User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 162 of 221 First Previous 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-23, 09:48

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to avoid the growing violence and political strife. It’s a problem that is twisting into everything and dividing and separating everyone and everything. Even basic infrastructure projects have been twisted into this now. We either need to grow up as a society, and realize it’s okay to have different ideas, or fall into anarchy. Sure we can hide from it, because we don’t want to see it or hear about it, but we need to face it, putting it off will not help us.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-23, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Isn't it easier for you to just put me, kscherer, turtle, Frank777 and whoever else you're likely talking about on "ignore"?
I don't think that's what Drew is asking for or wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Unfortunately there seems to be no way to avoid the growing violence and political strife. It’s a problem that is twisting into everything and dividing and separating everyone and everything. Even basic infrastructure projects have been twisted into this now.
I'm not sure violence is growing. Polarization appears to be, and/or perhaps political nihilism. I'm fine with a debate of "how much should the state be investing in infrastructure", but not "should we be investing in infrastructure at all? what even is infrastructure?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 10:02

Nobody here is making the world what it is. At most we simply point it out. To either laugh or eyeroll about it, or to let off steam because nobody here can comprehend the kind of cruelty and evil that some pull off out there. I don't think there's anything bad/wrong with any of that.

I, personally, see stuff all the time that I could share, but I usually just wait for a really good, out-of-nowhere or so twisted/weird that it can't go unnoticed.

Believe me, I could easily post 15-20 "how crazy/twisted/evil is this?!" links a day. Truth is I ignore 99% of them. But here's the thing: I never go seeking them out! It's not like I visit/belong to some sort of FuckdUpNewz.com website where I'm culling these things (sadly, in 2021, you don't have to be ). You'll see if you go back that most things I link to are from Yahoo or other known, mainstream outlets. I don't think I've ever posted a link from any sort of quirky, subversive/underground or questionable site here. I wouldn't. TheSmokingGun is about as "out there" as I get, but that site exists for showcasing the Florida crowd, public masturbators and meth-addled tomfoolery, so it's fair game/legit source. And it's often hilarious.

This stuff is just out there. When I skim the morning/afternoon stuff on a couple of sites (Yahoo, etc.), a solid 3/4 of it seems to fall into WTF-ville, all on its own. And if I see a real doozy, I'll share it here. But usually I just chuckle, roll my eyes or grimace...and move on. There ain't enough bandwidth to share all the funny, strange or infuriating stuff I see on a regular basis.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-23, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm not sure violence is growing. Polarization appears to be, and/or perhaps political nihilism. I'm fine with a debate of "how much should the state be investing in infrastructure", but not "should we be investing in infrastructure at all? what even is infrastructure?"
Violence isn’t really growing I suppose, but we seem to be sitting on the edge, due to the political polarization. It is the nature of the protests we are seeing that have changed I suppose.

What is infrastructure? I used a dictionary to figure that out.

I’ll give an example from a local situation, 6 years ago political party A started a project to replace a old worn out highway tunnel with a bridge. Contracts signed, project well underway. Party A lost the election. Party B decided that they didn’t like the project because they wanted a tunnel, and to hire a different union based companies to do the work. As you can imagine this cost tax payers a lot of money, and restarting a new project and throwing out existing parts of the project even more. If party A wins the next election, they promise to build the bridge again. You can now see the kind of silliness I am talking about.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 10:10

Quote:
I don't think that's what Drew is asking for or wants.
No, but it's the easiest, sure-fire way to provide what he's asking in a way that puts the burden/change on him and not multiple others. If there were finer-level, granular(?) controls where you could just ignore certain people in particular threads ("don't show me any goofy shit Paul posts in the news thread"), that would be kinda neat, but that's asking a lot of software.

It was just a suggestion. I realize it's kinda the nuclear option, depriving him of all my brilliant insights elsewhere but it does work. Impossible for something to bother you if you can't even see/read it.

Even though there are some here I never pay attention/respond to, I choose not to put them on ignore because, on occasion, they've accidentally said something interesting or illuminating. And I'm able to read/not read things as I see fit.

I don't use the ignore feature. Never really have (I may have dabbled in it, years ago, but the target is, finally, no longer here, so...). But I know it's there, should someone just become completely unbearable and/or worthless (and impacting my participation/enjoyment here in any real, tangible way). And they, or anyone else, would ever know.

As it stands, I think everyone here is pretty cool and I have no ongoing, daily mood-wrecking beefs or running gun battles with anybody. But I also know what threads/discussions are a good fit for me (and vice versa) and I just sidestep the ones - court verdicts, coding, Minecraft, camera/photography, etc. - where I have no interest or insight. Or where I know my opinion has the impact of a fart in a wind tunnel. I frequently employ the Why Bother?™ test. On weighty political/cultural matters, the answer is almost always "ehh...don't".

I don't go drunkenly stumbling into biker bars at 2:30am either, expecting anything good or positive to come from it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-23 at 10:30.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-23, 10:13

Quote:
depriving him of all my brilliant insights elsewhere
So, you see the problem!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-23, 10:33

I just want to say that I bear no ill will to anyone here, far from it. I may from time to time be terse about an idea, but, I wouldn't come back for the mental reprieve this little corner of the web provides if I wasn't for the way you all think about things. Even if I disagree, I value the thought processes behind all your screen names. And, now I will stop being dopey.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 10:36

Quote:
So, you see the problem!
Of course. Yeah, it's not ideal.

He may have to do what I do, and just skip over things, and/or scroll down a little further (or is it farther? Does someone want to explain this to me, once and for all? ), from time to time. I do it here, nearly every day, on some thread/topic or another. No biggie.

I just don't know if we need multiple "news" threads here, based on tone or topic. But that's just my opinion. And of course I'll go with whatever everyone decides and is put into place. Regular News, Weird News, Funny News, Crime News, Can You Believe This Fucking Ridiculous Shit?!? News, Entertainment News, Political News, Darwin Candidate News, COVID News, etc.

Might get a little messy, but we've all heard the eggs/omelet saying.

I'm not the one who has to set it up/maintain/moderate any of it, so my take on it counts for pretty much nothing. I'm just thinking Ken may prefer to keep an eye on just one thread than 2-3 additional ones of essentially the same content (stories in the news). There will always be some crossover anyway. That's what most news stories are...at least 2-3 of the above.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-23 at 10:53.
¡Damned!

2021-11-23, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I just want to say that I bear no ill will to anyone here, far from it. I may from time to time be terse about an idea, but, I wouldn't come back for the mental reprieve this little corner of the web provides if I wasn't for the way you all think about things. Even if I disagree, I value the thought processes behind all your screen names.
^ ^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
And, now I will stop being dopey.
No promises.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 11:01

**Entertainment News**

Dolly Parton shares her morning routine, including the breakfast she cooks her husband

According to the story, she wakes up a 3am.

I know she's a go-getter and a bit of a firecracker, but damn!

I'll be honest...I would love to see her in her natural form (no wig, makeup, jewelry, etc.), which is how she must look at 3am. I think she'd still be attractive, in a more understated, "hey, that woman over there in the produce section kinda looks like Dolly Parton, just off the clock" . But I don't think she'll ever let the world see her the way her husband does. And maybe that's how it should be, I don't know. I don't even know what she looks like when not in full-on "Dolly" mode. That's all I've ever seen her. Is she a short-haired brunette? Or is her real hair just kinda thin/wispy, all silver? I might not even recognize her if she was standing right beside me.

I get up in the 5:30-6:30 timeframe and always wish I had another 60-90 minutes. I think the only time I've ever deliberately set an alarm to get up at 3am is when I've had an early plane flight to somewhere and I have to be in Atlanta or Nashville by 7-8am.

The only other time this 52-year-old wakes up at 3am is to go pee (and I can't complain because at least I'm waking up to go do so in the proper place, as opposed to staying in bed and letting it happen).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-23 at 11:25.
chucker

2021-11-23, 11:04

Quote:
I just don't know if we need multiple "news" threads here, based on tone or topic.
The board I used to run had a distinction between political news and other news, and… well… in practice, it didn't help much. (Catpella might have a thing or two to say about that.)
¡Damned!

2021-11-23, 11:09

Oof no. Political Outsider over AI was toxic.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-23, 11:13

Some friends worked with Dolly; said she has tattoos and keeps them covered up. Imagine how that might change her perception in the public!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 11:21

Quote:
The board I used to run had a distinction between political news and other news, and… well… in practice, it didn't help much. (Catpella might have a thing or two to say about that.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Oof no. Political Outsider over AI was toxic.
Exactly. That's kinda what I was thinking back to. They tried that several ways as well (moderated and not). It was pretty off-the-wall/unhinged, both. The unmoderated one turned into a Dodge City saloon fight/street duel immediately

Uh, no thanks.

News is news.

Maybe the person posting a news item could "tag" it somehow at the top, with one of the categories I was monkeying with above? Regular, Silly, Funny, Darwin, WTF?!, Political, Crime, etc.? Put that first, before the link, and then everyone knows what they're in for before clicking the link or reading any included commentary below?

That could be a workable middle-ground?

Those two things should be enough to tell anyone what they're in for if they click.

Maybe that addresses a lot of drew's concerns? He'd see:

Quote:
**Crime/WTF?!**

Cleveland Man Breaks into Home, Terrorizes Family of Three <--link
With any commentary from the poster starting below these two things? That's ample notice as to what's what, and enough to make a decision about

I'll start doing it on any news articles I post here. In fact, I'm going to go back up and do it with the Dolly Parton story.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Some friends worked with Dolly; said she has tattoos and keeps them covered up. Imagine how that might change her perception in the public!

I did not know that. Wow, I wonder what they are?

I'd kinda like to see.

Via some Googling:

Quote:
“I have a few little tattoos here and there,” she told the magazine, before sharing the reasoning behind the designs. “Most of my tattoos came because I'm very fair and I have a tendency to scar when I get any kind of cut,” she added.
I can see back in the 60's (on the Porter show) and 70's and even 80's. But tattoos are so commonplace/accepted now. I bet she wouldn't suffer any setback or harm if she were to show them. She might even gain some new fans or people thinking she's "cool" or whatever.

Spoiler alert: she's been "cool" for a damn long time, folks.

PS - No, I'm not Google imaging "Dolly Parton tattoo pics"...why do you ask?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-23 at 11:44.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-23, 11:57

I'm thrilled I never got into AI. Political Outsider was no place I would ever want to go. I appreciate the different views here from my own, but still don't understand them. Much like many of you might not understand my views.

When we keep it civil we all get better as people. We just all need to be sure we are responding to each other's posts with legit counterpoints and logic as opposed to volatility and venomous character degradation for an opposing view. I REALLY do try to oppose with consideration and tact. I'm not going to agree politically with most here, but I still love my Macs.

Friends?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-11-23, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Friends?
You seem cool.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 12:17

In terms of Internet shitheadery and boneheadification, this place is kindergarten.

On our worst day, we're still light years away from the YouTube and Yahoo comment sections.

And any diehard adherents to/practitioners of atomic-level dickwittery and the clown-ass arts eventually get shown the door, after generous/numerous "second chances"/warnings. I can't feel bad for anyone too stupid or socially retarded to figure out how to not get banned from an Internet forum, especially one as loose and free-wheeling as this one. It actually requires some deliberate effort.

That's all you can hope for. Keep the riff-raff (and Toledo crowd) out and the rest kinda manages itself. Nobody here is an infant. We all have our moments (and views, beliefs and opinions), but it's not a den of unrepentant jackals and shit-stirrers. I wouldn't be here if it were. I don't hang with that type in real life, sure not going to do so online.
chucker

2021-11-23, 12:23

Quote:
On our worst day, we're still light years away from the YouTube and Yahoo comment sections.
Yahoo? Paul, you're really old.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 12:43

It's all I know.

They actually completely removed their comment section about 18 months ago, and are slowly bringing it back. And it's as awful/unhinged as it ever was before. Not sure what they were expecting, or trying to prove, but it's every bit the zoo and dipshit haven it's always been.

Should I have said Reddit or something? I don't know...I only go to about 10-12 places total anymore. I've seen all the Internet has to offer, and I've whittled it down a bit over the years.

"As it turns out, I really don't need to watch hobos fist-fighting. And far too many sites are vague/unclear about their definition of MILF. I'm good, Internet."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-25, 09:56

**Entertainment/Funny News**

Machine Gun Kelly asks "what is wrong with the Grammys" after he's snubbed from nominations list

Gosh, I've spent all morning wondering the same thing!

As if...

Seems everyone's got a little Kanye in them these days.

I suppose it's the unavoidable outcome of Generation Participation Trophy entering the entertainment business/performing arts fields.

"But...but...I showed up. I released an album! Where's my #%#@^ Grammy, yo?"

A free tip: when you have to blow your own horn because nobody else will/is...guess what?

Exactly.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-25, 10:17

Don't worry, next year they'll invent a new category where he can get nominated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-25, 10:44

You say that as a joke (I think/hope), but it probably wouldn't surprise me.

"We're, like, all winners here tonight!"

"Great, then WTF are we doing here?! I wouldn't have hit up Vera Wang for a tux and could've just stayed home and smoked heroin (the one thing I should win an award for, BTW)!"
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-25, 11:45

Never under stood the attraction for these award shows (music/movies/shows. Never even heard of over half the people who win them anyway. Then again I’ve never cared much about celebrities anyway.

Think the old say, ‘beggars cannot be choosers,’ applies here.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-25, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Never under stood the attraction for these award shows…
Those who aren’t into auto-fellation (and mini fashion shows/discussion) typically wouldn’t.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2021-11-25, 23:56

New variant, just out today! Good luck everyone!
Anonymous Coward

2021-11-26, 01:14

Presumably, this supports the previous post.

This seems to include more details than most references to the new African strain of COVID. But, if you click this link, it is best if you are using an ad blocker.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-26, 09:00

**Funny/International News**

North Korea is banning leather coats to prevent its people from imitating Kim Jong Un's fashion style

I imagine that's the least of their problems.

On a brighter note - and to the relief of millions - North Koreans, for now, are still permitted to adopt/imitate his bitchin' haircut.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-11-28, 23:41

Quote:
I mean, on the one hand, it was useful because if you weren't a mod, you could ignore that entire section and not have to deal with that shit. On the other hand, people would get toxic in there to each other or they'd post things in regular that needed to be moved on over... days I don't miss.

OTOH, I do see the point about "clicking into this thread to find bad and depressing news can be bad and depressing", and I don't think having 2 threads is a huge burden of mind. Like, I see a difference between "moron offs themself" and "guy who commits crime by running down pedestrians" and I could definitely see having mass casualty events like shootings and attacks in a thread of its own for truly horrible incidents. Or one of my Discord servers runs a Positivity thread where we just put funny and heartewarming stories, as a bread from the bad stuff.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-29, 02:04

My vote would be to keep Daily News for anything, and start a Positivity thread as Capella mentioned.