AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi
Page 6 of 6 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-22, 03:14

Ah, a nice wrap up. Took the long way around the bend to finally get here, but I enjoyed it on several levels. Now I've got my Tuesday nights back again...nice.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
- Several nice ties to Episode IV...sweet moments between Obi-Wan and Leia, and their goodbye. Her little hologram from Artoo, 10 years later, makes sense/carries proper weight.

- Always good to see Jimmy Smits Star Wars-ing it up, and in that mode. He, along with McGregor, was one of the better parts of the prequels. A good character, played well.

- 709 called it above...Palpatine via hologram, and we now know why Obi-Wan wasn't pursued/hunted down in the 10 years between this show and Episode IV. Possibly a major tactical error, but it's Palpatine's call/fault (Vader certainly wanted to continue the search for his former master).

- Vader and Obi-Wan's rematch was pretty fun to watch. Obi-Wan was more of a full-tilt bad-ass than we've ever seen him, doing some pretty Force-y stuff.

- We finally get that Hayden-in-Vader-suit moment, after Obi-Wan damages/cracks Vader's helmet. Some good, chilling acting by Christensen, and pretty much making it clear to Obi-Wan that Anakin Skywalker is no more. Vader is all that is left, and Kenobi finally accepts it. Obi-Wan lays a solid beating on Vader, messing up his helmet, life support box, etc. He should've finished him off when he had the chance, but then episodes 4-6 would've been pretty pointless.

- Nice shots/scenes of the Lars homestead, and we finally saw Beru. Owen and Beru have some fight in them!

- Reva lives. I was not expecting that. If this show gets a second season, I assume she'll factor in somehow? Or maybe not. But she chooses the light, refusing to hurt/kill Luke when she could've easily done so. Nice scene between her and Obi-Wan.

- They literally waited until the final, closing seconds to give us Qui-Gon. Full-on Liam Neeson, blue and glowing. I knew it would happen.

- It's a good finale, and, if no more is to come, the series is wrapped up nicely. No real cliffhangers to speak of, nothing that can't wait until Episode IV. Luke is safe, Reva turns, Vader is done with Kenobi, Leia is back on Alderaan with her adopted parents (but wiser for all that's happened) and Obi-Wan has left his cave dwelling and we assume he's off to find a nicer house. Nothing that has to be tackled/addressed, should a second season not happen. And, frankly, I think it shouldn't. I believe these six episodes said all that needs to be said about this character in that period between episodes 3 and 4. This show had a definite beginning, middle and ending. Sometimes it's nice to just leave it there. Anything else would just almost have to be a ginned-up re-hash, as we now that Vader knows nothing of Luke, Reva is no longer a threat and Vader is no longer going to continue hunting for Kenobi. A second season would just seem to undo all that for the sake of just having a show. I don't think that's a good idea.

- That scene between Obi-Wan and Leia on Alderaan was very sweet and will resonate with fans of the OT.

- Oh, and we get the Imperial March after Palpatine signs off. Vader sitting alone in his throne room on Mustafar...

- No real complaints in this episode. It didn't jerk around or waste time, and wrapped-up/addressed everything that needed so in its 52-minute runtime. Certainly the most satisfying episode. How could it not be...everything finally gets resolved, explained or otherwise tied up.

- A decent show overall, with a few rough spots, but overall a solid 7-out-of-10 for me? Some of the writing, endless detours, etc. weren't my favorite. But Ewan McGregor, the Vader/Anakin scenes and the overall look/vibe were solid and enjoyable. I liked the show way more than I didn't, and it was better (to me) than The Book of Boba Fett. But I truly think they should just leave it alone now. Just let these six episodes stand in canon as something that happened between episodes 3 and 4, nothing more, nothing less. That's my .02 anyway...

Okay, I'm going back to sleep. Enough of this 3am shit...for a while.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-22, 12:57

I've not seen it yet, but I had a thought:

Darth Vader knows who Luke is.

Darth Vader does not know who Leia is.

Two lines: "I am your father" (Empire Strikes Back) and "Sister? So, you have a twin sister. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete!" (Return of the Jedi).

I think Obi-Wan is going to accidentally give up Luke's identity. Not his location, but his identity. Thus, the "failure" Darth Vader is referring to. It would then be Luke who gives up Leia's identity.

By the way, this kept me up half the night!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-22, 13:23

The only thing I have the slightest with (isn't huge, I suppose, but it seems a tad "easy" or underwhelming, big picture). Interesting to see what others here think after they watch, if they agree or not...

I've wondered, all along, how they're going to make it to where by the time Episode IV rolls around, Kenobi isn't on Vader's radar in the least...he's not still hunting for him, etc. So, because of that, I've thought that this series must've ended in such a way that Vader believed Kenobi was somehow dead (but then that opens up the whole "but he would still sense him in the Force, wouldn't he?" can of monkeys), so Vader no longer considers Kenobi a threat or is consumed with revenge/payback for that little "higher ground" stunt on Mustafar 10 years earlier.

As it turns out, none of that happened. Instead, Palpatine, of all people, kinda shuts down Vader's desire to pursue/destroy Obi-Wan, wondering aloud if Vader's mind was clear on the matter, and if his focus/obsession with Kenobi isn't weakening him.

I would've thought that anger, obsession and desire for revenge would've made Vader even stronger in the dark side, which would please Palpatine and make Vader an even better sidekick/enforcer.

Palpatine, as we saw in all three prequel entries (and, I assume, in those animated Clone Wars shows), is more than aware of Obi-Wan Kenobi...his powers, skills, allegiances, selflessness, etc. and surely would consider him a major threat/pain-in-the-butt if left alive. I just find it odd that Palpatine would put the leash on Vader, being okay with Kenobi besting Vader and still being out there somewhere.

That's the only thing in this episode that kinda jumped out at me, and as a bit of an easy, out-of-nowhere fix/solution to the question that I've chewed on for the past 5-6 weeks. That didn't seem to be a very Palpatine response. I assumed he would've rubbed his hands together maniacally while hissing orders to Vader to "hunt down your former master, once and for all. Kenobi must be shown no mercy!" or whatever.

But then that wouldn’t have tied in to Episode IV, where Vader and the Empire were clearly not thinking about/pursuing Kenobi.

As I said in my previous post, that's going to come back as a pretty bad miscalculation on Palpatine's part. It's because Obi-Wan was left alone (and lived another 10 years) that all the events of A New Hope, and beyond, came to be.

"Oops...it was I who made such a foolish error, and not foreseeing all that was to come as a result! Hey, we all have our off days...".

One of the takeaways from this show, then, is that Palpatine is a bit of a chump, and actually played a not-insignificant part in the fall of the Empire!

Other than that one little nugget, it was a good episode and I enjoyed it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-22 at 14:16.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-06-22, 14:15

Okay people, sit down for an early Festivus, because I have grievances I need to air.

First of all, let me say the acting was superb, from McGregor to Christensen to most of the others, including Reva.
But there are some issues with the story.

How does a wreck of a Jedi, a decade out of practice, accomplish what Kenobi did in the finale?

It was extremely cool to see Kenobi savagely beat Vader and destroy his armour.
But he’s not supposed to be able to do that.

I thought the standing canon was that Vader’s force powers were greatly increased by his armour.
He’s supposed to be so fierce that he takes on two or three Jedi at a time and beat them easily.

Instead, we have Kenobi being so driven by his love for Vader’s kids (?) that he overpowers him handily.

Did the same guys who made Rey an epic untrained force-wielder have a hand in this?

And I agree with Paul, Kenobi needed to be presumed dead. The Empire just can’t let him roam the galaxy.
It’s now canon that he’s completely bested Vader twice! He could go off and start his own Jedi school.

In the first battle (by the way, having them repeat the lines from the first fight was terrific) Kenobi was supposed to be seriously outmatched, and only won the battle by exploiting Anakin’s pride and headstrong nature.

So how’d he win against a full-strength, actually extra-strength, armoured Vader this time?

At this point, forget Luke, Leia and Yoda. Just suit up Kenobi and send him after Palpatine. The man cannot lose.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-22, 14:37

Yeah...

It just doesn't seem, from all we've seen and know over the decades, to be the nature of either man, Vader or Palpatine, to just let things go like that. And especially someone as powerful as Obi-Wan Kenobi. I understand Vader has to obey his master, but how/why is Palpatine so okay with someone like Obi-Wan roaming loose in the galaxy? Because in the decade before anyone's ever even heard of Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi would surely have to be seen as "public enemy #1" in the eyes of the Empire, right?

"He beat your ass, Lord Vader. Again, I might add. But let it go, and let's just move on..." just feels so...off and at odds with how we've seen both act over the decades. Those guys live for revenge and destroying their enemies, and they're going to let one of the most capable, threatening ones go free?!

Nah...

Vader or Palpatine wouldn't be satisfied until someone like Kenobi was dead and in no position to show up years later and shut down a tractor beam or something...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-22, 15:00

I haven't watched it yet but I'm really looking forward to it later tonight.
I'm positive that Ben, Luke, Leia and Vader will survive.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-22, 15:23

Good call.
Quagmire
meh

2022-06-22, 16:01

Ok I get it they had to preserve Episode 4-6 timeline and all, but still agitates me a bit Obi Wan just leaves Darth alive..... AGAIN. Have the fight be interrupted, forcing Obi Wan to retreat, but yeah just leave Vader alive to still cause havoc to the galaxy. Like WTF Obi Wan

giggity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-22, 20:47

I watched it and enjoyed it completely. I've not read the other replies yet so I'm just gonna share a little of what we enjoyed.
Watching Obi-Wan head off was exactly what I expected. What I didn't expect was Vader to fly solo. Not a single support trooper.

Reva flipping sides was to be expected, though I don't know her story. I know there is a story for her, just no idea what it is.

Seeing Vader's exposed face was awesome. I think that part actually went well, though I still go back to why didn't Obi-Wan kill him then. It wouldn't have been out of anger and as a Jedi, stopping the Sith isn't just by locking them in a jail. Trial isn't going to happen and there is no council to determine his fate. Of course, we know there is Vader for the "future" movies, but Obi-Wan doesn't know that at this point in the series.

Seeing Qui-Gon was a perfect fan service. We all wanted it and we got it. Obi-Wan pulled his big boy pants on and took care of things like he would have before Oder 66.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-22, 22:28

Hello there.

That was a delight.
No second season of Kenobi, please.
Vader? Oh yes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-23, 07:38

For Vader getting his butt handed to him, that does fit the canon nicely really IMO. While I would expect Palpatine to allow the search to continue for Obi-Wan, it does. I'm sure Vader doesn't disband the Inquisitors. Those guys are surely going to keep an eye out for Obi-Wan. While Vader will be managing the Empire, he isn't likely to just give up completely. He never fully listened to to council while in Jedi training, he isn't likely to fully listen to Palpatine now that he's a Sith.

As for the beat down from Obi-Wan, he is really about the only one who can truly take out Vader over any other. He spent YEARS with Anakin by his side, training together. Those duel scenes in trainer were a reminder of this. Yeah, it is from Clone Wars more than the movies, but in the line, Ahsoka would be a close #2 to be able to beat him since she was Anakin's Padawan.

For Vader's "armor", I've never heard of it being actual armor, more a suit and life-support than armor. I'm open to it being armor, but that almost makes you think his pride would get in the way of needing "protection"

I'm interested in a second season. I'm really hoping they do it in a way that isn't just slow dragging stories that aren't needed, but maybe we get more from the Inquisitors, Ahsoka, that kind of thing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-23, 08:40

I had two favorite shots:

- The half-lit Star Destroyer, shot from the front while chasing the ships, was very TESB in the camera angle, lighting (pursuing the Falcon from Hoth)

- Vader at the ramp of his shuttle. Looked great, him just standing there.

Also, re: Vader…this is the first time, live-action, we saw him and his suit get messed up (not counting the last time, the end of ROTJ). I’d always read that his suit/helmet wasn’t the most up-to-date tech/version available, a decision by the emperor to always have Vader in some sort of pain/discomfort, and easier to control, etc.

So when Obi-Wan cracked his helmet and bashed his chest box regulator thingie, nobody did any sort of “mark 2” improvement, like a Marvel or Batman movie surely would’ve done.

They repaired him with OEM parts of the same less-than shit he already had. I find that both hilarious and a little sad.

“Your highness, we can actually upgrade his helmet and other damaged components to the latest versions …”.

“Nah…give him what he had. I checked the catalog, they’re still available. Plus, I’ll pay a smaller deductible; tell him the new stuff is backordered….”.

In some alternate Star Wars universe, Vader’s suit/armor/helmet go through little tweaks and improvements as the years go by. Then all the neckbeards could collect the various figures and nerd-fight over which is the coolest.

“The mk 4 armor from 3BBY was the best!”

“Nah, the seventh version - with the red chrome accents and glider cape - from ROTJ is the one!”

“Both of you are wrong…the dark red one, without the cape, he wore in Rogue One was the best of all! It had a jet pack, for crying out loud…hellooo?!”

“Nobody likes the all-white Hoth landing party ensemble - with the integrated snowshoes! - from ‘Empire’?”

Thank goodness they didn’t go that route. It might’ve gotten a little stupid.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-23 at 09:03.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-23, 08:43

So true
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-28, 08:35

Apparently Obi-Wan was pitched as a three part movie series. [Gizmodo]

So now they are planning a three season show instead? How interesting. They mentioned Darth Maul in the article and while I always though he was killed by Obi-Wan, he wasn't! Maul lived through it and hunted Obi-Wan afterward. (Clone Wars Season 4 Ep 21 & 22. So do we see Maul again in the series with McGregor?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-28, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Apparently Obi-Wan was pitched as a three part movie series. [Gizmodo]

So now they are planning a three season show instead? How interesting. They mentioned Darth Maul in the article and while I always though he was killed by Obi-Wan, he wasn't! Maul lived through it and hunted Obi-Wan afterward. (Clone Wars Season 4 Ep 21 & 22. So do we see Maul again in the series with McGregor?
Darth Maul spoiler:

Darth Maul was killed by Obi-Wan in Star Wars Rebels; Season 3; Twin Suns.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-28, 12:12

I shouldn't have looked at the spoiler.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-28, 12:53

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-24, 12:48

Obi-Wan documentary. This looks like it will be fun.