AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple announces "Mac-focused presentation" for August 7th

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple announces "Mac-focused presentation" for August 7th
Page 1 of 9 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-07-31, 19:24

MacWorld reports: Apple to hold Mac-focused presentation next week.

Seems like it would probably be an iMac-related announcement, but I'm really hoping for some Mac Pro announcements too. Nice new juicy video card, a speed bump maybe and why not?

neiltc13

2007-07-31, 19:38

Back when there was a switch to Intel I thought Apple would do the proper thing and try to get ATi and nVidia on board to produce "universal" drivers for their cards on Mac OS so that any Mac Pro owner could just buy an off the shelf card and put it in when they feel the need to rather than hunting down some stupid Mac GPU.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-31, 19:49

Rumored brushed metal iMac?

I'd just like a Mac Mini update personally.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-31, 19:50

Ditto on the mini update. I've been waiting for that for many moons now.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-07-31, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
Back when there was a switch to Intel I thought Apple would do the proper thing and try to get ATi and nVidia on board to produce "universal" drivers for their cards on Mac OS so that any Mac Pro owner could just buy an off the shelf card and put it in when they feel the need to rather than hunting down some stupid Mac GPU.
It's not that simple.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-31, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Rumored brushed metal iMac?

I'd just like a Mac Mini update personally.
You might get both. Could be a "consumer desktop" oriented event? Goodness knows the mini needs some attention (even more than the iMac)...

Who knows...maybe the Mac mini and iMac both get a makeover, with the mini finally getting the Core 2 Duo stuff - along with a few other needed tweaks and enhancements (like easy-access RAM?) - to bring it out of the dark ages and into line with the rest of the line-up? That would be nice!

If Apple is going to insist on charging $599 and up for the thing, the least they could do is make it feel somewhat worth it, and like it properly exists in the latter half of 2007 (and isn't stuck in spring 2006).

I'd love to see the mini become the little $499 "everybody wants one!" dynamo that switchers (and lots of current Mac users) jump on by the boatload. No chance of that happening in its current state, so they need to do something serious and good with it if they're going to keep it around.

Otherwise kill it and move on (no, I don't want that...but it looks worse to just leave it hanging on and neglected like it has been). And it has nowhere the popularity and charm of the 12" PowerBook, so...Apple really needs to piss or get off the pot, so to speak, when it comes to the mini.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-31, 20:18

Any chance Tuesday, being a Mac-oriented event, could see the introduction of a either a smaller MacBook Pro (that rumored subnotebook or even just a scaled-down 12-13" model, a replacement for the much-missed 12" PowerBook).

Or the sometimes-rumored larger MacBook (a 15" with 1280x800 resolution, now that the 15" MacBook Pro has skootched up to 1440x900, leaving that nice hole that could be filled).

Since we know the event isn't going to - for once - center on iPhones or iPods, how much of a mindblowing day would that be: a single event that sees a new iMac, revamped mini and, as a "one more thing", a new notebook model?

Talk about making your head spin...they'd have an amazing fall quarter!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-31, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Any chance Tuesday, being a Mac-oriented event, could see the introduction of a either a smaller MacBook Pro (that rumored subnotebook or even just a scaled-down 12-13" model, a replacement for the much-missed 12" PowerBook).
Oh, don't you dare get my hopes up, Mr. Scates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Since we know the event isn't going to - for once - center on iPhones or iPods
Actually, the non-phone iPods are due for a refresh, no? I wouldn't put it past Apple to pull an "Oops! Did I say Mac? Silly me. Of course I meant to say iPod!"

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-07-31, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Actually, the non-phone iPods are due for a refresh, no?
iPod video, iPod nano, Displays, MacBook, Mac mini, Keyboard, Mouse, Mac Pro, and Apple TV could all use an update.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-31, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Displays, MacBook, Mac mini, Keyboard, Mouse, Mac Pro, and Apple TV could all use an update.
But who buys that crap? All anyone in interested in these days is iPod iPod iPod!!*

* and iPhone

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-31, 20:32

Quote:
Oh, don't you dare get my hopes up, Mr. Scates!
Ha...you and 3/4 of the Mac-using population!

I'd love to see that too, actually. My PowerBook turns four in October, so it's getting to be that time for me as well...I'm kinda waiting on the next MacBook rev to pull the trigger, but I could certainly be persuaded into parting with a few hundred more bucks for something really small, sleek and silver (and packing a bit more muscle and features) too...

Quote:
Actually, the non-phone iPods are due for a refresh, no? I wouldn't put it past Apple to pull an "Oops! Did I say Mac? Silly me. Of course I meant to say iPod!"
They are, but that rumor out today (and yesterday) talks of a September ramp-up. If Apple comes out and stresses "no iPods or iPhones", I'm betting they're dead serious. They know we're all getting a little fed-up and testy with everything at Apple getting all the attention and glory except the Macs. Surely they wouldn't yank the rug from under us like that!

People would riot, and storm the walls at One Infinite Loop.

"Where's Steve?!? We aim to string him up 'cause we're sick and tired of hearing about your damn iPods!"

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-31, 20:39

Anything related to the Mac Pro will be a "coming in Q4" type announcement. Any actual updates will be speedbump type stuff or maybe Blu-Ray as a BTO now available. IOW, think iMac and maybe Mac Mini.

Penryn is ahead of schedule at Intel; samples clocked over 3.3GHz have already been seen out in the wild (supposedly they will clock higher than that when in production), fully operational and showing solid performance gains across the board over current chips. The new chip combined with a 1600MHz FSB, will be a big improvement for the Mac Pro line. Possibly 50% boost across the board with 100%+ boost in certain vector or division-related ops.

Expect to see them in November or December maybe if we're lucky. MWSF at the latest.

...into the light of a dark black night.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-07-31, 20:52

Quote:
iPod video, iPod nano, Displays, MacBook, Mac mini, Keyboard, Mouse, Mac Pro, and Apple TV could all use an update.
Display update PLEASE!!!

Paranoid666au

2007-07-31, 20:57

Quote:
It's not that simple.
Why? Linux doesn't need a special GPU! It's high time Apple done this! Or doesn't Apple wont us to game on our Macs?

And before you say anything, there are millions of gamers out there and millions of PC gamers. And non of them would touch a Mac with a 10 foot poll, because you just don't game on a Mac. PC gaming is the number one driver of GPU hardware. So why Apple wouldn't want to make the Mac more gaming friendly is way beyond me!

iPhone - finger licking good.

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-07-31, 21:02

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why could the Apple TV use a hardware update?

I wouldn't mind seeing an updated Mac mini or smaller Macbook.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-07-31, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid666au View Post
Why? Linux doesn't need a special GPU! It's high time Apple done this! Or doesn't Apple wont us to game on our Macs?

And before you say anything, there are millions of gamers out there and millions of PC gamers. And non of them would touch a Mac with a 10 foot poll, because you just don't game on a Mac. PC gaming is the number one driver of GPU hardware. So why Apple wouldn't want to make the Mac more gaming friendly is way beyond me!
IIRC, it has a lot to do with Macs using EFI and PCs using BIOS. That's not exactly a driver issue.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-31, 21:25

Brad, you sound bitter.

What do off-the-shelf user-installed GPUs have to do with iMacs? Nothing. Never have, never will. It's been, what, 10 years since the iMac was introduced? time to get over the inferred fantasy, people. Go ahead and be pissed about it. Stamp your feet and hold your breath until you pass out. Ain't gonna happen.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-31, 21:29

If a 12" PowerBook replacement is introduced, I think I'll faint.

I've been wanting to upgrade to something like that from my iBook for a while. As it stand, I'm going to get the 15" MBP, but a 12-13" MBP would be awesome.

Anthem

2007-07-31, 21:45

The wife and I are pretty strapped for cash right now (new baby will do that to you), but if Apple comes out with a $499 mini w/ decent specs I'll buy one.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-31, 21:45

Yeah, I'm thinking what - reasonably - would make it into a 12-13" MacBook Pro that would set it apart from the MacBook?

- Dedicated graphics (the 12" iBook and PowerBook had this, so it's do-able)
- Higher speeds than MacBook (Santa Rosa, etc.)
- Illuminated keys (which the 12" PowerBook never had)

But I'd love to see it incorporate the easy hard-drive access/replacement and the no-latch closing from the MacBook.

In other words, take the best parts of each line and make it into a really nice, small notebook. Something with the power of a MacBook Pro, the small size and appeal of the beloved 12" PowerBook and just a couple of hundred bucks more than the MacBook (Apple could have a notebook in that ~$1,699 range.

I honestly can't believe it's taken them this long to replace the wildly popular 12" PB.

And there's no guarantee they will...the above is all speculation and wishful thinking, of course.

JohnnyTheA

2007-07-31, 22:00

Quote:

Okay, lets say you solve the driver issue. What about the next level up? Most PC game companies use DirectX. So won't see that running in OSX. Getting cooperation from two GPU makers is hard. Getting dozens of game developers to spend extra money to develop OpenGL builds may be harder. OTOH, if Macs get more market share its possible...

JTA

rampancy

2007-07-31, 22:18

Maybe it could be iWork '07? (or iWork '08?)

Paranoid666au

2007-07-31, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
Okay, lets say you solve the driver issue. What about the next level up? Most PC game companies use DirectX. So won't see that running in OSX. Getting cooperation from two GPU makers is hard. Getting dozens of game developers to spend extra money to develop OpenGL builds may be harder. OTOH, if Macs get more market share its possible...

JTA
All game console except the Xbox, Xbox 360 don't use DirectX either. DirectX is just an API for Windows, so the question would be, would game devs wont to bother with anything other than Windows. But my point is that Mac hardware just plain sucks for gaming, unless maybe you want to sped the obscene amounts of money for a Mac Pro. The question of whether game devs would want to do games on OS X is a moot point, the hardware is just not right and it would be nice if Apple addressed that.

iPhone - finger licking good.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-07-31, 22:57

Quote:
All game console except the Xbox, Xbox 360 don't use DirectX either. DirectX is just an API for Windows, so the question would be, would game devs wont to bother with anything other than Windows. But my point is that Mac hardware just plain sucks for gaming, unless maybe you want to sped the obscene amounts of money for a Mac Pro. The question of whether game devs would want to do games on OS X is a moot point, the hardware is just not right and it would be nice if Apple addressed that.
I'm trying to hold back, but you're making it very difficult.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-31, 23:24

Quote:
Sooooo... let me get this straight. Apple should put resources into producing hardware that is suitable for games (they have), convince ATi and NVIDIA to produce better drivers (good idea, but as was pointed out, BIOS vs. EFI makes for a big difference in the driver situation), to support DirectX at the OS level (not gonna happen) in the hopes that devs would support it... *or* *not* support DirectX, and convince all the gaming houses to use OpenGL instead when there's no real market for them to sell to, even though the base hardware is there, but the graphics card companies they rely on haven't put the drivers in place because there aren't any game houses to use them?

Chicken... egg...

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-08-01, 00:27

If they release new iMacs I will seriously consider upgrading. Or I might add non-rip off version of the Mac Mini if such a thing exists.

Partial
Stallion

2007-08-01, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
IIRC, it has a lot to do with Macs using EFI and PCs using BIOS. That's not exactly a driver issue.
I am curious as to why this is as such, because doesn't boot camp change the firmware to emulate bios of some sort? How does that work, exactly? I bet Chucker knows!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Partial
Stallion

2007-08-01, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post

JTA
OK, but where did he state he was talking about games? It would be nice to simply be able to purchase and pop in any card off new egg.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-08-01, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
OK, but where did he state he was talking about games? It would be nice to simply be able to purchase and pop in any card off new egg.
I figured it was because gaming is really the only thing the Mac Pro could use a better card for. Unless you're into high end 3D rendering, but you can get a QuadroFX card for that now if you wanted it. For example you can get an X1900 BTO'd in a current Mac Pro - if you were to pop in any card off of Newegg, which card would it be and what function on the Mac would it improve on over the X1900?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-01, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
I am curious as to why this is as such, because doesn't boot camp change the firmware to emulate bios of some sort?
Correct; BIOS emulation is one of the Boot Camp 'pillars'.

Apple could simply allow OS X to boot off BIOS, but not only would that take their original decision to go with EFI ad absurdum; it would also still leave what JohnnyTheA pointed out: what good is a wide choice of gaming-oriented graphics cards when there just aren't that many games to begin with?