User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

2021 MacBook Pros

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2021 MacBook Pros
Page 6 of 8 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-08, 10:41

From what I've seen, there seem to be two distinct things going on:
  • a memory leak in Control Center. I've definitely seen screenshots of this, and I suspect it's related to something new to those models? Perhaps some bug with Display or Keyboard Brightness that only affects their specific sensors?
  • a memory leak somewhere in Safari. I suspect this has nothing to do with Monterey or these new Macs and someone merely thought it was something new.

Not great to buy a $2000-5000 laptop and have a memory leak like that, but I imagine they'll have a fix out soon.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-08, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Not great to buy a $2000-5000 laptop and have a memory leak like that, but I imagine they'll have a fix out soon.
Exactly. That's what I was going to say to Drew's original post last night. I'd be really bummed if, after the $2,499+ I dropped for a snazzed-out 14" MacBook Pro, to be constantly rebooting it or otherwise screwing around with it.

"Hey, Tim...get your skinny ass on the phone!"

I don't deal with a single issue on this coal-powered 2013 MacBook Pro and when the day comes that I finally let myself lay down ~$1,499 for a modern AS-based Mac - and it starts to show its ass, right out of the box - I'm gonna be beyond crestfallen.

It's part of the reason I stick with the ancient Mac and iPhone I do...Everything Just Works™. It ain't the fastest, but it's stable/reliable as can be; and I'm reluctant to go rocking that boat just yet, if I don't absolutely have to. The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is strong with me.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2021-11-09, 00:41

Can't speak to the memory leaks yet. But I can say that Affinity Designer runs like a peach. (Not that I'm nearly as advanced a user as yourself 'scates.)

The keyboard is superb. Its just amazing compared to the now relegated butterfly switch board. And this is coming from a huge fan of that board's click.

This thing just has so much snappy it's very satisfying to use overall. Notch is not a problem, yet. We'll see as more icons accumulate in the menu bar. I do feel like the HDMI and SD card are a bit of a regression, unfortunately.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-09, 11:56

A combination of strong sales and shortages, I guess?

Not all models affected, but those going for some of the more tricked-out versions (M1 Max, lots of RAM, etc.) may be looking at wait times into early January.

I guess everyone kinda expected this.

No telling what 2022 holds on the redesigned Air, larger iMac and Mac Pro (in addition to any Mac mini updates or rumored “pro” model) fronts. But I’m betting every original plan they had has been shuffled/tweaked a bit at this point.

They might not make their two-year transition plan, if the clock started ticking at WWDC 2020 when they announced all this. However, they could always consider November 2020 the true start of the transition, giving them a nice 5-month buffer, until November 2022, if they wanted.

But I don’t think anyone is truly going to squawk at this point. It isn’t Apple’s fault. And they also know the performance goodness that will arrive when things finally shake out.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-02, 09:59

My new 13" MBP arrived yesterday. All stock—M1 Pro chip, 16GB RAM—but I BTO'd a 2TB SSD.

Lightroom and Photoshop absolutely scream on this thing. A huge huge step up from my 2019 MBA.

So far I haven't even noticed the notch honestly.

Only downside so far is that the new keyboard attracts fingerprints and smudges way worse than any previous iterations.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-02, 10:05

That's cool. Even cooler is that you see it as a huge step up from a two-year-old model (Air or otherwise). That's impressive because usually we don't expect much going from machines so close in age.

I look forward to an M-something Mac in 2022.

I think the notch is going to be in any Apple notebook, going forward. It'll be a "thing", one of their looks, and it'll allow them to get the bezels, and the machine itself, as small as possible.

I don't think they'd do it on a iMac or future standalone display, where size/weight savings aren't such a concern. But we'll see. They may see the notch as the 2022 "white and chrome" look of 15 or so years ago...just a stock Apple design cue. I do prefer it to having the camera module pooching out, rising above the lid.

Man, I made about 8-10 typo/phrasing/formatting/punctuation mistakes in my initial post above. I'll blame it on the lack of any caffeine this morning. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-02 at 10:42.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-02, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
That's cool. Even cooler is that you see it as a huge step up from a two-year-old model (Air or otherwise). That's impressive because usually we don't expect much going from machines so close in age.
Yeah, I think it's great that they're letting the Pros be Pro again, rather than Airs with slightly higher spec.

Quote:
I think the notch is going to be in any Apple notebook, going forward. It'll be a "thing", one of their looks, and it'll allow them to get the bezels, and the machine itself, as small as possible.

I don't think they'd do it on a iMac or future standalone display,
Doesn't look like it, yep. They did just redesign the iMac, and it didn't get one. (I really hope they add Center Stage to the next one, though.)

It's interesting that they decided against it on the iPad Pro, but for it on the MacBook Pro. Perhaps something about how the iPad is a device you use in many different orientations, so you want as much symmetry as possible. And, yeah, next year's Air will absolutely have it. No reason not to.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-12-02, 16:07

The camera module rising and disappearing as needed is a terrific idea.

But someone is going to demand FaceID on the iMac, and Apple will probably oblige.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-02, 16:23

To be clear, I wasn’t imagining it rising/appearing as needed. Just a permanent pooch out at the top, just begging to be snapped off.

If it’s between that or the notch, I’ll go with the notch.
chucker

2021-12-02, 16:38

They can always do a bump
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-01, 20:01

Anybody waiting for delivery on one of these delayed laptops?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-13, 01:19

Mine arrived with little fanfare.

Migrating my old machine over to the new one might have brought over cruft, but I needed the ease. Took several hours, limited no doubt by the speed of my vintage MBP.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-13, 09:22

Hope all goes well, I know a lot of people had issues using migration assistant moving from an Intel Mac to an M series chip system. Make sure to update apps so they are M series supported if there is an update.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-13, 10:12

My biggest head scratcher is where the plug-ins are for Outlook. I know that you can get all sorts of groovy plug-in goodness but am beginning to worry that the standalone app doesn't allow them.

Also, the new machine alerted me to some malware from 2014!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-13, 10:36

It’s worth it to have a program that checks for that stuff.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-15, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It’s worth it to have a program that checks for that stuff.
LOLOLOL - I deserve that

Let me tell you: this keyboard seriously rocks.

It's way more tactile than my 7 year old keyboard.

It feels more like a proper typewriter, even though it isn't.

The keys feel silkier but chunkier, too.

Clunk, clunk, clunk, some seriously positive feedback.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-15, 00:26

What did you get on the RAM and storage fronts?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-15, 00:32

64GB RAM / 4TB storage

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-15, 10:25

Did you sell you car to get it?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-15, 10:42

With used car prices the way they are now, even a rusty car the hardly works could buy two fully loaded MBPs.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-15, 10:43

So true
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-15, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
64GB RAM / 4TB storage

Woah...loaded!

Plenty of headroom, and more storage than I can even imagine.

Nice. That'll have legs for years and years to come. You shouldn't be looking at a new Mac until about 2044.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-15, 12:21

Listen, if you do the math on inflation, it's a steal- especially if you get one like my 2014 model. I got 7 years out of this thing and it's still a workhorse!

I like the fingerprint reader a lot, btw

The way the lid opens is nice. I need to do that some more so I can describe how it's different from my old machine.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-24, 11:24

Apple still struggling to meet demand for these two new models.

Due to ongoing chip shortages, the pandemic affecting factory output and then just the huge, pent-up demand from so many people who've been waiting years for such a MacBook. Many models, at a minimum, are looking at 3-4 week delivery times, and some well into March or so.

Makes me wonder if that's going to be the story for all the rumored hardware coming in 2022 (new larger iMac, redesigned Air, new Mac Pro and possibly a smaller version, that beefier Mac mini). Can't see why it wouldn't.

This might be the year Apple meets their AS transition goals, but it could be the first part of 2023 before some people actually get their hands on the Mac they want!

On top of that, toss in your usual Rev. A/new design concerns and hiccups. 2022 might be a crazy year for this stuff. Get what you can get, as soon as you're able, and hope for the best? I don't know.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-08, 11:10

I'll tuck this in here since it's MacBook Pro-related (even if they were to do what I suggest and drop "Pro" from the name of that particular model):

M2-based entry-level MacBook Pro (the 13" model) supposedly coming next month during the same early-March event where the iPhone SE and iPad Air are to be updated.

*shrug*

News to me!

It's a perfect opportunity for them to do right/clear the air/reduce confusion and simply call this $1,299 thing a MacBook. An Air with a fan, but not quite balls-to-the-wall performance (and pricing) of the 14" and 16" Pro models. If they keep the word "Pro" in this, it's just going to look so stupid and needlessly confusing.

Do the right thing here, Apple. I'd even be okay with them calling it something like MacBook Plus, in anticipation of the redesigned Air simply being called "MacBook" at some point in 2022.

So, if this rumor is legit, it looks like that 13" model, whatever it's called, is going to stick around for another cycle.

On a related note (talking about stock RAM and all), when do you think Apple will ever go to 16GB RAM stock, on all machines? Ever? Soon? 3-4 years from now?
chucker

2022-02-08, 11:34

Quote:
I'd even be okay with them calling it something like MacBook Plus
I think "Plus" as a suffix for a product variant is gone, because they want that to signify their for-pay subscription services (TV+, Fitness+, iCloud+… I feel like I'm forgetting a few). That's why they introduced "Max".

I do hope they stop with the "oh, that's a different MacBook Pro! it's also Pro, but somehow not really" silliness.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-08, 11:54

Yeah. It’s weird to have a 13” model called “pro” for $1,299, and then two others (that actually merit the name), sharing a same design, starting at &1,999.

People who don’t hang out at places like this - and even some of us who do - can’t be blamed for being a little confused and wondering what that $700 difference is all about.

Call it “MacBook” (or MacBook *** if the redesigned Air is going to get called “MacBook” this year) and it just looks/sits better in the lineup, and instantly removes any confusion/questions.

But they won’t.

They could’ve done so when they rolled the new 14” and 16” models out a few months ago, and they’ll probably not do it in early March.

On the next investor/earnings call, why doesn’t some reporter or stockholder ask about this?

“Y’all’s naming kinda sucks and leads to some needless confusion/question…what gives? How hard is it to remove the word “Pro” from a notebook that truly isn’t, now that you’ve established what truly makes an Apple pro notebook? Why the stubborn foot-dragging? Anyone? Tim?”
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-08, 12:22

They just need to drop the price tier and be done with it. MacBook Air is powerful enough to get absolutely everyone in that bracket covered, with a well-spec'd model costing just $1599 (that's with 7-core GPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB storage). Anyone who needs more than that should just jump straight to the 14" MB Pro at $1999.

Anything in between is just a waste of marketing dollars and presents confusion to the customer base.

We haven't stocked that 13" MB Pro in over a month, and have only sold a couple in the last quarter. Waste of time to replace it with another useless thing. Just put the M2 into the Air and call it a day.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2022-02-08, 12:32

FWIW, if the M1 Pro came with a 32 GB option, that might be sweet spot. (So, maybe with the M2.)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-02-08, 13:12

I have the M1 13" MBP and it's definitely been a great machine. Mostly went for it for the design though and the slightly better battery life over the MacBook Air.

If they redo the MBA as expected with a new design and an M2, I'll probably trade this one in and get the MBA, especially if it comes in colors.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.