Current State of Trump®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Current State of Trump®
Page 3 of 18 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-10, 20:35

I'm with Ken on this one. We are taught to laugh about it. While anyone reading this may say, As Brad did, that they weren't then that would mean they have never watch a crime show or movie in their life. Just like the Navy never told me to go into insane debt to have a cool ride (vehicle) and yet there are most sailors in total debt.

We are all taught to point and laugh at the assumed guilt over pleading the fifth.

If you are in the hotseat though, now it is a different picture.

Personally, I've learned to say nothing. As a Master-At-Arms (collateral duty) while in the Navy I did, in fact, use everything they said or did against them in the charges brought against the accused. EVERYTHING.

In the case of Trump saying nothing, I'm sure he have very well paid lawyers who are weighing the cost of him saying nothing. I'm sure it is still way better than every word, pause, reword, etc... being twisted against him.

Haven't y'all watch My Cousin Vinny?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-08-10, 22:06

Several years back, our supposedly non-partisan Elections Canada raided the Conservative Party headquarters.

They brought the Liberal-friendly media in tow, and were said to be looking for materials related to 2006 campaign finance violations.

Of course, the hard drives they seized in April 2008 would also have contained a lot of the party's campaign planning for the general election to be held six months later.

Washington insiders are desperate to beat Trump, the polls are against them, and everything they do loses them ground.

Desperate times can lead to desperate measures.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-11, 05:46

That’s not what this is about.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-11, 07:01

As someone who thinks that Trump should be put under the jail, I agree that we do laugh about the Fifth being a cop out.

Only last month, I was treated to multiple late-night roastings of General Whatshisface as he repeatedly pleaded the Fifth - even over the question "Do you believe in the peaceful transfer of power?".

I gasped. I laughed. I felt angry at his obvious guilt.

¡Damned!

2022-08-11, 08:27

"Notably, Trump — after a fierce campaign against Clinton in which he called for her to be jailed for her handling of classified material — signed a law in 2018 that stiffened the penalty for the unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents from one year to five years, turning it into a felony offense."

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-08-11, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Desperate times can lead to desperate measures.
What’s happening to Trump is not like that at all, but hey whatever floats your boat.

Thankfully this comment you made covers the conspiracy theories/ramblings in your post well. Got news for you, nobody has to steal data from the Conservative party of Canada to beat them in an election, their out of date ideas, and far right wing views do that already. And if you think I’m anti-conservative, I voted for Harper multiple times. Cannot vote for them now, given the way the party is headed. I doubt the party will survive after the next election anyway, it’s too divided.
¡Damned!

2022-08-11, 11:27

** That Didn't Take Long News **

FBI: Armed subject attempting to breach Cincinnati FBI office leads to pursuit, police situation

Great job Fox News, GQP loudmouths, CPAC crazies et al.

[edit]: 12 Aug update: Killed. MAGA guy, Jan 6th participant. quelle surprise

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2022-08-12 at 08:07. Reason: update
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-11, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
** That Didn't Take Long News **

FBI: Armed subject attempting to breach Cincinnati FBI office leads to pursuit, police situation

Great job Fox News, GQP loudmouths, CPAC crazies et al.

Not to go too far into the political deep end here, actual conversation you know, but what about Antifa and BLM literally destroying parts of cities in their "peaceful protests" and acting as though the media isn't fanning the flame?

Personally I think both extremes are wrong here, but the major far left and far right leaders have weaponized their extreme idiots.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2022-08-11, 13:26

Both sides are not the same. There's no whataboutism or one-to-one comparison based in reality.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-08-11, 13:30

Quote:
Both sides are not the same. There's no whataboutism or one-to-one comparison based in reality.
If what science tells us is true, reality isn’t what individuals tend to experience, so for many people that would be tough to figure out.
¡Damned!

2022-08-11, 14:11

Quote:
The warrant will leak (or Trump could just release it) soon enough.
Or the AG will unseal it (or at least ask for it to be).... interesting. I wonder if Trump will try to block it.

Last edited by 709 : 2022-08-11 at 15:05. Reason: link
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-11, 23:27

With regard to the former President, someone in the inner circle ratted him out for hanging onto classified documents about nuclear stuff??!!

Jeez.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-12, 07:23

Maintaining Nuclear documents at this home would be bad. Really bad. If that is actually what happened it is kinda hard to get around how bad that is. Might also explain what the Chinese woman was trying to break into his home a while back (2019).

¡Damned!

2022-08-12, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Maintaining Nuclear documents at this home would be bad. Really bad. If that is actually what happened it is kinda hard to get around how bad that is. Might also explain what the Chinese woman was trying to break into his home a while back (2019).
Not just 'a coup to overthrow a government and install an autocrat' bad, but actual espionage bad. Rosenberg bad. Gonna have to wait to see some more reporting on this, but yowzers. If he was selling any info to the Saudis....

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2022-08-12, 08:10

Mebbe we should move the Trump stuff to a new thread? Seems like a lot more news like this will be coming out and it'll probably turn some people off.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-12, 10:58

A bunch of Trump stuff has been moved over here. Also, I made a minor adjustment to the thread name to bring it inline with it's general discussion topic.

Have fun.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-12, 12:06

Seeing this thread be revived with a new name I had to see where it started. Found this post by me early on and realized that I still stand by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I have to say, though I am conservative and voted that way, I'm appalled by the actions and inactions of Trump. I can't believe we have been able to sit and watch the mob run through the Capitol and spit on America that way. That is not the actions of people trying to do the right thing or even stand up for truth. That was nothing more than a mob of whining and crying idiots. Hopefully those who broke the law will be held accountable.

It is truly saddening to see the honorable places in our country's governance be disgraced like this. I grew up in the DC area and have always had a very high respect for the buildings and those who worked in them even when I disagree with them politically speaking. I chose to support and defend our Constitution out of that same respect. I cannot believe the level of disrespect that is happening.

I also don't have all the facts, just media/blogs and they can only be trusted so much. There is more than enough, though, to show that it was truly a sad day for America.
Nice to see those who broke the law are being held accountable. I think the longest prison term so far is 7.5 years though I haven't really been following this. I do know, hopefully others will know not to do this again in the future, that is unless we are actually overthrowing a tyrannical government like the Constitution allows and requires.

¡Damned!

2022-08-12, 14:22

So Team Trump leaked the docs to Breitbart and WSJ before the 3:00 deadline, presumably so they could dox the FBI agents involved (DOJ docs have names redacted).

Warrant pursues evidence for three statues: 18 USC 793, 2071 and 1519. Espionage Act offense, theft of government records, destroying or mutilating government records (obstruction), respectively.

Two Scoops might be in a bit of trouble. 🤷

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2022-08-12 at 14:38.
Anonymous Coward

2022-08-13, 20:31

I didn't realize that former President Trump was still such a big deal. I generally avoid the major news networks since their headlines are so sensationalized and often misleading clickbait, and also the news compilers (Google and Yahoo) because they tend to repeat the same stories that someone must think are important multiple times on the same page.

Anyway, I heard about the insurrection news and the recent raid on his home on the BBC, but other than that, both BBC and Reuters, from what I have seen, have been quiet about other things. It was only when I read about the passing of Judith Durham that I looked elsewhere to see what kind of tributes had been posted (apparently this was not big news outside the UK and Australia, and even there was overshadowed by passing of Olivia Newton-John). Even if you do not know the name Judith Durham, you would immediately recognize her strong, clear voice. I looked on Yahoo news, and saw many stories about Trump supported candidates and Trump supported initiatives.

Even as a Republican, I had realized that former President Trump was still considered to be influential. (Of course, I might be on their blacklist due to an incident I mentioned elsewhere when I was not supportive to a telephone solicitation.) From my observations and point of view, he would have been defeated in a landslide (both initially and for reelection) if the Democrats had not chosen the absolute weakest opposing candidates. But I guess both major parties are more personality cults than platform based. (I mean, I know all Republicans are evil, stupid, uneducated Trump worshipers intent on destroying the planet and suppressing human rights. At least that's what I read constantly on the Ars Technica forums, which are pretty much the only other site I follow regularly (besides the BBC, of course, since they always have fascinating articles on worldwide culture, foods, and points of interest).

I had initially thought that all the insurrection related proceedings were just more of the winners writing/rewriting history. I mean, does anyone really believe that a single event that took place over just a couple of days in one location would be capable of toppling the government and starting a civil war? Do we really think so little of the American governmental system and separation of powers? Yes, it was traumatic for those involved, but no more than the weeks and months of city areas being taken over by lawless protest groups. But reading reports that former President Trump had encouraged insurrection are troubling. I understand some of the questions about election integrity, given that Democrats (not prominent Democratic leaders, but individuals supporting the Democratic party) were in the news encouraging means to win elections (not necessarily presidential) such as moving to other states and skirting voting requirements. Were those just Republican lies? I don't remember that those reports were restricted to right or left leaning news sites. Whether or not there was any amount of election fraud, it would do well to unify the country if both parties would agree to some sort of independent investigation, but the refusal to even consider this probably polarizing.

I must say that at one time, former President Trump's candidacy seemed somewhat appealing. I mean, someone not a politician who seemed more transparent in his thought process merited consideration over political royalty. Even my elderly, Democrat registered, former history teacher Mother favored him. But that was before he actually became a politician and over-sharing is just as bad as not communicating. I can't believe that he still has supporters and is actually considering another Presidential run, effectively cementing all the preconceptions about Republicans and ensuring there will be no new leadership or platform reform.

Becoming a party line Democrat is not an option, because no matter how good they seem, if politicians are involved, there are most likely ulterior motives. Being a party line Republican is definitely not an option, especially if their supporters label everything as Trump supported or Trump approved. I can't believe that a majority of people would support a 100% party line, but I guess politics is treated like the law, black and white. Kind of like religion, where if you don't believe everything you are suppored to, you aren't considered to be a member.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-21, 05:57

Politico posted a round table discussion between historians who specialize in politically-motivated seizures of power, as they attempt to assign the correct term to what happened in Washington on January 6th using the lens of history.

Ask the ‘Coupologists’: Just What Was Jan. 6 Anyway?
I learned a lot.

¡Damned!

2022-08-26, 12:15

Redacted search affidavit has been released, per judge's order.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-26, 13:49

Quote:
Shortly after the affidavit was released on Friday, Trump made an emotional statement on his Truth Social media account, referring to the search as "the Break-In of my home."
…which by all accounts happened peacefully while multiple Trump attorneys were present.

…and likely wouldn't have happened if he'd complied with NARA requests from more than a year ago.

…or if his attorneys didn't lie to FBI and DOJ investigators when asked for the remaining classified materials back in June.

…or, I dunno, if maybe he didn't steal dozens of boxes full of government property in the first place.

Turd continues to make a stink to rile up his cult. Feign surprise.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-26, 16:50

I personally am totally shocked by his performance response.
¡Damned!

2022-08-31, 07:37

Late night DOJ response to Trump's team wanting to appoint a 'special master' included this amazing photo taken during the search:

Remember, this search was after Trump and his lawyers penned a sworn certification that all records had been turned over in June (the 15 previous boxes).

From the DOJ response:

Quote:
That the FBI, in a matter of hours, recovered twice as many documents with classification markings as the ‘diligent search’ that the former President’s counsel and other representatives had weeks to perform calls into serious question the representations made in the June 3 certification and casts doubt on the extent of cooperation in this matter.
Quote:
The government also developed evidence that government records were likely concealed and removed from the Storage Room and that efforts were likely taken to obstruct the government’s investigation.
Quote:
In some instances, even the FBI counterintelligence personnel and DOJ attorneys conducting the review required additional clearances before they were permitted to review certain documents.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-31, 07:49

That is not looking good for Trump. It will be interesting to see how this actually pans out.
¡Damned!

2022-08-31, 08:22

And to top it all off he most likely picked out that carpet himself. Like, "this pattern is perfect for my stolen top secret documents room".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-31, 08:23

That carpet reminds me of what I would see in a conference room of a hotel.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-31, 08:49

He needs to go to jail, along with some of the members of his administration. His spineless supporters on the right try to downplay it as just another case of "Trump being Trump", but this line of apology has to stop. He's not just crass, and his failings aren't merely a matter of taste. He's a sociopath who hides his sins in broad daylight by showing no trace of remorse. The dangerous vector of his talent as a salesman and inherited power/privilege is his ability to convince others that because he suffers no compunction, there is in essence nothing to see, that someone who acts as he does can't possibly be hiding anything, that he hasn't swindled anyone because if you really listened, he was telling you all along that's what he was doing. Some don't see through it, and others don't want to for their own reasons, but it's always there. It's his most reliable trait, manifest this time as a question about his entitlement to the very documents in question. He hides much this way, and it isn't "just" a personality trait.

If we consider the reason for the this particular theft, the obvious conclusion is an intent to commit treason. The information is useless to him unless he intends to use it to pressure agents of the state or otherwise compromise them for personal gain. And we all know he's not above that...

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-08-31, 09:23

The most baffling (not really) response came from the House Judiciary GOP Twitter account

Quote:
That TIME Magazine cover was huge threat to national security. 🙄
Like, yeah, just breeze right over the rest of the top secret documents on the floor there....

If this was literally any other person in the world, they'd be arrested already. I really hope this man goes to jail for a long time. Amazing that this is what will/should finally bring him down.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
¡Damned!

2022-08-31, 09:28

Jeez Matsu...

yes, it's real, and it's glorious