User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 161 of 221 First Previous 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 15:00

Funny thing is, this girl may be a wonderful singer. I've read some good things about her while filling in the blanks/learning about her the past few days.

But to think that, despite true talent/ability, this could wind up being the thing she's forever known by.

Kinda funny, but also kinda sad/unfortunate.

I bet, if she could rewind the clock a few days, she'd think twice. I truly do.

Nothing good/helpful has come from this (and, no, you can't count the Twittiots above and their thoughtful analysis). Venues and organizations have already stepped away.

As it turns out, right or wrong, nobody wants to throw in with stage-pissers.

Go figure.

She may find herself out of a gig. If the others in the band see this as a long-standing hindrance/liability to bookings and opportunities, they may figure “chicks who can sing are a dime-a-dozen…let’s find one without the baggage - and who pees before going onstage - and try to make lemonade from this.”

I don’t know.

But, in the world we’re in, even as a solo act she’ll likely thrive. But the band might see her differently now. From all I’ve read, they’re not some tacky “shock” act, where this is all just part of it.

I bet you there have been some discussions, both with and without, her.

“Guys, we can’t be known, years from now, as ‘that pissing chick band’…I’ve got grandparents.”

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-18 at 15:18.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-18, 17:10

Something on the inside of my brain tells me that, no matter her singing talents and intent, what she did on stage was thought out enough to tell me that she is very, very damaged goods. Any reasonable, self-respecting, right-thinking person would have politely excused themselves for a few minutes to urinate in the appropriate container, then returned to the stage. "Sorry, fans, but nature called. When a girl's gotta go …" and everyone (including the twittiots) would have been fine with it. But, nope! She wanted to make a big show for the shock value, and she got it. Her fifteen seconds of fame have come! Her name will become a meme (not the good kind, mind you) and she will forever be known as a "bad" girl. And you know what? I think that's what she wants from life, to be the "bad" girl.

I hope she realizes that a disproportionate number of the world's "bad" girls wind up dead early. OD, suicide, stabbed by the drummer who never quite got over "that one day".

I think her life is about to take a very bad turn, and she has no idea what that means.

Edit: And for those of you discussing the people/animal encounters, I found this.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-11-18 at 19:53.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-19, 04:08

Nah. I’d say memories aren’t that long anymore but that’s not quite it. “Interest” may be closer but not quite it either. People just don’t care, for long. There’s this exaggerated digital impression that the last new thing is the only thing anyone in the virtual/social world cares about, and a certain baseline hum to the whole thing, but it very quickly recedes back to “nobody gives a shit.” In the long term, both for the good and the bad, we’re too lazy and too inundated with retardation to sustain anything more than a sigh. The next moron comes along all to quickly to remember the last. You could even call it apathy, but it’s too efficient and self regulating for the negative connotations of that word: we can’t really be blamed for reserving our faculties for better things.

She could be reminded of her past at some inopportune point in the future, I know, but whether there’s any consequence then depends more on who her friends and enemies are at that point.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-19, 22:04

I'm watching the Diane Sawyer special about those 13 kids who were held prisoner by their parents. It's horrifying and absolutely riveting.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-20, 00:13

Yes, I know we have a Space thread. But I didn't want to sour it with the sarcastic replies that might follow this.

NASA seeks ideas for a nuclear reactor on the moon.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-20, 06:15

You mean like “the anti-nuke hippies will have to travel a bit farther than usual for their protests/chanting sessions”?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-20, 11:27

So we had some floods here. To make a long story short, last weekend the area received 250mm (9.8 inches) of rain, combined with snow melt in the mountains due to a sudden rise in average temperatures. A disaster to say the least. On Monday my commute to work took 1 hour, normally takes 25 minutes, due to flooded or washed out roads. It was really crazy. We didn’t get the worest of it, the was out in the Fraser Valley. I know that North West Washington state was also hit hard in the Nutsack valley, but I haven’t hard much beyond that. For the better part of this week all four major highways, and railways leading to the rest of Canada were out of commission. One is now open to essential travel only.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8378914/b...atus-closures/

https://globalnews.ca/news/8384250/b...nton-soldiers/

https://globalnews.ca/news/8375229/b...onment-canada/
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-20, 11:37

I have been hearing them describe it as an "atmospheric river" and was curious how badly you all would be hit.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-20, 11:44

It’s been hardest for people in areas that are totally cut off. In some places the roads washed out in all directions. The worst damage is expected to take months to repair, and that’s just the highways and railways. The real long term damage is the loss of agriculture. Thousands of animals died, or are being put down.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-21, 09:33

Of course not. I know there are those who has said that, but that isn't right by any means. People can change and reform.

Kyle wasn't a vigilante from what I read, he had poor judgement, but not a vigilante. According to the jury's verdict from the evidence they saw, he acted in self-defense. That isn't a vigilante. That means the three men he shot, were threatening him enough he feared for his life and was justified to use deadly force.

Remember, none of us have all the facts, we only know what we have read from a website or, God forbid, social media. The jury had to weigh all the evidence that we didn't get to see and be educated in the laws that the prosecution alleged guilt.

I think the fact that some had criminal pasts simply made it a case for the jury to believe that they would have acted in a way that would give reasonable fear for Kyle. I'm sure he had no idea of their past when he pulled the trigger, just that he knew it wasn't going to go well for him if he didn't pull the trigger. The details of the attackers' pasts came to light later.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-11-21 at 09:44.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-21, 17:05

On a lighter note, Appleinsider is reporting on a story about a woman who swallowed an AirPod by mistake. She had a high dose painkiller in one hand and AirPods in the other. You can guess what happened from that. 😁
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-21, 17:25

Sounds about right. I figured this would happen a few times. Seems she's not the first.

Yes, I often crawl into bed and toss things into my mouth in the dark, unsure of what they are...especially if they look/feel similar, and one is something meant to be ingested and the other isn't. What could possibly go wrong?!

Just the other night I had a AAA battery in one hand and a pack of Smarties candy in the other...I was hell-bent on eating one of them. Good thing the candy had a plastic wrapper on it so I knew which was which.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-21, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
So we had some floods here.
Understatement of the year. Hope you and yours are safe, and the situation is continuing to improve.
¡Damned!

2021-11-21, 18:27

Quote:
... a voice memo she sent a friend included gurgling sounds recorded in her stomach.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-21, 18:30

Who knew Apple's devices really are medical devices?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-21, 18:30

You laugh, but a team at Apple is probably now looking at whether digesting an AirPod can be used for medical purposes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-21, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Understatement of the year. Hope you and yours are safe, and the situation is continuing to improve.
For us it was not a big issue, and in most urban areas it wasn't anything more than an inconvenience than anything else. I should pull some video from my dash camera and show people what it was like on Monday! It was the more rural areas outside of Vancouver that were, and are suffering as a result of the flooding. On Thursday the government imposed a 30L (6.5 US gallon) per fill limit on fueling for 11 days, due to a lack of supply. I feel sorry for anyone with a big pickup truck. Some stores are short on some types of foods, because just like at the start of COVID people were panic buying. Typical response.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-21, 20:07

What kind of stuff does BC do to harden infrastructure against floods/mudslides, if anything?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-21, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
What kind of stuff does BC do to harden infrastructure against floods/mudslides, if anything?
The highway washouts are almost unavoidable, we are talking about mountain terrain, we simply cannot build retaining walls strong enough for these forces along hundreds of km of highway. Usually one or more of them has mud slides every year, but nothing like this, and never all at once. No entire sections km long getting washed away into rivers. The path of several rivers have completely changed and made deeper paths for themselves. This video from a helicopter pilot gives a good view of what happened. https://youtu.be/lE9lsThbaQk

As for the dikes in the Fraser Valley, it was a combination of the perfect storm (100 year flood levels), and not upgrading the pump system to handle that. The dikes likely could have used an upgrade as well. Would have cost $400m Cdn to do it. They didn’t, now the price will be far beyond it. One pump station was, and is being used to control the water the from the local rivers (Sumas & Fraser), in BC, the the one (Nookask) in Washington State that caused the disaster in Abbotsford. It was the Nookask breaching dikes in Washington State last Sunday that pushed the system over the top. After that it was game over.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-22, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The highway washouts are almost unavoidable, we are talking about mountain terrain, we simply cannot build retaining walls strong enough for these forces along hundreds of km of highway. Usually one or more of them has mud slides every year, but nothing like this, and never all at once. No entire sections km long getting washed away into rivers. The path of several rivers have completely changed and made deeper paths for themselves. This video from a helicopter pilot gives a good view of what happened. https://youtu.be/lE9lsThbaQk

As for the dikes in the Fraser Valley, it was a combination of the perfect storm (100 year flood levels), and not upgrading the pump system to handle that. The dikes likely could have used an upgrade as well. Would have cost $400m Cdn to do it. They didn’t, now the price will be far beyond it. One pump station was, and is being used to control the water the from the local rivers (Sumas & Fraser), in BC, the the one (Nookask) in Washington State that caused the disaster in Abbotsford. It was the Nookask breaching dikes in Washington State last Sunday that pushed the system over the top. After that it was game over.
Thanks for sharing the videos on this. I know little about what it going on but can't imagine being stranded like that. It is great that we can still help them out but I would personally hate feeling stranded even if I didn't have to go anywhere. Those landslides were devastating.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-22, 14:08

For those of you looking for the Rittenhouse debate, it's been moved over here.

Hot political debates will get their own thread such as to avoid total derailment of the "Daily News".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-22, 15:35

Target is not going to open stores on Thursday.

Kinda nice that they are being closed like so many other retailers. As some one who once worked retail for a number of Black Fridays I'm so thrilled these employees will be able to do what they want on Thursday. They might start at 0200 on Friday like I had to, but the turkey comma was a good nap in preps for Friday back then.

Plus, who wants to stand in line when we can order almost everything online now and have it delivered.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-22, 15:50

The whole concept of stores staying open on such holidays (and then the insane 2-3am "Black Friday" nonsense. Especially anymore, when people have proven how they're going to act in public when it comes to getting a piece-of-shit bit of electronics or trendy toys nobody truly needs.

For the first time in ages, I kinda applaud Target on something.

People will still get to act like methed-out cattle at Walmart and other places, I guess.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-22 at 16:31.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-22, 15:58

We close at 3pm on Wednesday and remain closed until 10am on Saturday. It's been that way for ten years, now.

1) We want our staff to get some rest and family time;

2) We can't compete with MegaCorp, anyway, so why bother being open?

3) That's it.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Edit: If I owned Amazon, we would be closed on Thanksgiving. If I owned Fred Meyer, we would be closed on Thanksgiving. If I owned Get Your Last Second Turkey Here, we would still be closed on Thanksgiving.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-11-22 at 16:56.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-22, 16:01

More stupiditiotry!

This jackass needs a noose, and nothing less.

I'm guessing he'll never get out of jail, but that's too expensive. Ropes are cheap.

And, unfortunately, the dead-count is likely to rise.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-22, 16:04

I was just reading about that!
Quote:
Police Chief Dan Thompson said that there was no evidence the bloodshed on Sunday was a terrorist attack or that the suspect, Darrell Brooks Jr., knew anyone in the parade. Brooks acted alone, the chief said.

Brooks had left the scene of the domestic disturbance before officers arrived, and he was not being chased by police at the time of the crash, according to the chief.

Police were drawing up five charges of intentional homicide against Brooks, 39, of Milwaukee, Thompson said.
So you got mad about a domestic situation and decided to run through a parade with your SUV. That will totally make it all better.

Oh, I guess this is how he handles conflict regularly:
Quote:
He has been charged with crimes 16 times since 1999 and had two outstanding cases against him at the time of the parade disaster — including one in which he was accused of deliberately running down a woman with his vehicle.
Quote:
Members of a “Dancing Grannies” club were among those killed, as was a bank employee. The police chief identified the dead as four women ages 52 to 79 and an 81-year-old man.

Mayor Shawn Reilly described the event as a “Norman Rockwell-type of Christmas parade" that “became a nightmare.”
Yeah, he doesn't need to be wasting tax payer money.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-22, 16:25

My gut tells me that he did this on purpose. That he has been accused of running someone down before demonstrates intent, and it should be considered a terrorist act.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-23, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So you got mad about a domestic situation and decided to run through a parade with your SUV. That will totally make it all better.
I’ve heard he was fleeing another incident, but I can’t think of why “driving through the parade” would be part of anyone’s “escape and lay low for a while” plans.

Regardless of why he did it, it’s horrible that it happened.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-23, 08:37

First of all, I'm not angry. I may be the only person who feels this way, but could we please attempt to modify the tenor of this thread from the latest sensational headlines to less blood and gore related topics for a while? Or create a separate news thread called Fear and Loathing? There's enough carnage in any local market to keep our outrage and scorn fueled for decades, and I can get this stuff on television any time I want. It's just that this message board never had this vibe until the last year or two. I am sorry if I have insulted any of y'all.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 09:39

No, because some of it is funny. If you see stuff posted by certain members, including me, just automatically know "this aint' for me" and skip down. God knows I do this with about 5-6 folks here, knowing, after all these years, anything they post simply isn't my cup of tea or has never been of any interest/illumination to me whatsoever. But why do we suddenly have to pretend there aren't twisted, fucked-up and/or silly/stupid people out there, doing twisted, fucked-up and/or silly/stupid things on the daily?

I'm not angry either, but I don't want to live in a world - or hang out somewhere - where I feel like only this, this and that is "allowed/acceptable", lest we chafe the sensibilities of others. We're already too that way, IMO. It's because the senseless and depraved is commonplace/celebrated that more of it keeps happening. Nobody wants to be seen as "judgmental", or calling out shitheadery because that runs up against the Internet's definition of non-bullying tolerance or some horseshit. Nobody here is "mean" or a deliberate 24/7 bastard. But people nearly getting eaten by bears or lions because they're stupid/clueless...that will never not be entertaining for me. People offing themselves because their attention whore/look-at-me-on-social-media tendencies override common sense, I find hilarious. And people committing horrible acts against others, sometimes serves as a reminder that it ain't Sesame Street out there.

Ken is the boss, if he agrees and deems it so, then I'll certainly post in whatever thread is appropriate. I'm not pushback rebel type...I follow the rules, 97.4% of the time. But are we going to require multiple "news" offshoots, based on "tone and tenor", to cater to every set of feelings here? I hope not. I don't see how that's a solution or improvement over much.

Isn't it easier for you to just put me, kscherer, turtle, Frank777 and whoever else you're likely talking about on "ignore"? God knows I asked the dearly departed Fuckwit Emeritus Brave Ulysses to do so a good half-dozen times over the years, but, for whatever reason he wouldn't.

And I don't even hate you, drew. You're like my third favorite person here, in fact.

But I understand.

Tell you what I'll do...I'll meet you halfway for a bit. It's the holidays...for the next 5-6 weeks, I'll - voluntarily, mind you (not because I was told/forced to) - post only uplifting, funny or fuzzy-around-the-edges stuff. That's all I can promise. I can't/won't speak for, or demand anything of, anyone else. Ain't my job.

But I'll just post silly, funny news items for a good bit (but I can't help it if my definition of "silly, funny" doesn't always align with yours; you gotta give me that wiggle room from time to time, because people getting eaten by the wild animals they so foolishly screw with is one of those funnybone ticklers of mine).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-23 at 09:50.