Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Fastest Way to Convert MOVs from iOS 13.1 to MPG4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fastest Way to Convert MOVs from iOS 13.1 to MPG4
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-07, 15:03

I'm at a bridge point in my technology between my 6 year old Macbook Pro on (low) Sierra and the Future.

I have some videos recorded on an iPhone running iOS 13.1 and the video files it is making won't open in Sierra.

What's the fastest way to convert them all?

I'm going to try it in Handbrake for now.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2020-09-07 at 15:18.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-09-07, 17:36

Handbrake gets my vote if you really want to convert them, but you might be better off using a different player, assuming you're just trying to use Sierra's built-in QuickTime Player. VLC or mpv (mac download) can play pretty much any format from the last ~15 years. I also am locked to 10.12 Sierra on my old Hackintosh, and those two apps continue to work wonders for me.

If you can open one of these videos in VLC or mpv, take a look at the codec info they may provide for one of the videos. In VLC, press cmd-i and check the Codec Details. In mpv, press i and look under Video. A video I recorded from my old iPhone 6s running iOS 13.6.1 appears to have encoded with "H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)" according to VLC (basically the same in mpv). That should be a pretty future-proof format.

Does yours show something different? If it mentions anything with "H265" or "HEVC", which might be the case for video recorded from newer iPhones, you probably don't want to transcode the files again with Handbrake unless you really need to use them with QuickTime Player or other older software. HEVC/H265 is the next major iteration after MP4/H264 that offers better compression and reduced file size. It should also be a pretty future-proof format, and plenty of open-source libraries and players have implemented it too (despite likely being very patent-encumbered).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-07, 22:18

Ahoy, fellow stability seeker!

In addition to the built in QT Player I actually own a now ancient version of QuickTime Player 7 (which used to be QT Pro 7 but apparently stopped being Pro at some point, although I kept making it update for years... who knows).

The video I'm dealing with tonight was shot on an iPhone 11, uploaded to Box.com then downloaded to my machine running Sierra, and this is the codec that shows up:

MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hevc)

I am glad to hear that v265 might give us a period of stability, because the past year has been heck trying to get video from a device into something I can use (although I do now have a MacMini running the latest that I can get to if necessary).

And HandBrake has been working okay, although it's a pain in the neck to have to convert video files just to work with them.

All of this recent work is for Virtual PiratePalooza, so I'm trying to process video from a variety of people, so I'm a major bottleneck to my own event (and on a slow ass connection to boot) ::shrug:: it'll be what it'll be, so no worries.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-08, 13:13

You should look at using Automator and services to allow you to drop videos into a folder and have them auto-convert. If you have other people providing videos then there is no telling what format they will be in when you get them.

I'm fairly certain you can do a Folder Action with Quicktime converting but not certain of that. Otherwise I know you can script Handbreak and use CLI to do it using a loop.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-08, 15:03

Ooooo.... I found my original loop from a long time go:
Code:
Beast:~ turtle$ for i in $(find /Volumes/Travel\ Agent/Ducktales -type d -maxdepth 0| xargs -I {} ls {}); do /Users/turtle/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i /Volumes/Travel\ Agent/Ducktales/"$i" -o /Volumes/Closet/Converted/$i.m4v -5 -Z AppleTV;done
Of course, you will need to make sure the path the HandBreakCLI is accurate and your source and destination folders will be different too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.