Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Mechanical Keyboards 2021 Q4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mechanical Keyboards 2021 Q4
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-15, 10:46

My dunderheaded borking of my laptop's keyboard moved me to perching a shorty wireless Apple keyboard on top of the regular keyboard. My searches for keyboards led to me being served a review of a 3rd party Mac-friendly keyboard.

Now I'm reading about "Gateron" keys - they are referred to by color (brown, blue, and red) and each color has its own properties - from the sound the keys make to the way they respond to touch.

It's pretty cool.

Here is one example by a company called "Keychron" - what are some other brands that are considered to be good for Macs?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-15, 11:01

Okay here's an article with a variety of other brands.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 11:02

All I know is that it’s unfortunate Apple can’t sell one of their keyboards for such a price. Theirs don’t even light up, at $99+.

My friend had a MacAlly keyboard she swore by. I don’t know if they’re still making them. And I know Logitech had a Mac-specific keyboard that a lot of people liked.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-15, 11:04

Okay I don't need you jerks anymore, I found a full size version of the Keychron! But it isn't available yet.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-15, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
All I know is that it’s u fortunate Apple can’t sell one of their keyboards for such a price. Theirs don’t even light up, at $99+.

My friend had a MacAlly keyboard she swore by. I don’t know if they’re still making them. And I know Logitech had a Mac-specific keyboard that a lot of people liked.
Yeah, if Apple made something like this it would sell for $249.

I am also from the generation of buying from those "name brands" but I am now willing to try out stuff from these other companies.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Okay I don't need you jerks anymore, I found a full size version of the Keychron! But it isn't available yet.

Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Yeah, if Apple made something like this it would sell for $249.
Without a doubt.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-15, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
All I know is that it’s u fortunate Apple can’t sell one of their keyboards for such a price. Theirs don’t even light up, at $99+.
I wonder why that is. I mean, in practice, I never really use keyboard illumination (for one, because my hands are on the keys anyway, and two, I don't really ever look at the keys?), but if they think that's a good idea on laptops, they should do it on desktops as well. Yet they've just redesigned their external keyboards with the iMac, and, once again, they don't have a backlight.

Higher-end PowerBooks (yes, really) have been backlit since 2003! How has this feature not trickled down to everything?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 11:13

Been asking/wondering that for ages. I touch type as well (fast as hell, too; I’d make somebody a great secretary/transcription monkey ), but occasionally I do have to look at a function key or one of those rarely-used keys apart from the primary, familiar letters/numbers. Working dim, as I often do, it would be nice to see those lit up. Especially on a standalone, desktop keyboard that is typically farther away from a glowing notebook display (I’d argue that a MacBook needs this feature less than a standalone keyboard, as there’s a big glowing screen already present on a notebook, nicely lighting the keyboard area). The only times I’ve truly wanted/needed glowing keys have been while using an iMac or Mac mini, where the keyboard may be 18-24” or more away from the display and/or on a lower, under-desk/in-shadow keyboard shelf!

Hellloooo, Apple?

Yeah, I would’ve wagered my left something that the new M1 iMacs would’ve sported this feature back in April.

I figured Apple would’ve offered a nice aluminum “lightboard” for years now.

But we got several years of iPod socks, so…

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-15 at 11:23.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-15, 11:33

I've heard nothing but awesome reviews about Das Keyboards though I've not yet ordered one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-15, 11:36

Some serious stuff!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-11-15, 12:29

I've used a Das off and on for years. I love the full button press and the sounds that go along with it.

I haven't used it in a couple of years because my working space has been my living room the last few years and it's just way too loud to subject that to my family. If/when I'm able to get a separate office space again, I'll use it again.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.