User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 170 of 221 First Previous 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-08, 13:33

Who is buying this stuff, and why? Is it because they think she is attractive, and might pay attention to them? Guess there are just that many people out there with more money than brain cells.

It's like stumbling into live YouTube videos where people are giving people playing videos games hundreds of dollars for doing, well nothing.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-08, 14:00

Honestly I can't get worked up over someone getting rich by separating morons from their money.

Plus she's helpfully compiled a list of future rapists/serial killers for the FBI!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-08, 14:14

It would be interesting to see that overlap.

"Today's fart-sniffers are tomorrow's peeping Toms and clothesline panty thieves." - J. Edgar Hoover (while adjusting his bra)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-09, 12:15

If a Hollywood black-tie auto-fellation session fails to be televised, does anyone hear it?

I just learned that this year's Golden Globe awards won't be televised or streamed tonight. I thought that was unusual, so my first thought was "uh-oh did someone discover an 11-year-old Tweet from the producer making a bad joke or using a word no longer allowed in 2022?".

But it seems there is some sort of corruption scandal with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, involving money, access, paid-for votes, bribery, etc.

Shocking.

Basically everything I've been saying for about 30 years re: these kinds of shows, and how the winners aren't chosen on artistic merit or technical achievement but a dozen other factors...ass-kissing, money/payoffs, deal-cutting, statement-making, politics, favor-banking, reciprocal back-scratching, sexual favors, secret-keeping, etc. It's really the only way you can explain some of the "winners" over the years.

Will Ricky Gervais just stand in front of a mirror in his hotel suite and awkwardly insult/ding himself for 3-4 hours? Can Tina Fey and Amy Poehler be as painfully unfunny without an audience as they are with? Will I be able to get through the coming week without being lectured/fingerwagged on the environment, race and sexual misbehavior by STD-riddled coke-hounds who wrote the book on how to mistreat/abuse those "below" them?

We can hope.

And here I was, all set to see Alec Baldwin receive the Louis B. Meyer Award for Filmmaking Safety.

Don't laugh...knowing this bunch, someone surely floated the idea. "He's one of our most outspoken colleagues, saying all the right things on every issue...we must give him something in light of all he's gone through! While we'd rather give it to Clooney, he, unfortunately, hasn't shot and killed anyone this year...".

Clowns.

"Who are you wearing tonight?"

"Weinstein's jizz. Same as the past 11 years?"
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-09, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
People - most people - step up when it counts. We see it over and over again. Hopefully that trait/outlook never goes away.
$25 million raised in individual donations from 150,000 people to help fire victims
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-09, 21:13

That's pretty amazing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-10, 10:00

It was no better for those watching it, Ben.

Believe me.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-10, 12:38

** Holy cow moment **

Police pull pilot from plane moments before train crash

Wow. A few things:

1) For every bad thing, there are many good things;

2) Give these guys a raise;

3) It's hard to define "hero" in our current socio-political climate, but these guys fit my definition. I've always equated the word with those who risk life or limb to save others, and I will continue to do so.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-10, 14:04

I saw where Bob Saget has died at 65, found in a Florida hotel room yesterday. He was currently out on tour, doing standup. Sheriff's office said no sign of foul play or drugs. Maybe an undiagnosed medical condition (some sort of heart defect, etc.).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-10, 14:31

It will be interesting to see what he died of. Not that is really matters what the cause is, he's still gone.

Then again, he was gone from my life when Full House went off the air. :shrug:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-11, 11:30

Does this mean we can really call David Bennett a pig?
Quote:
A 57-year-old man is recovering in a Maryland hospital after receiving a genetically modified pig’s heart, in what is a groundbreaking medical achievement.
While many know that pigs have amazing similarities to humans, I'm mildly surprised this is happening. It is really wild when you think about it actually.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-11, 11:48

Hope it was a skinny pig, he might not be getting a good deal. I would think that more focus would be going into the tech of growing a replacement heart from your own DNA than stuff like this, but for the time being I guess it’s a good option? I thought something like this had been done a few years ago? Maybe it wasn’t successful? Anyway, I wonder what kind of anti-rejection drugs he’s on?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-11, 12:16

I'm betting he develops an aversion to bacon. For that reason alone, I wouldn't do it.

"How about a giraffe heart in here instead? I'm totally open to suggestions, doctor..."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-11, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Only if he's a cop.

I'll just see myself out…

That being said, yeah, pigs are very similar to humans in this regard, and I've been reading about this potential for years. It's exciting to see medicine advancing like this. Like any transplant recipient, Mr. Bennett will likely be on a heavy cocktail of drugs for the rest of his life, but hopefully it gives him a lot more time both for himself and for the sake of medical research.

Did you know that some tattoo artists have been practicing on pigs for years because their skin is so similar to ours?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-11, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Only if he's a cop.

I'll just see myself out…

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
…for the rest of his life…
I'll set the egg timer.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-11, 13:05

You know, while he might die shortly due to some complication from the surgery/organ, he is going to likely live longer than he would without it from the bits I've read. So there is that.

Also, think of the intricacies involved in getting the heart from a different species to work. Nerves, veins, support... I mean, that is wild!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-11, 18:30

Don't we have some of those dudes in Minecraft?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-11, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Don't we have some of those dudes in Minecraft?
Yes!! I'm still trying to figure out the new Nether names... are Piglin the old Pigmen??

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 14:36

**International/Baby-Making/WTF News**

Mother gives up baby for adoption and sues sperm donor for $2.8m after he lied about his education, nationality, and wife

This one is actually a little sad, only because I'm thinking of the poor little baby who wasn't wanted by the mom. Hopefully the baby goes to a loving home and has a good life.

Back to the adult idiots involved...

Quote:
A Japanese woman is giving up her child to the state and suing her sperm donor after he lied about his ethnicity and educational background.

The woman, in her thirties, who lives in Tokyo with her husband and first-born child, had sex with the sperm donor ten times due to conceive a second child, after it came to light her husband had a hereditary disease,

A red flag here. In the shape of a penis.

Don't they use turkey basters, test tubes and stuff like that with this kind of thing? I always thought it was all kinda clinical and lab-based? Was sex necessary? Did this "donor", who apparently lied about everything else, say this was the case? I'm guessing so. I can only imagine the amount of bullcrap he must've ladled out to get into her pants. 10 times.

Quote:
The donor told her he was Japanese, single, and a graduate of Kyoto University, one of the best universities in Japan.

The woman, who has remained nameless in Japanese news reports, got pregnant in June 2019.

However, during her pregnancy, she learned that the donor was, in fact, Chinese, went to a different university and was married.
Uh...

This woman...does she not check anything beyond the say-so of a stranger? She's in her 30's...isn't that part of the deal, you don't give it up (10 times) like you're still 17 and naive? I think all that happened here is she met some Chinese guy who wanted to bang someone other than his wife. He convinced her of all the rest and got to put it to her nearly a dozen times. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

The rest of the article pretty much confirms the above...no real sperm bank laws in Japan, huge black market, the guy was indeed just looking for some side tail, the woman fell for it (10 times), etc. Scary thing is, I can only assume this isn't a weird, isolated incident if all the above is true. Guys lying about their pedigree, desperate women falling for it, no system in place to weed out the bullshitters/users and, unfortunately, innocent little babies being born that may not be wanted once the truth(s) come to light.

Everyone involved just needs a Moe Howard Special (an eye-poke, nose bonk and a roundhouse slap).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-16 at 14:56.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-16, 15:36

It's Japan man, nothing we consider normal is normal there.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-17, 12:57

So, she's married. And her husband was okay with this stupidity?

All parties get what they deserve.

Chinese guy gets some easy tail.

Japanese lady gets screwed.

Husband gets to know his wife is doing "that Chinese guy". This guy needs to move on.

But, as PB PM said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It's Japan man, nothing we consider normal is normal there.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 13:29

You'd think, at the very least, she might've demanded some proof of his education (if that mattered so much to her). A diploma or something? I can easily tell someone I went to Princeton or Yale...but it's up to them to doubt/confirm such a ridiculous statement, and call me on it if they're using that as any sort of bang-worthy and/or sperm-donating barometer.

"The panties stay on until I see some paper, slick...".

Would she have any visible, physical clues that he wasn't Japanese? Forgive such a clumsy question, but I truly don't know. If you live there, or you're Asian, can you tell such things in some physical way? Would she be in a position to do so? Are there slight, subtle physical differences that familiar people, Asian to Asian, could pick up on?

I truly don't know, I'm asking. No "offense" or anything intended, whatsoever.

Because, if so, she somehow missed it on 10 tries.

"On about the eighth time, I started to have my suspicions...".

I'm thinking this woman might be a bit of a dingbat, on several levels.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-17, 13:36

In a situation like this there are no victims, only volunteers.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 13:44

The "donor"...I'd be curious to know how many times he managed to pull that stunt with others. 1-2? Dozens?

I still think about that little baby that was born that nobody wanted. But somebody will, surely. *sniff*
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-17, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
The "donor"...I'd be curious to know how many times he managed to pull that stunt with others. 1-2? Dozens?

I still think about that little baby that was born that nobody wanted. But somebody will, surely. *sniff*
Okay I take it back, the baby is the victim.

But the adults? Yeah they have nobody to blame but themselves.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 14:17

Oh, the adults are all vile. And possibly at atomic-levels of stupidity, with broken moral rudders. I don't think any of them need to be bringing life into the world, any more than they already have.

Start snipping with this bunch.

"You've done enough."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 17:15

**Idiots & Selfies News**

Unfazed woman takes selfie from her car sinking through the ice in Rideau River

The first photo in article says it all...about as 2022 as it gets.

Dumb snatch was driving on the frozen river when it gave in. Seems she'd been driving on the river for quite a while, even. I hate traffic/redlights too, but...

Quote:
As she stood on the back window of her car waiting for assistance, she was composed enough to take a smiling selfie. Before help arrived, the car had sunk to the point that just a portion of the roof was showing. She was able to climb on to the kayak and be pulled to the river’s edge.

Police said the driver was charged with one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.
First, and only, thing in the article that makes an ounce of sense.

It happened in Canada, so it's a small relief to know this country doesn't completely have the market cornered on brain-dead fuckwittery (it just sometimes seems like it).

And I wonder why my insurance rates creep up.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-17, 17:34

You’re just better at broadcasting it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-17, 17:42

That kind of nonsense is only understandable if taking the iced-over river will help you escape Toronto traffic.

Today was mayhem in the city. Our 16-lane Highway 401 is still jammed with cars stuck in snow.

The Premier is driving around in his truck offering rides, because there's an election in five months.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-17, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
You’re just better at broadcasting it.
We have entire TV shows and "news" programs hinging on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The Premier is driving around in his truck offering rides, because there's an election in five months.
Ah, one of those situational Man of the People™ types, huh? Was he kissing babies and helping cook a pancake breakfast too, while driving? All these political types get real "salt of the earth" every few years, don't they? Hillary talks like an old black woman/starts carrying hot sauce in her purse while visiting a rib joint, Mitt Romney puts on a flannel shirt and flips pancakes, John Kerry eats a Philly cheese steak completely wrong, John Kasich helps load some boxes on a UPS truck, etc. I've seen others chop wood, look under the hood of an old pickup truck, throw some hay bales on a trailer, throw a football worse than I do, etc. for photo ops. It's a hoot.

"He's just like all of us...".

Yeah. Just like.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-17 at 17:56.