User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 19 of 28 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-06, 16:22

LOLOL

Brad, you'll never guess which chicken is wandering the Nether hub?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-07, 22:13

Land claim!

Well, actually it's a water claim.

Would like to build another tall thing with the kid.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-06-07, 22:25

Could you post a top down view with an approximate size? I will be doing work around the rink at some point.
becca

Send a message via AIM to becca  
2014-06-08, 20:48

I'm sorry for the delay here. Since this is my first go at survival, I'm afraid I don't have the etiquette down pat just yet... But! I've been chipping away at a treehouse and deep mineshaft near the Temple of Time. When you walk there in person, you really can't tell much is there, but if you find the hidden entrances, you can get in and see plenty.

Regarding ToT, the treehouse is near the rear, so you can't really see anything from the front view. I swear, I didn't mean to end up so close to it, but I've been conscious to attempt less conspicuous builds near there.

As far as the shaft goes, that's pretty vertical: there aren't any large horizontal jumps once you get inside.

I invite everyone to go peek around, but just know it's a work in progress! If it's too much near the building, then I will trim the tree back how I found it.

I like to play nicely.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-08, 22:59

I will try to get that done in the next day or two.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-08, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I'm sorry for the delay here. Since this is my first go at survival, I'm afraid I don't have the etiquette down pat just yet... But!
No worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Regarding ToT, the treehouse is near the rear, so you can't really see anything from the front view. I swear, I didn't mean to end up so close to it, but I've been conscious to attempt less conspicuous builds near there.
Looks like a fine spot to me; I wouldn't have led you that way if I thought I'd regret having a neighbor on that side. The local underground area is also largely unclaimed to the best of my knowledge. Happy digging!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-11, 12:50

Is there anyone besides me who hates the haste beacons around town, especially at spawn?

This is officially a petition to remove haste from the Space Needle beacon.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-11, 12:52

I want to play with you all again soooo bad

Soon!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-11, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Could you post a top down view with an approximate size? I will be doing work around the rink at some point.
We are looking at a base approximately 50 x 50. I don't think we'll need all that, but it might be close. It will be in the middle of the entrance into the harbor, and be around 150 blocks high.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-11, 14:08

I *love* the haste thing that happens around spawn!! I get healthy, I get fast, what's to hate????

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-11, 14:13

I don't mind the health business. I just feel like I've been shot out of a canon and can't go through doors to save my life.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-06-11, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
We are looking at a base approximately 50 x 50. I don't think we'll need all that, but it might be close. It will be in the middle of the entrance into the harbor, and be around 150 blocks high.

Looks good. Build away.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-12, 13:39

I swear, Nether portals are the most finicky contraptions in this game!

I've been trying to construct a Nether portal between the hub and the top of the WhammerDome for who knows how long and I keep getting the exact same result. The dome portal links to the nether portal just fine, but then the nether portal links to spawn. When Jess and I were building the portal at the Eiffel Tower, we got the same results, only we were popping out of Bruce's portal. So, I shut off Bruce's portal and the problem went away. I thought that might also have fixed the dome portal problem, but helz no!

Overworld coordinates: 323/200
Nether Coordinates: 40/25

The overworld portal is 3x3, while the nether portal is 2x3. I've tried making them both the same size but nothing changes; they both face the same direction. Ugh!

Any ideas?!?!?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2014-06-13, 08:30

If you turn on the portal view in mcmaps it looks like you have 2 portals next to each other (322.5 / 324.5), but clearly you don't. Maybe the larger portals need the corners to be obsidian to function properly? Dunno. Just throwing that out there as I have a 3x3 in the basement of my place and it shows up as a single portal.

The only other suggestion I'd have is to disable both, light the one in the Nether and have someone topside ready to light the one in the dome after. May be just my own MC voodoo, but it feels like lighting the Nether first (and not going through it) then lighting the one topside has always worked for me when trying to match exact coords.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-13, 11:15

Thanks for the tip, Grey. But no go. I tired adding Obsidian to the corners and nothing. So I decided to take a chance with another idea. I broke the Spawn portal beneath the Space Needle and tried my portals out. They worked perfectly in both directions. I was hoping breaking spawn would force the other tow to tie together permanently, but when I relit Spawn, my problem reappeared.

I thought it might be a proximity issue, but Bruce's portal was slightly closer and it was working fine.

One more idea to try.

Update: Alas, I am truly stumped. I have tried everything I know to try and cannot get my portals to work together without shutting down spawn, and that's just not an option. Although, I am wondering if it might be a height thing? The floor of the dome is 80-ish blocks higher than Spawn.

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-06-13 at 17:38.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-13, 17:41

Portal via on the map doesn't handle portal of any size other than 3x2 well at all. It seems to make as many portals show as it would take to cover the internal area of the portal. So a 3x3 would display 2 portals on the map. This is the midgets reason that Bruce's portal farm thing showed so many portals.

I do recall us running into an issue of portals being to close in an earlier world but don't recall much of it to be any real help. Sorry.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-15, 12:47

Unrelated to Ken's portal issues (I wish I could help, but alas…), I've been sitting on an idea for a while that I'd like to throw at you guys now for feedback. I mentioned it in-game last night to IJak/TPoit because he said he was looking for a place to mine a lot of sand.

How would you feel about having a second over-world? The intent of the second world would be to give us a new, temporary playground for exploring, adventuring, spelunking, and mining without having to wildly bloat up our main world. The second world would only ever live for the duration of one week. Via a scheduled script, that second world would go poof and be replaced with a new world and different seed every, say, Friday morning.

There would be no land claims (no generated mcmaps) and it would have only temporary housing/storage structures. It would be a free-for-all area that periodically gets a clean slate.

You'd get there via a special portal or button/machine/thing that I'd construct with a magic cross-world teleport command. Getting back... well... I haven't quite worked that out yet. One easy solution would be for everyone to just use the /back command, but that's not ideal. Another solution would be for the first visitor to make a nether portal, and that *should* link to the regular nether which in turn links to the regular world. I'll continue thinking about this one, and until I have a proper solution, I may just manually create a return portal for the first couple of worlds.

Return trip issue aside, what do you guys think about this?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-15, 14:27

I like the idea but think there shouldn't even be housing. Tard towers abound! Make it as barren of development as realistic if it's going to be there for mining. Storage, that's what pockets are for.

Really though I wouldn't care since there is no land claiming or other such "rights" in that world. I'd go running just for run in it. While there is storage room for this proposed section in the SSD I think it should go in "longstore" so it suffer the lag of NFS and platters.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-15, 14:32

I cannot express enough how much I LOVE this idea!!!

Love

Love

LOVE!!!

It would be also more even awesomer if this could be done with the Nether as well.

I LOVE exploring the Nether, but I keep it to a bare minimum because of bloat. I think other players (Spec?) love exploring, too, but we all keep it in check because of the world bloat issues. However, if you have this ability, I'm all for it ten thousand and one percent!

With this, we could have "unlimited" and always fresh exploring potential where our loot is stored in our "spawn world" homes, and exploring is done in the virtual worlds that get refreshed every week.

DUDE!

This is brilliant beyond my capacity to express with smilies!

Perhaps an element of "danger" could be added as well? Perhaps these worlds could be set to UHC difficulty, you know, to make it more interestinger? And I'm with Turtle. Who needs "homes" in these places? You store stuff there, you're asking for trouble when it refreshes. Just saying'.

Edit: Jess just mentioned something regarding UHC. What I mean by UHC is not "health revived only with golden apples and you-die-you're-out" stuff. Just bad-ass monsters and such. Make gameplay more difficult somehow to keep it interesting and mysterious.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-21, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I cannot express enough how much I LOVE this idea!!!
So, I've been thinking about how to get to this new world, and I came up with a solution. It'll require a moderately large structure, though.

Land claim time!

The thing I have in mind would have a footprint of 13x13 and stand about 25 tall. I marked out a rough outline with some wood. Its closest neighbor is SpecMode's original mountain home. The top is slightly lower than the floor of Spec's mountain windows. The second shot is from the top of the money bin.

Any objections to this location?

¡Damned!

2014-06-22, 07:50

How did I miss this? It's great!

Will /back work between the two worlds? Ken wants to know.

This'll be great for the times we need a little adventure between builds. Fun!

At least this way we can keep a water temple intact here in the Overworld. I really want to dry one out from the inside and use it for something. They're so cool looking.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-22, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Any objections to this location?
None yet? I'm going to go ahead and start on this now. It's a very boxy shape. So, it'll be easy to magic to somewhere else if the location offends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Will /back work between the two worlds? Ken wants to know.
It should work the same as if you were to /back between the nether and overworld. Meaning... let's find out!

Quote:
This'll be great for the times we need a little adventure between builds. Fun!
Precisely!

¡Damned!

2014-06-22, 17:24

Quote:
It's a very boxy shape. ...
Something old, something new, something borrowed and.... ?

I was looking at the spot earlier today and that occurred to me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-22, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Something old, something new, something borrowed and....
...something that makes a horrible screeching sound when you turn it on?

Naah. Can't be. Doesn't rhyme. The cadence is all screwed up, too.
¡Damned!

2014-06-22, 20:15

It'd be brilliant if it actually *is* that, what with exploring a new world every week.

I sat out front of the claim for a good 15 minutes wondering what type of machinery you had to design to warp us from one world to another and how it had to be so *big*.

I could be wrong, of course. It was just a guess given the rough dimensions and the purpose.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-22, 21:04

I'm a bit tardy to this discussion, I wonder what it will be??!!

¡Damned!

2014-06-22, 21:13

There will be some policing of info until it's finished. Some of the surrounding area may need to be doctored though.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-22, 22:05

IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: If you use /back while you're in the other world, it will only take you to that world's spawn. It will NOT take you back to the main overworld.

That said, I've created a magic portal in the other world near x = -16, y = 64, z = 242 that should take you back home. Currently, that's the only way of getting back. Sooo... be careful out there!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-22, 22:16

oh and also by the way it's a tardis

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-22, 23:16

This place is awesome!