion, and self-serving selfie culture look-at-me status.

It's a bad combination. What happened to that woman could have been easily prevented if only two or three people had stood up and demanded the attacker stop. If he refused, pummel him into unconsciousness. Kick and beat and punch and claw and whatever until he's lying on the floor in a pool of his own fluids.

DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN ANYWHERE EVER!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-19, 15:25

Yep. A similar thing happened here in town a couple of years ago. It's almost as though it "doesn't count" unless it's viewed/captured through a 4-5" display, and shown to/seen by others.

I hate this mindset, especially when used in such an awful way.

It's just how things are.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-19, 23:24

Just reading this article on the need to replace a tunnel in Maryland, and it hits all the points that make me question whether our society can truly be described as 'advanced'.

Quote:
The current tunnel, which was built by a bunch of guys with pickaxes and dynamite in the 1870s, took two years to complete. And though it’s outdated now, it has lasted 148 years, so it’s not like they did a terrible job. Somehow, despite all the technological developments that have completely transformed our lives since the 1870s, it now takes six times longer to build its replacement.
And it's going to cost $2.7 billion dollars. To build a two-mile tunnel.
And we have created machinery that can dig and concrete tunnels automatically.

I know engineering is hard, and the new tunnel is waterproof and has emergency exits built-in.
But it seems that like the housing bubble, the cost to build absolutely anything in the public sphere is somehow disconnected from reality.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-19, 23:37

It’ll still cost more than projected and go 6-18 months beyond schedule. Things like this always do.
Anonymous Coward

2021-10-20, 00:28

Here is a more in depth story about the couple selling U.S. Naval nuclear secrets. This gives more details about the couple, rather than the crime.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-20, 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Just reading this article on the need to replace a tunnel in Maryland, and it hits all the points that make me question whether our society can truly be described as 'advanced'.

And it's going to cost $2.7 billion dollars. To build a two-mile tunnel.
And we have created machinery that can dig and concrete tunnels automatically.

I know engineering is hard, and the new tunnel is waterproof and has emergency exits built-in.
But it seems that like the housing bubble, the cost to build absolutely anything in the public sphere is somehow disconnected from reality.
Likely because tunnels made in the 1800’s didn’t require environmental studies, air ventilation systems to prevent exhaust buildup, lighting, anchoring systems to drilled into the hillside all throughout the distance, proper drainage and such to be installed?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-20, 07:18

When you compare like for like, the stuff is not cheaper in the private sphere either.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-20, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
Here is a more in depth story about the couple selling U.S. Naval nuclear secrets. This gives more details about the couple, rather than the crime.
Thanks for sharing this. I was wondering about this couple but wasn't going to stop to look again yet.

So sad and yet I shouldn't be surprised. The details that he attempted to sell to a "friendly" country is really odd. I mean, why not China, Russia or North Korea? If he wanted money they would pay, as Walker proved.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-20, 09:12

Because he’s a patriot!

“Sure, I’m looking to sell my nation’s secrets like the complete shithound I am. But, hey…not to just anyone! What kind of person do you think I am?! I do have standards!”

Uh, wait…one of those sliding-scale morons, I take it?

I like the caption of the courthouse drawing of the wife, only pointing out she has purple hair. As though that’s her most defining, important trait.

“Hitler had a mustache and enjoyed painting.”

“Mark David Chapman built an impressive collection of Beatle albums.”

“Mr. Gacy made amazing balloon animals during his clown act!”

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-20 at 09:23.