AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

F*cking Canada and their f*cking air!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
F*cking Canada and their f*cking air!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-12-21, 00:05

It is so fucking cold outside. And it's not like it was a gradual step down to fucking frostbiteville. No it went from a nice balmy 40º+ to this in about 24 hours.

So, fuck you Canadians and your cold air!

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-12-21, 00:11

Huh, that's funny... it's 26 degrees here in Minnesota. Rather nice day today once the freezing rain stopped!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-12-21, 00:20

12°? Quit yer whining.

Boston: 7°F (-14°C)

But I got Indian food and got drunk, so all is well.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-12-21, 00:24

yeah, but we have 16º, 17º, 3º and 0º to look forward to in the next four days. time to get ice down for that rink baby!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-21, 00:35

Bah. Buck up, ya wus.

I'm with Alcimedes: it was 3 degrees here the last couple nights, and probably 12 or 15 below with the wind-chill. Time to throw the blades in the back of the car and a few pucks so I can hit the rink after work.

...into the light of a dark black night.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-12-21, 00:54

I guess I can't complain that's it's 38 right now? Stupid canadians!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-12-21, 01:06

It's was -35 yesterday. Perfect Canadian weather. My girlfriend and I enjoyed it so much we're thinking about moving north in a year or so. Like way north....above the timber line. Man I love winter.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-12-21, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
I guess I can't complain that's it's 38 right now? Stupid canadians!
I saw a stupid canadian swimming on the beach in Ft Lauderdale yesterday. Well, he was probably a canadian... definitely stupid though!

I can friggin see my breath here tonight. Now THAT is frigging COLD!!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-12-21, 02:32

Just how north is the timber line? And how can you possibly enjoy this!?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-12-21, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
Just how north is the timber line? And how can you possibly enjoy this!?
Cause when it's that cold out, you really want to snuggle up under the covers with your boy/girl friend, and said snuggling increases your chances of getting laid. At least that's how I look at it.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-12-21, 03:20

I didn't realize any of that was going on in Canada. ...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-12-21, 04:14

meh ... it's a moderate 20 deg C (or 68 in your terms) down here. Mild and sunny.
Looking for a lovely 30 C /86 F on Thursday. Not too hot - definitely not too cold.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2004-12-21, 04:59

I had to change my tire in -13 degree weather the other day, that tire iron was cold. But on the plus side the tire was fine it just magically deflated.......

And All That Could Have Been
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-21, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento
I had to change my tire in -13 degree weather the other day, that tire iron was cold. But on the plus side the tire was fine it just magically deflated.......
Probably from the cold. In our first cold snap, all 4 of my tires lost about 7psi apiece.

Could the guy in the fifth igloo on the left, Canada, please close the freezer? You're letting all the cold out!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-21, 08:22

Heh. Here in NC, we had a record low high yesterday. Something in the 20s.

Of course, just my luck, practically the entire state got a little snow except for a 20-mile radius around Raleigh!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-12-21, 09:46

Quote:
....how can you possibly enjoy this!?
I enjoy winter, and can’t imagine living in a place where there is not snow on the ground for at least a few months every year. I’ll admit, however, that -30 C (-22 F) is just too cold for me. That was the temperature in Ottawa yesterday morning. With the wind chill it was
-42 C (-44 F). Painful – even dangerous – for the face and the extremities.

What I like is a nice steady ‘mild’ chill. If we could have a high day temperature of -5 C (23 F) and a low night temperature of -15 C (5 F) all winter long I would be pleased. That way the snow stays nice and soft for skiing and the ice on the canal stays nice and hard for skating.

Instead, however, we tend to have these wild temperature swings. After the bone-numbing cold of the last couple of days, it is supposed to go above freezing on Thursday, with the possibility of sleet and freezing rain. I hate these weather swings worse than the extreme cold itself.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2004-12-21 at 10:01.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-21, 09:59

Yah, I'll take 20F and snow over 40 and rain anyday. Winter isn't nearly as bad as the end of Fall and early Spring IMO. I can't stand cold and rain. Either it's cold enough to freeze the pond for several weeks on end, or it's warm enough to wear short sleaves. Anything in between, and there had better be sun or I'm inside all day.

Bubbles

2004-12-21, 09:59

It's 4 degrees. I don't mind cold sometimes, I really don't like it though when it's very cold and there's a strong wind, that's just miserable.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-21, 10:01

Yah it's the wind that'll break your will I find. I can handle being outside in temperatures around zero without much discomfort but when the wind howls that's a PITA generally. Can't even skate good because sooner or later you have to skate back into the wind and let me tell you, that's no fun in frigid weather.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-12-21, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
What I like is a nice steady ‘mild’ chill. If we could have a high day temperature of -5 C (23 F) and a low night temperature of -15 C (5 F) all winter long I would be pleased. That way the snow stays nice and soft for skiing and the ice on the canal stays nice and hard for skating.
I can respect that, what disgusts me about winter is the wind! I live in Milwaukee right off of the major road through downtown and out west through campus. This sadly, is also right off of Lake Michigan, thus causing the road to become somewhat of a "wind tunnel" for the wind coming off of the lake. This irritates me beyond all believe, it is terrible walking in blowing snow, while having to make sure your hat isn't falling off, and trying to keep your balance into the headwind.

However, the temperatures you describe seem wonderful, if only for the snow. I am coming up to Collingwood, Ontario on Sunday, just for skiing. Mmmmmm, then off to Park City, Utah, for ... more skiing. Lovely winter it will be!

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Bubbles

2004-12-21, 17:31

Yeah the wind is bad on my campus too, especially when it blows freezing pellets of ice or snow into your face while you're trying to walk. That's when we usually end up running from building to building, assuming we don't slip and fall in the process.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-12-21, 17:33

cold rain is much worse than snow...i hate when it is windy, 38 degrees and raining...you are a cold wet rat when you have to go anywhere

as for wind....we don't get much here in the winter...but the spring is awful for wind....

we have, "the wind"...which becomes "the damn wind"...which becomes "the god damn *&$&#$@# wind"....it will blow for a month or two straight....enough to drive you nuts

i never have people visit here in spring....

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-12-21, 18:04

wheres that? just for future reference, and so I can avoid it.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-12-21, 18:47

new mexico...actually quite lovely....mild summers, beautiful fall, near perfect winters (some snow in the mountains, great skiing but sunny and warm)...just spring sucks....300 sunny days a year

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-12-21, 18:48

60˚ F. I love California.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-21, 19:51

You mean "60 and smog", right?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-12-21, 20:00

Hahah, I use to live in Riverside, California as a kid. Whenever we were there, it was sooo easy to go outside and play, because there wasn't any real "direct" sunlight in my eyes. I moved here to Wisconsin, and in the summers I have to wear sunglasses cause there is so little pollution out. Its both lovely, and I get sunburn a lot more easily. Smog was nice

User formally known as Sh0eWax
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-12-21, 21:18

I have to say I enjoy the Minnesota chill, it gives me a chance to use the "Big" coat and it gets all the nasty dampness out of the air. Seriously though, I'm a big fan a skiing. I love snow, the more the better.

The future is tomorrow!
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-12-21, 22:12

Quote:
I can respect that, what disgusts me about winter is the wind! I live in Milwaukee right off of the major road through downtown and out west through campus. This sadly, is also right off of Lake Michigan, thus causing the road to become somewhat of a "wind tunnel" for the wind coming off of the lake. This irritates me beyond all believe, it is terrible walking in blowing snow, while having to make sure your hat isn't falling off, and trying to keep your balance into the headwind.

However, the temperatures you describe seem wonderful, if only for the snow. I am coming up to Collingwood, Ontario on Sunday, just for skiing. Mmmmmm, then off to Park City, Utah, for ... more skiing. Lovely winter it will be!
Maybe I could meet you at Blue Mountain sometime!

EDIT: naaah!
Bubbles

2004-12-21, 22:38

I like making snowmen! But the past couple years we've only had "bad" snow that was hard or icy or dry and powerdery. No good for snowmen