Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi
Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-09, 09:27

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I did enjoy the episode and was shocked at how short it was. I did notice most of what was said above. Actually, my kids and I were heckling the troopers most of the time. If I were ever in a gunfight, I would want it to be against a stormtrooper!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-09, 09:55

I'm telling you...they're actually blind!

It's the only thing that accounts for some of this in-universe silliness. They see nothing...old men sneaking around their workplace, etc. Which, in turn, explains their inability to plug two teenagers trapped on a 3-foot ledge, or a pilot tinkering with his ship in Mos Eisley. They just point their blasters in the general direction of where they think the action/target is, and fire. Hoping for the best.

They've destroyed more of their own hardware or facilities (hitting walls, control panels, duct work, etc.) than they've ever actually shot an enemy.

The Empire would've easily prevailed had their infantry/foot soldiers been able to actually see. How that important tidbit got overlooked by HR, I'll never know.

"Lord Vader, it seems our Stormtrooper squadrons are all completely blind."

"Well, then...that will make for some funny shit, won't it, Commander? I saw one hit his head on a doorway yesterday...un-freakin'-believable".

As much as I love the desert, I do believe my favorite visual/location in this series has been that Imperial (Inquisitor?) facility on that watery planet. Every time they show it, I'm just looking around at all that glossy black with the red accents. It looks awesome! Those huge doorways with the red glowing checkpoints, the angled hallways, how the sky reflects off that flooring on the hangar deck (with, naturally, no railing between it and the ocean below ), the underwater rooms/offices with the green sea and animal life swimming around in the background, etc. That's just a cool facility/set.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-09 at 10:11.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-11, 16:22

TNT is showing the original trilogy today.

A New Hope just ended, Empire just started. Doof that I am, I’ve stopped everything and I’m sitting in the floor, watching, like an 11-year-old who’s never seen them.

Before I die, I just want to experience the original 1977 movie again, on the big screen and with a crowd. Maybe someday.

These original three releases never get old for me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-13, 10:21

I spent part of the weekend re-watching the first four installments of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

They look amazing (that's never been an issue or in dispute) and, as expected, Ewan McGregor is the best thing about this (as he was with the prequels).

But I have to say, upon an "all together" re-watch, there's some real ball-dropping taking place in the writing/overall story, IMO.

This thing, while great to look at/fun to watch, seems so far away from what it could/should have been. And, more than ever, I'm convinced some of the writers have never seen anything Star Wars-related before. It's striking me as a show that is taking six episodes to say what it could have in 2-3 (or just a nice 2:30 standalone movie). While not as meandering and time-wasting as The Book of Boba Fett, there is some true meandering and time-wasting going on here.

The whole Leia thing seems like a quirky idea that spun out of control, frankly. And, sometimes, it feels like a Reva show. I mentioned a few threads up that this show sometimes feels like anything but an Obi-Wan Kenobi show. They've felt the need to press in these other things, and I don't think it's helped.

There's just so much detouring and tail-chasing going on that takes away from what could/should have been a tight, focused story about Obi-Wan watching over Luke, and trying to keep any baddies (Empire and otherwise) crossing through Mos Eisley, Anchorhead, etc. at bay. I think that's what most everyone was expecting, and looking forward to. And they've basically done everything but.

I'm looking forward to the final two installments, just in the hopes that something kinda happens and it all pays off. But if this show doesn't get a second season, it really won't bother me if this is the kind of thing it's going to be. They've squandered a lot of opportunities on this go-around. They've not been on Tatooine since the first episode, and I just find that really...annoying.

The problem isn't the acting or directing, or even the casting (little Leia and Reva are fine, if not a tad overdone and oddly center-staged). And it certainly isn't the visuals and overall look. I think it's 95% in the writing/story. And a few of the "WTF?!" moments are kinda unforgivable because this property has been in the public eye for over four decades, so anyone hired to write for it should know the basics and how things work. Some sequences come across like some writers from Grey's Anatomy or NCIS were brought in, and weren't told it was a Star Wars project. I can't think of a better way to describe it. It just seems a bit stock and pedestrian at times….too “network TV show” at times, and it’s jarring.

Neither of these two shows have been as truly enjoyable and well-done as The Mandalorian. And that kinda blows my mind, actually...two shows dedicated to Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi are pulling up short, behind a show based on a character that didn't even exist until 3-4 years ago. But maybe, within that, lies the actual answer/reason? Maybe these legacy characters carry too much baggage at this point? Maybe the future of Star Wars, in addition to being these episodic TV shows, also might want to center around new, previously-unknown characters? You can certainly touch back to the OT (and PT) as needed, as The Mandalorian nicely does. But I'm just no longer convinced that building shows around characters who've "had their shot" is the way to go. All of which kinda makes me worry a bit about the upcoming Andor and, especially, Ahsoka.

Since Disney/Lucasfilm seem to be running about 2-3 years behind in realizing the obvious, I expect, come 2024-2025, Ms. Kennedy will announce some new shows, none of which will center around any major, legacy characters from the movies, because they will eventually come around to/realize the above. I think that is a smarter, better approach. And it opens up things for better, "anything goes" storytelling, because you're not having to "match" characters, behavior, motivations, deeds, etc. to what has come before. You can only do/say so much with Boba Fett, Obi-Wan (and Han Solo, the Death Star, etc.). Like Din Djarin, you just bring in a new character and turn them loose to have their own, new adventures in this established, rich universe where the framework and parameters are already established (so it all feels appropriately Star Wars-y). But with the focus being primarily on them, with the fan-service/nostalgia/callbacks limited to occasional guest roles or locations, ships, visuals, etc. we all recognize.

Sorry to ramble, but, third episode in yesterday, all the above started to kinda hit me...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-13 at 12:00.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-13, 10:52

I will say I actually agree with you on how shows pulling from "unknown characters" seem to do better. I mean, the canvas is blank and they don't have to worry about filling in between known details that are already set in stone/canon. Freedom and we get to just enjoy the era and storytelling rather than comparing it to that episode of Clone Wars or Ep4 etc...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-13, 11:55

Yep.

And I hope this dawns on them at some point. They’ve had one solid, enjoyable show centered around a new character and two that are a bit more of a let-down centered around two very popular ones.

I think that has to say/mean something.

That in mind, it wouldn’t surprise me if Andor fares better, and winds up being a more enjoyable show to watch, than Ahsoka. My concern is the latter may fall victim to the Boba Fett/Obi-Wan thing…we know too much, we know all the beats and marks that need to be filled. That can’t help but lock writers in a bit.

Just speculation/theory on my part, but, right now, in my mind, Disney is 1-for-3 on the live-action Star Wars stuff. I thought the Boba Fett show was very weak, and this Obi-Wan thing has come up a bit short, overall. Ewan McGregor and the visuals are about all I’m truly enjoying, now that the novelty of Leia has worn off and the sight or Reva screaming at everyone has kinda played out a bit.

The show should’ve never left Tatooine, IMO (except maybe to show scenes of Vader from time to time; but I’m also not convinced he even needed to be part of this; I think that was throwing a bone to fans, vs. any true need). And if it does get a second season, then they should deliver what everyone was primed for/expecting…Oni-Wan watching over/protecting Luke, and himself, amongst the riff-raff of Tatooine, including bounty hunters and others sent there to do Vader and the Empire’s bidding). I don’t think Obi-Wan was planet-hopping and adventuring during those ~20 years, so it’s kinda changing the vibe of the character, suddenly being told that he was.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-13 at 12:06.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-06-13, 12:03

During the last episode, I caught myself wondering if, instead of six episodes, Kenobi would have worked better as a trilogy of 2-hour films.

Then I remembered how the last Star Wars trilogy turned out, and I quickly put that idea out of my mind.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-14, 11:52

Next to the last (there’s a word for that and it’s escaping me) overnight tonight. I’m very curious to see where things go. There’s a lot to resolve…

I know what I dont’t want to see more of, but that’s probably wishful thinking at this point.
¡Damned!

2022-06-14, 12:30

I'm losing hope to see any kind of confrontation the Death Star – I don't think it would make sense at this point. We might see it, but probably as a setup for Season 2.

Now I'm just hoping that Ben drops the kid back home asap and gets to spend some quality beach-planet time with Ms. Fake Imperial Officer. Rowr.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-14, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Now I'm just hoping that Ben drops the kid back home asap and gets to spend some quality beach-planet time with Ms. Fake Imperial Officer. Rowr.
Didn't they make a movie about that in the late 70's? I think it was called Obi-Long Kenobi, or something.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-14, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Next to the last (there’s a word for that and it’s escaping me) overnight tonight.
Penultimate?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-14, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm losing hope to see any kind of confrontation the Death Star – I don't think it would make sense at this point. We might see it, but probably as a setup for Season 2.

No kidding. I would! Brat Luke can fend for himself a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Penultimate?
That’s it!

My brain just isn’t working right. I was all “Pentathalon? Pentax? Punjab? Dammit, I know this word. I’ve used it!”

I need to lie down in some ice or something.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-15, 03:24

I enjoyed this one better than the last one...it sets the table nicely.

- Reva, stop yelling. Not even four minutes in and she's already screaming. STFU already. Another character even touches on how her rage has become "tiresome". I was nodding like a fiend. "Tell it like it is!"

- Flashbacks throughout to younger Obi-Wan and Anakin practicing their lightsaber fighting, with bearing on how things turned out (strategies/weaknesses that still exist in Vader that Obi-Wan was able to exploit).

- We finally got the Reva backstory, and it's as many suspected. That was her amongst those younglings at the start of the first episode, in the Jedi temple. She saw the newly-christened Vader enter the temple and slaughter younglings. Her anger toward him, Obi-Wan, etc. is as many had speculated.

- A bowcaster! Not used by Chewie, but the leader of that underground movement (who is Ice Cube's son in real life). It might not be the exact model of Chewie's rifle, but it certainly had those front "wings"/crossbow bars on it. Pretty obvious/blatant.

- Tense in places.

- Reva is conflicted, and has no love for Vader, the Inquisitors, her gig in general, etc. as I pointed out about three episodes ago upthread.

- Lots of Anakin and Vader in this one.

- Poor Tala; but I figured that was her arc.

- Thermal detonator! I like how these shows will use objects and devices from the feature films, and because we already know what they are/do, no time has to be wasted on someone saying what they are. We all already know. Nice to see those little touches of familiar items popping up at times.

- Vader vs. Reva; not sure what she thought she was going to accomplish, but she let loose and had a go at him.

- The ending, where it seems Reva is piecing together just who Leia (and "the boy") are, was a bit of good drama. It appears, despite being injured (but not killed) by Vader, she's made her way back to Tatooine, to the Lars homestead (it looked like her silhouette walking around the farm at night). Last shot of the episode was a sleeping Luke. Not sure if she's working with/for Vader anymore, trying to redeem herself (she was left for dead, "in the gutter, where we found you"), or she's out for herself. Vader knows now he can't trust her (and she tried to kill him), so I don't know if there's any coming back from that. She must be doing this for her own reasons. She now seems to realize who the kids belong to, so, to her, they're fair game?

- I may finally get my wish that things wind up back on Tatooine in the final episode. Obi-Wan seems to sense that Reva has put some things together about the identity of the twins.

- Stormtroopers truly can't shoot for shit. It seems they have to be about 4-5 feet from their target, and even then there's no real guarantee. You'll see...dozens of them, firing into a crowd of people and barely any of them were hit. Just a handful (lucky shots). I think these shows are all actively trolling/commenting on this bit of Star Wars lore, because in nearly every scene with these doofs, they can't hit anything they shoot at! Any other show/property, that rag-tag crowd of civilians and families would've been decimated by a halfway competent army. It was their good fortune that it was a squad of Imperial Stormtroopers they faced. 98% of them survived! The Rebellion, and all that came after, seems to be solely due to the Empire's inability to properly shoot/kill their adversaries on any sort of reliable, consistent basis. Somebody make a show about that.

- The weight of the world is on poor Obi-Wan. The man needs a break from Leia, Vader, Bail, Reva, etc.

- Those flashback scenes of Anakin and Obi-Wan appear to be set more in the timeframe of Attack of the Clones, as Obi-Wan still has that righteous mullet and Anakin has the shorter hair and braid he had in that movie. But even then, in the period before long-haired Anakin in Revenge fo the Sith, Obi-Wan seemed to have his number. Anakin's desire to win at all cost, to prove himself, the aggression and arrogance, etc. were all starting to appear in Obi-Wan's padawn. Looks like some digital de-aging work was done on both McGregor and Christensen in these sequences. Quite ballsy, in that it was full-on daylight/brightly-lit environs. This is Lucasfilm saying "if we can bring back ROTJ-era Luke Skywalker in a convincing way, we sure as hell can erase a few crow's feet around the eyes of actors playing younger versions of themselves!"

- Quite a bit of Hayden Christensen here, sans scar makeup, as both padawan Anakin and pre-armor Vader (in the Jedi temple, offing younglings).

- Probably the least Leia so far, but I was totally okay with it. Let the grown-ups play for a while. I swear, If Andor and Ahsoka wind up having a young and/or cute sidekick, out of nowhere, I’m gonna know these shows are working off a template.

- Based on all that seems cued up at this point - some sort of final showdown/encounter on Tatooine and maybe young Luke getting a minute or three of FaceTime after five episodes of wall-to-wall Leia - next week's finale will either be a nice, longer (55-minute?) episode, or deliberately planned/shot to end in some sort of cliffhanger because they knew all along that a second season was going to be part of it. I don't see how next week could be a 39-minute, unless they just really zoom through some stuff!

- It does appear Tatooine will bookend the series, so that's nice. No more planet-hopping to places that aren't Tatooine. At last!

- The audio in this episode seemed to be muffled or odd at times (the volume, clarity, etc.). I lie in bed and watch on my MacBook with my earbuds connected so I can get the full boomy sound (blasters, dialogue and all the good sound Star Wars is known for). But on about five occasions in this episode, primarily Bail's little hologram voicemail to Obi-Wan, I couldn’t clearly hear the exact words being said. Something about Tatooine. I've not had this issue on any of the other four installments.

Update/additional thoughts...

My concern I spoke about upthread may be unfolding. This show, like the Boba Fett one, seemed content to screw around/draw out for 2-3 episodes - meandering, taking detours, etc. - to where they've now got to cram in everything into two final episodes - well, one now. They teased the whole Reva thing in the opening seconds of the very first episode five weeks ago, and are only now coming back to it. And, frankly, in the time between they've done all they could to make me really not give a shit about the character.

As I talked about a few posts up, it's the writing on this show where any of my beefs lie. A lot of it just comes across like standard network fare - dragging things out, chain-yanking, endless teases that take forever, if ever, to pay off, really implausible scenarios and interactions between some characters, by-the-numbers plotting, etc. - and I find that so strange in a show that shouldn't have to be constrained by, or adhere to, any of that.

I think that's going to be my problem with streaming content in general. They're not bound by the traditional network definition of a "season". No 26 episodes, where 25% (or more) can get away with being filler or "a very special episode" or whatever. These streaming shows can set their own rules on that, but they still do the meandering, filler stuff, which I thought wouldn't be necessary. If you've got six episodes to tell a story about a particular character we're all fond of/invested in, and you proceed to screw around and waste time for a good two or more of those episodes, that's very frustrating.

And with all the other stuff tossed in - Inquistors, Leia, etc. - they've essentially made Obi-Wan a co-star in his own show. In my opinion, the man has not been front-and-center as you would think.

I wanted to love this show. As it is, I merely "like it okay". And it's 100% in the writing/plotting/pacing.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-15 at 10:39.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-15, 09:59

I REALLY hate reading the RSS feed titles on release days like this!

On the one hand I should get up like Paul does but on the other, I don't want to watch it without my kids and I'm not going to stick my head in the ground all day for EVERYTHING else to avoid spoilers.

I'm so glad we are using spoiler tags for now in this thread.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-15, 10:55

I’m doing my part. It’s a shame so-called “journalists” can’t exhibit an ounce of courtesy - and write better, non-spoiler headlines and opening paragraphs - mere hours after a show airs.

Inexcusable.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-15 at 11:07.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-16, 07:54

Got to watch it last night with my kids.
We enjoyed it and had fun little banters about the after it ended, but we weren't "wow'ed" like we were expecting. Really, if we were to be super transparent it is for the things you mentioned in your post addendum Paul.

I mean, watching Vader stop a ship and then rip the side out of it was cool to see. Not sure why Reva didn't strike him dead while that was happening. She waited until he was done and now able to focus on her.

As for Reva, at this point I have to think Obi-Wan takes her out. She might have power but she isn't a true Sith and isn't a master for sure. She was played by Obi-Wan once, he will do it again I'm sure.

Even still, we really enjoyed the series so far and are looking forward to the final episode.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-16, 11:29

Jess and I watched it last night and enjoyed it.

All I've got for now. Too mind-fogged to type.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-06-16, 14:28

Vader just can't show up on Tatooine in the finale. That would be insane. I assume Reva gets 'redeemed' as a callback to Episode 6, and she takes on the Grand Inquisitor whilst Kenobi takes on Vader again.

Both must lose, since everyone but Reva has to survive for SW canon to remain intact.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-16, 14:53

Yeah, I don’t think Reva’s quarrel is with Obi-wan at this point. But I bet she’d like to have a go at that other inquisitor guy.

BTW, still no Qui-Gon. They’ve teased that since the first episode as well, so there’s no way that doesn’t pay off in the finale.

Not sure what the hell this show is waiting on…
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-06-16, 14:58

I am going to fall off my chair laughing if Liam Neeson only shows up in a post-credit scene.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-16, 16:05

At this point, that almost wouldn’t surprise me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-20, 14:22

Any thoughts or predictions on the sixth, and final, episode of this serious (which hits in about 36 hours)?

I honestly don't know if they're going to play it cool and low-key, or go all-out with the fan-service/callbacks/cameos.

I think about how my every assumption of this show has been dead wrong, so that just tells me that whatever I'm thinking/expecting for episode #6 is just not in the cards.

I'm sure of really only one thing:

Liam Neeson got a paycheck from this show.

Beyond that, I truly have no idea. Which makes it kinda exciting, but when I look at some things from the previous five installments, I know I might need to brace myself for a bit "WTF?!" tomfoolery/rug-pulling.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-20 at 15:23.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-20, 15:34

We're going to get to see Obi-Wan light sabering with someone.

Leia is going to say something smarty-pants.

Vader will be angry enough to force-choke something.

There will be a cliff-hanger that sets up season 2 — which will be Liam Neeson.

The End.

Been entertaining and a good look into Obi-Wan's past in the desert ( ), but I would like to have seen more … something. Just not sure what that is.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-06-20, 15:43

As much as I'd love a full-on rematch with Vader, I don't think that's happening.

I assume Reva faces off with the Grand Inquisitor, and loses. Maybe her 'redemption' arc sees her rescue Obi-Wan.

Since Obi-the-wizard hung around for two decades to specifically protect Luke, maybe he should save the boy from something.

My big problem is that this thread has taken me out of the story.
I'm now heavily invested in Neeson being a no-show, just so that I can see Paul's post on Wednesday.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-20, 15:48

I think I’m safe. There’s no way they won’t follow through/make good on that one thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-21, 10:38

PS - I love Tuesdays.

Despite any misgivings or reservations about this show, I do look forward to it (the visuals and McGregor always deliver) and enjoy the whole "watching in bed on my MacBook, earbuds in, in the dead of night" aspect. I like getting everything done and squared away by Tuesday evening and then, this one night, I try to be in bed by 9pm so I can get 4-5 hours of sleep before I wake up at 2:55am. The whole thing has become a joyful ritual for me...busy day, good dinner (always tacos/Mexican on Tuesday, that's been a multi-year tradition I'll never break or tire of) and then early bedtime. And then a new Star Wars episode in the middle of the night, Jasper curled up beside me (my cat, for those who don't know).

I may feel differently come 4am, but that's just part of it all.

But the lead-up/build-up to it all (the entire day Tuesday, and that period between 6-9pm, is the fun part...the anticipation and wondering just how wrong/off I'm going to be this week, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-21 at 11:58.
¡Damned!

2022-06-21, 10:54

Besides the Neeson cameo, any feelings about another surprise appearance? Natalie Portman? Ian McDiarmid? Maybe the latter as a hologram?

I've enjoyed the series enough that I'll look forward to season 2. If it achieved anything, for me it really reinforces that last line in Leia's plea via R2 years later. That she trusted him and maybe she felt he was their last and only hope. I like that it established a relationship and history between them, that he's not just some crazy desert hobo that her Dad told her to look up.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-21, 12:06

True.

Regarding other cameos…anything is possible. I saw something online where someone pointed out that each five episodes of this show have mirrored/evoked the PT and OT in order, each one (episode one has parallels to The Phantom Menace and so on, right up through The Empire Strikes Back last week...certain settings, interactions, similarity in some sequences, bits of dialog, etc.). If there’s anything to any of that, then seeing Palpatine pop up in this finale would certainly parallel ROTJ, in which he played a pretty big part. I’ve kinda been wondering about that in recent weeks. Everyone (including me) is expecting Qui-Gon/Neeson, but it would be about like this show (and my piss-poor accuracy rating) for them to zig when we zag, and give us Palpatine instead. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, honestly!

EDIT: I typed all the above on my iPhone, several hours ago, foolishly not paying attention to the horrific "auto-correct" of late (and I should know better by this point). Just now re-read it from my Mac and noticed about 5-6 awful typos that make me look brain-damaged and/or sub-literate (I'm not denying either, but I can usually hide it much better ).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-21 at 14:54.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-21, 16:37

Leaked reports are already surfacing

Years-long fan speculation is finally confirmed via unexpected cameo: Darth Jar Jar was the puppet master the whole time.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-21, 16:44

Darth Jar Jar is so good at the deceptions that mezza certain hezza gonna make-a-da appearances, okkeeday?