Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

click counting application??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
click counting application??
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2005-10-03, 22:12

I'm looking for an app that will count how many times I click the mouse. I've tried searching macupdate and versiontracker, but no luck.

this app would basically be imitating one of those counters that e.g. bouncers use to keep track of how many people they let in.

Has anyone heard of such an app?

thanks

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-10-04, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
I'm looking for an app that will count how many times I click the mouse. I've tried searching macupdate and versiontracker, but no luck.

this app would basically be imitating one of those counters that e.g. bouncers use to keep track of how many people they let in.

Has anyone heard of such an app?

thanks
I've never heard of such an app, but I might be able to write one. No promises or anything, but I'll look into it. Just out of curiosity, why do you want it?

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-10-04, 03:40

Code:
<script language="javascript"> var count = 0; function count_in() { count ++; } function count_out() { count --; } function reset_count() { count = 0; } function update_counter() { counter = document.getElementById('counterdisplay'); counter.value = count; } </script> <form> <input type="button" name="in" value="Increase ++" onclick="count_in();return false;"> -- <input type="button" name="out" value="Decrease --" onclick="count_out();return false;"><br /> <input type="button" name="out" value="Reset 0" onclick="reset_count();return false;"> <input type="text" name="counter" value="0" id="counterdisplay" size="10"> <script language="javascript"> setInterval('update_counter()',100); </script>
Here you go. All in javascript / html so you can make it into a widget if you want!

Last edited by Gargoyle : 2005-10-04 at 15:40.
geneman

2005-10-04, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Just out of curiosity, why do you want it?
I'm going to be counting *lots* of cells (microscope pictures), and it can be useful to focus on one thing at a time, i.e. not having to remember a number... I know it sounds simple but I (and probably everyone else) can count a lot faster not having to remember a number - also if I get distracted I won't have to start all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Here you go. All in javascript / html so you can make it into a widget if you want!
Thanks! I think... how would I go about making this into an app? Also I'm on 10.3.9 so no widgets for me.

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
stonyc

Send a message via AIM to stonyc  
2005-10-04, 13:25

Hmm, at work I have one of those click counters... just a mechanical thing where it does exactly what you're talking about. When I'm done, I just dial the numbers back to zero. Looks like this: https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon?cid=1328&gid=139892
Linus van Pelt

2005-10-04, 13:40

that mechanical counter is what i use to count cells as well. what would be nice was a program that automatically transfers the mouse clicks to a lab notebook program, or maybe an electronic notebook program that has its own mouse click function....but now that i think about it, i sound lazy.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-10-04, 14:32

Easy, ready-made way.

Start Excel.
Press the down arrow for each "click"
Note which row you're on when you finish.
There is no step 4.
geneman

2005-10-04, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyc
Hmm, at work I have one of those click counters... just a mechanical thing where it does exactly what you're talking about. When I'm done, I just dial the numbers back to zero. Looks like this: https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon?cid=1328&gid=139892
We have a similar one at the lab, but I'd like to do some of the data analysis at home, and just thought it would be practical if there was a such app, very simple but useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Easy, ready-made way.

Start Excel.
Press the down arrow for each "click"
Note which row you're on when you finish.
There is no step 4.
That's not a bad idea at all. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best I'll give it a go.

Still having a one button app would eliminate Excel

Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-10-04, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
Thanks! I think... how would I go about making this into an app? Also I'm on 10.3.9 so no widgets for me.
Copy and paste that code into a file and call it counter.html
Open the file in safari, and click away!
geneman

2005-10-04, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Copy and paste that code into a file and call it counter.html
Open the file in safari, and click away!
Brilliant!! Thanks a bunch. I'm off to count