Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

New Apple Display?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Apple Display?
italian soda

Send a message via AIM to italian soda  
2005-09-29, 03:39

While everyone is wondering about other apple products, I read off a rumour from a Taiwan apple forum. The basic idea is that a magazine stated, "In a room crowded with Japanese technicians and engineers, discussing about the new apple display....", and a special deal happens to take place in an apple reseller in Taiwan. The magazine said the new product will be possible announced in October. Anyone got any idea?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-29, 09:59

As much as I would love to see a 17" ACD, I highly doubt it. And on those lines, Apple just refreshed their display line a little more than a year ago. The line is awesome and their is little else to do, other than continue to bring down the prices.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-09-29, 10:01

While I'd like to think there's something new coming out for the displays this October, I have no idea how likely it is. However, there's a forum about a new technology (SED) over on AppleInsider that might be related:

SED - The next technology for HD displays?

Now, it sounds great, and I'd love to see it in displays... but the chances that someone's got this stuff to market? Slim to less than none. I'll probably be checking back up on it in the next year or two, though. Because it'll basically be a CRT-quality display with the size and power benefits of an LCD. Now how awesome would that be?

And hopefully this thread is safe, since I didn't see anything else related here on AN
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-09-29, 11:28

Wiki that, with a link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SED-tv

Sounds interesting, but I have read two different places now that they are going to charge a premium because of the display quality being that much better and I have heard no talks about smaller screens with this technology just big ones. That said SED Inc. hasn't even developed a plan for releasing them in the states as of yet.

Mile 1
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-29, 17:06

I'm of the opinion that Apple probably won't release a 17" display...just further drop the prices on the current models. If the 20" display was $499, there'd be less of a need for a 17" one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-29, 17:38

If that awesome 20" display (IMO, the perfect size/resolution for the kind of things I do and the way I work and play) hit $499...

I'd HAVE to buy.

No, I don't really see this happening (perhaps $599?), but it's something nice to think about.
flail

2005-09-29, 17:45

I hit up eBay, found a 20 incher of the pinstripe style. I got it for $407, then there was the converter for $50. Overall though, a steal and the display is great, I love it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-29, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
If that awesome 20" display (IMO, the perfect size/resolution for the kind of things I do and the way I work and play) hit $499...

I'd HAVE to buy.

No, I don't really see this happening (perhaps $599?), but it's something nice to think about.
I don't even see it going that low. At $799, it's a pretty good deal. I could see it dropping a hundred bucks, but no lower than that.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-29, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
I don't even see it going that low. At $799, it's a pretty good deal. I could see it dropping a hundred bucks, but no lower than that.
HP's nice 20" used to be about $800, but it just dropped to $500...

I know Apple commands a price premium over Dells and the like, but if Apple matched HP's price before...

Just remember how much the original 21" "Cinema" display was. Even around a year ago, the $799 display in question was $1,299. Do you really think it'll only get $100 cheaper?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-09-29, 21:11

Has Apple finally resolved that pink-hue issue which seemed to dog those new displays? And, just out of curiosity, why isn't the 20" model HD?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-29, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
HP's nice 20" used to be about $800, but it just dropped to $500...

I know Apple commands a price premium over Dells and the like, but if Apple matched HP's price before...

Just remember how much the original 21" "Cinema" display was. Even around a year ago, the $799 display in question was $1,299. Do you really think it'll only get $100 cheaper?
The 20" and 23" both need a price change. The 40-50% premium over a similar Dell display just isn't worth it IMO.

I don't know what pricing is like on the 30" ACD to comment on a price reduction there.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-09-29, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
The 20" and 23" both need a price change. The 40-50% premium over a similar Dell display just isn't worth it IMO.

I don't know what pricing is like on the 30" ACD to comment on a price reduction there.
To my knowledge, there is nothing for the 30" to compete with. Am I wrong on that?

The 20" and 23" continue to sell well, even with their current prices. I would expect them to drop a little more, but not much.

namachtag
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-09-29, 23:20

I think they can get what they ask for the monitors... at least for now. It is sad that I can get 2 dell 24" after coupons and rebates for about $300 more than one apple 23".

For comparison:
http://www.barefeats.com/lcd.html

I wish the 30" would come down in price! I'd be all over that... I've been looking at a panasonic commercial 50" plasma for my home theater... it's around 3k... seems odd that the 30" wouldn't come down.

The really sad part is the Apple 20" and the Dell 20" have the same lcd screen. I've been into apple since before it was kewl... paying the premium prices... but there is a common sense thing... and if you say it's the design of the apple lcd that is worth the price... maybe??? I'd rather have more viewable space for the money!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-29, 23:52

Well, namachtag, you're comparing a plasma TV to an LCD screen. LCDs cost more, which is why only small flat-panel televisions usually use LCDs, while the larger ones use plasma. There's some large LCD TVs, but they're really expensive.

Moving away from the speculation on a price drop, let's explore the other side of the equation for a minute. Does anyone think that Apple's displays will get any bigger? The 21" was huge when it first came out, the 23" was even huger, and then it jumped to 30" - that's massive. 30" is larger than many companies even offer, and it is definitely much larger than most monitors. Will Apple ever come out with something bigger? I wouldn't think so, but then again, I think I doubted we'd ever see an Apple screen bigger than 23", so...
Anthem

2005-09-30, 01:13

I've got a Sharp that I love. It's a 19" and I got it for $500 two years ago. Runs great, never has a problem.

I just bought my mominlaw a beautiful 17" screen for $150 at Fry's.

Apple's displays are overpriced. I'm not saying they should get into the bargain market, but there's no way I could justify $800 for a 20-inch screen. And yes, I've used ACDs, and yes, they're very nice. But not THAT nice.
namachtag

2005-09-30, 03:15

Roboman..."Well, namachtag, you're comparing a plasma TV to an LCD screen. LCDs cost more, which is why only small flat-panel televisions usually use LCDs, while the larger ones use plasma. There's some large LCD TVs, but they're really expensive."

I know the LCD/Plasma size/price differences...I was making the point that every flat-panel type no matter what it is has come down in price, TV's esp. All prices are falling and apple has little price drops....
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-30, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by namachtag
I know the LCD/Plasma size/price differences...I was making the point that every flat-panel type no matter what it is has come down in price, TV's esp. All prices are falling and apple has little price drops....
Apple's 30" LCD is 2560x1600. I'm not sure what the highest LCD TV resolution is, but a Google search seemed to show 1366x768 as a high number for resolution. This means that Apple's panel has 4x the pixels of most 32-36" HD LCD screens.

The costs of ensuring that such a panel is free of pixel defects (or just a handful) is much higher - thus the discrepancy in price between HD LCD TVs and the 30" ACD. Also, it's economies of scale... many companies produce HD LCD TVs, so price comes down as quantity of fabricated LCD screens increases. As Roboman pointed out, there's no competition using similar panels to the 30" ACD.
namachtag

2005-09-30, 09:11

every flat-panel type no matter what it is has come down in price......
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-09-30, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Has Apple finally resolved that pink-hue issue which seemed to dog those new displays? And, just out of curiosity, why isn't the 20" model HD?
What do you mean by not HD? Are you talking about the Screen not supporting a "native" HD resolution? Are you talking about the fact that it won't show true 1080i/p resolutions?

The 20" has a resolution of "1680 x 1050 optimal resolution". This monitor is more than capable of displaying HD content in 720p (1280X720).

What is very scary to me is HD-TV's in the 30"+ range that can't show true 1080i/p resolutions and actually have a lower resolution than Apple's 20".

Mile 1
dougiemac

2005-09-30, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I'm of the opinion that Apple probably won't release a 17" display...just further drop the prices on the current models. If the 20" display was $499, there'd be less of a need for a 17" one.

I know what you mean, the store by me had a refreshed 20" for $499 the other week and my credit card company is thanking me right now.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-09-30, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiemac
I know what you mean, the store by me had a refreshed 20" for $499 the other week and my credit card company is thanking me right now.

Is that a widescreen and what is the native resolution?
Gregg
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-10-01, 06:18

I have both the Apple 20 and the Dell 20 and other than the cases, there appears to be no difference. If I had to spend my own money it would be on the Dell to save a few bucks.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-01, 11:08

The 23" has a horrible color/viewing angle problem. It needs complete redesign.

The 20" is obviously the most competetive display Apple has but needs a price drop.

I wonder if the new 23"-24" are eating into 30" ACD sales. If so, then a price drop is in order; otherwise the 30" is fine till there is direct competition out.

On the next iteration of the basic display design they could put in *easy* pivoting. My Dell has pivot but I'm not using it because it is too difficult, with all the wiring restricting the display movement. Apple has a track record for cleaning things up. If someone can make it work well, it's them.

They must have a good reason for not having a 17" or equivalent display in the lineup. My guess is everyone already has at least that.
squeed

2005-10-01, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari

The 20" is obviously the most competetive display Apple has but needs a price drop.
Competitive? No way. They use the same manufacturer as the 20" dell (which is why they have the pink hue problem) but remove all the features (Four inputs, four-port USB hub, rotating display, and PIP) and charge $300 more. It would be one thing if Apple had a better product, but sometimes they lose sight...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-01, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
What do you mean by not HD? Are you talking about the Screen not supporting a "native" HD resolution? Are you talking about the fact that it won't show true 1080i/p resolutions?

The 20" has a resolution of "1680 x 1050 optimal resolution". This monitor is more than capable of displaying HD content in 720p (1280X720).

What is very scary to me is HD-TV's in the 30"+ range that can't show true 1080i/p resolutions and actually have a lower resolution than Apple's 20".
Thanks for answering my question omf. You are right (according to Wiki the native HD resolutions are coverable by the 20" ... well, except for 1920*1080) ... so what I really should have asked is why didn't Apple choose to advertise this monitor as HD? How did they make their distinction?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-10-01, 15:34

Because it can't do 1080i or 1080p at native, while both the 23" and 30" can.

While TV manufacturers call a 720p native set HD, I guess Apple is being slightly more intellectually honest...?
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-01, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe

While TV manufacturers call a 720p native set HD, I guess Apple is being slightly more intellectually honest...?
Amen...I am waiting for two more years before I consider a HD TV. As for a Monitor, I am not sure my wife will let me spend Apple type money on one till they come down more.

Mile 1
Amadeus

2005-10-01, 16:22

I would certainly like to see an update to the Apple LCD. From what I've heard the more important thing may be the proposed price decrease. My wife is more that willing for a purchase, usually it's me that holds back.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-02, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe

OK - thanks Engine Joe ... I read the Wiki HD TV page last night, but after your answer, I found that the Wiki HD Video page provided a clearer explanation for me (compared to what I read on the HD TV page ... not your response). Ta.