AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The CES 2023 Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The CES 2023 Thread
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-01-02, 23:10

The original plan was to start the regular 2023 Mac Predictions thread. But since Apple is apparently taking some time to work on itself, I figured we might as well discuss hardware releases that have at least reached the vapourware stage.

Samsung seems to have kicked things off in fine fashion with the announcement of the Viewfinity S9. Pending pricing details, it's a 27-inch Studio Display for the rest of us. It's got a 5K display and a 4K webcam.

While I'm sure people will make smart alec remarks about Samsung copying Apple, the fact is that this display seems to be aimed squarely at MacOS creatives on a budget. So it makes sense for the display to complement Apple's Mac hardware. If it had Windows PC design language, we'd be ragging on them for disrespecting us.

If it's $500 less that the Studio Display, it's an automatic win. If the screen pivots, it's better than the Studio Display.

See anything else interesting previewed at CES this year? Post it here!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-01-03, 04:14

$1100 would still be way too much for a monitor, but good to see some competition.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-03, 08:21

$1100 isn't really too much for a color-accurate, wide gamut, standalone Retina class display with adequate dimming control. I call them "reference-ish" displays. Remains to be seen if the Samsung has all those things in real life and not just on the spec sheet, but if it does...

It's probably 8bit+FRC like Apple's 27". Not the very best, but in practice this works well enough if the dimming control on the backlight is a good one.

The other spec to see for yourself before you buy is the screen coating. Some matte screens wash out or sparkle depending. Apple's standard coatings are very good and though glossy, strike a nice balance that can be preferable in some most(?) cases - they can look rather brilliant soft proofing photographs, for instance. If it's not optimal, it most likely would affect how contrast is perceived.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-01-03 at 09:27.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-01-03, 08:55

People have different priorities, but I imagine the biggest reason people are interested in the Apple Studio Display is that it's basically the only external display with a Retina resolution.

Like, if there were a 21.5-inch display with 4K you could buy, or a 24-inch display with 4.5K, and either of those would be $500-ish, I think Apple would be selling far fewer Studio Displays.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-03, 10:50

True. While I think Retina is fantastic for soft proofing photos, I'm not sure I would even go for it otherwise. I guess MacOS also has to contend with resolution scaling/gain issue if you're using multiple displays, and maybe that is an issue mainly for people using iMacs. When I use a laptop I generally don't care about mismatched ppi since I usually set up the displays for different things or ignore the laptop display altogether outside of outlook/teams...

On a new machine, I'd be tempted to go for a dual 4K set-up but up the screen size to a 30-32" range, desk permitting. My eyes ain't what they used to be.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-01-03, 22:55

I saw a consumer projector from Samsung that is shaped like a can. The reviewers seemed to dig it. I really miss the first incarnation of Engadget, back during the era of single-purpose blogging sites. I would haunt that site looking for the latest updates.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-04, 09:05

A couple of outlets have reported on Dell's new 6K 32" (31.5") IPS display. It's a different panel than Apple's, ever so slightly different resolution (and PPI), and maxes out at 600nits. Seems interesting this. Dell killed their 5K panels some time ago, and has been reducing the price on their flawed 8K panel for some time, sells for about $4,000 now...

Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-01-04, 19:20

I feel like CES needs to have a follow-up show in March, so we can get the pricing for everything announced in January.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-05, 10:37

Yeah. I saw this wireless TV that looks amazing but I'm near 100% positive it will not make my budget.

Seeing Qi2 becoming a standard and Apple "sharing" MagSafe2 is interesting news.

I'm also pretty excited to see more Matter support getting pushed out there. This will be huge for privacy with the automation of your home.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2023-01-06, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I feel like CES needs to have a follow-up show in March, so we can get the pricing for everything announced in January.
Absolutely. I'm really curious what the pricing will be like on the ViewFinity and UltraSharp monitors mentioned above will be. The Dell's look is kinda bland per usual, but I've found them to be reliable. Not in the market for anything at the moment, but definitely keeping an eye on these. Other than the vaporware auto designs I haven't found anything to really drool over this year.

I still can't decide whether Lenovo's Yoga Book 9i is great or ridiculous.

So it goes.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-06, 15:40

This is probably just a little niche, but I have wanted to do some lighting and audio as part of a backyard reno. Pre-pandemic, I'd seen a number of installers charging stupid money for outdoor lighting design and installation. I don't begrudge them their businesses, and actually the good outdoor lighting bits can be a pricey, but as a bit of a DIY addict, I'm curious about what if any new consumer products could make that task easier. I'm thinking layers of dim, warmish, lighting at different heights and spreads, some accents, just enough light to sit out late evening without disturbing people, and ambience a bit like firelight, but in swaths and pools across about 2000 sq ft of yard.

For the audio, ideally, it'd be nice if there were a way to get backyard audio implemented where there is a bit of volume to it, but at the same time that it's somehow confined (focused?) to the yard? Some trick of speaker placements where the noise just doesn't carry too far outside the proscribed area? One option I can think of is to place multiple outdoor speakers in the beds in a way that sound radiates freely into the yard from the ground level, but is somewhat muffled by mounds and greenery where it would otherwise project out of the yard, and I wonder if some of the work that's done with sound projectors can be applied to "confine" the audio in such a way that it's a bit louder than one would expect when in the sweet spot, but lower than expected when one is not.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-01-06, 15:47

An audio setup to do what you are describing would cost as much as a truck.

Speaking of vehicles, EVs seem to be taking over CES this year.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-06, 18:14

I wonder how much a brace of ultrasonic speakers cost? And if they would work to produce a "wash" with little spill outside the defined area, as opposed to concentrated "spot".

Now I'm not thinking Millenium Park levels of sonic distribution... but Yamaha suggests you could use a pergola or trellis to focus the sound a bit using just some regular outdoor speakers, smart placement, and some audio processing, here. Again, not trying to contain a rock concert without disturbing the neighbours, but maybe being able to play a bit above ambient noise and have it more or less unobtrusive to them. The weakness I see in what Yamaha is suggesting here is the height would clear a lot of obstacles and help the sound reflect around and "carry"...

What I was thinking is a bit more like the audio that winds through a theme park using in ground speakers though. Many are designed to distribute sound rather than focus it, but there are also directional models, four to six of them, or so, strategically placed, could play at an enjoyable level in the yard, while using the flower beds and back yard structures to muffle what spills out of the yard...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-01-08, 01:03

Outdoor speakers and not disturbing the neighbours just doesn't seem doable with cheap consumer speakers on a smallish urban lot. In ground speakers point upward to the listener, so that isn't going to help. Thus Yamaha's suggestion to have the speakers pointed down towards the listening area.

Your best bet is to, as you thought, use plants and obstacles to reduce the inevitable annoyance to anyone next door. I say inevitable, because clients I have that are on multi-acre plots have those kinds of speakers and you can still hear them an acre away even at modest levels for comfortable outdoor listening. Things like dense leafy evergreen shrubs would help, and an ugly brick wall with sound dampening materials. Avoid hard surfaces, on the ground, that will reflect the sound outward. Grass, or mats that will absorb, rather than reflect the sound would help as well.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-01-09, 06:30

I'm a little lucky, I have neighbours to the left and right, blocked off by 6 ft wooden fence, and the yard opens to park at the back, which only has a chain-link at the moment. My plan was to over-grow it with plantings. I'll need to experiment a little. We might do OK simply pointing a brace of speakers towards the park, mounted on the rear wall of the house, at seated ear level, so that the perimeter and rear plantings/fences provide some muffling...

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-01-09 at 09:28.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-02-24, 17:49

Almost 2 months since the Samsung Viewfinity S9 was announced, and we still have no information on pricing or availability.

camilasaunder89

2023-03-22, 07:13

I liked the Always Home Cam. Its cost is around $250. It allows you to give a vision of any room you like. It charges itself when the battery is low.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-05-02, 22:39

I often give Apple grief about messing up the desktop market - emasculating the iMac, raising the cost of RAM and SSD upgrades, making the Pro a millionaire machine etc.

But let's remember Samsung tonight. A company that showed an affordable monitor for Mac users in the very first week of the year,
and then went completely silent for the next FOUR months.

No price, no delivery date, nothing.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-05-03, 11:59

Dell hasn't offered an update on its 32" 6K proposal either...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-05-03, 14:34

Wouldn’t be the first time a CES product was DOA or took a year or more to come to the market. With computer sales tanking, it’s no surprise that companies are slowing down, or abandoning things they see a niche.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-05-04, 07:07

I wonder if this stuff - and people's desire/interesting in paying big money for it - has peaked? I know I struggle to get excited about any of it (M2, M3, AR/VR headsets, new iPhones, occasional ever-more-expensive iPads, chintzy spec tweaks with new releases, BTO pricing and just the general, overall feeling of something/stuff I've been into so heavily for two-plus decades now just all kinda comes across like rich people toys that guys like me no longer get access to. It just feels like all this stuff has passed me by and regular twerps aren't their preferred customer, despite all the Macs and iStuff I've bought from them since 1994.

Oh well. Nothing lasts forever. Not about to get sentimental and overwrought over a bunch of plastic and aluminum. If my current Mac and iPhone are the last ones I own, so be it. There's fun in that too. I hate buying new stuff anyway.
chucker

2023-05-04, 07:17

There's nothing hype-y about "I just want an external display with almost the quality level as the internal display", though. It's kind of ridiculous that this is, so many years in, still a thing that needs discussing. It should be the opposite way: the laptop, not having a lot of room to spare, should have a worse display.

Instead, Apple puts high-DPI in even their cheapest laptop, and mini-LED and HDR in their Pro laptops, but to any of that, you have to spend several times what most people would spend on a display.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-05-04, 17:40

Tech always improves, but sometimes it doesn't matter any more...

Thanks to age, kids, and COVID in no particular order, I no longer try to earn any extra mad-money with my cameras. My newest camera is 10 years old, may main Mac is 10 years old, I'm still rocking an academic license for CS6 despite Adobe (and to some extent Apple) trying to obsolete all my software...

Newer cameras have some more bells and whistles but don't really offer any "more" of the qualities I'm looking... Unless I start routinely printing images over 3-4 feet wide, there just isn't any benefit, and even then, it's slim...

The photos I still make are all for my own projects/interest/sanity, but someone making stills could easily grab any mid level DSLR and a few lenses from the last decade plus and easily put up work the equal of someone rocking the latest and greatest.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-04, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
...Oh well. Nothing lasts forever. Not about to get sentimental and overwrought over a bunch of plastic and aluminum.
I am currently fascinated by how my own interests have changed. How dinner in the 4 o'clock hour seems like a brilliant plan. How little desire I have to go out to do stuff unless there will be friends in attendance.

There is some sort of shift (like blue/red) that has been modifying my world.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-05-05, 10:51

Aging. It's called aging.
¡Damned!

2023-05-24, 08:32

The M-Series monitors from the original article were introduced yesterday, so the S9 pricing and availability should be happening aaaany day now.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-05-24, 20:00

It's like these people don't even utilize basic business skills anymore.

If when they had shown it in January, they had said "coming in the second half of 2023", it would have been perfectly fine.
If the Viewfinity S9 was ready a few weeks early, Samsung would get kudos for underpromising and overdelivering.

Instead, they show a monitor that looks almost-ready-for-primetime, and then leave everyone hanging for six months.

At this point, I hope LG has an upgrade to the Ultrafine 5K that competes well with the S9. I'll buy that instead.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-06-09, 11:16

I kinda forgot about the S9, had to look it up again. Seems impressive. There's a chance it could cost just as much as the Apple Studio Display...
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-06-13, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I kinda forgot about the S9, had to look it up again. Seems impressive. There's a chance it could cost just as much as the Apple Studio Display...
Maybe that's the real reason for the delay...
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-06-14, 06:47

If you're not matching up to another retina display where you're worried about mismatched PPI, I'd consider moving away from 5K altogether. Maybe the sweet spot is in wide gamut 10 bit 32" 4K displays? Just sit a bit farther back.