User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Tekkit! The future of AN MC?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Should we use Tekkit?
No, I'd rather we stay on regular Minecraft. 4 33.33%
Yes, let's try Tekkit for a while. 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

MC: Tekkit! The future of AN MC?
Page 2 of 5 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-06, 15:07

I wanted to see just how strong these nukes were...

I built a cube with 5-block-thick obsidian walls around 1 nuke. It hollowed out a few obsidian blocks, but I was hoping for something a little more spectacular. So, I put 3x3x3 nukes in the middle and patched the walls. I, uh, got disconnected when my client couldn't keep up.

If you didn't notice, obsidian is no longer indestructible. It's still safe from conventional explosives, but not nukes...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2012-09-06, 15:19

I think bobsky just peed himself.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-09-06, 15:34

Holy shit.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-06, 16:19

Inerdiction torches are crazy expensive! 4 diamonds, 7 glowstone, 6 redstone (and two sticks)? Holy hell. I just clicked on it in TMI and it gave me 64 of them.

I also made a VERY LARGE hole with a small pack'o'nukes. Even just one is a crazy mess when you set it off.

Crafting recipe is great.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-06, 18:21

Ok, I'm literally laughing out loud watching the damage of the nukes. Sheer awesomeness right there.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-09-06, 18:31

Part of me wants a custom script to remove bbsky's nuke crafting abilities and most of the rest wants to see what he'd do with them.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-09-06, 19:23

I think we may need to have a script written to auto-save when a nuke is placed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-06, 19:38

If you guys are concerned about nukes, it's easy enough to forbid crafting of that item. In fact, I'll go ahead and set that up now so I don't forget.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-06, 19:43

I like nukes. I just got finished playing in SSP and they are fun.

They can be used with minimal collateral damage and maybe shouldn't be removed. Instead we make it clear, you abuse them and destroy someone's stuff you get banned for two weeks or something like they. Twice and perm-ban.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-06, 21:09

I'd have a hard time making the case for keeping them, though. Aside from widespread destruction, what purpose do they serve? If we have another free-for-all day like we did when everyone was flying around with lightning rods, I could see releasing them then. But for what on a regular day-to-day basis?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-09-06, 21:34

64 nukes. In one line. Thrown sticky dynamite, and RAN. World didn't crash totally, but watching the minimap update? O_o
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-06, 22:45

The nuke blows about a 24 x 20 x 21 hole in the ground... how do I know?
http://youtu.be/ZMdhf76VhuQ?hd=1

I did it and then later stepped it out the block count. This was one nuke. For things like under Grey's ocean thing a few worlds back. Or for anyone who say wants to level a mushroom looking land mass...

Ok, so I don't have a really compelling reason other than I like big booms. Really though, I think we could allow them and make whoever has an oops with it pay.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-09-07, 00:26

I just spent the better part of two hours blowing stuff up with nukes, in the overworld, the Nether, and the End. It's quite addicting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-07, 00:30

Somebody nuked my house.

With ducken.

A 40-kiloducken nuke.

I'll get you.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-07, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
64 nukes. In one line. Thrown sticky dynamite, and RAN. World didn't crash totally, but watching the minimap update? O_o
So I guess game performance isn't a concern for your macbook after all.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-07, 01:24

I watched an online video of somebody doing a column of them and it kind of hiccuped... not cloud of destruction, just a re-draw of the pit with the missing bits gone.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-09-07, 02:00

I can't say that conclusively, Brad. It struggled mightily loading those volcanoes. I worry what may happen if I have to load some sort of large machine.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-09-07, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I worry what may happen if I have to load some sort of large machine.
Just nuke it. Problem solved!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-07, 15:27

OK, let's do this.

9 PM EDT tonight? I'll bring down the existing MC server sometime around 8:45 to start swapping files around. I'll finish tweaking my texture pack this afternoon and post it before the switch, and I'll also include setup instructions for anyone who hasn't already started playing around with Tekkit.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-07, 17:37

Ok, so if we can't have nukes then we can have oopses with reactors right.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-07, 17:42

Hey, if you're willing to spend the time and resources on building a nuclear reactor (they aren't cheap!) only to blow it... as long as it's just in your back yard, that's your prerogative.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-09-07, 18:10

Oooh. Best dump my loot then. Just in case.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-07, 18:16

Don't forget to find and post the coordinates of whatever you want copied over!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-09-07, 19:01

I think I will be OK with nukes being available...as long as people are smart about using them. I think it might be fun for us to, once in a while, decide to nuke a mountain.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-07, 19:49

I'm running a few minutes behind on this...

Let's aim for 9:30 instead. Sorry for the delay!
¡Damned!

2012-09-07, 20:04

Phew. Me too. Just got back and am wholly unprepared. (ie: need to pick up beer)

I grabbed a couple coords earlier: Arco is x239.5 y69 z237.5 by x287.5 y69 z285.5 - if everyone is OK with where it is now, cool. If not, maybe here?:

Or perhaps in the water off the IOI. It may get taller with some of the new stuff going on, so speak now or hold your bitching about how tall it is - because it could (but won't) be 3x as tall...

Sugar/Papermill is: x17.5 y69 z374.5 by x287.5 y69 z285.5 - no one seemed to really jump on the island idea, so I'm taking it back over. If the mill gets placed in the same spot within a few blocks x&z, that's good by me. Plenty of new stuff to build factories for, so IOI is back on.

I'm not going to rebuild my house where it is now, even as much as I like it. It always kind've seemed 'in the way', so I'll be building a proper stone path there that goes to the IOI. Maybe a bridge across the river to spawn too. Maybe an ice cream stand if Tekkit allows for such a thing.

No cookie factory on the IOI. Cocoa plants are a bust for now.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-09-07 at 20:15.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-07, 20:11

WAT???

What do I need to download, beyond the new textures?? Holp!!!

Tweet to me!!

@drewprops

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-07, 20:21

Nevermind, I'm figuring it out nao.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-09-07, 20:29

Shoot, I still haven't grabbed anything to eat for dinner yet either. One last time: 10 PM or bust.

For setup, go download the launcher from here:
http://www.technicpack.net/download/

Or this should also be a direct download of the Mac version:
http://mirror.technicpack.net/files/...uncher-OSX.zip

Unzip the download, and launch the app. In a few seconds, you'll get something like what I posted on the previous page. Select "Tekkit" from the graphical menu in the top left corner.

In the bottom right corner, enter your Minecraft credentials and hit login.

The Tekkit mods should auto-download and install.

Once you've launched, it should look a lot like normal Minecraft, like this:

Now you should go download my textures and install per this post.

Go poke around in single-player mode for a few minutes to get a brief feel of what's different.

REMOVING MODS:

I've encountered some problems with one of the included mods: MAtmos. This mod adds ambient sounds to the game, but the problem I've experienced is that eventually normal sounds stop playing. This is only a mild nuisance when doors or chests stop making sounds, but it's a real problem when you can't hear the creeper sneaking up behind you or the spider that's about to drop on your head. To remove MAtmos, go here:

~/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher/tekkit/mods/

And delete (or move out of that folder) the file called MAtmos_packaged.zip.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-07, 20:31

I would like to have my house moved to the same spot it's in now:
House in world
x = -71
y = 79
z = 528

to

x = -94
y = 97
z = 541

BTW, my SSP world was Technic instead of Tekkit so I'm not sure how different a nuke will act in it.