Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Biotech stocks - your thoughts and recommendations about this market sector

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Biotech stocks - your thoughts and recommendations about this market sector
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-20, 15:49

A few weeks ago (on June 27), I compiled this list of stocks from the research section of my brokerage website. You'll notice that they had all been doing fairly well at that point in time.

I wanted to do some research on some of these companies, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Sorry about that. I am assuming that biotech stocks should do well over the course of the next ten years and beyond. It would be nice to pick out, say, the top five prospects from this list, with a view toward investing in one or more of them.

I was wondering if any of you know anything about one or two of these companies. OR... if just from the company name, you think it would be worth looking into (i.e. researching thoroughly) - with an eye toward possible investment.

I have a fair amount invested in AAPL at present, but would like to find a few solid biotech stocks for consideration. (I'd like to sell off some of the more lackluster stuff in my current portfolio, and put that money into companies with a foot in the future and with the potential for impressive growth down the road.)

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations wrt any of these (or other) biotech companies?

Which *five* of these companies would be most worth researching, in your opinion?

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

Advanced Magnetics AMAG
$58.28 +0.38 (0.66%)
Up 88%

Albany Molecular Research AMRI
$15.32 +0.57 (3.86%)
Up 44%

Bio-Imaging Tech BITI
$7.01 +0.21 (3.09%)
Up 63%

BioDelivery Sciences Intl BDSI
$4.12 +0.18 (4.57%)
Up 95%

BioTime Inc BTIM
$0.48 +0.02 (4.35%)
Up 91%

BioVeris Corp BIOV
$21.48 0.00 (0.00%)
Up 164%

Bruker BioSciences BRKR
$9.15 +0.16 (1.78%)
Up 80%

Intl Isotopes INIS
$0.22 0.00 (0.45%)
Up 144%

Medivation Inc MDVN
$20.63 +0.42 (2.08%)
Up 296%

Medtox Scientific MTOX
$28.63 -0.16 (0.56%)
Up 214%

NeoGenomics Inc NGNM
$1.65 +0.04 (2.48%)
Up 151%

PharmaNet Development Group PDGI
$31.45 +0.21 (0.67%)
Up 109%

Sequenom Inc SQNM
$4.55 +0.09 (2.02%)
Up 147%

Last edited by Windswept : 2007-07-21 at 15:16.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-20, 16:58

Hmm.

I thought we had some science geeks around here.

No thoughts, no ideas, no musings of any kind wrt the biotech sector???

How about suggestions for the *types* of companies and products you think might do well over the next decade, even if you don't know of specific names?

With the millions of boomers getting ready to retire, I would think that at least 'some' of the biotech companies would be gearing up to remedy the many ailments accumulated over the decades of their working lives. Yes? No?

Better knee replacements for one-time athletes, and stuff like that? Or how about that little capsule with the camera that is swallowed to take images of the digestive system?

Or intervening in disease processes at the cellular level?

Any of that sound promising wrt biotech stocks???

Or, on the other hand, what's your favorite ice cream?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 17:10

While it's not a recommendation, I've been on and off following the company Cyberkinetics (CYKN). They work on brain machine interfaces, which is very promising technology for "locked-in" people. However, as it stand, I don't think they've generated any revenue yet. Not a stock to buy, but something to pay attention as the stock is cheap (obviously) and the technology is promising (if they can implement it well & actually turn a profit).

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-20, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
While it's not a recommendation, I've been on and off following the company Cyberkinetics (CYKN). They work on brain machine interfaces, which is very promising technology for "locked-in" people. However, as it stand, I don't think they've generated any revenue yet. Not a stock to buy, but something to pay attention as the stock is cheap (obviously) and the technology is promising (if they can implement it well & actually turn a profit).
Interesting suggestion of a company. Thank you.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-07-20, 22:26

Well out of my scope. No clue on Biotech whatsoever.

My only suggestion would be to invest in a basket of Biotech stocks if you want to go into the sector. It's an incredibly volatile group, and highly dependent on successful trials for price movement. Better to spread the risk over several companies in the hopes of having one home run pick.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-21, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
Well out of my scope. No clue on Biotech whatsoever.
But would you agree that it's a huge 'up and coming' field for the next few decades? Or not?

Quote:
My only suggestion would be to invest in a basket of Biotech stocks if you want to go into the sector. It's an incredibly volatile group, and highly dependent on successful trials for price movement. Better to spread the risk over several companies in the hopes of having one home run pick.
A good point. I did buy Amgen back in '98. Looking at the 10-year chart, I'm not 'wildly' impressed. I suppose I doubled my money, but it certainly took long enough.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/qui...eq=2& time=13
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-07-21, 15:50

I think it's been a huge up-and-coming field ever since somebody raised their head and realized that the boomers were driving the bus. I'm curious, have you done any research on Mutuals that concentrate on this sector? That would be one way to spread your risk while letting someone else spend every day following the twists and turns of that market.

If you find any let us know how they rate... it's never a bad idea to plan ahead!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-07-21, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
But would you agree that it's a huge 'up and coming' field for the next few decades? Or not?
Oh, definitely. Always need to find cures for the diseases that ail us. But for every Genentech, Amgen, etc. that's out there, there's at least a couple dozen of companies who never encounter that blockbuster drug and end up being a bad investment. I'm not wild about investing in biotech because of that.

Quote:
A good point. I did buy Amgen back in '98. Looking at the 10-year chart, I'm not 'wildly' impressed. I suppose I doubled my money, but it certainly took long enough.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/qui...eq=2& time=13
That looks like at least a 500% return if you invested sometime in '98 and held until now, not 200%

Drewprops has a good point. I think one way to use such biotech funds would be as a place to get some ideas for further research - look at what they're holding, do some research and see if anything catches your eye.