Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi
Page 2 of 6 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-03-11, 08:49

The text is so big, nobody under 80 is going to read that, let alone Star Wars fans.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-11, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Paul your posts are eight miles long. You can't expect normal Star Wars fans to read your entire manifesto

What? I can’t hear you.

How’s that?

Read, don’t read. I don’t give a shit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-11, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
What? I can’t hear you.

How’s that?

Read, don’t read. I don’t give a shit.

It's just funny that people came along echoing things you'd already mentioned... "Yes, yes, if you consult Chapter 3, subparagraph F, you'll see that I already covered this topic"

What I'm saying is: READ A BOOK, PEOPLE!!!

🤣

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-11, 11:58

Scates takes his cues from the opening scroll.

A long, long, long, long, long, long, long time ago, in a galaxy on the other side of the living room …

Pauly Wars

It is a dark time for the Novans.
Although rebel keyboard jockeys have
scored some dubious rumors that
must me written about before the empire
of crusty Moderators bans them forever,
the pressure is on to get it right!

Attacking from their hidden terminals,
the keyboard jockeys suddenly find
themselves facing yet another set
of rules violations, including cussing
without permission, poking fun at
others, and posts running past
one thousand words.

Now, as May the twenty-fourth bares
down upon the heroes, there is a dark
and sinister disturbance in the force.
The dark syth lord, Darth Bradly,
prepares the ultimate weapon,
the perma-ban …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-11, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

It's just funny that people came along echoing things you'd already mentioned... "Yes, yes, if you consult Chapter 3, subparagraph F, you'll see that I already covered this topic"

What I'm saying is: READ A BOOK, PEOPLE!!!

🤣

Ah, yes...I cover everything. Nobody else needs to.

j/k, of course.

I'll start bullet-pointing my posts with a table of contents or appendix, so folks can easily check it out before they say what I've already said.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-11, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Scates takes his cues from the opening scroll.

A long, long, long, long, long, long, long time ago, in a galaxy on the other side of the living room …

Pauly Wars

It is a dark time for the Novans.
Although rebel keyboard jockeys have
scored some dubious rumors that
must be written about before the empire
of crusty Moderators bans them forever,
the pressure is on to get it right!

Attacking from their hidden terminals,
the keyboard jockeys suddenly find
themselves facing yet another set
of rules violations, including cussing
without permission, poking fun at
others, and posts running past
one thousand words.

Now, as May the twenty-fourth bares
down upon the heroes, there is a dark
and sinister disturbance in the force.
The dark syth lord, Darth Bradly,
prepares the ultimate weapon,
the perma-ban …
You should write another book. 😆

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-03-11 at 17:13.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-11, 15:41

Speaking of opening crawls, does anyone else miss those? I do. Doesn't feel quite Star Wars without them, IMO.

Those two standalone movies didn't have them, and the TV shows don't. They don't really need it, beyond maybe the first episode (maybe to just set the stage a bit?). But, seeing as how we're dealing with a PT/OT character and events in this upcoming show, I think it would be cool if the first episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi did the "A long time ago..." and opening crawl thing again.

I doubt they will, but it would be a nice touch. So much is conveyed in just three short paragraphs. I can recite the ones from ANH and TESB by heart...perfect setup/"here's what's going on..." writing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-11, 15:49

I guess Disney decided they didn’t want to pay the fines to the actors guild for having the scroll rather than giving credits to the leading actors like every other movie.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-11, 15:55

Is that it, for real? I didn't know. Hmmm, interesting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-11, 16:46

The Clone Wars cartoons only have a single sentence static on the screen rather than a scroll and it isn't the title of the episode. It is tied to it, but not the actual title.

I can't say I miss the scroll either. Never thought about it much for that matter.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-23, 11:03

So it isn't just me, then...

Whew!

I've been doing this for years. Decades, really, ever since the prequels (where it was shown several times). Every grocery store I go to, or any store with an automatic door, I do the little Jedi hand wave thing.

As recently as yesterday, in fact.

I don't even really think about it at this point, it's just automatic habit. And if I'm ever with someone, I get some variation on "really?!" or "hard to believe he's single, ladies...".

Once I did it and a woman coming out chuckled and said "these aren't the groceries you're looking for". Busted! Which made us both laugh. I love those little knowing moments between dork strangers.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-31, 10:25

Quote:
Ewan McGregor revealed today that the Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ show has adjusted its premier date by two days and will now include two episodes rather than the previously-expected one episode. The new release date is now Friday, May 27th, coinciding with the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim.
Nifty! Doubleheader.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-31, 11:10

Hmmm. Odd they'd come off that iconic May 25, but, in the end...who cares? It's just an air date, right?

I think I mentioned this upthread, but the thing that annoys me with these Disney+ SW shows is that they're still treated/presented as traditional network fare...doled out once a week. There's no "scheduling" or time-slot concerns with streaming content (any platform) the way networks have to consider. These things could/should just be released, in their entirety, all at once. The "wait" generated by the current approach is just artificial, IMO. Meant to stir up interest, but I think most folks are past all that and just want to watch stuff truly "on demand" if they're going through these particular services. I remember that was one of the nice things about that first season of Stranger Things that I watched...all episodes were available at once, and the viewer can choose to view them however they like...one a week, two in a row, a daylong weekend binge, etc. I sat and watched the entire season starting on a Friday night, up until about 1am, and then finished it out the next day, off and on, as the mood/timing hit. But, by midnight Saturday, I'd seen the entire first season.

"Cool...I enjoyed it, I'm done with it. Okay, move on...".

Rainy Saturdays are made for this kind of fare, for those who want to hunker down and watch 6+ hours of something because there's nothing else to do (due to the weather, illness, time off, etc.).

Producing a modern streaming series with 6-8 episodes, but ladling them out once a week like it's Family Ties or Hill Street Blues just seems odd, and missing the point. Like buying an iPod with a cassette tape rewind/FF function. Why hang on to those vestiges of traditional show-airing when it isn't necessary? To my knowledge, all the episodes of The Mandalorian and other SW fare are "in the can" at the airing of the very first episode. They're not still in production/post-production, as is often the case with 26-episode network sitcoms or dramas. They could easily make them all available, same day.

I hope that's something they change in the future. Don't make this silly stuff demand 6-8 weeks of my life when I could - should I choose/prefer - bang it all out on a rainy, dreary weekend, at my leisure. It's actually less satisfying, and more annoying, the once-a-week release. And that'll be the main reason I drift from this stuff at some point. It's not network/cable TV...there's no reason to drag any of these shows out for two months, one episode a week. That's just being old-fashioned to be old-fashioned.

If they can release two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi on the 27th, then they can do all six (I think that's the episode count?), and I've have them all watched by midnight Saturday, I'm betting. I'm 95% sure, come May 27, the entire series will be complete and ready for air (they may still be getting some final tweaks now, I realize, but that won't be the case in two months).

That's my only real gripe with streaming content, those outlets/projects that adhere to the staggered, once-a-week release like traditional TV. Just seems a little fake and unnecessary.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-03-31 at 11:24.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-31, 11:25

They keep the traditional broadcast scheduling to keep people subscribed as long as possible. They know all they need is that one show you want to watch and they can keep you hooked for months.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-31, 13:01

Yeah, it is all about retention now. Especially with a monthly subscription over an annual one. Most people aren't willing to wait for a series to end, subscribe for one month, binge and then cancel. They just keep bleeding cash to the subscription services instead.

Either way, I'm looking forward to see this show. I'm a little leery about political agendas tainting it given recent news, but I don't want this thread to digress. I'm really hoping this stays Star Wars themed, not political (outside of Empire and Rebels at least ).

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-31, 13:15

I’ve not heard any political stuff. Let me guess…the villains have orange skin and horrific combovers?

MEGA = Make Empire Great Again?

What, too soon?

But seriously…

So you can quite a streaming service anytime? Can you rejoin with the same username, credit card info, etc. again? Looking at it from that angle, I guess I see why they dribble them out because everyone would watch the entire thing on a weekend and cancel their Disney+ for 6-7 months until The Mandalorian or Rosario returns.

Devious bastards.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-03-31 at 13:43.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-31, 13:25

I feel ok I should Trumpify Palpatine now... but I won't.

Yeah, monthly service is easy come and easy go. Thing is most people sign up and forget to cancel or just never actually do it and end up continuing to give the money. Much like gym memberships in February.

In some cases I'm sure they don't release all at once because they are still in production. Rather than just do all production at once like a REALLY long movie, it is broken up. So I'm sure that has some pull to it as well.

¡Damned!

2022-05-04, 08:29

"You can't escape him!!"

Thought something might drop today.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-04, 08:32

Oh thank you for sharing that! I'm pretty excited about this series.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-05-04, 08:46

Nice!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-04, 08:53

"Like you trained his father?"

Oh no you dinnit! Burrrnnnn.

Uncle Owen obviously DGAF, smarting off to a Jedi.

Interesting shot of Obi-Wan using an "uncivilized" blaster (but it's also how he killed General Grievous, so there's precedent; when you're in the thick of it, any weapon will do).

It looks really good, like a movie. Stuff like this will further spell the ending for the multiplex as we know it in the coming years. TV fare looks as "big", sprawling and cinematic as anything you'd pay $12 to see at the Flick-O-Rama 28.

It definitely doesn't have the "Tatooine only" vibe I expected/predicted all along. Looks like there will be other planets and locations thrown into the mix. Cool shot of Vader(?) having his arm put on.

McGregor looks great in the part. He's got another ~18 years on him since we last saw him play this character, so he's aged nicely into the role. According to my calculations, Obi-Wan would've been around 47 in the middle of that 20-year gap between Episodes 3 and 4 (when this show is set), and McGregor is 51 in real life, so that's...close enough to pull off without a bunch of aging makeup and CGI tricks. Apparently Obi-Wan was 57 in A New Hope, so I just subtracted 10 years from that...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-05-04, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
MEGA = Make Empire Great Again?
You made me think of one better.

MAGA = Make Anakin Great Again

🤣😭

I'll just let myself out…
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-05-04, 09:23

I mean, Palpatine's speech in EpIII was absolutely a fascist beat by beat masterpiece. I had such profound chills with that + Padme's "liberty dies with thunderous applause" when I saw it in theatres and it's a prequel moment that profoundly sticks with me.

I'm so upset I'm not at Celebration this year to have it drop then and see it live with a bunch of other fans, but I spent a bunch of money to the USA and USCIS in order to get married and keep my spouse.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-04, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

🤣😭

I love it! I might just make merchandise out of that one!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-04, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

🤣😭

"It's a beautiful lightsaber. The best one that's ever been made...and those who say it isn't, they're from shithole planets".

Combover on top of that helmet, red tie hanging down below his crank...

And that's as "political" as I intend to get here. Enjoy it, because that's all you goons are getting. But when you lob a slow sinker over the plate, I'm gonna swing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-04, 11:09

Great trailer. These remind me more of the direction The Mandalorian trailers went. It's clear that Disney is taking a very dark direction, where Obi Wan is pulling out all the stops to protect Luke while simultaneously "running for his life".

I suspect a lot of that off world stuff may well be the Inquisitors hunting Obi Wan, or maybe even other Jedi/old acquaintances (like that big dude Obi Wan got information from in Ep II). Just tracking him in general.

But, it also seems clear that Obi Wan is lurking in the shadows of some off-world basement, so he is clearly being lured/chasing around for some reason. Perhaps he believes the best defense is a solid offense? So he becomes the hunter?

Did I say this was a great trailer?

And since we're on the topic (and this is a Mac users forum), I'll go ahead and drop this in here. It seems to fit.

Edit: And holycowcrap that Central Machine Room! To think that our beloved Obi Wan is getting his lightsaber worked over in there, right next to Dark Helmet!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-05-04 at 11:36.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-05-04, 13:02

This was a great trailer and definitely gets me more excited for this.

Was definitely disappointed at the "six part series" but oh well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-15, 16:28

On a somewhat-related note, I see where Disney+ is now up to 138M subscribers.

I remember running vague numbers ~18 months ago, barely over the 100M mark, to talk about much Disney+ was bringing in monthly.

Via Googling, the two main price tiers for Disney+ look to be $6.99/month for ad-supported, and $12.99/month for ad-free.

Forgetting the $12.99 completely and just using the lower tier as a bare minimum...

138,000,000 subscribers x $6.99 a month = $964,620,000 (as always, someone check my math).

I know that's a rough figure because some could be grandfathered in at lower pricing, while others may be part of some bundle (or deals through various carriers), etc. Fine, whatever. I'm accounting for all that. And I know that's not all profit...stuff has to be paid for, etc. I realize that too.

The important part is that, however you want to slice it, Disney seems to be bringing in just under $1B a month simply from a bunch of silly Marvel, Star Wars and Disney/Pixar shit.

And when you factor in that a certain percentage is paying $12.99/month, then they probably do blow past the $1B mark!

That's pretty impressive/healthy! No, it's not all profit. But I bet a boatload of it is. More than they were bringing in back in mid-May of 2017, just five short years ago.

I can't even grasp numbers that high, coming in that steadily. One month of this should fund years' worth of Marvel, Star Wars and other projects/fare, easily.

Disney+ is basically a money-printing machine. If any of their shows look less than stellar/believable, they have zero excuse at this point. They're bringing in, in one month, basically what was spent over the course of five or so years to bring three feature films to the big screen between 2015-2019 (production, marketing, etc.). When you kinda view it all through that perspective, it almost seems like J.J. Abrams just completely wasted a bunch of their money for a few years...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-19, 11:35

The hype is strong with this one!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-19, 18:07

Soon, very soon.