User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

LCD panel (IPS, TN, etc) question and LCD monitor selection help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LCD panel (IPS, TN, etc) question and LCD monitor selection help
Fooboy

2010-04-16, 11:52

Continuing the conservation from this thread, as it was getting off topic for that forum.

Our trusty 17" Intel iMac is starting to have issues (had it about 4 years). Wife really wanted a laptop but I really wanted a 24" iMac. Decided to get a 13.3 MBP with a large monitor as a compromise.

So, aside from my specs below of what I am looking for, I need help understanding about different panels (TN, IPS, etc). Work provided me with a new Dell LED backlit Latitude e6400 and the screen sucks. When moving moving off center the picture washes out and looks awful. Since we've had an iMac so long and the LCD monitor I use at work is older, I haven't had to experience these crappy TN panels.

Can you guys help me pick something out that is good all around? TN panels seem to have crap viewing angles and colors, IPS panels are expensive and I'm not sure I need something rated for pro-photographers ... is there anything in the middle?

---

Monitor Uses: General home computing ... pictures, browsing, home video. Minimal gaming (if at all).

Size - 20 -24, but I could go a little lower.

Native Resolution: 1920 x 1080 preferred, but I could go a little lower.

ms response: Don't care, more concerned with viewing angle, colors. Does this remove TN panel based monitors from my selection?

Adjustments: Really, really would love adjustable height. The 17" imac was perfect height but got a feeling a bigger monitor may need adjustments. I could give this requirement up though.

Screen Glossy / Matte: Prefer Matte. In a sun room (though great blinds on all windows)

Backlight: Don't care.

Budget: Up to $300 but $250 is ideal

---

ETA: Found these 2 on Newegg ...

SAMSUNG F2080 Black 20" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor w/CPVA panel
-- $259 + shipping

NEC Display Solutions EA231WMI-BK Black 23" 14ms(WTB) IPS Panel Height/Pivot/Swivel adjustable stand -- $309 + shipping

Last edited by Fooboy : 2010-04-16 at 12:16.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-04-18, 06:07

Here's a review of the NEC, albeit in German. Try Google Translate. As always, you need to go to the Germans or the Polish to get a decent, technically rigorous review.

IPS is generally best, as you've noted. PVA displays strike a decent balance but they tend to wash out shadows from a perpendicular viewing angle, i.e. the centre of the screen. TN panels are crap and to be avoided unless you're buying a notebook and have no choice. I see no reason to scrimp on a display, which is after all the thing you'll be interfacing with every time you use the computer.
Fooboy

2010-04-18, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Here's a review of the NEC, albeit in German. Try Google Translate. As always, you need to go to the Germans or the Polish to get a decent, technically rigorous review.

IPS is generally best, as you've noted. PVA displays strike a decent balance but they tend to wash out shadows from a perpendicular viewing angle, i.e. the centre of the screen. TN panels are crap and to be avoided unless you're buying a notebook and have no choice. I see no reason to scrimp on a display, which is after all the thing you'll be interfacing with every time you use the computer.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I am between the NEC above and the Dell 2209WA. Trying to find the best deal